5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

SNOW AND ICE TIRES

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2000, 11:09 AM

Coming from Canada, with our nasty black ICE and snow piles, what's a good ICE & SNOW tire for the MAX 2000?

For sure with steel rims :-)

And I'm planning to get new summer slicks for the summer, any recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2000, 11:36 AM

blizzak

i got em on my stock 15"ers. they seem to work well enough. the outer 40% of the tread is some hydrophillic compound or something that sticks real well to ice. they are real mushy in warm weather though. (speaking of which it's snowing right now in salt lake. brighton opened today. solitude, snowbird, & alta open tomorrow - gotta hit the slopes )
Old 11-09-2000, 02:48 PM

Blizzaks, are real good...almost unbelievable how good. Had them on my last car for a few years in college, Oswego NY (just on the other side of lake Ontario from you) Never got stuck, even in feet of snow where jeeps where stranded in the median!
Old 11-10-2000, 05:19 AM

check these out

http://www.Nokiantires.com

I'm putting nokian Haakepelitta 1's on my Max..with STUDS. Of course the studs are illegal in Ontario. but I'd be willing to go to court on a fine to stick up for my MAXimum personal safety. These tires last way longer than Blizzaks and do way better in ice too
Old 11-10-2000, 05:46 AM

Re: check these out

Originally posted by LeoB
http://www.Nokiantires.com

I'm putting nokian Haakepelitta 1's on my Max..with STUDS. Of course the studs are illegal in Ontario. but I'd be willing to go to court on a fine to stick up for my MAXimum personal safety. These tires last way longer than Blizzaks and do way better in ice too
yeah, I don't even know if studs are allowed in Quebec...Also are studded tires have studs everywhere or just on the sides?

Is there a BIG difference with studded tires vs. std ice tires?
Old 11-10-2000, 08:04 AM

studs

studs ARE legal in Quebec. In fact, before I found a guy in Ontario to stud them for me, I was thinking of doing a run to Quebec to buy them there. You will find all kinds of research on the WEB about the added safety, stability and reduced stopping distances of studded tires versus regular snow/ ice tires. thats why about 80 percent of all winter tires sold in Europe are studded. It's not just about traction. All high end snows will give you better traction than all seasons. It's about stopping quicker, and directional stability where studs outshine non- studs.
Studs are secured throughout the tread surface

good luck