5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Repoed

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011 | 08:51 AM

So here is an example.....a Barber been cutting hair for years......treating people good. He run into financial trouble because economy bad...people just not getting as many hair cuts.....he get his car repoed. Does that make him a bad barber??
Old 08-22-2011 | 08:55 AM

This thread is getting good, carry on gentlemen!
Old 08-22-2011 | 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by foodmanry

I can say when I first got my max I was into modding it. Now, 10 plus years later with 220,000 miles on it I'm into de-modding it and keeping it running. Mods were the biggest waste of money...ugh. I wish I had that to do over again...
But then you wouldn't have learned anything. But as always, hindsight is 20/20
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
So here is an example.....a Barber been cutting hair for years......treating people good. He run into financial trouble because economy bad...people just not getting as many hair cuts.....he get his car repoed. Does that make him a bad barber??
Not at all, and good analogy.

I have and always will preach financial awareness and responsibility. Now with that said, there's an old saying I'm sure you've all heard: **** happens.

Happened to me in the latter half of '07, all of '08, and finally got out of it early '09. A side of me is glad it happened b/c I learned a lot from it, but it happened nonetheless.

There are folks at my job (Merck) who went from stable to financial ruin in the matter of 5months once Merck and SP merged and they cut so many jobs.
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:04 AM

I see where you're going with this, however barber's and hairstylists are still doing well. IMO it's one of the few recession resistant professions. When I worked a 2nd part time job at an auto parts store, we saw a sharp increase in the sales of parts, and it stayed that way. Our commercial sales to independent shops went through the roof. Less people buying new cars, more people holding on to their older cars and spending the money keeping it maintained. So therefore, my point is, as a mechanic, you would logically think that he would see an increase in his business and profits with people keeping and maintaining their older vehicles nowadays, therefore he shouldn't have had his car repo'd if he was actually making money with the increase of the general population keeping their older cars and not buying newer ones. Just my logical .02
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:07 AM

Well that's getting a little off topic, we have no way of knowing the quality of his work, and who really cares anyway.....I think Rochester was moreso making a comment as to this guy's character. I think it's pretty apparent the OP is not completely a victim of the economy based on his attitude about the situation, but the fact that he is a mechanic claiming he's honest should not come as a surprise to anyone. What mechanic doesn't say that? I don't think that should be a basis for judgment really.

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
This thread is getting good, carry on gentlemen!
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by MinervaMaxxxima
Well that's getting a little off topic, we have no way of knowing the quality of his work, and who really cares anyway.....I think Rochester was moreso making a comment as to this guy's character. I think it's pretty apparent the OP is not completely a victim of the economy based on his attitude about the situation, but the fact that he is a mechanic claiming he's honest should not come as a surprise to anyone. What mechanic doesn't say that? I don't think that should be a basis for judgment really.

Well I could have use another expletive to describe you guys, but I was trying to keep it professional, somewhat...
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Nexus67
Not at all, and good analogy.
What are you talking about? It's a horrible analogy. In fact, it's not an analogy at all, it's a misdirection. No one is saying the OP is a poor mechanic.

...but the fact that he is a mechanic claiming he's honest should not come as a surprise to anyone. What mechanic doesn't say that? I don't think that should be a basis for judgment really
You're generalizing that all car mechanics are crooks. If you start with a premise like that, you'll rarely be disappointed, and more likely to get ripped off because that's what you expect.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-22-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:13 AM

Well I could have use another expletive to describe you guys, but I was trying to keep it professional, somewhat...
I'm a chick, mane.....

