5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Gutting your pre cats

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by dnice02
Who all still makes y pipes for are cars? That sounds like a good idea to mate an aftermarket y pipe to gutted cats.
Cattman and Warpspeed.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:59 AM

Warp Speed I believe. http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/nissan.htm
Not sure if they are still selling them as the site looks outdated.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:10 PM

If I'm understanding the explanation from my mechanic accurately (or accurately enough)... feel free to correct me if this doesn't make sense. But he was curious about what the O2 Sim was doing, so he started measuring things. The front O2 sensors create a signal with two distinctly separate extents... like a pulse. And the rear O2 sensors create a signal with a more steady, uniform variance. As long as the signal from the rear sensors are within the range defined by the front O2 sensors, then the ECU is happily assuming the exhaust has passed through the catalyst.

This explains why we need the O2 sensors, even with headers or gutted pre-cats.

That, and there's also an exhaust temperature sensor piggybacked into the O2's, and that still needs to be satisfied. (Yes? No?)
Old 07-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Sexier Than Simpson

The temp sensor is the key. The O2 sim just puts out a voltage constant and the downstream needs to be less than the upstream. Theoretically you could just build one yourself for all the sensors which would send voltage in the correct ranges and the ECU would be satisfied. The temp sensor is important afaik
Old 07-28-2011, 02:18 PM

Car is back. Pre-cats are gutted. O2 Sim is installed and functioning. At idle and mid-range, the car is a little bit louder, not a lot. The tone got a little bit deeper, for sure. And at WOT, the car is a LOT louder. Go figure.

Off the line and throughout the mid-range, power feels normal. However, at WOT in the upper-range, there is definitely more grunt. Not enough to wet your pants, but it's noticeable and pretty cool.

However, the noise remains. This project was a swing and a miss.

I'm very frustrated right now.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Car is back. Pre-cats are gutted. O2 Sim is installed and functioning. At idle and mid-range, the car is a little bit louder, not a lot. The tone got a little bit deeper, for sure. And at WOT, the car is a LOT louder. Go figure.

Off the line and throughout the mid-range, power feels normal. However, at WOT in the upper-range, there is definitely more grunt. Not enough to wet your pants, but it's noticeable and pretty cool.

However, the noise remains. This project was a swing and a miss.

So your saying gutting was like installing a BOP in terms of a little bit more of top-end power, or would you say it gives much more?
Old 07-28-2011, 02:36 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

...the noise remains. This project was a swing and a miss.

Sorry, sir. I guess it's time to record the noise and subject it to the peanut gallery for conjecture.

Yeah. Besides the deeper tone, nothing feels different at lower rpms. It makes sense that it would only be at higher rpms, though. The flow rate is much higher and only then is the small restriction of the catalytic material a true impediment to efficiency.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Banned

Well that sucks about the rattle.guess i know replacing my precat is not going to get rid of the rattle but i do hope it cures the sluggishness.Im glad you were straight foward about the increase in noise level that is why im just going to replace and not gut the unit.with these two problems im having currently it has really got me running in circles now that it did not fix your rattle.what else is in that area that could make such a noise?Could something be loose inside the Y-pipe or can it be something to do with the front splash shields i just dont know.The mic i was using picked it up loud and clear i even remember the db level of the noise.at this point i may just start removing parts until the noise goes away.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Banned

How much did this cost? For all the labor involved it sounds expensive...
Old 07-28-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by nishfish871
So your saying gutting was like installing a BOP in terms of a little bit more of top-end power, or would you say it gives much more?
That's a good analogy, I suppose. But at WOT in the upper range, it feels more than what I recall the BOP felt like. Then again, a BOP reduces low end, thereby increasing the gap between low-end and high, giving you a bit of a false impression. Whereas the gains with the pre-cats are all upper-end, with no loss. So it's more real.

Either way, this is all first impression stuff. Like any mod, a fair assessment takes a few days and a few runs.

