5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Mystery Rattle - not the precats

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Eirik
Does yours rattle on the way up and down, Rochester/00MaxMayne? Mine, so far as I can hear, only happens on the way up.
Yep, mine only rattles on the way up. I tried to get a video of the sound but failed to get one of good quality. But its definitely something that I want to clear up soon.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:16 PM

Power steering leak? If the pump is dry, the motor rattles, but only at low RPMs.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by RobertColianni
Power steering leak? If the pump is dry, the motor rattles, but only at low RPMs.
Good idea, but then my PS fluid would be low. It's fine.

And this isn't a recent problem... I started hearing it almost 2 years ago. Over time, it gradually became more prominent, and only recently I've decided I couldn't take it anymore.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:59 AM

Well I have that same @#$%@# rattle as well, right around 1800rpm only on acceleration and moreso when the car is warm/hot. Its usually under light acceleration, if I hold the pedal steady I can keep the sound going, if I give it more gas or let off it stops.

I was told by the NISSAN Stealership it is a cat, but you said you addressed ALL the cats and yet you have the noise WTF

I'm convinced its a timing chain rattle, bad guides or something, the rep at the dealership said, "oh that never happens, one in a million" , he did also mention something about cats going bad and **** being sucked back into the engine. idk.

ill shut up now

Last edited by 95GLEPEARL; 08-04-2011 at 03:02 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:27 AM

Can you hear the noise right before you turn the car off?
Old 08-04-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
Can you hear the noise right before you turn the car off?
Me? No. Only on the way up, and I can't hold the noise like what was just mentioned. Marbles-in-a-soupcan for maybe 1/2 to 1 second, between 700 and 1100 RPMS (approximately).

In September, I'm going to take the serpentine belt off and test for the noise while running off the battery. Since the noise is more prevalent with the AC engaged, I'm suspecting loose parts inside the AC compressor. The AC compressor clutch, maybe.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:28 AM

That could be a possibility or also it can be the chain tensioner as well. My noise became less heard when I switched to using 0-40w oil.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:13 PM

Ive had this ratlle for years also, seems to get louder the closer i get to needing an oil change. Once the oil has been changed it not as prominent but its comes back, the lower my oil gets the louder the rattle.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:20 PM

Check your oil, better yet do an oil change. That rattle may be the timing chain without enough oil. It happened on the wife's 05 Quest did the oil change with a thinner oil. It went away. Could have been a coincidence, but it seemed to work. Sound came back, did another oil change and the noise went away. A friend told me that the timing chain gets it lubrication from the oil.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:23 PM

John, I urge you to change the OP and get rid of the 'rattle', as soon as anyone hears rattle, they'll assume pretty much everything except what your problem is, thusly, not helping you very much.

This is especially true of those who just pan through a thread.
Just an idea to help the focus of the thread?

I wish you weren't so far away, I could find that noise for you, I'm fairly confident of that.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
John, I urge you to change the OP and get rid of the 'rattle', as soon as anyone hears rattle, they'll assume pretty much everything except what your problem is, thusly, not helping you very much.

This is especially true of those who just pan through a thread.
Just an idea to help the focus of the thread?

I wish you weren't so far away, I could find that noise for you, I'm fairly confident of that.
True. "Hey, I've got a rattle too!"

My favorite was a few posts ago... someone who gets a rattle just before an oil change, and then it magically goes away. Tuner, you're pretty good at write-ups. Maybe you could do one on how to open the hood and check oil levels? Take lots of pictures.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Banned

My car will rattle a noise for like a slit second (some time's) on start up, sometime i can hear it while driving when its quit out. but i never hear it when i have the car in park running reving it up.... ..
Old 08-04-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
True. "Hey, I've got a rattle too!"

My favorite was a few posts ago... someone who gets a rattle just before an oil change, and then it magically goes away. Tuner, you're pretty good at write-ups. Maybe you could do one on how to open the hood and check oil levels? Take lots of pictures.

I would better describe it as a gear whine, or bearing whine, does that sound more accurate to you, or am I remembering it quite wrong?

