5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

G35 Brembo's/BBK options, Please step in

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 06:07 PM

G35 Brembo's/BBK options, Please step in

Well gents, the time has come to start thinking about brake upgrading on my '01. I run the Enkei 19" G37s Rims in the summer. In the winter I'm hoping to run the stock 17" rims, with spacers if necessary.

This is the most relevant thread I've found that pertains to my research:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...es-maxima.html

I am a total ***** for Brembos, they look so good, and performance/reliability is right where I want it to be. I have a friend that can get me decent deals at the wreckers, but I have to wait, I'm in no rush, so I need to find out what I'm going to 'order' and get the ball rolling. I am specifically thinking of the G35 Brembos, which I think are the same as the 350Z's. I'm open to better ideas though!

I've also got one rear caliper running a little hot, so I want to be ready for this before I get stuck with a stock replacement. I do NOT want to do JUST the front caliper, that is silly IMO, and will cause a brake in-balance. I want to do a 4 wheel swap. Can I get some insight here gents? I've looked around and didn't find any real information on this specific set up, most guys just running the 6th gen front, Z32 calipers with adapters, or a Name brand BBK.

Also, should I be looking at getting a new Master cylinder or proportioning valves or anything? I was wondering if this was relevant enough to put in the Advance Suspension and Handling, perhaps, but my biggest question is fitment right now, so I think I've got the right crowd!

Here's the current brake set up (old pic):

Old 06-02-2011, 06:38 AM
dot dot dot ...

Rear brakes will be expensive due to our e-brake set-up and the typical Z/A34, etc set-up (inernal drum vs rotating mechanical ebrake). Matt93SE and Jeff92SE are the what I consider the local experts.

IIRC, 700-1400 depending on the set-up for the rear. This is because it requires the our rears to be converted. KCMAXX is also quite a guru, but he's got the A34 set-up, so he doesn't need to convert.

http://forums.maxima.org/group-deals...intro-buy.html
http://forums.maxima.org/oldthread.php?t=326162

http://forums.maxima.org/group-deals...ml#post8058009

There are EVO front Brembo's FS in the 5th gen Classifieds with custom brackets.
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...rembo-bbk.html

IMO, who gives a shyt about the fitment, make em work! I plan on at least making a 75% hearted effort to make my new Wilwoods work with my stock 17's for the winter. I think I've got a fighting chance with all of my spacers.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:48 AM

The front is not the issue but the rear.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:12 PM

Thanks Manny, good info there, Sent a couple PM's.

One option for me is to run without the e-brake, my car is Autotragic. If I go to resell I'll install the old calipers and hope the cables aren't seized too bad

Just a thought.... what you think?
Old 06-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
my new Wilwoods
Pics or GTFO.

Sorry, not trying to derail the thread. How much money do you have to blow on this brake setup?
Old 06-03-2011, 06:24 AM

unless you want the bling bling look stick with a34s
Old 06-03-2011, 09:49 AM
dot dot dot ...

A34's are horrifically heavy, rotor and caliper, + sliding single piston caliper .... not like I track my car though ...

IBcheckvastmax'spicsforpictArz
Old 06-03-2011, 10:55 AM

A34's are horrifically heavy, rotor and caliper, + sliding single piston caliper
This, and I do want to see that lovely caliper under the wheels, not just a blank OE caliper.

As for funding, I'm hoping to keep it under or around $1000. All depends on how much I need to do, if it's just brackets, calipers and rotors, it shouldn't be too hard to keep under $1000 IMO. If I need to do master cyl or any other upgrades, then I understand if the price is more.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:58 AM

why not this?>

http://www.fastbrakes.com/product_p/...ima%2012.6.htm
Old 06-03-2011, 12:58 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
Because I already have it

Probably because he's on Brembo's peepee.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:18 PM

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought most big brake kits (6th gen, 300z, etc.) only clear the 17" OEM rims on the 5.5 Gen SE, not the 17" OEM rims on the 5.0 gen SE. Tuner, you're going to want to get real sure about the BBK fitment with those 2001 OEM SE rims sitting in your basement.

Also, BREMBO... meh. It's got brand recognition going for it, that's for sure. I quickly chewed through a set of Brembo blanks once, in like 2 or 3 years. They were complete pooh.

Also, also... unless you're tracking the car, brakes are just brakes. As long as they're functional, your 10 year old 4-door will be happy. $1000 is a huge investment for a small return. (This is where I tack on IMO, and brace myself for the haters who already spent a fortune on high-end brake equipment.)