Originally Posted by Rochester
What are you talking about? It's a horrible analogy. In fact, it's not an analogy at all, it's a misdirection. No one is saying the OP is a poor mechanic.
Agreed.
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:16 AM

but the fact that he is a mechanic claiming he's honest should not come as a surprise to anyone. What mechanic doesn't say that? I don't think that should be a basis for judgment really.
Don't everyone do the same thing? You see stuff on TV that claim to work...you order it and its garbage, Friends that we thought were friends turn out to be backstabbers, BARBERS then you end up with crooked hairlines, CAR DEALERS and you end up with LEMONS....the list goes on and on. Take your car to a CERTIFIED professional mechanic with insurance...STOP trying to cut corners being CHEAP and do things the right way. But to say someone is a HIPOCRITE just because they car got repoed AND not having sufficient information on their situation is kind of harsh and jumping to conclusions. It's like people who think all ASIANS good at math, ALL BLACKS ghetto, ALL WHITES cant dance...etc.....just dumb things we label people not having enough information.
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:18 AM

but you didn't just assume this man was a hipocrite because he got his car repoed and he said he was an honest mechanic on his website??
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:22 AM

Don't everyone do the same thing?
That's what I said.

You see stuff on TV that claim to work...you order it and its garbage, Friends that we thought were friends turn out to be backstabbers, BARBERS then you end up with crooked hairlines, CAR DEALERS and you end up with LEMONS....the list goes on and on. Take your car to a CERTIFIED professional mechanic with insurance...STOP trying to cut corners being CHEAP and do things the right way. But to say someone is a HIPOCRITE just because they car got repoed AND not having sufficient information on their situation is kind of harsh and jumping to conclusions. It's like people who think all ASIANS good at math, ALL BLACKS ghetto, ALL WHITES cant dance...etc.....just dumb things we label people not having enough information.
Again, nobody here cares about whether he's a good mechanic or not. He is a hypocrite in the sense that he defaulted on a loan that he agreed to be responsible for and then paints himself as some kind of saint with an abundance of personal integrity in his professional description. However, the point I was trying to make is that it comes as no surprise that every mechanic on the face of the earth says the same thing. I wouldn't factor what he says about his work as a mechanic into my judgment of his situation; his original post gives me plenty of room to question his responsibility due to his attitude about the situation.
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:22 AM

But to say someone is a HIPOCRITE just because they car got repoed AND not having sufficient information on their situation is kind of harsh and jumping to conclusions.
In this case the hypocrisy is blatant. There's more than enough information for that assessment.

If the OP started a thread looking for sympathy from a repo because he was down on his luck, then every single member who bothered to comment would have been supportive. But that's not what happened.

It's like people who think all ASIANS good at math, ALL BLACKS ghetto, ALL WHITES cant dance...etc.....just dumb things we label people not having enough information.
Or that all mechanics are crooks. They aren't. And I can't dance.

but you didn't just assume this man was a hipocrite because he got his car repoed and he said he was an honest mechanic on his website??
I can't help you with your reading comprehension. It is what it is.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-22-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:23 AM

Okay, fair enough. So let me be a bit clearer, I don't think his personal finances are related to his business statement/practices. In other words, I don't think whatever sympathies we offer have to do w/ his job's mission statement (I wouldn't be saying that if he were in the finance industry)

Which is perhaps why I jumped on the analogy of economically-challenged barber doesn't equal bad barber.

MinervMax pretty much gets it in a nutshell below:

Eh. If he's trying to make money, what do you expect him to say? If all handyman types had to air their financial hardships, I think he'd be in good company. Maybe he does good work and is an idiot with managing his money.
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:25 AM
I need a truck

Originally Posted by Blaque_Knight2002
So, my car has been sitting on the chopping block to be repoed and I was trying to catchup the payments; but different things kept happening. Finally a repo man visited me at my job to ask where the car is. At first I told him it was at this shop I used to work at in Clinton, MD. Then, I gave it some thought and caught him at his tow truck and told him to give me a day and I will tell him where it is; knowing the car was at my job the whole time. During the time it was at my job I had ripped the Manual trans and everything I had to move to get to it. Well the next day I came into work the car was gone, yet the parts and transmission still remained. So, I washed my hands of the situation and will be purchasing a Audi 01 (Exotic) and saving money for my next Max. Which will be be a 2002 Nissan Maxima; until then I have the photos of my ole max. We he rest in peace in the hands of another owner.
You're an idiot. Is that how you operate, or are you just a troll?

