5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

3rd gear crunch... i think???

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 06:53 PM

3rd gear crunch... i think???

o.k im still a MT newb, not necessarily to driving one but diagnosing or troubleshooting issues with em... all this time the car ran fine until i went to go pick my moms up to get her phone fixed i noticed i started getting a 3rd gear crunch, it makes a fairly loud crunch, its kinda weird because if i down shift it wont crunch but under normal driving conditions it will make a very noticeable crunch... i will be changing gear oil this weekend just to make sure but would there or should there be anything else that can cause this thats an easy fix???
Old 04-26-2011, 06:58 PM
L36

Change the gear oil, make sure you use GL4 speced oil, unless syncos were changed to a different metal in MT6 speed, since i have 5 speed and putting GL5 lube in 5MT is a recipe for a disaster.

If the issue persists, you have a bad synco on 3rd gear, unless the clutch does not disengage all the way, but if it did not, all the gears would grind....

Last edited by L36; 04-27-2011 at 05:17 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:01 PM

mmm gotcha... thanks for the info... luckily im off for the week, ill try to minimize the driving til i get to it, is this asmoil GL4 sold on shelf at advance auto or autozone?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
mmm gotcha... thanks for the info... luckily im off for the week, ill try to minimize the driving til i get to it, is this asmoil GL4 sold on shelf at advance auto or autozone?
I got mine from the group buy guy (rooster something? lol). It was 44 shipped.

I doubt you can find it local unless you're close enough to pick it up direct.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:39 PM

Have you checked your shift control unit? Mounts to your tranny, just make sure everything is tight. Best way to check it is to have someone run through the gears while you watch the control unit move. Make sure it's moving freely through the gears with engine running, and with engine off. That will help eliminate the linkages/cable as a potential issue.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:43 PM

The amsoil isn't sold in stores as far as i know. Couldn't find it at any pepboys, autozone, advance auto, etc. I ended up ordering from someone on here named talkinghorse i believe. He's got alotta good feedback.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:05 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesnt the FSM/dealer recomend a fluid called matic J or K (cant remember which is which) for the 6 speeds? As long as I've been on the .org i've never seen anyone recomend this. I know it's expensive, but if that's what is recommended...

Is the amsoil stuff in the GD section the same?
Old 04-27-2011, 05:25 AM

It is standard on all 6mt's
Old 04-27-2011, 05:29 AM

^this

Get the amsoil from teh vendor GB section, thats where i got mine. i hope you havent already murdered another trans
Old 04-27-2011, 06:07 AM

Hustler, if you're researching gear oil, consider Redline MT-85. But if you've got the 3rd gear crunch, new or different gear oil isn't going to help matters much.

What will change things up is to stabilize the overall movement in your engine, transmission and gear shifter. You can do this with ES bushings in your engine torque mounts, ES bushings on both ends of your shifter cable, and ES bushings underneath your shifter linkage. Even better, the NWP Torque Link connector will keep things from moving.

Welcome to the Crunch Crew, buddy.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:22 AM

Yea like as soon as it happened I was like, "welp I've officially been cursed with this 3rd gear crunch" lol... I doubt its the transmission as when I down shift into 3rd there is no crunch at all, and also if I shift really really slow there is no crunch... I keep forgettng that I'm suppose to buy shifter bushings, slips my mind so often
Old 04-27-2011, 06:40 AM

if I shift really really slow there is no crunch...
That works, too. Although it kind of takes all the fun out of driving.

Start with the shifter bushings. It's a really inexpensive mod, and a total DIY.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:44 AM

Try using Redline MT-85. I just changed to this last week and it made shifter feel much improved. At first I was a little skeptical about it, but after reading other owner's results I bit the bullet and had my fluid changed to confirm they were accurate with their results. Shifter is much less notchy and seems to go into every gear easier. The coldest temperature I have driven in is about 45 degrees but I can tell you that even at that tempertaure I noticed a better result right away vs. my old fluid. As for 3rd gear crunch, I too had this at times but after the MT-85 change it has been reduced. I still get the crunch but just not as often or as hard as a crunch as before.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:45 AM

im trying to figure out why i'm so afraid of doing the shifter bushings...is it hard to press in? and how long does it generally take to do all of them
Old 04-27-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
im trying to figure out why i'm so afraid of doing the shifter bushings...is it hard to press in? and how long does it generally take to do all of them
I resisted the urge to mock you just long enough to offer this perspective: If I installed them, then you can.

The banjo bushings are very straight-forward. And there's a write-up for the bushings underneath the shifter assembly. You can do this.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:57 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by Rochester
Hustler, if you're researching gear oil, consider Redline MT-85. But if you've got the 3rd gear crunch, new or different gear oil isn't going to help matters much.

What will change things up is to stabilize the overall movement in your engine, transmission and gear shifter. You can do this with ES bushings in your engine torque mounts, ES bushings on both ends of your shifter cable, and ES bushings underneath your shifter linkage. Even better, the NWP Torque Link connector will keep things from moving.

^^^this.

After you've tightened everything up, you'll have to change your driving style a little to increase the time before replacement is necessary. Giving your transmission a half second or so to "pull" the shifter into 3rd helps decrease the effect that makes you wince and say ouch. I know you drive 'spirited' often(I do the same), but try to get most of it out of your system by the essential method. 3rd gear pulls. Make sure not to set it up so you're in 3rd before you go WOT. Also, that 'flat shift' crap ain't helpin' things either! Stop it.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:01 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

It's cake! Read through John's thread a couple times beforehand. Took me about an hour.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:05 AM

I resisted the urge to mock you just long enough to offer this perspective: If I installed them, then you can.

