5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2" engine and trans lift and axle balance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 12:33 AM

Project is still underway! I scheduled time this week to pull everything out, and start fabing! I won't be driving anywhere for a while I guess, lol!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:37 PM

I got my truck back on Registration and Insurance so I can drive it for the next week! The car will be getting the mounts pulled...then then ES Polyurethane installed, and a spare set of mounts modified for the lift

Going to replace the valve cover gaskets, and paint the rear cover red. I may pull the motor and trans to do a grip of new gaskets, and paint the entire engine and trans a nice red/black also!! These mounts better pay off, lol!!

Project starts on THURSDAY!!

Last edited by 00Lightsout; 04-26-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:37 AM

GL man...i just did my valve covers *horrendous job to remove them*...i used VHT black wrinkle...looks like sex lol
Old 04-27-2011, 09:35 AM

Interesting idea, just so I can try and understand this correctly... this is all due to the vehicle being lowered? Exactly how much of a drop are we talking about here?
Old 04-27-2011, 09:53 AM

alot....at least OVER a 2" drop...i was tucking tire on my 17s w/ vibration issues..raised it back up..its not as bad..if i raise it up more it'd be it'd be gone..but then i wouldnt want coilovers...so they stay
Old 04-27-2011, 03:23 PM

^^ yup! over 2" drop...I'm going to do my best to make two different kits one 1" engine lift kit, and one 2" engine lift kit, then test them both to see which helps the most.

also may flip the steering! and set up a jig for fab'n some lower control arms.<<---that's gonna be a toughy!

my truck gets 10mpgs!!!....so i'll want to work fast at this to get my 25mpgs back asap!
Old 04-28-2011, 04:35 AM

LOL i'm at 26mpg...
Old 04-28-2011, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
LOL i'm at 26mpg...
with what mods???
Old 04-29-2011, 04:14 AM

ypipe and custom catback (cattman axleback and 22" resonator) stage 1 clutch, LWFW, thats pretty much the extent of it..
Old 04-29-2011, 01:19 PM

ypipe and custom catback (cattman axleback and 22" resonator) stage 1 clutch, LWFW, thats pretty much the extent of it..
Nice!
Things are coming together with my car very nicely!
Old 05-26-2011, 11:41 PM

excited for the parts to get powdercoated and installed...test drive by the end of next week if everything goes the way I planned crossing my fingers
Old 05-27-2011, 04:11 AM

what...no progress pics?! you bout to get bant lol
Old 05-27-2011, 07:34 AM

in, for ideas for other cars
Old 05-27-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by 00Lightsout
ENERGY SUSPENSION has them...if you have an auto and don't mind getting rid of your electronically controlled motor mounts these will still fit. I disconnected the electronics a bit ago anyways, !

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=7.1114
How do I know what these 2 engine mounts are for? I have a right side engine mount thats cracked and this site doesnt explain anything about the mounts - Anyone that has purchased these give any insite on which mounts for the engine these are for?
Old 05-27-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sterling
How do I know what these 2 engine mounts are for? I have a right side engine mount thats cracked and this site doesnt explain anything about the mounts - Anyone that has purchased these give any insite on which mounts for the engine these are for?
Those mounts are NOT for the passenger side or the transmission mount. Those mounts are for the lower front, and lower rear torque mounts. TOTALLY worth it
Old 05-27-2011, 02:42 PM

what...no progress pics?! you bout to get bant lol

NOTICE that all my pix and measurements have been removed from the thread. If this Kit helps I'd like to get them into small production to start. Y'all can bant me all you like , but I decided to try this project first ....sooo I'm going to build my kits, run my tests, check all clearances, offer a couple different colors of metalic powder coating, get the a company logo engraved....then if it all checks out, i'd like to sell the kits under a new company name starting here on the org and become a sponsor of the site

I've got some great ideas for the 5th and 5.5 gen max's, and hope to be able to produce a high quality product and sell them.

Thanks for the support everyone! things are going GREAT!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2011, 02:45 PM

if that passenger side motor mount is cracked you need to replace it with a stock mount from your local autoshop, or from an online site.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:19 PM

i've got soo many idea's I wish I had a team to help me get things started quicker! I want to start with the 5/5.5 gen, then move to the 7th gen Maxima and 350/370z/G35/G37. I also would like to get a NISSAN company truck from the NISSAN COMERCIAL VEHICLES line, and MOD the craaaap out of it! dreams and wishes for now
Old 05-28-2011, 06:42 AM

I don't mean to thread hi jack - I'm actually following your progress -

Where online can I purchase the right side mount - I'm sure the ones energysuspension are selling are sturdy but that's more labor for the shop is what the impression I'm getting...
Old 05-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Banned

Where online can I purchase the right side mount - I'm sure the ones energysuspension are selling are sturdy but that's more labor for the shop is what the impression I'm getting...
Look on Amazon and ebay you can pick up all 3 mounts in a set pretty cheap.If your going to do the ES mounts you neet to pick up a set of Manual motor mounts take the Rad and Firewall side ones cut out the rubber and press the ES bushings in there its really not that much work.There is no ES option for the Pass and trans side that i currently know of.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:42 AM

^^ cutting out the rubber is not how it should be done, you need to get the rubber and the metal sleeve pressed out, then lube the ES mount with a tad of soapy water or WD40 and press in the mount. I've got pix that i'll upload
Old 05-29-2011, 11:46 AM

it's all good

here ya go! there are PLENTY on Ebay, and all different prices. the aluminum mounts usually cost more b/c of the casting and better quality of rubber in the mount.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BECK-...Q5fAccessories
Old 05-30-2011, 04:36 AM

do work man, do work!! i hope it works out
Old 06-01-2011, 12:48 PM

heading to junkyard hunt down by the Mexico border for some pix of the engine bay w/o a motor, and to grab a few parts to mock up a jig to be able to make these suckers even more perfectly!! Gonna be a loooonger day but I love it!
Old 06-01-2011, 06:34 PM

got my pix, and all the parts I need I will say that finding a 4th-7th gen maxima is VERY difficult, lol!
Old 06-04-2011, 01:27 PM

http://sandiegopowdercoating.com/colors.html

Monday!!! all considering my welder stops acting like CRAP!!