Originally Posted by Nismod00d
We'll figure that out tomorrow. I'm guessing 3 hours labor. He's usually overly fair to me, and on the flip-side I like to make sure he gets fair payment for his time.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:38 PM

Sorry to hear you did not resolve the issue. Hopefully you do find the rattle/noise/whistle thing. Good luck!
Old 07-28-2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by nishfish871

Test pipe/ cattman/ bop/Sri /gutted cats heat soaked run on mustang dyno with g35 wheels im sure it ads more than a bop.compare my dyno to the people that have cattman headers and similer mods.it's right around the same give or take.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by 036mtmax

Test pipe/ cattman/ bop/Sri /gutted cats heat soaked run on mustang dyno with g35 wheels im sure it ads more than a bop.compare my dyno to the people that have cattman headers and similer mods.it's right around the same give or take.
036mtmax, aren't exhaust efficiencies more relevant near the point of combustion, as opposed to down-the line? In other words: headers > catback, and so on. See, I already had a Cattman Y-pipe configured for the last 3 years. It's possible that gutting the pre-cats was more incremental for me than it was for you.

Of course, I'm pulling this reasoning out of my dookie. I'll admit that freely. People with better mechanical knowledge will surely chime in, as well as people who think they have engineering know-how, but have only recently learned to shave.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:41 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

036mtmax, aren't exhaust efficiencies more relevant near the point of combustion, as opposed to down-the line? In other words: headers > catback, and so on. See, I already had a Cattman Y-pipe configured for the last 3 years. It's possible that gutting the pre-cats was more incremental for me than it was for you.
036mtmax dynoed with gutted cats. He stated that, ceteris paribus, his gutted cats have similar gains to headers. I haven't seen enough comparison dyno's to substantiate this, but he did have some nice values. Although, I don't recall seeing a control run without the gutted cats either. I'm going to remain optimistic and assume he's fairly accurate in his assessment.

Of course, I'm pulling this reasoning out of my dookie. I'll admit that freely. People with better mechanical knowledge will surely chime in, as well as people who think they have engineering know-how, but have only recently learned to shave.
It's not our fault it took us thirty years to grow facial hair. Don't judge!
Old 07-28-2011, 04:43 PM

good ish mang... i hate seeing **** dyno's... n you think by now ppl would stop... i kinda figure they gave a decent gains... those gains are similar to headers mang... welp rochester... cant say i havent tried staring you towards the OBX but i hope u get everything the way you want
Old 07-28-2011, 04:44 PM

When i found out you had a y i was thinking the same thing but the only way to really tell is for me to get a y and re-dyno the car and see the difference i guess..But mine may be a bit louder because where i have the stock y i do have a test pipe where you have a cat so idk ?? Sorry to hear that that didn't take the rattle out...
Old 07-28-2011, 05:03 PM

I took the car out ramping just now, back and forth on the highway in various gears, speeds, and revs. My second impression reinforces the first, which is that the car is slightly louder, however the tone is certainly deeper. For me, a deeper tone to the exhaust is pleasant, and one of the reasons I love my uneven-length y-pipe.

As for added power... it's all in the upper range, and while noticeable, it's not that big of a change (for me). Still, a power-mod is a power-mod, and it goes in my sig. "Gutted pre-cats"

Now to get back to my mystery rattle, and to do so in another thread, because then I'm off-topic.

Good thread, 036mtmax. Thank you. Hope you don't mind that I whored it so much.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:19 PM

I took the car out ramping just now, back and forth on the highway in various gears, speeds, and revs. My second impression reinforces the first, which is that the car is slightly louder, however the tone is certainly deeper. For me, a deeper tone to the exhaust is pleasant, and one of the reasons I love my uneven-length y-pipe.

As for added power... it's all in the upper range, and while noticeable, it's not that big of a change (for me). Still, a power-mod is a power-mod, and it goes in my sig. "Gutted pre-cats"

Now to get back to my mystery rattle, and to do so in another thread, because then I'm off-topic.

Good thread, 036mtmax. Thank you. Hope you don't mind that I whored it so much.

Thanks Rochester..glad you like it..hey btw where did you get your sims from ??
Old 07-28-2011, 06:01 PM

036MT: Dude, try the spacers first! $20 solution > $100 solution.

