5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Yet another uspension question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 04:47 AM

Yet another uspension question

I would like to firm up the ride on my Maxima so it's similar to a BMW or Audi in firmness. I realize it will never handle like those cars, I'm just providing an idea of the ride firmness I want. These other criteria also play into things:

**no coilovers, not on a coilover budget
**no drop in ride height please
**must be able to work with OEM springs
**not too firm please, I'm not about dodging every pothole and dip in the road.

I'm just looking to firm things up a bit, the stock GLE shocks are so bouncy as to be a bit scary at times (no, they're not worn out).

Disclaimer: Search function was used but did not provide the exact information I need. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:33 AM
dot dot dot ...

It's like asking for pizza without crust, tires w/o rubber, brakes without calipers.

Anyhow, Rochester, very well known character on the org may be able to help. He seems to share your same ambitions.

In a nutshell your options are SE springs, upgraded bushings, end links, strut bars, RSB's, perhaps some SFC's, and of course super sticky tires and possibly some upgraded + size wheels.

Although these items might exploit the stock suspension.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
It's like asking for pizza without crust, tires w/o rubber, brakes without calipers.

Anyhow, Rochester, very well known character on the org may be able to help. He seems to share your same ambitions.

In a nutshell your options are SE springs, upgraded bushings, end links, strut bars, RSB's, perhaps some SFC's, and of course super sticky tires and possibly some upgraded + size wheels.

Although these items might exploit the stock suspension.
How is this an unreasonbale request?

I've done the lowered, uber-stiff suspension setup before on both a VW GTI and a Ford Focus. They handled awesome, however they were not suitable for family use. I'm now sharing my car with a wife and child, so it's not like I can have that type of suspension anymore.

European cars have the type of suspension I'm looking for from the factory - they are stiff enough that you're not bobbing all over the place after a dip or pothole, but they have enough "give" that you aren't filled with horror when you see an unavoidable pothole.

I can see where upgraded bushings would take some of the slop out of things, but the right set of dampers should control the "floaty" feeling I'm trying to lose. Coil-overs would be good because you could set the stiffness and ride height to what you want, but I'm not spending close to $1000 on suspension for a 9 year old car.

So I'll take my dampers on the stiff side, my pizza with black olives and sausage please, my tires WITH rubber on them, and my brakes WITH calipers.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:55 AM

you are also saying that you want to have a family car that is firm........if you are concerned about the family as you are and worry about it being suitable..a firm ride isnt very suitable for a family, you can call me crazy, but that was my main concern whenever i dealt w/ my suspension. right now i'm on BC coilovers...best ride hands down on any vehicle i've pretty much ridden in.

at the end of the day though, get some Tokico Illuminas..they are 5-way adjustable struts...they are about a $500 set of struts, but you opted out on coilovers so this is your next best option IMO. should give you what you're looking for
Old 04-19-2011, 06:56 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Maxident
How is this an unreasonbale request?

As for unreasonable requests, get used to my sarcasm, it wont go away.

Maxima is Japanese, not European. We're not miracle workers here.

Also forgot to mention the obvious ... upgraded struts. Illuminas seem to be favorites around here. 5 different stiffness settings.

All of the aforementioned items will probably cost upwards of 1000$ though, just an FYI.

Do some research on all of the items I mentioned, see how you like the reviews, and make your decision that way.

That seems like the most logical idea.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-19-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
As for unreasonable requests, get used to my sarcasm, it wont go away.

Maxima is Japanese, not European. We're not miracle workers here.

Also forgot to mention the oblivious ... upgraded struts. Illuminas seem to be favorites around here. 5 different stiffness settings.

All of the aforementioned items will probably cost upwards of 1000$ though, just an FYI.
Do some research on all of the items I mentioned, see how you like the reviews, and make your decision that way.

That seems like the most logical idea.
truth...the money you're going to spend on all those other things, plus the set of illuminas...you can get a set of GOOD set of used coilovers for the same or even cheaper. i wish i would have gotten coilovers like i planned to from the jump...as far as keeping the family into consideration with ride comfort...dont get D2s or Ksports.