I'm thinking a metallic ruby gloss red, hammered bronze, metalic gloss blue, black gloss, and gloss metalic silver.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:33 PM

well, my welds are not as smooth as I like, but good penetration and coverage.

Decided on a non metalic engine Red paint until i make a better welded set.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:52 PM

finished 1/2 of a second set of motor mounts this evening now to fab the side mounts tomorrow and wed.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:29 AM

cant wait man...no teaser shots at least?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:41 PM

cant wait man...no teaser shots at least?
patience young grasshopper any pix would give away my designs
Old 06-08-2011, 06:03 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Do you have an estimated time for completion of this project since your not posting pics?

I personally dont see the problem with posting pics up by the way. Maxima owners are generally too cheap to go out and try to copy this design. But I respect your decision to not post progress pics, especially if there's a legal issue behind it. But for myself, I know that I would have more trust in a product if I see how its made/quality of products used. Especially something as important as motor mounts.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:13 AM

x2...i dont have time for my car to be down that long, much less do this kind of work/weld...but thats his decision
Old 06-08-2011, 06:29 AM

Ummmm is it weird that my front tires are tucked yet I don't have any binding or vibration with my max *knocks on wood*
Old 06-08-2011, 06:44 AM

you better knock harder lol...you are fortunate. how long have you been driving like that?
Old 06-08-2011, 06:56 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Originally Posted by Murdadremedy
Ummmm is it weird that my front tires are tucked yet I don't have any binding or vibration with my max *knocks on wood*
Thats not weird at all. I thought the same thing too until I heard that first *click*
Old 06-08-2011, 08:11 AM

Well it just started getting nice over here weather wise so I only went low to the point. Of tucking about 2 weeks ago...what are some of the tells that I'm beginning to bind? Because I'm starting to wonder how low OP is if he's having problems to warrant this exstensive work...I'm not slammed but to me I'm pretty low
Old 06-08-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by essential1
Do you have an estimated time for completion of this project since your not posting pics?

I personally dont see the problem with posting pics up by the way. Maxima owners are generally too cheap to go out and try to copy this design. But I respect your decision to not post progress pics, especially if there's a legal issue behind it. But for myself, I know that I would have more trust in a product if I see how its made/quality of products used. Especially something as important as motor mounts.
I just got back from the ER after 6 hrs...almost lost an eye over this project

You will trust the product when you finally see it, I promise you that. Once the project is finished, and the upgrade performs as I intend it to, and the possibility of not infringing on another patent have been taken care of...the pix will be posted. I never intended to keep it a secret for a long, only until I'm in the clear to share the design knowing that other fabricators cannot jip my design because of a pending patent...I've had it happen once before and learned. I'd like to possibly get a set CNC machined out of aluminum down the road with all pressed in poly inserts...but that's gonna COST me!!

pix will be posted asap

As for Murdadremedy...after only 2 weeks you probably won't notice it...but after a few months the vibrations will start during acceleration, then effect your motor mounts, and braking vibrations may occur. Keep a sensitive feel on your pedals and steering wheel.

my designs are simple, but effective...and a letter of inception has been filed so I'm covered there.

I'd like to work in a custom fab shop, but my legs/feet don't like that idea because of my degenerating leg & feet tendons. I would love to purchase a CAD program to make this all easier. If this does not fix the problem, then I'll have to move onto another idea. Projects take me a little longer b/c I get around slowly, and right now I'm only rock'n one eye thanks to my cutting wheel...but I still get things done.

I've gone through I think 3 sets of axles since I bought the car lowered(then dropped it more), new lower control arms(stock, yuck), hubs, several rotors, all motor mount replaced once, lower rear mount replaced twice, new tokico struts all around, custom coils w/ 3.2 drop(not slammed), new bump stops and boots, new isolator caps(for s**ts and giggles), new tie rods, new LMGT4's......basically the entire front suspension has been rebuilt less the rack and pinion and original sway bar. I also replaced most of the engine sensors, and all emission sensors thinking it was engine shake.

I boiled the problem down to being BAAAAD wheel hop...and the only culprit is that once a maxima is lowered...it seems to be inevitable that the CV's will evenually bind. I did the solid mount 'upgrade' for the crossmember and ES mounts...this has helped a lot, but I'm 99% sure that the rest of it is the CV's being so far out of stock specs. The new mounts will go in, and axles replaced again, then cross my fingers and run a few tests. Thank GOD that Nissan gave us enough engine bay space to re-align the CV's and keep our dropped Maxima's.

my Maxima, Penelope, has 191k...and the ONLY thing that bothers me is the shake, and a couple window switches rattle a tad. Call me OCD, but I like a tight car.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:48 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

I just got back from the ER after 6 hrs...almost lost an eye over this project
That sucks! I hope it heals fast.

...I would love to purchase a CAD program to make this all easier. ...
Use Google SketchUp. Drawings can easily be transferred into a CNC program like Mastercam when you're at that point.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:44 AM

if you have the designs sketched up i can draw them up for you for a small fee
Old 06-09-2011, 01:10 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

if you have the designs sketched up i can draw them up for you for a small fee
If the designs were sketched up, I would think the easiest thing to do would be scan them and import them into a CAD program. Then add your constraints. Done.

Quick Reply: 2" engine and trans lift and axle balance.