5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Change to Synthetic Oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 07:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Change to Synthetic Oil ?

Hello,

I have been reading a bit on synthetic oil, and I am considering the Pennzoil Platinum with Amsoil Oil filter. But my car has been on conventional oil since it was 17K. Now, at about 140K, is it worth the change, as some have suggested increased risk of leaks?

And if I want to change to synthetic oil and Amsoil filters, where would the best/inexpensive sources to get them?

Thanks - Noela
Old 05-13-2011, 08:14 AM
Former Sponsor

From what I understand changing to synthetic at this point could cause leaks that you never had before. If the car has run good on regular oil why make the swap.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by Noela
Hello,

I have been reading a bit on synthetic oil, and I am considering the Pennzoil Platinum with Amsoil Oil filter. But my car has been on conventional oil since it was 17K. Now, at about 140K, is it worth the change, as some have suggested increased risk of leaks?

And if I want to change to synthetic oil and Amsoil filters, where would the best/inexpensive sources to get them?

Thanks - Noela

I would advise against switching to synthetic at this point. At 140k, I don't really believe that there is any benefit to it.

As it's well known... synthetic oil has been proven to have a higher level of protection than conventional oil. This is definitely true... so why would one be less inclined to use a better protecting oil simply because they have a higher mileage car? Isn't this a good reason to begin using it???

Well, it would be if you consider your engine wearing down over time, synthetic oil has been proven to reduce the wear, or rather... extend the time it takes for the engine to wear, when used on new engines. However, once an engine is already well down the road of wear and tear, the benefit of additional protection against engine wear is much reduced and I have yet to see any evidence that synthetic oil protects any better than conventional oil on an already used engine.

Just my 2 cents... but I don't really see there being a substantial benefit to switching to synthetic oil at this point in the car's life. I ignored my instincts and made the switch on my 02 Maxima at 112k miles from conventional to synthetic. All that happened was my car burned a quart of oil every 350 miles insteadn of every 1000 miles, and even after switching back to conventional.. that rate stayed.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by FCPImport
From what I understand changing to synthetic at this point could cause leaks that you never had before. If the car has run good on regular oil why make the swap.
it doesn't actually cause leaks... it simply reveals them. Most high mileage engines have imperfections that oil can leak through, however, many miles of conventional oil have created enough buildup to hide these imperfections and keep oil in the crankcase.

Switching to synthetic can remove the buildup and voila...

leaks.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:29 AM

I concur...synthetic oil can give added engine protection that conventional oil can not. It's a toss up and depends on how you view it. Either it's a waste of time and money or it's well worth it.

I bought this Max @ 96k miles and I believe that the previous owner ran conventional. Me being me, I jumped in with synthetic; Castrol Edge FS 10w30 w/ K&N filters. I'm one of the lucky ones in that I have an oil burner, yet I still run synthetic. And the saga continues...
Old 05-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rydicule
it doesn't actually cause leaks... it simply reveals them. Most high mileage engines have imperfections that oil can leak through, however, many miles of conventional oil have created enough buildup to hide these imperfections and keep oil in the crankcase.

Switching to synthetic can remove the buildup and voila...

leaks.
Right causes no reveals yes. Poor wording.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:42 AM

The general rule of thumb is try to get into Synthetic in the early mileage of the car and it will provide years of protection from wear that conventional oil may not prevent. With 140k, as has already been well argued, you'd be wasting your money at this point. Conventional oils are still going to provide advanced protection from the oils of years ago. So don't sweat it, save your money for something more useful.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:43 AM

Think about the costs. If leaks are revealed...that's going to cost more $ trying to resolve it or slow it down.

Last edited by exandr; 05-13-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:48 AM

For what its worth, I've switched several higher mileage cars such similar to ours to Synthetic and had not a single issue at all. My maxima is just at 135,000 miles and I don't plan to switch it because I change it every 3,000 on the dot.

I admire the power of the 3.5 but knowing my luck I'd get one that eats oil
Old 05-13-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by mrpopo573
For what its worth, I've switched several higher mileage cars such similar to ours to Synthetic and had not a single issue at all. My maxima is just at 135,000 miles and I don't plan to switch it because I change it every 3,000 on the dot.

I admire the power of the 3.5 but knowing my luck I'd get one that eats oil

Are you running synthetic or no?
Old 05-13-2011, 08:51 AM

No. Sorry if that wasn't clear, but as i stated, my car is near your mileage and because I change the oil like clockwork, I don't need synthetic. ( I also don't have a turbo, don't race on the track, etc)
Old 05-13-2011, 08:54 AM

Thanks for all the replies:

So in the absence of the synthetic oil, what other oil would you recommend, apart from the Nissan/OEM ?

Thanks - Noela
Old 05-13-2011, 08:57 AM

No. Sorry if that wasn't clear, but as i stated, my car is near your mileage and because I change the oil like clockwork, I don't need synthetic. ( I also don't have a turbo, don't race on the track, etc)

Never said you needed it. My point was going to be, that if you change your oil every 3k and you do run synthetic, then you are wasting your money and aren't getting the full benefits of synthetic. But you're not.