Pop that ACC belt off man, lets get that tested. You can run without it for a bit, if necesarry and you'll be having the mechanic do it anyways, hook up a battery charger with a high amperage rating to the battery while you run the car, that way it will continue running and will not throw codes due to insufficient voltage.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:25 AM

I would better describe it as a gear whine, or bearing whine, does that sound more accurate to you, or am I remembering it quite wrong?
That doesn't sound right to me. I'm leaning more towards something internal to the AC compressor.

Pop that ACC belt off man, lets get that tested. You can run without it for a bit, if necesarry and you'll be having the mechanic do it anyways, hook up a battery charger with a high amperage rating to the battery while you run the car, that way it will continue running and will not throw codes due to insufficient voltage.
Next month, Matt. My sense of urgency has calmed down now that the pre-cats are gutted, and I know there's no issue with substrate pieces getting sucked back into the valves, or clogging the main cat.

Plus, going after this again next month gives me something to do.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:52 AM

When my AC unit started going on my 2k I heard no noise. The AC just stopped working and the clutch in the compressor began smoking as it was in constant contact whether the AC was on or not. Replaced the belt with a smaller one and completely bypassed the AC for the remaining 2 years of the car. The location of the noise sounds like that's place to start so I agree with you there.

I'll lend you an extra set of ears when I come take a look. In the meantime cross your fingers it's not the AC. They weren't a cheap fix when I looked into it and doubt it has gotten much better.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:14 PM

That doesn't sound right to me. I'm leaning more towards something internal to the AC compressor.

Next month, Matt. My sense of urgency has calmed down now that the pre-cats are gutted, and I know there's no issue with substrate pieces getting sucked back into the valves, or clogging the main cat.

Plus, going after this again next month gives me something to do.
Hmm perhaps a bearing 'rattle', though I hate to use that word, but those that know the noise I'm talking about understand, it's a different type of rattle.

Hopefully the belt removal gives us some answers.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:07 PM

You can actually hear the noise at exactly the 28 second mark.

Now that I know I can make and post videos that capture the "rattle", I'm going to try again tomorrow for a better example. But for now, this is kind of neat at 720p.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:24 PM

Now that I know I can make and post videos that capture the "rattle", I'm going to try again tomorrow for a better example. But for now, this is kind of neat at 720p.

That is the SAME EXACT sound I have and have had for quite some time now (2+ years). It is your A/C unit that is making that sound. If you spray some belt lube up in there, it will actually go away for about a day, then slowly come back. I have not been able to determine if it's a pulley that can be replaced or if the whole unit is making the noise. My A/C works fine, so I would hate to shell out money to replace that.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:49 AM

At this point, I am 95% convinced it's my A/C. Just a few minutes ago, I was in the garage with the windows down and the engine warmed up so it can sit at 700 rpm (idle)... goosing the throttle with the A/C on and off.

With the A/C on, the noise is so-o-o obvious. With the A/C off, the noise is like an acquired taste, meaning you need to recognize it first, then you can't *not* hear it.

It took almost 2 years for me to see this relationship with the A/C, because, as I said earlier, I almost never use it.

This thread right here seems to be channeling my experience:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...r-ac-comp.html

I'm trying to research A/C bypass belt sizes... haven't found a solid answer yet. An A/C compressor repair or replacement could be a HUGE expense. I think I'd rather bybass it.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-06-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:43 AM

you guys ever thought that it is your knock sensor , the gas now SUCKS and this is called pistoning .Put a bottle of seafoam and see how it sounds then the pistons could be full of carbon build up.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by tothemax2003
you guys ever thought that it is your knock sensor , the gas now SUCKS and this is called pistoning .Put a bottle of seafoam and see how it sounds then the pistons could be full of carbon build up.
A/C! A/C! It is the A/C...
Old 08-06-2011, 07:34 PM

so you think it could be the ac lol lol
Old 08-06-2011, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by tothemax2003
so you think it could be the ac lol lol
Maybe....
Old 08-07-2011, 04:07 AM

At this point, I am 95% convinced it's my A/C. Just a few minutes ago, I was in the garage with the windows down and the engine warmed up so it can sit at 700 rpm (idle)... goosing the throttle with the A/C on and off.