Last edited by Rochester; 06-03-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought most big brake kits (6th gen, 300z, etc.) only clear the 17" OEM rims on the 5.5 Gen SE, not the 17" OEM rims on the 5.0 gen SE.
)
i was under the same impression that only the 5.5 wheels fit, but someone with a 5th gen said they fit also.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
Is that just the front though? Can't find that info, I looked at that before. It seems like it's probably just the front. Also wonder why they have one kit for the 2000/2001 and a different one for 2002-2007, strange.

Because I already have it

Probably because he's on Brembo's peepee.
Hardly man, I want Brembo's for the reputation, and the recognition, I'm not against a better suggestion. My main reasoning was to try and get used stock Brembos from the wreckers for a great price, not to buy brand new components. I'd rather NOT spend much money on this endevor, but I do want to have functional, reliable and visually appealing brakes. Brembos seemed like a reliable used route to go, similar to getting used Tein SS coils.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought most big brake kits (6th gen, 300z, etc.) only clear the 17" OEM rims on the 5.5 Gen SE, not the 17" OEM rims on the 5.0 gen SE. Tuner, you're going to want to get real sure about the BBK fitment with those 2001 OEM SE rims sitting in your basement.
I have heard that the 6th gen/Altima SE-R front calipers don't clear the 5th gen 17". I've also heard that they do, and the whole "they don't fit" thing was from one guy that tried it and everyone else just believed it. So it's something I think I have to just do. That or start a thread to get clarification on this disputed topic.

In either case, if they fit the same size as the 6th gen kit, then a 5mm Spacer should solve any clearance issues I may have (if there are any).

The rear is the big ? Seems like no one has bothered to do the rear, or at least, I can't find any real info on it. I would imagine there would be tons of clearance though, because the stock rear caliper is smaller, so there is already extra clearance....no?

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 06-03-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
I have heard that the 6th gen/Altima SE-R front calipers don't clear the 5th gen 17". I've also heard that they do, and the whole "they don't fit" thing was from one guy that tried it and everyone else just believed it. So it's something I think I have to just do. That or start a thread to get clarification on this disputed topic.
I forgot I was talking to the only guy who ever force-fit a 5.5 front grille into a 5.0 bumper.

So with that in mind, I'm sure you'll do fine.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:35 PM
dot dot dot ...

Did you not read the second post and it's link regarding the rears?

IIRC, the 5.0 gen are +45 and the 5.5 gen are +40 ...

Also, just for clarification, the Z32 wont fit unless a spacer is used on either 5 or 5.5 gens.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Toolie

There are different brake kits for 5th gens and 5.5 gens because the rotors are different sizes. The pads are the same though.

I'd love to see if brembos fit on our cars as well, but to find a set for a test fit is not easy. (According to car-part.com there is one set in Canada) And they are pretty expensive. I know we can use the stock g35 rotors on our car, they are a smidge bigger, and they fit our stock calipers. Good to know if you are in a pinch and Maxima rotors are not in stock.
Another option is the Z32 brakes without the brackets. They bolt up to the stock position but the thicker rotors required needed to be turned down on the OD to fit. A local Toronto guy did it a while back. But it looks a little weird if you are using big rims that show off the brakes. (small rotors look silly with big rims)

Last edited by knight_yyz; 06-03-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
. But it looks a little weird if you are using big rims that show off the brakes. (small rotors look silly with big rims)

True, I'm in the same predicament. I need to get some new brakes. Just thought about drilled slotted replacement. But at same time thinking dam just get OE cuz fancy brakes small sized rotors would like silly under my 19" g35 rims. At same time not worth it price wise for upgraded brakes and brake force for my needs.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:30 PM

Did you not read the second post and it's link regarding the rears?

IIRC, the 5.0 gen are +45 and the 5.5 gen are +40 ...
I did, PM'd everyone, thanks for very good links as always man. I'm pursuing some avenues. Price for new is too much, going that route I"d be looking closer to $2000, not happening, I'm not racing.

There are different brake kits for 5th gens and 5.5 gens because the rotors are different sizes. The pads are the same though.

I'd love to see if brembos fit on our cars as well, but to find a set for a test fit is not easy. (According to car-part.com there is one set in Canada) And they are pretty expensive. I know we can use the stock g35 rotors on our car, they are a smidge bigger, and they fit our stock calipers. Good to know if you are in a pinch and Maxima rotors are not in stock.
Thanks man, I didn't know that about the rotors. I'm hoping to wait it out on the parts, I just need to find out what I need, and hopefully get everything bit by bit.

