5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just paid more for maintenance than I dod for the car!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:04 AM

Just paid more for maintenance than I dod for the car!!

Well guys...I bought a 2K2 Maxima GLE this week for $1500...had 180K on the clock and needed a little TLC, but in overall good shape, or so I thought. Yesterday I spent $3200 on the car...tires, rotors and brakes, internal engine cleaning, oil change, plugs and coil packs, VIAS solenoid, 2 o2 sensors, alignment, complete fuel system flush, power steeing flush...and I feel like Im forgetting a couple of things. While Im extremely excited that my Max is damn near new (LOL), never did I plan on spending this type of money...but all in al this is my 4th Maxima and Im very pleased with her performance now. Ive had 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and not 5.5 generation Maximas, and this 5.5 gen is by far the fastest and easiest on the eyes IMO. Thank you in advance for any assistance or suggestions you guys send my way in the coming years...Im gonna replace all 4 shocks and maybe a top end rebuild on my engine before I start modding her out...

...I dont feel ripped off since the car books for 5 times what I paid for it, just caught me off guard...but thanks again for any help you send my way in the future guys...
Old 06-15-2011, 07:49 AM

sounds like your mechanic took you for a ride
Old 06-15-2011, 08:05 AM

I think I would of just paid 5-6 grand for something that needed nothing and had lower miles, but as long as it runs good, enjoy it
Old 06-15-2011, 08:15 AM

Yeah should of just took it fo the mechanic see what he.recommended and then bought the stuff from a offline Nissanparts store and did all the stuff yourself and leave the hard stuff you can't dobto your mechanic.....Coils, Spark plugs, oil change and filter, brakes and rotors you could of done those all.....
Old 06-15-2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by matt06
sounds like your mechanic took you for a ride
Originally Posted by mrpopo573
I think I would of just paid 5-6 grand for something that needed nothing and had lower miles, but as long as it runs good, enjoy it
Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
Yeah should of just took it fo the mechanic see what he.recommended and then bought the stuff from a offline Nissanparts store and did all the stuff yourself and leave the hard stuff you can't dobto your mechanic.....Coils, Spark plugs, oil change and filter, brakes and rotors you could of done those all.....
agreed, ill be damn if i spend that much in maintenance...its not a bargain if you pay that much....at the end of the day you paid 4700 for that car...could have bought mine for a little bit more w/ a little more miles on it, maintenance done with a good amount of goodies
Old 06-15-2011, 09:18 AM

Where did you take the car to get worked on?
Old 06-15-2011, 09:20 AM
The original VQ...

I feel you pain, I just purchased a 01 and it turned out it needs new diff bearings . Had to buy a new vlsd. Except I didnt get a good price on the car when I purchased it. So don't feel so bad about your spending sounds like you got a good deal on the car.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:04 AM

Well I mean when youre buying a used car from a private seller you can only look at so much yourself...I knew it needed brakes, rotors and oil change from my initial lookover...but I was thinking damn for $1500 Ill end up on top no matter what. Im very happy with the car, cost me about $6K with the work done, and I got alot of maintenence out of the way. Car is like new, Im pleased. Im seeing them on sale on used car lots for $7K and up, with no maintenence done. Im a Maxima enthusist, so Im gonna spend money on this ride anyway.

And I didnt get taken by anyone, I needed this car in top mechanical shape ASAP as Ill be needing it every morning to get to work, so I needed this work done immediately. I had it all done while I was at work.

If time allowed trust me Id have done alot of the work myself, but again I was at work and needed this car street ready and safe for my 11mo. old son ASAP. All together I paid $4700 for car and repairs/maintenence...thats what Id have paid for one on a lot somewhere anyway if not more...and the work was done at a Nissan dealership. I wanted Nissan to look at it first and do the initial repairs.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:15 AM

Welcome to the Org, OP.

Clearly this isn't the greeting you expected. But if you consider the community you're dipping into here, it kind of makes sense.

What doesn't add up are your numbers. Your first post claimed $1500 cost, plus $3200 in repairs, for a $4700 total outlay. And yet just now you said you spent "about $6K with the work done", but then repeated the $4700 number again.

I'm just saying, the math is goofy. Did you go and buy a $1300 stereo on the way home from the shop? Maybe West Virginia has a 28% sales tax... I suppose that's possible.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-15-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:57 AM

no I have to put it back in tomorrow to get the VIAS repaired...some solenoid on the engine giving me an error code. Also have 2 o2 sensors to replace still....my estimate for tomorrow is $1136.12...that added to the 4700 I have spent already comes to 5836.12 or so...so the numbers are correct.

