5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rear Motor Mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 08:47 AM

Rear Motor Mount

Is it unusual for the rear mount to go bad or to possibly start squeaking? Car has 115k on it now.

I am curious because it is pretty common on my other car, and the damage to the transmission can be pretty bad because of a worn mount (aside from other issues).

Also, every time that I shift I notice a little squeak, and it seems that the car jerks a little more now than it used to when I am just driving along. I also have noticed a significant increase in wheel hop in the car.

Lastly..how much fun is it to replace the rear mount? I have not gotten under the car too look as to where it is (if we even have one).
Old 06-29-2011, 09:15 AM

Get the energy suspension mounts, remove the center beam, remove the bolts holding the mounts to the brackets, press the old mounts out, press new mount inserts in, and put everything back together.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by jkpgt96
Is it unusual for the rear mount to go bad or to possibly start squeaking? Car has 115k on it now.

I am curious because it is pretty common on my other car, and the damage to the transmission can be pretty bad because of a worn mount (aside from other issues).

Also, every time that I shift I notice a little squeak, and it seems that the car jerks a little more now than it used to when I am just driving along. I also have noticed a significant increase in wheel hop in the car.

Lastly..how much fun is it to replace the rear mount? I have not gotten under the car too look as to where it is (if we even have one).
Nope, very usual, rears are the first to go.

These are the signs of bad mounts.

Easy as pie, 7 things to unscrew in total.
-4x on the xmember
-2x for the mount (these can suck if you have a northern vehicle and have not done this recently)
-1x for the bolt holding the mount
Old 06-29-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
Get the energy suspension mounts, remove the center beam, remove the bolts holding the mounts to the brackets, press the old mounts out, press new mount inserts in, and put everything back together.
Gotcha. I suppose those are simple to find from an ES dealer. I will look into that.

Originally Posted by aackshun
Nope, very usual, rears are the first to go.

These are the signs of bad mounts.

Easy as pie, 7 things to unscrew in total.
-4x on the xmember
-2x for the mount (these can suck if you have a northern vehicle and have not done this recently)
-1x for the bolt holding the mount
Sweet! I am used to doing rear mounts on FWD v6 cars, so I wouldn't expect this to be any harder than it is on either of my Probes.

Thanks!

I had the suspicion that it was a rear mount but I wanted to make sure. I figured in essence all fwd cars are going to do similar things when the mounts are bad.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:39 AM

Is this what I am looking for? Sorry Like I said I have not gotten under the car to look so I dunno exactly what it looks like, lol.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=7.1114
Old 06-29-2011, 11:44 AM

Is this what I am looking for? Sorry Like I said I have not gotten under the car to look so I dunno exactly what it looks like, lol.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=7.1114
Yes, correct, but you need to have access to a press to press out the old metal frame from your mount, then have these pressed in either by that same press or via hand (chopping them in half helps A LOT).
Old 06-29-2011, 11:56 AM

I can get them pressed in . Thanks for tips and help! Out of curiosity does anyone make a sold poly rear mount that totally replaces the stock mount?
Old 06-29-2011, 12:37 PM

I can get them pressed in . Thanks for tips and help! Out of curiosity does anyone make a sold poly rear mount that totally replaces the stock mount?
Besides Energy Suspension? The part you're buyin replaces the bushing.

Unless you're talking about someone who makes the whole bracket 'dingy for you so you don't have to press anything in/out?

Maxima_Joe sometimes has gutted mounts FS out of his maximas.... I'd lurk around the 4th gen forums.

There's also Carnal c30 who if I recall correctly makes delrin motor mounts? Or just delrin bushings so far?? Either way I'm sure him and his associates would love to make some delrin engine mounts if they haven't already.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:07 PM

The pictures on the ES site are misleading, ES mounts for our cars are solid and completley replaces the stock mount. They are not those 'use with the stock mount' nonsense pictured on the ES website.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:35 PM

Ohhhhhhh...ok. I plan on doing the ES parts either way, I was just curious if anyone made a whole new solid mount like AWR does for my other car.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:45 PM

Why not replace the whole mount? Fleabay sells the set for about $100.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:01 PM

Because I don't want another rubber mount and I have driven cars with solid mounts for many years now, and I know these will be softer than on my other car, so the extra little vibration I get from them I won't mind. I want something stiffer on the off chance that I go back and try to make that 13s pass .