5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

p1130 someone offer advice...pic inside(not pretty)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 01:44 PM

p1130 someone offer advice...pic inside(not pretty)

got a p1130 code and it said DTC not detected or something of that fashion so I look under the hood to see if some came loose and to my suprise i find the above broken(or seems that way to me) its the hose closest to the airbox that is attached to the swirl contron valve. It has some type of metal fitting which is what has broken and the yellow and black crap you see is the mess the previous owner made. problem is that I dont even know what its suppose to look like. If you guys dont mind 1. I would appreciate some insight on what I can do to repair this and 2. snap a photo of this so i can even have an idea of what it properly looks like. The specs online for the part does not give a clear picture to tell if I need the entire valve or can i buy any of this fitting separately. the entire thing is roughly 239 bucks. Im trying to avoid putting out that much cash for one broken piece if possible...I was thinking junkyard but then again you get what you pay for. But of course before I make it major decisions I need some advise. Surprisingly i havent noticed and driveability issues thank god because this is my daily driver and I have no backup.

If the image did not show up I have it in the images on my org profile.

thanks for all your input in advance
Old 07-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by BigLou55

got a p1130 code and it said DTC not detected or something of that fashion so I look under the hood to see if some came loose and to my suprise i find the above broken(or seems that way to me) its the hose closest to the airbox that is attached to the swirl contron valve. It has some type of metal fitting which is what has broken and the yellow and black crap you see is the mess the previous owner made. problem is that I dont even know what its suppose to look like. If you guys dont mind 1. I would appreciate some insight on what I can do to repair this and 2. snap a photo of this so i can even have an idea of what it properly looks like. The specs online for the part does not give a clear picture to tell if I need the entire valve or can i buy any of this fitting separately. the entire thing is roughly 239 bucks. Im trying to avoid putting out that much cash for one broken piece if possible...I was thinking junkyard but then again you get what you pay for. But of course before I make it major decisions I need some advise. Surprisingly i havent noticed and driveability issues thank god because this is my daily driver and I have no backup.

If the image did not show up I have it in the images on my org profile.

thanks for all your input in advance
Biglou,

I haven't been able to locate any Nissan parts sites that sell the aforementioned fitting independently of the entire valve. I had to bite the bullet on my old '00 Maxima and just sprung for the Swirl Control Valve Control Solenoid Valve. Shop around and you can score one cheaper than $239. If I recall correctly, nissanpartszone.com sells cheap OEM parts and will probably sell the valve assembly for much cheaper than 239 bucks
Old 07-28-2011, 05:04 PM

thanks for your help ill check out that site
Old 08-30-2011, 06:15 PM

I am bumping this thread because by accident of just reading on the forum I have found out that this vacuum hose located at the end of the assembly bundled with the VIAS control on the driver side of the intake manifold. I was also told by a service advisor that they wouldnt sell me just the swirl control solenoid valve that is connected to the intake, they would have to sell me the ENTIRE INTAKE for 500+ bucks. I dont believe that is accurate simply because why would you have this assembly attaches with screws and be removable but you only sell it as one entire piece...just nonsense. What im looking to do now is just hit up a salvage yard nearby and grab the entire intake and swirl control solenoid valve off one there. My question is does it matter whether I pull the intake off a manual if I have in auto or is that not an issue OR is it an issue of FED or CALI spec cause I have CALI spec 2000 SE
Old 08-31-2011, 10:17 AM

I am bumping this thread because by accident of just reading on the forum I have found out that this vacuum hose located at the end of the assembly bundled with the VIAS control on the driver side of the intake manifold. I was also told by a service advisor that they wouldnt sell me just the swirl control solenoid valve that is connected to the intake, they would have to sell me the ENTIRE INTAKE for 500+ bucks. I dont believe that is accurate simply because why would you have this assembly attaches with screws and be removable but you only sell it as one entire piece...just nonsense. What im looking to do now is just hit up a salvage yard nearby and grab the entire intake and swirl control solenoid valve off one there. My question is does it matter whether I pull the intake off a manual if I have in auto or is that not an issue OR is it an issue of FED or CALI spec cause I have CALI spec 2000 SE
On a 2000, the swirl valve is only on cali models. And cali/fed upper intake manifolds are different. The type of transmission doesn't matter.

Then you have the fact that Nissan changed the upper manifold during the model year for both cali and fed. This created early production 2000 and later production 2000 which again used different upper manifolds on both cali/fed models.

Early production was 04/1999 to 07/1999. Later production is defined as 07/1999 to 06/2000. Since 07/1999 is on both sets of dates, I don't know exactly what to think. If I had to guess, and this is pure guess, I think late production should be 08/1999 to 06/2000.