With the A/C on, the noise is so-o-o obvious. With the A/C off, the noise is like an acquired taste, meaning you need to recognize it first, then you can't *not* hear it.

It took almost 2 years for me to see this relationship with the A/C, because, as I said earlier, I almost never use it.

This thread right here seems to be channeling my experience:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...r-ac-comp.html

I'm trying to research A/C bypass belt sizes... haven't found a solid answer yet. An A/C compressor repair or replacement could be a HUGE expense. I think I'd rather bybass it.
If you're sure it's AC related (and it sounds like you did some good troubleshooting). It might not be such a big deal from what you describe. You say the sound is there with AC off and gets worse when it's on. Which may rule out the compressor but leads to a suspicious clutch. Since the sound is still there to a lesser degree when the compressor isn't driven but gets worse when there's a load on the clutch. I'd also check for a bad/lose pulley (the idler is notorious for failing) which would also make more noise when under a load. Try putting an electrical load on the car with the AC off and check for the noise when the alternator is charging.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by BobPezz
I'd also check for a bad/lose pulley (the idler is notorious for failing) which would also make more noise when under a load. Try putting an electrical load on the car with the AC off and check for the noise when the alternator is charging.
That's good advice. I'll be giving the car back to the mechanic in September, at which point we'll figure out specifics and options now that I've identified the connection with the A/C.

• fix loose A/C pulley
  • replace the compressor
  • bypass the compressor
  • continue to live with it
Old 08-08-2011, 09:50 AM

1. I agree with TunerMax; rattle isn't the right word--your squeal description is much more apt.
2. That's not the rattle I have at all (sigh of relief from me!)
3. Your car sounds really, REALLY good.
4. Your interior is gorgeous and the Z dead pedal is verah nice.
Random #5. I'm not the least bit surprised you chose a gold wedding band over white gold/some other silver-looking metal.

Anywho, I was chatting with one of my friends recently about his current daily-driver/future weekend racer 1.8T Audi A4. His AC died because the clutch did exactly what merovi described. He thinks it's due to the previous owner being a typical American who left the AC controls on "Auto" so the compressor would kick on for a few seconds, then kick off, then kick on for a whole minute, then kick off, etc. It gives him the tiny shred of an excuse needed to remove the entire system. But, shoot, when you've already stripped all the insulation and removed the rear bench, who cares about AC?

To me, it's only logical that the more one uses a part (even if it does involve magic pertaining to electrical fields and stuff), the faster it wears out.

It's cool that you live in a climate that allows you to drive without AC on. Not having to buy a new compressor and clutch... Awesome!

One last random thought: If you do nothing and the clutch breaks the rest of the way and jams, won't you chance throwing the belt off or something because that pulley won't spin anymore? The same thing could happen with the idler pulley if it's the suspect, right? (My Taurus had to have it replaced at a whopping 85K miles, to the tune of $330. )
Old 08-08-2011, 10:35 AM

just find the smaller belt that will fit for it and change it its pretty simple
Old 08-08-2011, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the positive comments, Eirik. Um... it's a yellow-gold band with a platinum inlay. Odd the things people notice in videos and pics.

merovi (from the Org) is coming to look over the car this evening. I'm sure he'll have an opinion.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Banned

So i figuared out what was my rattle/chattering sound, I went and checked the oil and it was nere the low mark.... put some new oil and this

The sound is completely gone,
Old 08-08-2011, 06:16 PM

I'm reluctant to reply to that, but, R U Focking Serious?
Old 08-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by spock
Yes why ? i'm goin to run it in my car for a little while then get an oil change.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:06 PM

merovi (from the Org) is coming to look over the car this evening. I'm sure he'll have an opinion.
merovi say's this noise is a pulley with a bad bearing. And while it certainly could be the A/C, it could also be manifesting when the A/C is adding strain to the serpentine belt. Of all the pulleys on the main belt, which ones have bearings?