Some of us just get the "luck" of the draw. It is what it is.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:58 AM

So in the absence of the synthetic oil, what other oil would you recommend, apart from the Nissan/OEM ?

Thanks - Noela
Everyone has their favorite brand alliances....if you go to Bobistheoilguy.com you can read real wear reports of almost any oil. Penzoil Platinum is the most affordable quality synthetic, and its wear reports are very impressive. But since we are talking dino oil, I just use a good Wix Gold filter and whatever is on sale that isn't some scary off brand like Walmart oil.

Changing your oil on time is more important than the brand you pick.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by exandr
Never said you needed it. My point was going to be, that if you change your oil every 3k and you do run synthetic, then you are wasting your money and aren't getting the full benefits of synthetic. But you're not.

Some of us just get the "luck" of the draw. It is what it is.
I do run synthetic in the powerstroke and in my old track Miata, which both benefit in different ways from what synthetic does best. I use to be super **** and change my mobil 1 synthetic every 3500 in some past cars....I learned to let that go.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:07 AM

I do run synthetic in the powerstroke and in my old track Miata, which both benefit in different ways from what synthetic does best. I use to be super **** and change my mobil 1 synthetic every 3500 in some past cars....I learned to let that go.

Yea, I wish I hadn't started running synthetic because I'm burning oil, but I didn't troubleshoot the car in that manner when I got it. I just went **** off the top.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:23 AM

Yea, I wish I hadn't started running synthetic because I'm burning oil, but I didn't troubleshoot the car in that manner when I got it. I just went **** off the top.
Since the OP and you both have 3.5s, what is the root cause of oil burning for you guys? I saw some oil catch can threads that seemed to be trying to mitigate this.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:35 AM

Since the OP and you both have 3.5s, what is the root cause of oil burning for you guys? I saw some oil catch can threads that seemed to be trying to mitigate this.

I'm not really sure what the cause of mine is, but the root for most of us has to do with the pistons. If you search thru, you will find too many threads dealing with "oil burning" in our cars.

I have yet to have my mechanic check it out. My Front Valve Cover and Gasket should be here today, so I'm going to change that. I have a leak in that area, so hopefully by changing my FVC, it will slow down the leak. After I let my mechanic look at it next week I'll post his findings.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:52 AM

I am not sure what the cause of mine is -- but hopefully, when my mechanic changes the spark plugs next week, we shall find out if there are any leaks in the valve cover, and then hopefully, take it from there.

Thanks - Noela

Old 05-13-2011, 10:00 AM
L36

I bough my 2001 max at 120K miles from only 1 owner that had it since brand new. He ran synthetic for the entire time, changing the oil ever 4-5K miles.
I use synthetic aswell, my car barely burns a quart between oil changes.
Feels good man.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by L36
I bough my 2001 max at 120K miles from only 1 owner that had it since brand new. He ran synthetic for the entire time, changing the oil ever 4-5K miles.
I use synthetic aswell, my car barely burns a quart between oil changes.
Feels good man.

Last time I checked, the 2001 wasn't a 5.5...
Old 05-13-2011, 10:15 AM
L36

Last time I checked, the 2001 wasn't a 5.5...
It isn't, it was my $.02
Old 05-13-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by L36
It isn't, it was my $.02

Everyone is entitled.

I hate the oil burning, but I love the car too much to get rid of it.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:18 AM

I bought mine at 85,000 miles, had always been run on conventional oil. I switch to synthetic, ran it that way for 18,000 miles, then switched back to a 50/50 blend.

The straight synthetic was burning too much oil, the blend in 10-40wt burns only about 1/2 of what synthetic 5-30 burned.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:35 AM

I have an idea for the OP...Put conv. of any kind you pick and change it every 2k miles..Pick a Nissan filter too.I do that with my maxima.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
I have an idea for the OP...Put conv. of any kind you pick and change it every 2k miles..Pick a Nissan filter too.I do that with my maxima.
2000 miles are you nutz??? Even conventional motor oil should give you twice that. What you're doing is wasting money, and contributing to the ongoing waste disposal problem...
Old 05-13-2011, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
contributing to the ongoing waste disposal problem...
Why don't you blame "the cat gutters" before blaming me on the 2k miles oil intervals ?
Old 05-13-2011, 12:28 PM

Thanks - Noela
Everyone has their favorite brand alliances....if you go to Bobistheoilguy.com you can read real wear reports of almost any oil. Penzoil Platinum is the most affordable quality synthetic, and its wear reports are very impressive. But since we are talking dino oil, I just use a good Wix Gold filter and whatever is on sale that isn't some scary off brand like Walmart oil.