Also, just for clarification, the Z32 wont fit unless a spacer is used on either 5 or 5.5 gens.
Another option is the Z32 brakes without the brackets. They bolt up to the stock position but the thicker rotors required needed to be turned down on the OD to fit. A local Toronto guy did it a while back. But it looks a little weird if you are using big rims that show off the brakes. (small rotors look silly with big rims)
Conflicting? Nmex says we need spacers, I assume this is due to the calipers location (sits out farther toward the rim).

Knight says they bolt right up. I assume that because you're both well versed, Knight you're saying they bolt up and fit as long as you turn the rotor down, but that's not to say that the stock wheels will have clearance without a spacer?

In either case as I said, I'm willing to run 5-10mm of spacer if necessary. Do you know exactly how much is necessary on the Z32 set-up?

Also, that's some incredible stuff Knight, if I'm interpreting correctly, then you're saying I could, in theory, run big rotors with a caliper adapter in the summer (19" rims), then if necessary, run stock rotors with no caliper adapter in the winter (17" rims)

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 06-03-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Toolie

I have made no statements regarding FITMENT. IE, I have said nothing about your stock rims fitting over these calipers. I have no idea if they do or not. Those pics I posted are of 19's with a low 30's offset

Just the fact the you DO NOT need relocation brackets to install z32 calipers. Those pics in my previous post prove that.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:23 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Another option is the Z32 brakes without the brackets. They bolt up to the stock position but the thicker rotors required needed to be turned down on the OD to fit.
I never knew that. I've got aluminum z32 rotors sitting here collecting dust.

Just to clarify, is it the surface of the rotor that needs to be milled down such as when getting rotors resurfaced? I couldnt understand with the way you worded it.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Toolie

the diameter has to be smaller (OD)
Old 06-04-2011, 11:48 AM

Thanks for clearing all that up Ray, that's what I figured man. Thanks for all the spoon feeding so far, I'm very newb with this. I'm looking at the used Brembos Manny posted, seems like a decent deal, but the colour is all faded to hell, and they are used, with no information on age, etc. I also have no information on fitment with them.

It's still a large chunk of change to risk it. I am thinking I may be better off with Z32's....

And are there really NO OEM options for upgrading the rear calipers that will bolt up?
Old 06-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Toolie

our ebrake setup makes the option limited to non existant
Old 06-04-2011, 09:11 PM

Another newb question that I couldn't find the answer to:

Do the 6th gen rear calipers have the same e-brake set up as the 4th/5th gen or not?
If they do, are they larger? I would assume they have a different set up because I don't hear about people swapping all calipers.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Bad *** Newb

Also, also... unless you're tracking the car, brakes are just brakes. As long as they're functional, your 10 year old 4-door will be happy. $1000 is a huge investment for a small return. (This is where I tack on IMO, and brace myself for the haters who already spent a fortune on high-end brake equipment.)
LOL.

I find upgraded brakes are a great investment just for the ability to stop when needed. I drove a brand new altima (rental) and after stepping only moderately on the pedal the car slowed like ****. I don't remember how stock 5th grn brakes feel (****ty I suppose), but there's no way I could DD a car like that. If I had to stop in an emergency situation like when ford focus and prius owning clowns just mash the brakes for no reason on the interstate, I'd be in a wreck and lose more money to insurance.

And the fun factor is there. I like to wait to hit the brakes at stops to scare people on the other side LOL.
Pay attention to the goof ***** that are tailing you, though, thinking they can keep up. Some dummy almost rear ended me coming down an off ramp to a stop at speed. He was watching for my brake lights, but we were close to the stop. Fing noob drivers.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:37 AM

Clearly, other drivers aren't your problem.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:51 AM

Clearly, other drivers aren't your problem.

Agressive driving FTL.

Anyways, for me, it's a matter of safety as much as appearance, the stock brakes do not make me feel safe in an emergency situation. I know that I'd be hitting someone if I ever got tangled up with someone in front of me.
The stock brakes suck, plain and simple. I have my 13 month old in the car with me so safety is very important, that's the other reason I don't want to just beef up the front.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
The stock brakes suck, plain and simple. I have my 13 month old in the car with me so safety is very important, that's the other reason I don't want to just beef up the front.
After 9 years of ownership, I can say with certainty that the rear brake OEM specifications on the Maxima are not up to the task, because they wear out very, very fast. With only 67K miles on the car, I'm on my 3rd set of front rotors/pads, and my 4th set of rears. (Personally, after 1.5 years of running Centric rotors and Hawk HPS pads with OEM calipers... I'm still extremely satisfied with the braking performance.)