A/C, Tensioner, Alternator?
Old 08-08-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Eirik
Anywho, I was chatting with one of my friends recently about his current daily-driver/future weekend racer 1.8T Audi A4. His AC died because the clutch did exactly what merovi described. He thinks it's due to the previous owner being a typical American who left the AC controls on "Auto" so the compressor would kick on for a few seconds, then kick off, then kick on for a whole minute, then kick off, etc. It gives him the tiny shred of an excuse needed to remove the entire system.

\
FYI, that's how an Air Conditioning system works. Regardless of the setting on the climate control. If the A/C is on, then the compressor clutch will cycle as it's needed, its NOT supposed to run constantly, if it does, something is wrong with the system.
A/C clutches are not likely to burn up, unless they're NEVER used, this unit was designed for use, rather, abuse, so if you are someone who runs the HVAV without A/C (manual) or on "ECON" (auto CC) then you are more prone to a bad Compressor clutch because it will seize up over time from lack of use.

Because Rochester has manual climate control (yes, we made QUITE sure that he had manual climate control ), then I'd suspect this may be the issue, however, I feel it unlikely that it would make the noise all the time when the clutch is disengaged (A/C off).
I rather suspect you have a bad idler or something of the like, and when the A/C is on the belts load up a bit more, amplifying the noise.

If this is true, then the Alternator should do the same thing. One way to test this theory is to disconnect the alternator (terminals), and keep the A/C off, see if the noise still exists.

Originally Posted by spock
Old 08-08-2011, 07:23 PM

Because Rochester has manual climate control (yes, we made QUITE sure that he had manual climate control )
Hey!
Old 08-08-2011, 07:29 PM

That's O.K. It's like that girl next door pretty. Not too fancy, just all the right parts.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:34 PM

Just to try an easy elimination, why not spray some lube @ the idler pulley? If that makes no difference, try the compressor. Just a simple test. May or may not provide proof, but easy to try.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:26 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

...Of all the pulleys on the main belt, which ones have bearings?...
All of them. +1 on merovi's assessment. Correlation abounds. I would say to follow the previous suggestion to spray a little lube at the idler pulley while the AC is cranking. Though, you'll have to have another body to jump the throttle back and forth between the effected RPMs so you can listen near the front of the engine. May want to use an adult for that one.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:04 AM

Another old "shade tree mechanic" trick is to take a long screwdriver place it CAREFULLY on a stationary part of the compressor, alternator, and idler pulley bracket. CAREFULLY Place your ear on the handle and listen to each suspect for the noise with it running under a load.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:19 AM

Ya, I don't want to rule out the AC unit completely because you just never know but the sound in person doesn't sound like a clutch issue. I had my AC clutch go out and it never made a noise. It just started grabbing and smoking and THEN there was a grinding/rubbing noise but it wasn't until it was not working and shot.

This noise is more of a tinny rattle. It only happens for a split second when load is applied. To me, having worked in a garage, it reminded me of when a car came in with a lose pulley. It was the first thing that came to my mind when I heard it. Since the AC system is on the same belt as most of the other pulleys and the tensioner it makes sense that the extra load from the AC provokes it to be louder. At least we have a good starting point for his mechanic to really narrow it down.

for other unassociated reason...is it spring yet?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by nelledge
All of them. +1 on merovi's assessment. Correlation abounds. I would say to follow the previous suggestion to spray a little lube at the idler pulley while the AC is cranking. Though, you'll have to have another body to jump the throttle back and forth between the effected RPMs so you can listen near the front of the engine. May want to use an adult for that one.
Excellent. I feel like we're getting really close now.

Um... which spray lube would you recommend?

Originally Posted by merovi
At least we have a good starting point for his mechanic to really narrow it down.
Exactly. Thanks for your ear and your advice, Ryan.

Originally Posted by merovi
for other unassociated reason...is it spring yet?
The neat thing is, this small, unassuming decal in the rear window will never look out of place...

...as long as the owner is from Rochester.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-09-2011 at 06:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Mystery Rattle - not the precats