Then later on (somewhere after 2001) Nissan created a "universal" upper manifold that fit both early production and later production. Still different manifolds for cali and fed. The so-called "universal" upper manifold for the cali version became the only manifold used on the 2001 model.

Why the dealer wants to sell you a new manifold, I don't know. Maybe the dealer wants to make extra money and maybe the new swirl valves won't fit on the old manifolds. I don't know.

If you are going to go to a junk yard, you will need to identify the car. The date of a car's manufacture is on a sticker attached to the driver's side door pillar. Under the hood is another plate that will tell you if the car was built to cali or fed specs. It is an aluminum plate attached to the firewall between the center of the car and the power brake booster. The VIN number is on that plate but right below the VIN number is a line of characters labelled ID #. The 12th character is a letter identifying the emissions. V is cali spec, U is fed spec and N is Canadian spec.

I wish you luck.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:24 PM

Dont forget about DaveB. He is at a nissan dealer in TX and hooks up org members (if it comes down to it) just search for him and you can find his info.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:23 PM

dennismik and maxima21 thanks a lot guys for your input this will def be a great help I had no idea about the intake differences on early and late productions, and daveb is def someone that i will give a call should I not be able to find what I need locally for a good price
Old 02-07-2012, 04:07 PM

I totally forgot to update this thread with my results...

UPDATE: I found a 00 max with cali emissions in the the boneyard and the upper intake was still on so I took of the VIAS cleaned it up did the JB Weld fix got better bolts to prevent from using those soft screws and swapped it out. I did this over thanksgiving break and all has been good since. I really killed two birds here because my VIAS cup was loose on mine so that works now too. THE END
Old 07-25-2012, 06:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Early production was 04/1999 to 07/1999. Later production is defined as 07/1999 to 06/2000. Since 07/1999 is on both sets of dates, I don't know exactly what to think. If I had to guess, and this is pure guess, I think late production should be 08/1999 to 06/2000...
So is this the difference between a 2000 and a 2000.5 Maxima?!

I totally forgot to update this thread with my results...

UPDATE: I found a 00 max with cali emissions in the the boneyard and the upper intake was still on so I took of the VIAS cleaned it up did the JB Weld fix got better bolts to prevent from using those soft screws and swapped it out. I did this over thanksgiving break and all has been good since. I really killed two birds here because my VIAS cup was loose on mine so that works now too. THE END
Sorry to bring the back, but I am having the exact same problem on my 2000 Max, build date 03/00 and 12th character of ID# is V (Cali spec).

Just to clarify all you did was clean up the VIAS w/the JB Weld fix and it solved your P1130 code? If so, sign me up!
Old 07-25-2012, 07:10 AM

Sorry to bring the back, but I am having the exact same problem on my 2000 Max, build date 03/00 and 12th character of ID# is V (Cali spec).

Just to clarify all you did was clean up the VIAS w/the JB Weld fix and it solved your P1130 code? If so, sign me up![/QUOTE]

Not quite. If you look in my album you will see the picture I posted in this thread(I think its a dead link in this thread), I had a broken fitting on my vias assembly(bolts up on driver side of upper intake). I got another vias assembly from the junkyard and jb welded that one, put it on my car and all is well now. Your P1130 code can be a loose/disconnected/damaged hose causing a vacuum leak. It could be the vias solenoid(brown plug of vias setup) or the check switch which is a black round piece bolted to a bracket on the strut tower. It has a light blue connector so you cant really miss it. good luck
Old 07-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

BigLou55,

Thank you for the input, at least now I have an idea of what needs to be done. I appreciate the help.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:40 AM

If you are still looking for a solution. Here is what happened with my 2001 SE. Would not pass emissions in Arizona, reset code thinking what are the chances of it coming back; being this car is very susceptible to on\off of the CEL. Well, after many resets and some basic troubleshooting, vacuum hoses and a few switches. I took it to my mechanic, rest assured this shop is good, they tell it like it is but they are not cheap.

Lower intake manifold collector was bad, the swirl control solenoid is attached to this manifold. I guess the boneyard would have been a good place to start. I just get tired of dealing with car BS, although I am pretty good with the wrenches.

I paid $942.00 dollars, hopefully problem solved. The guy said his parts warehouse cant keep that part in stock, just one of those common Maxima issues that most of us will battle eventually.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

If I'm reading that right you're saying the lower intake manifoldhad a crack/leak causing the code? I hope I don't have that problem.

It's been too cold here to fix so I've been ignoring it for now. Once the temps get back up to above freezing I'll think about diving back in.

Thank you for your input though, it always helps to know where to look.