Slotted rotors look cool. Smooth, painted, 4-piston calipers look cool. And yes, they would stop your car a little better. But big deal. It's not a safety consideration. It's bling on a Maxima.

So let's be honest here... don't confuse your desire for attractive brake parts with some vague safety issue.

New parts work better than old, worn out parts. It's that simple.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-05-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Toolie

if you put 2 piston calipers on the front you will notice a huge difference in braking. I wouldn't worry about the rears
Old 06-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

bam...
Old 06-05-2011, 10:46 AM

if you put 2 piston calipers on the front you will notice a huge difference in braking. I wouldn't worry about the rears
Are you suggesting 2 piston floating or one on each side?

Well with a bit more knowledge creeping in, I'm going to take a shot here and ask a very Newbian outright question:

What would you guys recommend knowing my needs? I'm hearing just do the front with a Z32 or 6th gen set up and forget the rear for now?

Please chime in, I'm having a hard time justifying a $1000+ price tag on this mod. Maybe I'll do the front for now and do the rear later on...

Thanks for all the spoon feeding so far
Old 06-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Donating i30 Owner

Do the dual piston up front such as the q45/j30. witht he 12.6" rotors or 13" Use 12.6 for ease of replacement rotors. Get OEM pads in the rear, and OEM pads in the front.

Use that setup. The OEM pads provide that initial bite a lot of people like or equate to "better braking". that bite is good for aggressive local driving

If you want long lasting brakes for auto x ing etc. then get wilwood,ap,brembo. there are many options ranging from 12.6" - 13" rotors etc. These will provide prolonged abuse in a single session.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Toolie

You can save a few bucks on the z32 beams by buying the cast iron ones instead of the aluminum ones. Go to the local store that sells calipers and buy the steel ones, and bring back your a32's as cores. They won't know the difference
Old 06-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Toolie

You can save a few bucks on the z32 calipers by buying the cast iron ones instead of the aluminum ones. Go to the local store that sells calipers and buy the steel ones, and bring back your a32's as cores. They won't know the difference
Old 06-10-2011, 08:18 PM

You can save a few bucks on the z32 calipers by buying the cast iron ones instead of the aluminum ones. Go to the local store that sells calipers and buy the steel ones, and bring back your a32's as cores. They won't know the difference
Hmm that's not a bad idea I should call and see what they want for refurbed ones.

P.S. A33
Old 06-10-2011, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by HomerMAC
Do the dual piston up front such as the q45/j30. witht he 12.6" rotors or 13" Use 12.6 for ease of replacement rotors. Get OEM pads in the rear, and OEM pads in the front.

Use that setup. The OEM pads provide that initial bite a lot of people like or equate to "better braking". that bite is good for aggressive local driving

If you want long lasting brakes for auto x ing etc. then get wilwood,ap,brembo. there are many options ranging from 12.6" - 13" rotors etc. These will provide prolonged abuse in a single session.
haven't heard of many using J30 or q45, do they need adapter brackets to run on stock rotors?

Also, what is the 12.6... the 6th gen rotor?

Thanks for the info man!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Donating i30 Owner

this has been done before. by many people...

you can always mix and match parts.

for example. since your stuck on this whole Brembo thing. the sentra spec V front brembos bolt onto the front hub. I dont know if the stock a33b rotor will work. But i know the brembos from the spec v bolt onto the hub. You might have to enlarge one of the bolt holes at best(but im not sure)

or you can custom up a set. I use wilwood dynalite calipers with 2001 maxima rotors. Pads cost 40$ and rotors 50$ a set. I run it with OEM pads in the rear. I use bp10 street pads. This combo gives me 4piston up front, clears my 15" bbs mesh wheels, and the BP10 pads + oem rear pads give me that great initial bite. Also the pistons on teh calipers are much smaller than the 300zx which keep my pedals firm and not spongy.

I have been thinking about maybe slotted or drilled rotors.. but then again... the cheap part store blanks are cheap enough to burn through.

Last edited by HomerMAC; 06-10-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Toolie

According to my pdf catalogs, the front rotors on the sentra spec-v are 12.1" x 22mm thick

The Maxima uses 11.7 x 24

So you could probably keep the stock rotors and use the sentra brembos, but the pads will be off the edge a bit.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:49 AM

just do the 6th gen BBK w/ a slotted rotor (if you want a little bling factor) and somegood pads and call it a day
Old 06-11-2011, 01:23 PM

Matt, given the cost factor and all the fitment issues...

Have you considered just getting better tires? All factors being equal better tires will always net a shorter stopping distance.

Quick Reply: G35 Brembo's/BBK options, Please step in