Rochester: At what RPM does your rattle occur and have you had your mechanic take off the heat shield and drive around to see if it's still present? Courtesy has two different heat shields, a "front driveshaft" heat shield and an "exhaust manifold cover", for $45 and $30, respectively.

Most people with heat shield rattle just take them off, but I figure that keeping as much as possible out from the rest of the engine bay is a good thing. And, knowing how you roll, you'd never just lop a part off and run without it.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
036mtmax dynoed with gutted cats. He stated that, ceteris paribus, his gutted cats have similar gains to headers. I haven't seen enough comparison dyno's to substantiate this, but he did have some nice values. Although, I don't recall seeing a control run without the gutted cats either. I'm going to remain optimistic and assume he's fairly accurate in his assessment.

It's not our fault it took us thirty years to grow facial hair. Don't judge!

I just wish i had dyno'd the car before i did the pre cats so i could have seen exactly how much it made.All i know is theres a couple guys with more mods...headers being one of them and im still putting down the same or more power..im not bragging im just being the test dummy i usually am as an example thats all.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:11 PM

Of course, I'm pulling this reasoning out of my dookie. I'll admit that freely. People with better mechanical knowledge will surely chime in, as well as people who think they have engineering know-how, but have only recently learned to shave.[/quote]

Oh, man. If that aint classic Rochester!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:12 PM

I just wish i had dyno'd the car before i did the pre cats so i could have seen exactly how much it made.All i know is theres a couple guys with more mods...headers being one of them and im still putting down the same or more power..im not bragging im just being the test dummy i usually am as an example thats all.
yup... hotshot has the best headers system made for our cars n hes only gettn 243 iirc... congrats
Old 07-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Toolie

If I'm understanding the explanation from my mechanic accurately (or accurately enough)... feel free to correct me if this doesn't make sense. But he was curious about what the O2 Sim was doing, so he started measuring things. The front O2 sensors create a signal with two distinctly separate extents... like a pulse. And the rear O2 sensors create a signal with a more steady, uniform variance. As long as the signal from the rear sensors are within the range defined by the front O2 sensors, then the ECU is happily assuming the exhaust has passed through the catalyst.

This explains why we need the O2 sensors, even with headers or gutted pre-cats.

That, and there's also an exhaust temperature sensor piggybacked into the O2's, and that still needs to be satisfied. (Yes? No?)

The 2 upstream 02's are the most important as they control fuel. The downstream are not as important but they do have a function.
When exhaust goes through the manifolds and pass the upstream o2's they take a "reading" and convert that reading onto a voltage. That voltage is compared to the voltage after the precats which also take a reading of the same exhaust gas but which has passed through the precat. If the precat is functioning correctly the voltages should be different. If the upstream and downstream voltages are in specification you will not throw codes. But if either the upstream voltages are out of spec or too close tothe downstream voltages, then you will throw a code or two.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:42 PM

[quote=Eirik;8139573]036MT: Dude, try the spacers first! $20 solution > $100 solution.

036MT: Dude, try the spacers first! $20 solution > $100 solution.

are you talking about you lost me there Try spacers for what i just put spacers in on sunday and what solution are you talking about...im not having a problem with my car right now
Old 07-28-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
yup... hotshot has the best headers system made for our cars n hes only gettn 243 iirc... congrats

Im curious now ?? i almost want to snag a set of obx's and put em on and re-dyno..id **** if it made less
Old 07-28-2011, 07:33 PM

Thanks Rochester..glad you like it..hey btw where did you get your sims from ??
Bought it from our friendly neighborhood Moderator a few months ago (NmexMAX). He'd been hanging on to it for years, and mentioned it was for sale on the cheap. So I pounced... figuring it might be useful.

I was in the right thread at the right time, is all.

It's got a little green LED embedded inside the plastic to let you know it's functioning. And now I've got this thing tucked under my engine cover, LOL.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-28-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:36 PM

Bought it from our friendly neighborhood Moderator a few months ago. He'd been hanging on to it for years, and mentioned it was for sale on the cheap. So I pounced... figuring it might be useful.