As for the welcome, it was the welcome I wanted. You dont get to know much about your car by being a nice guy and being sensitive, these are the same guys that will be helping me if I run into problems, so their comments are very much welcomed. As I mentioned, all in all Im happy, my car is basically like new for what Id have gotten a used one off a lot for. this VIAS thing I heard I can mod my way out of, but Id like to keep it intact if possible.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:02 AM

The VIAS (I hope Im spelling that right) is giving my car a code I think it was P1800? They said it was a solenoid thats stuck...the o2 sensor errors are coming from Bank 1 sensors 1 and 2..

But I live in WV and not many Nissan repair shops out this way. Ive got to find a mechanic that knows Nissan, most around here mainly deal with american made cars.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:05 AM

Also guys, when I start my car, theres like a ticking when I turn the key from under the hood. Once the car is started and running its nonexistant. Is this something anyone else has run into? It doesnt seem to affect performance at all, and only happens for the second when I start her up...
Old 06-15-2011, 11:16 AM

There's a block off plate that is sold here on the org that may rid you of any error codes or headaches read up on it, it's a great mod to get done to your 3.5.

Also man WELCOME and I hope you get all your questions answered here
Old 06-15-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by mista0406
There's a block off plate that is sold here on the org that may rid you of any error codes or headaches read up on it, it's a great mod to get done to your 3.5.
No, it won't do a thing for his codes. Don't confuse him.

The VIAS code is coming from the solenoid that manages the vacuum between the VIAS vacuum tank and the valve in the UIM. All the block-off plate does is eliminate the butterfly valve for better high-RPM horsepower, at a loss of low-end torque.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:32 PM

Don't feel bad I'm spending roughly about $3100 on my 69 cougar for a AOD transmission because I blew up the 3 speed.

I just picked my Maxima up today after getting a new radiator and having my alternator replaced for the third time in 26 days. Enjoy your car man, you never know what storms the weather gods will send your way.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
No, it won't do a thing for his codes. Don't confuse him.

The VIAS code is coming from the solenoid that manages the vacuum between the VIAS vacuum tank and the valve in the UIM. All the block-off plate does is eliminate the butterfly valve for better high-RPM horsepower, at a loss of low-end torque.

That's why I said MAY rid... But thanks for chiming in I didn't know that about the vias selonoid... Learn something new everyday.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:45 PM

thanks alot guys much appreciated!!
Old 06-15-2011, 02:49 PM

Hi. My name is T-One. Welcome to the org. Lots of people here get mad a lot and many help you regardless how dumb you are. Thats all. You should totally post some pics of your car so everyone can comment on them.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:17 PM

T.One thanks fam...Im gonna try to get some pics up tonight...Im not concerned with anyone being mad, sounds to me like theyre arguing amongst themselves Im just picking out the info I need from their arguments lol...Its not that Im dumb Im far from that, I saw a Max for $1500 cash in someones front yard with immaculate interior and a clean engine bay. No burnt oil in the tailpipe, and he started it right up. I figured that much right there was worth my $1500. I mean yes it needed ALOT of repairs, but if Im gonna dump money into any car like this, its gonna be a Maxima. At this point it feels like a brand new car, no BS...Even at this stage in the game I see it this way, I coulda bought one on a dealers lot for about $7000 and not known a thing about the car. Other option was to buy this one dirt cheap and put money into it, in the end knowing the car all the way through and knowing the work has been done. Ill get some pics up of her tonight, thanks for the welcome...
Old 06-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Bad *** Newb

Sticky this as what not to do when you buy a used maxima.

Nothing on that list was necessary except plugs, oil change and maybe alignment (O2s if they're primaries).

If he also flushed your tranny, you're probably gonna need a new one in 5-10k miles.

Never listen to mechanics unless you know them, please. And all of it is easily self serviceable.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 06-15-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:54 PM

First off I do know the mechanic that worked on my car, so know what youre talking about before you come on my post being disrespecful...second off this is work I wanted done, that I had the money for..."sticky this as what not to do"...sorry but some of us have the money to do this type of thing and will. I found a car dirt cheap and decided to put money into it and fix it up...when did that become such a bad thing? Youve never seen my car to know what it did or did not need. My tranny was not flushed. I had to flush power steering fluid was black and car took more effort to turn the wheel then designed. I had the engine internally cleaned because I wanted to know it wasnt full of sludge, etc. I had the fuel system cleaned and can feel a HUGE difference in performance. If you wanna come on the post and share some information or even ask as to why I did what I did thats fine, but dont come on being disrespectful.