Changing your oil on time is more important than the brand you pick.
+1 for BITOG... there's a big thread that links to the 350z forum oil analysis thread.

the VQ35DE seems to do pretty well with Castrol GTX 5W30. I'm using GTX 10W40 b/c of my oil consumption and haven't had any issues yet. Need to send a sample over to Blackstone though.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:02 PM

I spoke to a Nissan Master Mechanic about switching to synthetic and he advised against it since synthetic has quite a few additives that cause the minor accumulation in your engine to possibly loosen and affect performance which can then lead to leaks. I've read some of your posts in that nothing has happened with the switch to synthetic, but if you are doing well with conventional, why switch? I have 239k miles on my 2000 SE (got it brand new) and have always used conventional oil with regular 3k changes. I've decided not to switch.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Bad *** Newb

On my 1st max ('00) I switched it to mobil 1 at 120k. But it was a 3.0, so no oil burning there, regardless. haha

I would switch b/c I do things on principle. I despise dino oil and think it's the devil.

2nd max ('02) switched around 70k (maybe 68) and no issues till the cats blew her up. It didn't burn a drop before those Fing cats.

3rd one ('03)...I'm not sure. I think it's had syn most of its life. It burns oil from engine braking, otherwise, it's minimal.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 05-13-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:23 PM

Hey.

I would like to share my thoughts.
I bought my car with 187000 miles. I bought it from an old lady. And I changed a week after doing research and put synthetic in. Becausei do way to much driving for normal oil. I am at 199600 and I don't leak at all. I don't know if the old lady used synthetic.

Also. My girlfriend has a Maxima and a couple of my friends im the only ones that uses synthetic and my a/c isn't on the fan belt. My car is faster and pulls off faster then my girlfriends with a 2001 gle with 122000. My friend 2000 se with 140000. And my other friend 2001 se 130000. But ny engine is the loudest out of them all. Its not like omg do you hear that engine but my girlfriends maxima I sometimes start it when it is already on because her car engine is so quite. I don't know if it is the switch I did. I don't know if it is the milage owhat but im going to find out.

But since I switched I will no go back cause it feels good knowing I don't have to change my milagr at 3000 miles.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:02 AM

I've never had a problem with synthetic. I got my 98' Maxima with 75k, now has 115k, and I have always used synthetic.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:22 AM

One thing to remember is that synthetic doesn't cause leaks, it may reveal them if any are present. In any case, its the luck of the draw. Scott's last Maxima burned oil, but after his car was totaled he got another one that doesn't.

If your car has 239k miles on it and it's only had conventional in it, I wouldn't recommend switching. I've owned a 90 SE (sold @ 315k), 98 SE (sold @ 167k), 03 SE (sold @ 155k), 07 SE (sold @ 166k) and now I'm driving an 03 SE as you can see. I've put synthetic in my last 3 Maximas. And as far as I know...those cars are still running strong. As is this one, despite the oil burn.

So, take everyone's experiences and make a decision.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by MaxVitesse
I spoke to a Nissan Master Mechanic about switching to synthetic and he advised against it since synthetic has quite a few additives that cause the minor accumulation in your engine to possibly loosen and affect performance which can then lead to leaks. I've read some of your posts in that nothing has happened with the switch to synthetic, but if you are doing well with conventional, why switch? I have 239k miles on my 2000 SE (got it brand new) and have always used conventional oil with regular 3k changes. I've decided not to switch.

All mechanics think differently about it. In your case...I would stick with conventional, changing @ 3k.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:30 AM

If you get platinum might ad well get ultra for 2 more dorras
Old 05-14-2011, 04:31 PM

Just wondering what problems have people have with synthetic. Where do the leaks occur most of the time? thanks
Old 05-14-2011, 10:43 PM

In our cars the primary place for leak is the rear valve cover gasket. You should also replace the seals as well.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by dondadah88
In our cars the primary place for leak is the rear valve cover gasket. You should also replace the seals as well.

...some leak from the rear, some the front, some both. If it is the front, as is with mine, they generally leak in the corners. Upgrading to 04 VCs helps. If you seals = gaskets, yes...change the vc's and the gaskets as well.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:52 PM

Thanks thats really helpful. might do it after all
Old 05-17-2011, 04:17 AM

before I got my 2002 maxima..... My first car was a 88 HONDA ACCORD (I know some people in here hate Honda but that car NEVER gave me ANY problems)...bought it with 149k miles (broke college kid special)...put synthetic in it...traded it in at 254k miles STILL running.....then I had bought a 97 maxima at the time it had 109k miles on it....IMMEDIATELY changed to synthetic oil and a high mileage oil filter and ONLY changed oil and filter every 6k miles.......I had that car for years! Traded it in and it had 249k miles on it....STILL running PERFECTLY fine. So when I bought my 02 max at 92k miles (currently at 98k) I put synthetic in it......but as everyone knows here...the VQ35 loves to eat/burn/ or whatever the hell it does with the oil....so you have to check the dipstick every so often to make sure you not running low...I still put synthetic in there. never had any problems with synthetic in ANY of my cars.

Quick Reply: Change to Synthetic Oil ?