I was in the right thread at the right time, is all.

I wonder if he would be nice enough to sell me his track v1's doubt it though
Old 07-28-2011, 07:40 PM

Im curious now ?? i almost want to snag a set of obx's and put em on and re-dyno..id **** if it made less
it all depends mang... dyno corrections, weather, engine at the time... too much factor... iirc datdude20 dynoed 252-256whp with OBX headers
Old 07-28-2011, 07:57 PM

Can't wait to hear how you make out John. Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever know for sure what the presise cause was, but I am sticking to my suspicions about y-pipe restriction causing the whistle, I'm 80% sure the noise will be gone.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Eirik
Rochester: At what RPM does your rattle occur and have you had your mechanic take off the heat shield and drive around to see if it's still present?
Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Can't wait to hear how you make out John. Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever know for sure what the presise cause was, but I am sticking to my suspicions about y-pipe restriction causing the whistle, I'm 80% sure the noise will be gone.
Moving the mystery rattle discussion into its own thread. It's OT now for this pre-cat discussion.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ml#post8139730
Old 07-28-2011, 08:29 PM

Interesting I somehow missed the last page of this thread completely when I posted that. I'll tag along in your thread. Pity, I was quite sure I had it pegged in the exhaust due it the inability to locate a specific point (noise bouncing/echoing)

But this same effect could be apparent in the intake or other areas. Could be the main cat even. Over to the new thread I go....
Old 07-28-2011, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
it all depends mang... dyno corrections, weather, engine at the time... too much factor... iirc datdude20 dynoed 252-256whp with OBX headers

What's Datdude got for mods besides headers..do you know ?
Old 07-29-2011, 10:46 AM

Driving around today over familiar routes, playing with the car and getting a feel for the new normal. I'm thinking to myself that the new, deeper rumble is really quite nice. And the extra grunt after the tach climbs over 4K... that's pretty nice, too.

No regrets.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:31 PM

Good to hear Rochester. I'm just waiting for my Cattman y-pipe to come and I'm gonna gut the pre cats when I have it apart. Pretty pumped for as I have recently done nap spacers and bop and was very happy with the result of those. I will post the results
Old 07-29-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Nismod00d
4 hours at $60 per, plus gaskets and tax. (ouch) Good rate, though. No complaints about that.

If it had fixed the rattle, which was the reason I went down this road in the first place, then it would have been totally worth it. As it is... eh, not so much. I mean, I've got a pleasant tone to the exhaust and some upper-end gains, so at least something good came out of it.

Again, no regrets. Well, not serious ones, at least.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:08 AM

4 hours at $60 per, plus gaskets and tax. (ouch) Good rate, though. No complaints about that.
Yea not bad, even the cheap shops around here are above $80 an hour.

BTW do you ever keep track of your gas mileage? I'd like to see if the gutting of the useless-after-20-minutes precats will show any improvement in mileage.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Froggmann
BTW do you ever keep track of your gas mileage? I'd like to see if the gutting of the useless-after-20-minutes precats will show any improvement in mileage.
No, I don't track MPG. According to my on-board computer, I average 25 mpg.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say between 0.5 and 1.0 MPG increase. But just like Republican economic theory, I base that on nothing what-so-ever.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-01-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:16 PM

No, I don't track MPG. According to my on-board computer, I average 25 mpg.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say between 0.5 and 1.0 MPG increase. But just like Republican economic theory, I base that on nothing what-so-ever.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:24 PM

Didn't drive the car for the last 3 days, however today I took it out for some errands... and I'm liking the new tone and the new grunt more and more.

At first blush, unrealistic expectations were there in the corners of my mind, even though I knew better... and so, the reality was kind of ho-hum. But a few days later, there is a gradual and growing appreciation for the subtle changes attributed to gutting the pre-cats in my config, and I like it.

I like it a lot.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-01-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:12 PM

I like it a lot.

That's all that really matters.

Quick Reply: Gutting your pre cats