Last edited by ConwayLaFamilia; 06-15-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:59 PM

Doesn't matter how much money you have. Power steering flush? Internal engine cleaning? 6 coilpacks? Fuel system flush? If you do have the money you say, you would not be buying $1500 cars and trying to make them new again. The stuff I listed is just throw-away money, not maintenance. You need to get a new mechanic.

And to the guy who said, "just spend 5 or 6000 bucks and get a car that needs nothing, I'll buy 5 if you can find them.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:08 PM

I replaced 2 coil packs, once again speaking when you know nothing about what youre talking about. If I didnt have the money the work wouldnt have been done. Dont question how much money I have to put into this car, youll make yourself sick comparing wallets with me bud. I like Maximas, period. Found a gen that I never had for cheap and fixed it up. Plain and simple. Our family car is a 2010 Ford Expedition, this is MY car to do with what I like on the side. Spend more time fixing your own Max and stop trying to down mine. I bet at this point mine is in better shape then yours. Come see me in 6 months, Ill show you what a 5.5 gen Maxima is supposed to look like. Asswipe.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:16 PM

Phatboi Slim I like that white Max in your pic, is that yours? Nice.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:17 PM

Stop talking trash to the guy hes stimulating the economy....

If theres one thing i've learned its useless getting mad over the internet. Who cares anyway its his money. BTW i need my power steering flushed that stuff is BLACK! Besides theres nothing like putting some clean filters and fluids and having the car run way better then before. I think some of these guys just cant imagine doing work to their cars and paying msrp, a lot of DIYers here im sure.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:20 PM

thanks Dave, and I can respect that theyre DIYers, I mean I like to get my hands dirty and do some work myself also. Thing is I bought the car used, with the intent of it being our second car, but the car Ill be driving full time, and I needed it to be driveable ASAP. My goal was to get the car as close to "new" as I could, then I could start mods, etc myself. I love Maximas. I coulda went out and got a 350Z, but who wants a car pymt, and Ive got room for my son in this car. I put it in the shop knowing there were things wrong, and got everything fixed the car needed. IDK maybe seeing all the work Im doing reminded them of the work they wanna do but cant. Guess jealousy really is a disease...

Last edited by ConwayLaFamilia; 06-15-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:29 PM

Well the good thing about not being a DIY as you said is they can get parts and do the work NOW. I cant speak for your guy but at my shop if we break something were covering it. If you break something your SOL especially if you break something the car needs to run. Besides if we didnt have people paying to have their cars fixed at shops, youd take about a millions jobs away. So its not all bad that not everyone can drain/fill/dispose of hydrolic fluid, or install new brake pads or put spark plugs in. You can do your own work? Awsome! You need to pay someone else, call you a good tech.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:29 PM

Yea Dave. The only reason the car was even in the shop was because I needed the work done that day so I could drive the car to work the next day. It was once it got to the shop that it was discovered more work needed done. My mechanic didnt call and say "OMG you need this and this and this..." He called me at work and had a small list of things that the car NEEDED, but I WANTED the car in like new condition. I gave him a list of things that I wanted done and they were done. I dont buy cars to drive them around all beat up polluting the air with smog. If I buy a car its gonna be in tip top shape, period. These guys can hate all they want Dave. The wind in my face as I pass them on the highway will dry my tears pal...lol

Last edited by ConwayLaFamilia; 06-15-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Banned

Old 06-15-2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by trooplewis

And to the guy who said, "just spend 5 or 6000 bucks and get a car that needs nothing, I'll buy 5 if you can find them.
I'll PM you my paypal, and we can start some transactions. Its much easier to find a Civic or a Corolla for 5 or 6 that needs nothing. Maxima's owned by responsible adults such as yourself probably fit that bill. Our dealership is renowned for excellence in inventory, and I spend a lot of pain staking hours ensuring what we stock is top notch.

That being said, anyone can find a problem with a used car, my max is 12 years old, they'll be something. However, I don't have customers coming back to me saying I love that car you sold me, I just dumped 4 grand in it the day after I got it home...
Old 06-15-2011, 09:59 PM

Man, i work for a shop and the "power steering flush" is what my manager loves to sell the most because of a "low cost of goods". It's easy to do, fast, and dirt cheap for the shop.

