5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

01 SE Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

01 SE Engine Replacement

Ok guys. The last couple weeks or so I have been working on swapping out my old engine which threw a rod with a used new to me engine. I thought I was just about done with it saturday but now the troubleshooting begins. The car will start up first crank no problems. Problem is it seems to be in limp mode and I can't figure out why. Some times it will rev up to 3500 while other times it will not rev past 2000. Also it sometimes will idle at 700 and othertimes it will not idle lower than 1500. My first thought was MAF sensor so I ran down to the parts store and picked one up. I hooked it up and the car would not even idle, it would just start and then choke itself out. So I assume they sold me a bum part. Bout to head back out to return it for another one.

A little more information about the swap. My car is 5spd and I am using an engine from an auto. I used the auto harness with it assuming it would be no problem. Could using the automatic harness with a manual ecu be causing my issue? Everything is hooked up except for the gear selector sensor or whatever is called but from what I have read that really only would be needed to spliced in for reverse lights. Right? also the exhaust from the rear bank is dumping about a foot downstream. This could'nt be causing the problem could it? The only codes I am throwing is p1165 for swirl control which I have had for years and also p0100 which is MAF related. And I think I am only throwing the maf code because i tried starting the car without it hooked up.

Any help is greatly appreciated. This is gonna cause me to go bald prematurely. I cannot find the problem.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:18 PM

Update: Put the new MAF on... no dice. Give me some ideas.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:21 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by DenimDan
Update: Put the new MAF on... no dice. Give me some ideas.
MAF harness or connector chewed up? Missing pieces from MAF?

Sometimes I do stupid things and run without a MAF connected, and it runs fine up until 2.5k or so RPM.

Massive air leak?
Old 05-31-2011, 02:28 PM

What do you mean missing pieces? Right now there is no airbox attached. It was originally on when I had my original MAF on but have not put it back on with either of the new MAF sensors. That shouldn't cause a problem should it?
Old 05-31-2011, 03:26 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by DenimDan
What do you mean missing pieces? Right now there is no airbox attached. It was originally on when I had my original MAF on but have not put it back on with either of the new MAF sensors. That shouldn't cause a problem should it?
As long as the piping vac lines, etc, is still connected in between the TB and MAF housing, it should be fine.

This is an 00-01, so where is your IAT?
Old 05-31-2011, 04:30 PM

I have a stillen intake which never had a place to put it. Its just hanging next to the intake. Been that way for years.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:03 PM

bump. still havent figured it out
Old 06-01-2011, 02:47 PM
dot dot dot ...

So you've verified your MAF wiring and harness is intact.
Do you have the ability to clear the code and verify the reason it (the code) was there was because you started the car with it unplugged?

And just for clarification, you have a stillen intake instead of a stock airbox? And all the piping from the stillen to the MAF housing to the resonator box (Helmholtz) to the accordion to the TB is ok, no leaks, no unplugged hoses, all items plugged in etc?
Old 06-01-2011, 09:59 PM

Yes. Codes have been cleared and cannot get them to come back. As far as the intake goes, All of the lines are attached and I cannot hear a vacuum leak. I am trying to track down someone with a smoker or whatever the things are called that pump smoke into the manifold to look for leaks. I also need to test voltages i guess as well as take it for a ride and try to force it to throw a code. It is not throwing any at idle.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:47 PM

Ok. So after a little reading of the FSM I came across page ec-32 which talks about fuel cut control at no load. It says it will cut fuel any time the engine is above 1800 rpms and there is no load. When it reaches back down to 1500 rpms it will add fuel. Sounds exactly like this is my problem. It says it relies on the park/neutral switch among other things to accomplish this. Now here is my question. The park/neutral switch for manual trannys is in the gear selector sensor. Being as i am using an automatic engine with an auto matic harness I need to know which wires I need to splice from the auto harness into the plug on the trans side. Can't seem to find it in the FSM. Anyone know which wires they are?