5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Has anyone ever seen this? What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 07:47 AM

Has anyone ever seen this? What is it?

Took my IACV off last night to attempt to clean it. I posted recently about how the car will start and immediately shut off, and I have a code 0505. Youtube has several vids about cleaning this part, but our IACV's seem different than most that I saw online. I tried to clean it anyway. It didn't work by the way.

Anyway, the pics aren't the best as all I had was my phone, but what is this green gunk/buildup inside the chamber and on the end of the nose switch? I thought this bypass air came from outside air, but it obviously doesn't. So it looks like I still have to replace it, just didn't want to spend another $225.

I just learned that I can't post attachments. Bummer. Just trust me that it is a green goop.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by SE01Max
Took my IACV off last night to attempt to clean it. I posted recently about how the car will start and immediately shut off, and I have a code 0505. Youtube has several vids about cleaning this part, but our IACV's seem different than most that I saw online. I tried to clean it anyway. It didn't work by the way.

Anyway, the pics aren't the best as all I had was my phone, but what is this green gunk/buildup inside the chamber and on the end of the nose switch? I thought this bypass air came from outside air, but it obviously doesn't. So it looks like I still have to replace it, just didn't want to spend another $225.

I just learned that I can't post attachments. Bummer. Just trust me that it is a green goop.
replace it. Green goop is coolant leaking in the iacv, which fries it. It can also take out your ECU when/if it shorts. If you have electric motor mounts, unhook those as well (if you are an automatic, you have them. )
Old 06-11-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by mrpopo573
replace it. Green goop is coolant leaking in the iacv, which fries it. It can also take out your ECU when/if it shorts. If you have electric motor mounts, unhook those as well (if you are an automatic, you have them. )
Thanks! I guess I am going to have to replace it since the cleaning didn't work.

Why is there coolant in my IACV? I thought that had to do with idle air.

What is the deal with the motor mounts, and how do I unhook them?
Old 06-13-2011, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by SE01Max
Thanks! I guess I am going to have to replace it since the cleaning didn't work.

Why is there coolant in my IACV? I thought that had to do with idle air.

What is the deal with the motor mounts, and how do I unhook them?

it does have to do with idle air. But coolant passes through it to warm it up so it can work properly. you can always bypass it to avoid having to replace it. but you may have idle problems during cold morning startup.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by hondaeatingtsi
it does have to do with idle air. But coolant passes through it to warm it up so it can work properly. you can always bypass it to avoid having to replace it. but you may have idle problems during cold morning startup.

Oh, ok, got it. That would explain why I had so much trouble this winter. I didn't know how it worked, and so then thought I had a bigger problem in a coolant leak. I think this could be the answer to all the problems I have had for the last six months, so I am going to replace it. Just out of curiosity, how would you bypass it?

Know anything about why I should disconnect my electric motor mounts?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:45 PM

Good luck! You may want to check your ECU as well to make sure it's not fried before just replacing the IACV. I just went through this samething about 1 month ago. IACV had coolant leaking through it which shorted out the ECU. Total was about $1,900 at the stealership! Not fun!