5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

LED blinker problems with anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 09:27 PM

LED blinker problems with anybody?

So I have been searching and searching all over the forums and other websites to see if someone has a resolution to my problem. I have LED blinkers on the front side on my 2000 SE with a 3ohm resistor. Im wondering if anyonee has had the same problem I have and if you can help me. When I turn on my parking lights, the LED blinkers should turn on and stay on just like the halogen bulbs do and get brighter when you turn the blinker on correct? Well when I have my parking lights on the lights stay off and they only blink when I actually turn on my blinkers. Does anybody know what I can do? Thanks for your help.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:38 PM

LED's don't have 2 filaments, actually, they don't have a filament at all.

You need to search, google, wikipedia.

Learn a bit about incandecent bulbs (stock), then read about basic LED's

The incandecent bulbs in your front marker/signals have 2 filaments (part that lights up), one is 'high intensity', the other is 'low'.

Parking light is low intensity, signal is high.

Your LED has one intensity, on or off, there's no reasonable alternative.

Install your stock bulbs. Then if you're hellbent to have LED's in there, you need to do a lot more research, you can purchase 'switchback' LEDs, or LED bulbs that have different intensities (a bunch of low intensity leds, and a bunch of high intensity leds mounted on the same bulb)

The costs to get properly functioning LED lights where you want them are going to be STUPID high. And at the end of it all, they won't really look much better. Waste of money, put it in the fuel tank instead.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:54 PM

Thank you very much for all the useful information. I do understand that LED bulbs are different from the regular 2 filament bulbs first because they use such low current and they are high intensity. I thought it was normal which it makes sense now that it is. I just have seen many cars driving around with their LED lights turned on but dimmed while driving with their headlights. So im guessing they got those super expensive bulbs with the low intensity light and high intensity light all in the same bulb. It makes sense now. Thank you again
Old 04-09-2011, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by xspanishxkidx
Thank you very much for all the useful information. I do understand that LED bulbs are different from the regular 2 filament bulbs first because they use such low current and they are high intensity. I thought it was normal which it makes sense now that it is. I just have seen many cars driving around with their LED lights turned on but dimmed while driving with their headlights. So im guessing they got those super expensive bulbs with the low intensity light and high intensity light all in the same bulb. It makes sense now. Thank you again
No no no.

Firstly, LED's are NOT 'bulbs', they are Diodes. Specificallly, Light Emitting Diodes.

They do not come in varying 'intensities' persay.
There are some that are brighter than others, different styles, etc, but not in the way you're thinking.

LED brightness is controlled by Resistors. If you have a bright LED, and hook up a higher resistor, the LED becomes 'dimmer'.

You really need to research more, you are out of your element, and are not understanding what I'm saying.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:48 AM

Okay so now I am pretty confused... You called them bulbs yourself. But okay will do then. Thanks
Old 04-09-2011, 06:08 AM

They make 'bulb' type units, made to fit into stock harnesses, this is the style you likely have. As I said, that's basically just a bunch of LEDs put together. Sorry to confuse you. It's not a 'bulb'

Again, research.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
They make 'bulb' type units, made to fit into stock harnesses, this is the style you likely have. As I said, that's basically just a bunch of LEDs put together. Sorry to confuse you. It's not a 'bulb'

Again, research.
Okay thank you. That is also what I meant by LED bulb. I meant they were "bulb" type units. I will do more research.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:14 AM

I pretty sure you can find led lamps that function with dual intensity. They are made for your tail/brake light.