5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Coolant Issue (5th gen 2003 6 spd)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 10:12 AM

Coolant Issue (5th gen 2003 6 spd)

*Before you read this there was nothing wrong with my coolant system besides the fact that the coolant was a bit rusty looking.*

So here's the story ... A few months back I decided to do a coolant flush, change the radiator cap and thermostat. I got the coolant (concentrated shell zone) from castle auto parts along with the thermostat (beck arnley) and radiator cap from pepboys (stant). I used prestone flush and followed the directions. I then changed the thermostat, radiator cap and added coolant along with distilled water. Then the car started to over heat and coolant bubbled into the radiator.

So now I was like **** this ****. I went to the dealer and got an OEM radiator cap, OEM thermostat, 2 gallons of prestone 50/50, and another bottle of prestone flush. Along with the flush I bought 5 gallons of distilled water to use. So I drained the old coolant out, added a gallon of distilled water, drained, repeated. Then I put in the flush and added water. Let it run for the allotted time. I then drained it and kept adding distilled water and running the engine for a few minutes to circulate the water until it came out almost clear.

So after all the old **** was out, I changed the thermostat. Getting better at that now but it is still a bit annoying to change. So now I have a new thermostat, no coolant in the system, and a new radiator cap to put on. I filled the system, ran it for a few minutes then let it cool down. Added more coolant, and repeated. When it was totally cool I made sure all the coolant was topped off.

So now to the situation on hand ... Starting the car is perfectly fine, the engine warms up rather quickly. I can drive normally for a few minutes, then as soon as I have been driving around town for an extended period of time the temp gauge rises all the way up to H. If I get onto the highway it gets there faster obviously.

I am totally confused and frustrated as to what is going on. Either there is some serious air in the system (**** YOU NISSAN for NOT putting a bleeder valve on the engine), the water pump is going, or the dreaded head gasket. I do not think it is the head gasket at all though because the oil is just dark, not frothy or milky looking and the coolant does not have a single trace of oil in it.

The exact symptoms would be, engine overheats, stop car, get out, open hood and coolant is BUBBLING in the reservoir. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

-Charlie

P.S. I forgot to mention when I removed the after market thermostat (Beck Arnley piece of ****) and compared it to the OEM thermostat that I got from the nissan dealership the jiggle valve was in the wrong spot. So the new OEM thermostat has the jiggle valve in the proper spot, on top.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:40 AM

Try burping the coolant system to get air pockets out. When car is cold start the car with the radiator cap off. Let the car idle until operating temperature is reached. Rev and hold steady to 3000 rpms and hold for 10 seconds. You may get some overflow spillage at the radiator cap opening so you might want to put a rag around that area. Once done place cap back on. The air pockets should have been burped from the system. Drive the car around and see if it over heats.

Out of curiosity when you get into your car now do you hear the sound of water swishing around or flowing when you rev the engine a little in park or neutral? Usually this is a sign of air pockets.

Good Luck!
Old 05-28-2011, 12:14 PM

I just burped the system. I am letting the car cool down all the way. Coolant was everywhere. I did jack up the front end when I did it. So now I have to let it cool down, top it off, clean the engine bay and wash some of the front end of the car. I also have to wash some of the driveway. Will let you know how it goes.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:17 PM

Burped the system, cleaned everything up, topped it off and drove the car. Still is overheating. Starting to think it is the water pump.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:51 PM

Sounds like the water pump might be your problem especially if you just replaced the thermostat too. I usually only use OEM coolant. I've heard horror stories of people who have used non OEM coolants and have had their water pumps corroded and destroyed. See this thread.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-speeding.html
Old 05-28-2011, 08:08 PM

Are the radiator cooling fans running?
Old 05-28-2011, 10:31 PM

Have you checked for a cracked head or a blown head gasket?
Old 06-01-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by broknindarkagain
Have you checked for a cracked head or a blown head gasket?
No white smoke at all, no oil in coolant nor is the oil itself milky or sludgy when I change it. Trust me that was my thoughts, if it was one of those I would sell the car.