You're totally missing the point. He's saying that other mechanics are crooks, but it's OK to be a liar and a deadbeat for his personal finances.
And to steal. It's like the homeowners that default on their mortgage and get foreclosed, but destroy the house before they leave

DAM....you guys are hardcore. You never know what happened with the dude's situation. there might be more to the story than he is saying....
Did you know that when alcoholics describe their drinking habits, they usually cut their consumption in half? There's more to the story that he's not telling.

I think your analogy is off. This guy apparently knew he was defaulting and took parts off of his car.

The analogy should've been along the lines of. Barbers rent space and some equipment in a shop/salon. Barber was facing tough times and knew he couldn't make payments. So he steals the equipment that wasn't his and then goes to another shop/salon only to sell the stuff he stole.

You're a woman
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:26 AM

I'm a chick, mane.....
Ahh ok, that would explain the Piglet pic.
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:26 AM

Should have been on Repo Games....
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:28 AM

Lesson #1: never put yourself on blast on the Org.
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:29 AM
I need a truck

The guy is obviously a troll
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Conrad283
The guy is obviously a troll
I didn't think so at first, but I don't believe he responded once since the first post.
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Conrad283
And to steal. It's like the homeowners that default on their mortgage and get foreclosed, but destroy the house before they leave

I think your analogy is off. This guy apparently knew he was defaulting and took parts off of his car.

The analogy should've been along the lines of. Barbers rent space and some equipment in a shop/salon. Barber was facing tough times and knew he couldn't make payments. So he steals the equipment that wasn't his and then goes to another shop/salon only to sell the stuff he stole.
Radz is exactly right. For his car to be repossessed, that means he does not yet own the vehicle. It is does not belong to him, and that means he had no right to remove anything from the car that was there when he bought it. Do I judge him for that? Yes. I don't care what he says about his side work about a mechanic, the dude sounds shady or at least immoral.

He is a hypocrite in the sense that he defaulted on a loan that he agreed to be responsible for and then paints himself as some kind of saint with an abundance of personal integrity in his professional description.
I know plenty of people with alot of integrity....that have lost their homes, cars, etc because economy. Everything is all good when you got a job and making money and can buy things, take out loans, etc. I don't care how much integrity you got when you lose your job what you going to do?? you can't pay....no matter how conservative you live....your life will drastically change. To label someone as a hipocrite because they "didn't pay their bills." is harsh! If ANYONE on here lost their jobs and were not able to find employment in a long time...their lives would change drastically as well! Does that mean you a scumbag because you cant pay your bills? NO......yall can keep arguing this if you want....that is all I'm trying to say. AND dude hasn't even shown up in the post since......so who cares.
"I'm just sayin'..."

You're totally missing the point. He's saying that other mechanics are crooks, but it's OK to be a liar and a deadbeat for his personal finances.

That kind of cognitive dissonance is something only an idiot or a Conservative can be proud of.
You were on a roll until you threw objectivity out the window with that last statement. Conservative, liberal, moderate... each group has their own deadbeat idiots. I expect more out of you, Rochester. Don't undermine your intelligence with petty remarks.

Hmm. You weren't comfortable with Piglet? But all is right with the world when the member is a woman, eh? It seems there's more than one kind of judgement going on in this thread.

Personally, I hate Piglet because he stutters... not that stuttering makes him any less of value to the Hundred Acre Woods.
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by nelledge
Conservative, liberal, moderate... each group has their own deadbeat idiots.
Some more than others. Perhaps we should pray for rain.

You assume an equivalent distribution of idiots, a statistical balance that no longer exists.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-22-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Nexus67
I didn't think so at first, but I don't believe he responded once since the first post.
I'm sure he's sitting back listening to ICP, sippin' on a Faygo and just laughing his **** off at us all.
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:35 AM

OP may not have shown up in awhile, but this is still a pretty interesting topic to beat up on.

GHustle I'm Coming for you...With a Vengeance...part DEUS

or not.
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:36 AM

Some more than others. Perhaps we should pray for rain.
Gonna be getting plenty of that later in the week. Good thing Florida is a giant watershed and won't turn into an overflowing truck stop toilet bowl like New Orleans.
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:37 AM

LOL.....Greeny changes my av whenever he feels like it, the piglet thing is a nod to my 7 month old daughter....her nickname is piglet.

