5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

P0605 Powertrain control module Rom error???

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 03:30 PM

P0605 Powertrain control module Rom error???

So a few days ago my "SET" light for my cruise control started to randomly blink while I was driving (didn't affect anything) so I checked and I'm throwing a 605. What the hell is a powertrain control module ROM error? Does the light have anything to do with it? I'm also throwing a IAT sensor input to high and 1464 for fuel sensor voltage. Car runs just fine. So what can I do about this 605 and what does it mean?
Old 05-09-2011, 06:31 PM

According to the 2003 FSM, P0605 is a ECU problem, 1 of 3 things.
A) ECM calculation function is malfunctioning.
B) ECM EEP-ROM system is malfunctioning.
C) ECM self shut-off function is malfunctioning.

The name "powertrain control module ROM error" is not what the FSM calls it although it has a similiar foreboding to it.

I would suggest disconnecting the battery cable and let it sit for about a half hour to reset the ECU. Reconnect the battery and see if the error re-occurs.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:26 AM

Yeah, I clicked on this thread out of curiosity because that is THE single-most dire OBDII code I've ever seen! Sucks to be you, OP.

Ford calls their ECUs PCMs, or they did on the Tauruses, at least.

It's doubtful that rebooting your ECU is going to do anything, 'cause a ROM error implies that the delicate ECU itself is screwed up. Big fun.

Edit: Weird.. Why does my 6MT (built 11.01) have a different ECU listed than yours (built after 12.01)?

Last edited by Eirik; 05-10-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:13 AM
dot dot dot ...

www.car-part.com + a dealer visit is way less than that link.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:23 AM

So you guys are trying to say I need a new ECU? The car is running just fine...
Old 05-10-2011, 10:32 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by colin_SE
So you guys are trying to say I need a new ECU? The car is running just fine...
No, I'm not saying that. But Eirik seems to think that, and I he's right, I gave you a more cost efficient option.

Your car sets off some weird codes, or rather uncommon codes.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:35 PM

lol I know right. Thats just my luck. The SAFC and stuff like that wouldn't be causing this stuff would it? It all started after my tune...
Old 05-10-2011, 01:20 PM

I can't say for certain that the SAFC is too blame, BUT, the likelihood that the tune is not to blame for getting Read-Only Memory errors in your ECU after you've been tinkering with its stored values (which should be the Electronically Eraseable-Programmable ROM which may or may not trip this code? Don't have access to the FSM at work to piggy-back off Dennis) is very low. That is, it could be coincidence... but probably isn't.

Did the tuner in question have any issues setting up the equipment and whatnot? Some kind of strange electrical surge while the programming equipment is changing values in the ECU could screw up something. Maybe you just need to do what NMex suggests and spin it by your local dealer to get re-flashed back to factory specifications. Like, the ECU's physical structure may not be corrupted or damaged, but some blocks in the ROM were screwed up from the tune which is tripping the code.

Naturally, all this is much less likely if the SAFC is just intercepting values from the sensors and feeding false ones to the ECU. I forget how it works.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:48 PM

Yea, the SAFC just changes the A/F signal going to the ecu. Thats why IDK why it would do this. Plus, soooo many people have the same mods as me yet I don't see anyone with my problems. The strangest thing is, with all these codes, my car is running perfectly, if not better.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:20 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by colin_SE
Yea, the SAFC just changes the A/F signal going to the ecu. Thats why IDK why it would do this. Plus, soooo many people have the same mods as me yet I don't see anyone with my problems. The strangest thing is, with all these codes, my car is running perfectly, if not better.
The SAFC is much simpler than this, it alters the the voltage signal from the MAF on it's way to the ECU, in turn conditioning the signal and altering the AFR.

Also, I wasn't suggesting a dealer visit for a reflash.

I was suggesting, if indeed your ECU is bad, a visit to www.car-part.com for a used ECU, and then a dealer visit for the key reprogram. This would be far less expensive than going to courtesy for a new ECU.

I guess I need to be more clear in this thread.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:07 AM

I got what you were saying, I just hope it doesn't have to come down to that.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
The SAFC is much simpler than this, it alters the the voltage signal from the MAF on it's way to the ECU, in turn conditioning the signal and altering the AFR.
Something Air-Fuel Controller, eh?

Also, I wasn't suggesting a dealer visit for a reflash.

I was suggesting, if indeed your ECU is bad, a visit to www.car-part.com for a used ECU, and then a dealer visit for the key reprogram. This would be far less expensive than going to courtesy for a new ECU.
Yeah, I understood that too, but I was stating that, if the ECU's hardware is not compromised and some freak circumstance corrupted part of the firmware, a simple reflash would fix the corrupted sectors, erase the OBD-II code, and fix any issues the engine/car is having that may or may not be noticed by the driver.

If it were me, I'd gamble on a re-flash, first, then buy a "new" ECU to get reprogrammed.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:24 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Eirik
Something Air-Fuel Controller, eh? .
Converter, controller is a strong word since, IMO, it implies DIRECT control.