5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Silly Question > Wheel Bearing, Humour me

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 07:25 PM

Silly Question > Wheel Bearing, Humour me

Ok before I even ask it, I know it's a stupid question... but I'm ballsy enough to ask anyways:
Is this completely toast?

This came on randomly, I checked the front end less than 400 miles ago, and had no warning signs. Today I just heard rubber squeaking on something so I jacked it up and couldn't believe the play.... the wheel was rocking back and forth like CRAZY ~ obviously the tire was rubbing as it flopped around and that was the noise I heard. No vibrations or anything!

The reason I ask the question, is I haven't had a loose wheel bearing before, ever. I tightened the Axel nut before taking the thing apart and eliminated ALL PLAY in the wheel bearing without much effort. The nut was loose.

Anyways, it's more for my knowledge and re-assurance, I've already pulled the hub and will be pressing out the bearing and *crossing fingers* installing new bearing if the Hub is ok.

TIA

-Matt
Old 05-16-2011, 07:35 PM

Mine had about the same amount of play and when I removed the hub itself there was a noticeable mark .
IMO i would consider buying a new hub . If it's ok at least your prepared ...I'm glad I did
Old 05-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Bad *** Newb

Same thing happened to me. Nut came loose and destroyed the hub and bearing (bearing was shredded and partially welded to the hub and snap rings welded by the time it was over lol).
It didn't make any noise or vibrations until it was just gone. It started as an axle joint sound, then straight grinding, but it was completely shot before any of that.

I also had to replace the knuckle b/c I had to drive on it to work for a few days. The hub ruined the knuckle pretty easy. Dealers don't carry this **** in stock. What a joke.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 05-17-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Toolie

Bearing is toast, the knuckle might be OK. I have 2 good hubs if you find you need one. I also have a RH knuckle if you need it. Let me know and I'll bring to the local meet tomorrow
Old 05-17-2011, 02:55 PM

The thing I can't understand is why our cars do not have a cage over the axle nut to prevent the nut from coming loose. Every other front wheel drive I have owned used one or a dimpled axle were you smack the nut down.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:13 PM

Cool little video. Would have been neat to see the wheel rocking back and forth while up on jacks, as a great example of what you shouldn't be able to do with your front end.

That Canadian accent really cracks me up.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:50 PM

Completely toast wheel bearing. I've been through many on my 2000 with 20" wheels. Tightening the axle nut regularly has eliminated my problems. But like ChilduvKorn my first to go out gave no warning and was a little toastier than that since it was not caught in time and was driven on. - When the wheel bearing goes out and starts losing pieces of itself the hub which is about 1" diameter starts beating,rolling,spinning around in the 1 3/4" hole where the wheel bearing used to be. That's enough play in that area of the CV axle for the ring mounted on the outer end before the splines to eat the ABS sensor that's mounted in the spindle. The ABS sensor in return will grind the ring off the CV axle causing all items there to be replaced. It even gets worse that that but I won't go on wasting your time. I'm glad you caught it in time!

I beleive torque for the axle nut is 170-172 ft lbs.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
Bearing is toast, the knuckle might be OK. I have 2 good hubs if you find you need one. I also have a RH knuckle if you need it. Let me know and I'll bring to the local meet tomorrow
Thanks Knight, I can't make it to the meet unfortunately, weekday meets are tough for me now that I'm back to work. Too far of a drive from Kitchener I wouldn't make it there until at least 8pm.

In any case, I got a new bearing in today, just need to re-install the knuckle/hub assembly, will have to push that off until tomorrow night. I'm going to apply for an Electrician job tomorrow, thinking of changing professions.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Cool little video. Would have been neat to see the wheel rocking back and forth while up on jacks, as a great example of what you shouldn't be able to do with your front end.

That Canadian accent really cracks me up.
Yeah it would have been good to see. And thanks, nice to know I have an accent, cool!

P.S. I have another vid to post soon. I installed the new wheel bearing and it seems to have similar play when 'unloaded' and installed. This play seems to be completely in the bearing itself, NOT the hub or knuckle. That tells me the nut probably came loose

Either way, I replaced it obviously, once I rode on it while loose I would call it no good. Thanks for all the helpful comments guys, I was surprised to see similar play from a new bearing, so we will see how the install goes...
Old 05-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Toolie

there should be zero play with the new bearing. 0, nada, zilch, should be very hard to turn by hand when brand new. In fact the tolerance on the bearing is only allowed .002" axial play.
When you installed the bearing to the knuckle did you press on the outer race? Or the inner race? When you Installed the hub after that did you support both the inner and outer race?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:50 PM

there should be zero play with the new bearing. 0, nada, zilch, should be very hard to turn by hand when brand new. In fact the tolerance on the bearing is only allowed .002" axial play.
When you installed the bearing to the knuckle did you press on the outer race? Or the inner race? When you Installed the hub after that did you support both the inner and outer race?
Hmmm. It did seem tight until install, maybe I messed it up, hope not!

When installing the bearing I pressed the outer race.

When installing the hub I did not support the inner race, the outer race is supported by the snap ring, and I honestly didn't think to support the inner race as well. The FSM procedure doesn not outline that you need to, maybe I missed something and should have supported that inner race during hub install?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:52 PM

Goneeeeee
Old 05-17-2011, 07:51 PM

Ah crap Knight, I think you're right, I think I needed to hold the inner race with something while pressing in the Hub, I just looked at the FSM pics again, guess I just didn't look close enough, I did it over my lunch and was rushed, ****.

Unfortunately, I need to reassemble it. I will keep close watch on it and will end up replacing it again (properly this time) in the very near future.

Thanks for clearing that up for me man, I would likely have had no idea that I messed it up, and may have suspected something else was the issue if things got hairy again.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Toolie

The inner race sticks out a little bit more than the outer race. So if you use a 3" round piece of metal and push down with the press you are pressing on the inner. You should use some sort of tube to press down on the outer race until it sits snug with the snap ring. Then support the inner race from the back side when you press in the hub.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:58 AM

The inner race sticks out a little bit more than the outer race. So if you use a 3" round piece of metal and push down with the press you are pressing on the inner. You should use some sort of tube to press down on the outer race until it sits snug with the snap ring. Then support the inner race from the back side when you press in the hub.
Thanks very much man! I didn't do that.... Oh well round two will come in a bit, I'm sure it will be ok for a little bit
Old 05-18-2011, 06:53 PM

Ok installed, torqued, everything seems fine, no play. Test drove for 30mins ~ hard, and rechecked.
Will keep a very close eye on it over the next little while, thanks again Ray.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Toolie

yup, no problem.