I know plenty of people with alot of integrity....that have lost their homes, cars, etc because economy. Everything is all good when you got a job and making money and can buy things, take out loans, etc. I don't care how much integrity you got when you lose your job what you going to do?? you can't pay....no matter how conservative you live....your life will drastically change. To label someone as a hipocrite because they "didn't pay their bills." is harsh! If ANYONE on here lost their jobs and were not able to find employment in a long time...their lives would change drastically as well! Does that mean you a scumbag because you cant pay your bills? NO......yall can keep arguing this if you want....that is all I'm trying to say. AND dude hasn't even shown up in the post since......so who cares.
Alright, so even if this dude lost his car ONLY BECAUSE OF THE ECONOMY, which I highly doubt, how am I supposed to feel sorry for him when he's lying to the repo man, stripping parts off the car, then comes on here bragging about "washing his hands of" this little inconvenience, and is bragging about his intentions to go out and buy an Audi when he couldn't afford the ten year old Maxima he had? I don't think anyone here is being particularly harsh. The facts were laid out by the OP and any reasonable adult would be appalled by his behavior. So, yeah, he kinda does sound like a bit of a scumbag. He needs to be rolling around in a $1500 Accord until he gets his shiit in order.
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:38 AM

Gonna be getting plenty of that later in the week. Good thing Florida is a giant watershed and won't turn into an overflowing truck stop toilet bowl like New Orleans.
It wasn't a commentary on prayer. nelledge is a pretty smart cookie... he knows exactly what I meant.

Whether he agrees or not is entirely up in the air. (no pun)
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:38 AM

I'm sure he's sitting back listening to ICP, sippin' on a Faygo and just laughing his **** off at us all.
That would make him a genius

Somehow...I just don't think that's the case
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:39 AM

Hmm. You weren't comfortable with Piglet? But all is right with the world when the member is a woman, eh? It seems there's more than one kind of judgement going on in this thread.

Personally, I hate Piglet because he stutters... not that stuttering makes him any less of value to the Hundred Acre Woods.

Quite possibly.
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:39 AM

LOL.....Greeny changes my av whenever he feels like it, the piglet thing is a nod to my 7 month old daughter....her nickname is piglet.

Alright, so even if this dude lost his car ONLY BECAUSE OF THE ECONOMY, which I highly doubt, how am I supposed to feel sorry for him when he's lying to the repo man, stripping parts off the car, then comes on here bragging about "washing his hands of" this little inconvenience, and is bragging about his intentions to go out and buy an Audi when he couldn't afford the ten year old Maxima he had? I don't think anyone here is being particularly harsh. The facts were laid out by the OP and any reasonable adult would be appalled by his behavior. So, yeah, he kinda does sound like a bit of a scumbag. He needs to be rolling around in a $1500 Accord until he gets his shiit in order.
Well said.
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:41 AM

He probably thought the Org was part of the 'stick it to the man' crowd or the 'get it where you can' crowd.

I don't have it in me to be sorry for him, but I don't have it in me to be sorry for the bank/dealership either. That's just me. Your last sentence is the hard truth.
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:41 AM

If I had a dollar for every time I sang the Winnie the Pooh song to my girls to get them to sleep...

There it is.
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:44 AM

So it's over? We're done? That's it?

Kay peace.

Last edited by Nexus67; 08-22-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Blaque_Knight2002
During the time it was at my job I had ripped the Manual trans and everything I had to move to get to it..
YES...that was foul.......
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:56 AM

If I had a dollar for every time I sang the Winnie the Pooh song to my girls to get them to sleep...
That's sweet. How old are your girls?
Old 08-22-2011 | 10:02 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Dang...this thread dong gone blowed up! Weeee!

Old 08-22-2011 | 10:06 AM

I'm done, too.

(And Minerva, the girls are 11 and 7, aging me faster each an every day.)

Quick Reply: Repoed