"fuel system flush"....$8 seafoam and $5 additive (that's retail price though, for the shop it should be around $1 or less since we get huge shipments)

"internal engine cleaning"...again something that it's so cheap for the shop, and a good excuse to suggest other services.

You are what we call a "buyer" and when one gets to the shop, some people start digging further and further trying to find more stuff to change and service.

Good luck with your maxima, but trust me, you need a new mechanic.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:16 AM
Gram Lights addict

Originally Posted by ConwayLaFamilia
Well guys...I bought a 2K2 Maxima GLE this week for $1500...had 180K on the clock and needed a little TLC, but in overall good shape, or so I thought. Yesterday I spent $3200 on the car...tires, rotors and brakes, internal engine cleaning, oil change, plugs and coil packs, VIAS solenoid, 2 o2 sensors, alignment, complete fuel system flush, power steeing flush...and I feel like Im forgetting a couple of things. While Im extremely excited that my Max is damn near new (LOL), never did I plan on spending this type of money...but all in al this is my 4th Maxima and Im very pleased with her performance now. Ive had 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and not 5.5 generation Maximas, and this 5.5 gen is by far the fastest and easiest on the eyes IMO. Thank you in advance for any assistance or suggestions you guys send my way in the coming years...Im gonna replace all 4 shocks and maybe a top end rebuild on my engine before I start modding her out...

...I dont feel ripped off since the car books for 5 times what I paid for it, just caught me off guard...but thanks again for any help you send my way in the future guys...

holly fawkin $hit... you actually PAID to get all that done?? wow what a rip off. you could have done ALL that for easily under $1000 with a tool box and hardly any effort.... lets see here:

tires, rotors and brakes, internal engine cleaning, oil change, plugs and coil packs, VIAS solenoid, 2 o2 sensors, alignment, complete fuel system flush, power steeing flush...
Tires: $600 installed
brakes/rotors: $250 for quality stuff with 2 hours of your time with basic tools
internatl engine cleaning: 2 cans of seafoam for $20, 1 in the gas tank, half in oil, half in brake booster. 20 minutes
oil change: $30 for synthetic +10 minutes of your time
plugs: ngk v power $2x6 + 30 min tops = $12
2 o2 sensor= $160 + 1 hour time tops
fuel system flush: 1 can of bg 44k $20, pour into gas tank: 30 seconds. although sea foam already did this.
power steering flush?: $5.00 for ATF, take off hose and refill : 10 minutes.

yup thats under $1000 and hardly 3 hours of your time. I cant believe people pay top dollar for basic maintainance. wow

why would anyone need all coilpacks repalced at once? some of the stuff done to the car was completly unnecessary. I would actually love to know for a fact that the mechanic did all this at once too and just didn rip you off further.

Last edited by QT1 5MT AE; 06-16-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:27 AM

I replaced 2 coil packs, once again speaking when you know nothing about what youre talking about. If I didnt have the money the work wouldnt have been done. Dont question how much money I have to put into this car, youll make yourself sick comparing wallets with me bud. I like Maximas, period. Found a gen that I never had for cheap and fixed it up. Plain and simple. Our family car is a 2010 Ford Expedition, this is MY car to do with what I like on the side. Spend more time fixing your own Max and stop trying to down mine. I bet at this point mine is in better shape then yours. Come see me in 6 months, Ill show you what a 5.5 gen Maxima is supposed to look like. Asswipe.
no offense but from your OP i thought you replaced all 6 of your coilpacks...thats easily $6-700 off the muscle, when those are only replace as the SES light indicates...so i was thinking the same thing didn say anything about it because basically rubbing in your face that you spent over $3k in 'repairs/maintenance' can be depressing and push some wrong/bad buttons. just know this...dont go back to that guy theres a decent amount of stuff that you can do on your car w/o having to go to the 'man' to get it done. do some research on here and only go when/if its an intense job or if its an emergency. otherwise you can find a how-to on these forums

Phatboi Slim I like that white Max in your pic, is that yours? Nice.
yea thats mine, i dont have the rims anymore, i'm on purple (much hated) G35s right now
Old 06-16-2011, 04:28 AM

Come see me in 6 months, Ill show you what a 5.5 gen Maxima is supposed to look like. Asswipe.
OP, I thought you were doing just fine... until that. Kind of juvenile, don't you think? Direct insults are a no-no here, but only because indirect insults are so much more fun. You'll figure it out.