Megans might be a perfect route for you if you can find some used
Old 04-19-2011, 07:01 AM

first off you can search a little harder..here on the org for quote "how to make a maxima handle like a bmw"..kinda funny ur comment is a thread title

you said u searched and I belive you but the org has so much information you have to search more than normal...

you'll want tokico Illuminas with stock se springs and most importantly SFC's short for Subframe Connectors. You will be happy with that and not have any regrets with your familys well being and comfort.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:09 AM
dot dot dot ...

Note: The Truax connectors & subframe collars (first 2 links) are very different items.

http://forums.maxima.org/group-deals...last-time.html
http://forums.maxima.org/group-deals...e-collars.html
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-new-pics.html
http://www.shiftice.com/

The rest are self explanatory (Struts/Bushings/RSTB/FSTB/RSB)

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-19-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:14 AM

use spring rubbers just an idea. nascar uses them
Old 04-19-2011, 07:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I suggest bushings, strut tower braces, and subframe connectors. You could also add better struts/shocks (Konis or Tokico Illuminas) with either stock springs or something with higher spring rates like Eibach or H&R (these will lower you by an inch, though). That's probably the closest you'll come to a more solid feeling ride.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:08 AM

I would suggest attending a local Maxima meet, there you will see all different suspension setups. http://forums.maxima.org/northeastern-u-s-11/

I replaced every wear item when I did my suspension (H&R and Tokico Illuminas). I ride is sporty, but not harse. The is minor, but still noticeable.

If I see you at a meet you are welcome to drive my car.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:28 AM

Unfortunately your request seems nearly impossible. Especially considering your budget. Loosen the purse strings a little and you will be able too do the following:

Truax Subframe Connectors
Delrin Subframe Collars
Tokico Illuminas
Progress Rear Sway Bar
Energy Suspension Poly Bushings for:
Rear trailing Arms
Front swaybar
Front lower subframe

All told this will be well over $1000, but I believe that is what NMEX was eluding too...you can't make a major change without majorly changing things.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:42 AM

not to mention the completely different chassis' that the European vehicles have.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:48 AM

and dont forget the 500" turning radius...
Old 04-19-2011, 11:13 AM

OK, got it - can't firm up without major expense - I think you guys misunderstood me, I was using the Euro car example to give you a ballpark idea what I'm looking for. I realize that this car will never handle like a beemer unless you do some radical stuff to the car.

In any event, I think I need to post this over at "grassroots motorsports" since they specialize on cheapsk...... I mean frugal car builds.

I'd love to take you up on a demo ride sometime RLW001, don't know if I'll have time to make it to a meet this summer, but I'll try.

Thanks for your help everyone.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:24 AM
dot dot dot ...

OK, got it - can't firm up without major expense - I think you guys misunderstood me, I was using the Euro car example to give you a ballpark idea what I'm looking for. I realize that this car will never handle like a beemer unless you do some radical stuff to the car.

In any event, I think I need to post this over at "grassroots motorsports" since they specialize on cheapsk...... I mean frugal car builds.

I'd love to take you up on a demo ride sometime RLW001, don't know if I'll have time to make it to a meet this summer, but I'll try.

Bushings, SE springs and subframe collars. Shouldn't be more than 150-200$. <--Best option for you.

The subframe connectors and struts will run about 350 for SFC's + 400-600 for struts.

RSTB/FSTB typically run around 25-100$ depending on brand and vendor.

RSB = ~ 100-150$
Old 04-19-2011, 11:35 AM

$900.....i'd just get coilovers
Old 04-19-2011, 11:47 AM

I've got all that stuff and my handling is awesome, but yes turning radius can go to hell...still though i have a 240sx with just springs when i first bought it and it felt better..period..........get a different car or keep it as is if you dont want to spend the money
Old 04-19-2011, 11:58 AM

GRM would be able to help for sure.

If there was ONE thing to pick, it would be subframe connectors. They are $350 in the GD section now, plus cost of welding them on.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
$900.....i'd just get coilovers
Good coilovers absorb bumps better than most spring/strut combos, but they don't solve the chassis issue, because on really bad roads even with coilovers you're gonna feel like the car is about to fall apart. SFCs help that to a (limited) degree.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:10 PM

cant say that with mine...