The banjo bushings are very straight-forward. And there's a write-up for the bushings underneath the shifter assembly. You can do this.
lol well..i guess i should try it. since the STS install my shifting has gotten firmer (pause), but i still feel it a being a bit sloppy in shifts, a sloppy that i think can be firmed up for a better shift
Old 04-27-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by essential1
Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesnt the FSM/dealer recomend a fluid called matic J or K (cant remember which is which) for the 6 speeds? As long as I've been on the .org i've never seen anyone recomend this. I know it's expensive, but if that's what is recommended...

matic j and k are for the 5 speed and all wheel drive auto tranns.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:11 AM

Like somebody stated before, you can try to use redline mt-85.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by nelledge
It's cake! Read through John's thread a couple times beforehand. Took me about an hour.
i do have a 5th.....
Old 04-27-2011, 07:24 AM

Apparently the type of fluid used is more critical than I hought.... I had went to a gas sttion to change my axle, yes I paid to change my axles due to laziness and iirc the person who did the axles didn't use any of fluids y'all listen here, in fact I think it was like a 75-90 or some crap like that, I wasn't payin too much attn, just me being a tad bit observative.... now they/y'all got me pranoid lol.... y'all know if this goes down ill be out for another 6 months
Old 04-27-2011, 07:29 AM

hurry up and change it son...i'm using Amsoil..seems ok to me, better than that Mobil 1 junk i had in there initially
Old 04-27-2011, 07:32 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by 321VQ35MAX
It is standard on all 6mt's
Except mine
Old 04-27-2011, 07:32 AM

Phatboislim, I don't know if the bushings kit applies to the 5MT, or if it's a 6MT thing only.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:33 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

i do have a 5th.....
Sorry. My mind was still in the context of Ghustle.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:04 AM

Rochester's spot-on with this one.

I had the 3rd gear crunch as well, but also occasionally a 4th and 5th gear crunch. I noticed, however, if I lined the shifter up as straight as possible going into any of the gears, the crunch was nearly eliminated (and completely gone into 5th), leading me to believe that my issue was simply either worn tranny mounts or shifter bushings.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:15 AM

Third gear crunch led to no 2nd gear at all for me still waiting for my car. No one in my town believes 02 maximas have limited slip for some reason. I hope I'm still ripping the pavement up 50/50.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by nelledge
Sorry. My mind was still in the context of Ghustle.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
Rochester's spot-on with this one.

I had the 3rd gear crunch as well, but also occasionally a 4th and 5th gear crunch. I noticed, however, if I lined the shifter up as straight as possible going into any of the gears, the crunch was nearly eliminated (and completely gone into 5th), leading me to believe that my issue was simply either worn tranny mounts or shifter bushings.
Yea its the same here, if I shift extra slow there will be little and some cases no crunch at all... which kinda leaves me to think its not really a transmission issue.... I'm just being observative drivin the car now and its like the car didn't really wanna come out of gear at one point, it came out... just not as smoothly as it use to... that only happened once then it was fine after.... sitting still the car shifts great, now I just shift slower than a turtle and it will go into gear without much crunching even though its not as smooth a transaction as 2nd to 3rd
Old 04-27-2011, 09:54 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Originally Posted by sasha87
Thanks.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:09 AM

what is this 3rd gear crunch yall speak of??

hope you get it resolved
Old 04-27-2011, 10:10 AM

Yeah, MT-85 has gone from barely different from stock at <32F to way, way better than whatever was in there at >~65F.

Does anyone else find it impossible to keep phatboi and ghustle straight? I've given up trying to remember who has what.

Post a video of your crunch noise, G. The only video I've seen was from somebody sitting in their car with the parking brake on, revving the engine up to 5K, then slamming it into 3rd. Yeah.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Eirik
Does anyone else find it impossible to keep phatboi and ghustle straight? I've given up trying to remember who has what.
all you need to know is my car is faster than his...coming out the shop, and on the road

Old 04-27-2011, 10:27 AM

I used to have minor crunch as well. But after changing to Redline-MT and ES bushings, its almost completely gone. Ghustle, I would highly recommand change them.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:28 AM

Lol wooow I would've never thought we'd be mixed up... he has a white 5th gen I have a sterling 5.5... my exhaust so loud you probebly won't hear it.... ill try though
Old 04-27-2011, 10:52 AM

Lol wooow I would've never thought we'd be mixed up... he has a white 5th gen I have a sterling 5.5... my exhaust so loud you probebly won't hear it.... ill try though
lol i think he's on some drugs
Old 04-27-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by essential1

Originally Posted by sasha87
Is everyone really ignoring this? Sorry can't do it.

Nissan Matic "D" is for Automatic, hence the name 'Matic'.

GL-4 is for the Manual Transmission, 5spd, 6spd, doesn't matter, they recommend GL-4 for BOTH.

There is no such thing as an OEM All wheel drive Maxima, or "matic j" or "matic k" either. What were you thinking about when you posted? Did you just feel like posting something? Nothing you posted has any merit, it's total nonsense.

sasha87, in the future, please post dumb, incorrect, unverified, and useless comments in the various threads that are designed for them. Such as:
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...on-thread.html
http://forums.maxima.org/test-posts-here-16/
http://forums.maxima.org/off-topic-15/
Old 04-27-2011, 11:43 AM

LULZ i think i saw it but overlooked it...i think my overlook dumb**** filter kicked in on that post
Old 05-09-2011, 08:01 AM

Serious noob question, but es bushings are "external shift bushings"?

Quick Reply: 3rd gear crunch... i think???