Originally Posted by dr_rabias
Man, i work for a shop and the "power steering flush" is what my manager loves to sell the most because of a "low cost of goods". It's easy to do, fast, and dirt cheap for the shop.

"fuel system flush"....$8 seafoam and $5 additive (that's retail price though, for the shop it should be around $1 or less since we get huge shipments)

"internal engine cleaning"...again something that it's so cheap for the shop, and a good excuse to suggest other services.

You are what we call a "buyer" and when one gets to the shop, some people start digging further and further trying to find more stuff to change and service.

Good luck with your maxima, but trust me, you need a new mechanic.
All that is true. The OP's mechanic made a tidy little profit on this project. Of that there's no doubt. However, if both parties walk away content, then there are no regrets.

From my experiences, the best kind of mechanic is the one who talks you out of things, only fixes what's broken, and charges you less than he quoted half as often as he charges you more. A straight-up mechanic with two-way trust... that's a valuable thing. If you think you have that with your guy, then go with it and be happy.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by trooplewis
Doesn't matter how much money you have. Power steering flush? Internal engine cleaning? 6 coilpacks? Fuel system flush? If you do have the money you say, you would not be buying $1500 cars and trying to make them new again. The stuff I listed is just throw-away money, not maintenance. You need to get a new mechanic.

My car is for sale for 7 and it doesn't really need anything..literally half the mileage than the car the OP purchased.
OP you should have just bought my car...at the end of the day you still have 180k miles lul.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by QT1 5MT AE
plugs: ngk v power $2x6 + 30 min tops = $12

wow

Wow indeed.

30 minutes to change plugs in a 3.5?
Old 06-16-2011, 12:03 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by QT1 5MT AE
holly fawkin $hit... you actually PAID to get all that done?? wow what a rip off. you could have done ALL that for easily under $1000 with a tool box and hardly any effort.... lets see here:
Moral of the story. Plain and simple.

And don't tell me I'm an expert because I'm no expert. I've done all the above with a small 20$ set of metric sockets, not even deep sockets, the simplest tools and a jack.

Next time and before you do ANYTHING else to the car, maintenance or otherwise, do more research, it till get you better results at a much better price.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:10 PM

^true story...btw research doesnt mean post a thread and ask a question..it means use the search function
Old 06-16-2011, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Moral of the story. Plain and simple.

And don't tell me I'm an expert because I'm no expert. I've done all the above with a small 20$ set of metric sockets, not even deep sockets, the simplest tools and a jack.

Next time and before you do ANYTHING else to the car, maintenance or otherwise, do more research, it till get you better results at a much better price.
You don't know HOW MUCH I wish that a lot of people read your words.

The best way to know How your car works and what really broke in it it's getting your hands dirty and Do the stuff by yourself.

In the past 5 years I only took my car with the mechanic only one time for a bad CV Axle that I screwed up and when I bought tires for it. That's all.

Last edited by Flanker84; 06-16-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:29 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Flanker84
You don't know HOW MUCH I wich that a lot of people read your words.

The best way to know How your car works and what really broke in it it's getting your hands dirty and Do the stuff by yourself.

In the past 5 years I only took my car with the mechanic only one time for a bad CV Axle that I screwed up and when I bought tires for it. That's all.
I agree.

Last time I took my car to Nissan was for diagnosing bad CV's back in 2000, 600$ quote... .

Last week it took me over the series of about 6-8 hours of "messing" with my OTR's, end link bushings, and sub frame collars, for ONE side, yes, one side.. during the series of about 4-5 days.

Decided I needed 1 socket to complete the job, and did the other side in 45 minutes.

Socket: $4.99
Experience: Priceless

I used to be afraid of everything. ZOMG!!11 My car wont work and it's my daily!

Look at my VB fiasco. Another 4-8 hours, maybe more....Never attempted to mess with it out of fear of screwing up my car. I can do it now in about 30-45 mins.

Rear header, same thing.

Crossmember, even easier.

Brakes can be done with my eyes closed.

LCA, same.

SAFCII wiring ... dudes wanted 600$ for install, screw that.

I lay upside down with a solder gun on some cold **** winter nights.... I wired the frekin thing backwards the first time, wouldn't idle.. damn mirrored image. First time using a soldering gun... a little googling and really studying that diagram w/ an FSM =, I could do it now in 45 mins.

Now I say heck with it, I can do this, take a deep breath and find a toolset and go at it.

Quick Reply: Just paid more for maintenance than I dod for the car!!