5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Hmm thinking about cutting the cats this week..

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 05:17 PM

Just a quick question to go with this thread. I know that one of the side effects of gutting the cats is a possible CEL. Will simming the O2 sensors keep this from happening? Or does this job deal with the primary O2 sensor that sends information about air/fuel ratios back to the ECU which can't be simmed?
Old 08-25-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Waxima
Just a quick question to go with this thread. I know that one of the side effects of gutting the cats is a possible CEL. Will simming the O2 sensors keep this from happening? Or does this job deal with the primary O2 sensor that sends information about air/fuel ratios back to the ECU which can't be simmed?
The CEL isn't a possibility, it's a certainty. Without the catalyst, the rear O2 sensors won't provide the appropriate signal. That's what the sim is for.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:58 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by 036mtmax
I just don't understand why you dropped the manifold with the pre-cat connected?? All you had to do is remove the heat shield and take the bolts off from the top and bottom of the pre cat
You may have missed when he stated he stripped a couple studs. It is magnitudes easier to address a frozen stud with the assy off the car. I actually did this as well because of a sheared stud(impatience). The front manifold comes off in no time. Try to drill out a stud on the small radius bend side of the cat while it's on the car? I think not.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:25 PM

Yea the bolt that "stripped" it actually just started to spin on itself, it actually did no damage to the threads on the manifold so i found another bolt with the same dimensions and put it in there...I finally got the rear heat shield off and i just got off the 2 (top side) nuts and broke loose 1 of the 2 underneath nuts. once this last 1 comes out the manifold will be all mine. My airchisel arrived about an hour ago so im just about ready to get it done. Itll all be down to reinstalling, going out and buying either the o2 sims or the sparkplug antifoulers... all in all i should be up and running by the end of the weekend. Thats if the hurricane doesnt blow us away..
Old 08-25-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
You may have missed when he stated he stripped a couple studs. It is magnitudes easier to address a frozen stud with the assy off the car. I actually did this as well because of a sheared stud(impatience). The front manifold comes off in no time. Try to drill out a stud on the small radius bend side of the cat while it's on the car? I think not.

I did miss the part about the stud being stripped But i want to see if he can gut the rear cat while on the car.As soon as he starts gutting it i want to hear if he thinks it could ever be a possibility.I admire him for doing this himself because even though i probably could have done it myself, but once i saw how it fought my mechanic the whole way and after seeing how time consuming it was for a master tech, i would never want to do it myself.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:15 PM

rear cat is off the cari started gutting it but that thing is a beotch compared to the front 1... so much harder and more dense.it took me about 15 minutes to poke through the other side but i decided to call it quits for the night i dont htink the neighbors like my air compressor and chisel going full blast at midnight lol so ill start back up on it tomorrow.. Im just wondering now if i should just go ahead and bolt it all up and run it or take the time out to address the main cat also....i might just get it all together and take it to a muffler shop to cut it out and weld in a straight pipe but i dunno what do yall think?

o and 1 more thing about these simulators, can i just go right to autozone or pepboys and ask for 4 of these o2 sims??
Old 08-25-2011, 10:02 PM

The electrical sims are kinda hard to find as they are "illegal". That being said there are a few sites that still sell them just search...

If your looking for the Anti Foulers for the secondaries those can be bought at any auto parts stores.

EDIT:
Not sure if this will work for the max or if any one on the Org has bought one and used one successfully. They are meant for a 3000gt/stealth so...
http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_viewItemBundle.asp?idProduct=769

Last edited by datsunzcar84; 08-25-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:45 AM

...but once i saw how it fought my mechanic the whole way and after seeing how time consuming it was for a master tech, i would never want to do it myself.
Buddy, this is where you and I get into a sissy fight about who's mechanic is better, while the rest of the Org mocks us both for not turning our own wrenches (like the OP... brave, brave Sir Robin).

Originally Posted by 1991Maxima1991
o and 1 more thing about these simulators, can i just go right to autozone or pepboys and ask for 4 of these o2 sims??
Yikes! You didn't research Sims before starting this project?

Go search the Org on "plug fouler" and give that a shot. Less expensive than a Sim, and far easier to purchase.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:02 AM

Rochester, did you go with the sims or anti-fowlers? Is it just the two O2's I have to fool if I only gut the pre's? I'm still waiting for my y pipe so I'm just trying to get things together before hand
Old 08-26-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Buddy, this is where you and I get into a sissy fight about who's mechanic is better, while the rest of the Org mocks us both for not turning our own wrenches (like the OP... brave, brave Sir Robin).

Yikes! You didn't research Sims before starting this project?

Go search the Org on "plug fouler" and give that a shot. Less expensive than a Sim, and far easier to purchase.

Rochester im not trying to fight about anything and it makes no difference to me who's mechanic is better as long as mine fixes my car.Im just stating that it is not possible to gut the rear bank pre-cat while it's still bolted to the manifold.If you watched your mechanic do it you would understand what i mean.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:11 AM

rear cat is off the cari started gutting it but that thing is a beotch compared to the front 1... so much harder and more dense.it took me about 15 minutes to poke through the other side but i decided to call it quits for the night i dont htink the neighbors like my air compressor and chisel going full blast at midnight lol so ill start back up on it tomorrow.. Im just wondering now if i should just go ahead and bolt it all up and run it or take the time out to address the main cat also....i might just get it all together and take it to a muffler shop to cut it out and weld in a straight pipe but i dunno what do yall think?

Go to autozone in the HELP isle and pick up two 18mm anti-foulers(the longer of the two) theres short and long 18mm I been like 700 miles with no cel
Old 08-26-2011, 06:40 AM

Rochester im not trying to fight about anything and it makes no difference to me who's mechanic is better as long as mine fixes my car.Im just stating that it is not possible to gut the rear bank pre-cat while it's still bolted to the manifold.If you watched your mechanic do it you would understand what i mean.
I'm not fighting, I'm trying to be funny with you, and completely failing, it seems. I don't blame you for not catching the humor I'm pitching (poorly). It is just a car forum, after all... some things just don't translate.

But seriously, you have to stop saying it's not possible to gut the rear pre-cat while still on the car, when people have done exactly that. You're confusing teh noobs.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-26-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:53 AM

I'm not fighting, I'm trying to be funny with you... and completely failing, it seems.

But seriously, you have to stop saying it's not possible to gut the rear pre-cat while still on the car, when people have done exactly that. You're confusing teh noobs.

Nah i just have i hard time reading people i guess bud As far as the rear cat im going to have to agree to disagree, Not trying to be a jackass but i just don't see how it's possible on the car no matter if your the best tech in the world or not ??
Old 08-26-2011, 07:43 AM

From what ive seen being under the car while the rear bank was still on is that it looks like its enough room to get the airchisel or w/e up up in the cat to gut it but the material is sooo hard that you would be better off taking out the 4 bolts dropping the cat and putting it up on a bench vise to gut...i have mine ontop of a trash can so the material will just fall in there but to each his own i just know i wouldnt want to be underneath that cat when that shyt is falling down in your face...It could be done tho i believe..

Anyways so all i need is 2 18mm anti foulers from autozone to get rid of the cel?? which 2 do i put them in? Im counting 5 sensors total...pretty confused on which 1's will need them
Old 08-26-2011, 07:51 AM

Anyways so all i need is 2 18mm anti foulers from autozone to get rid of the cel?? which 2 do i put them in? Im counting 5 sensors total...pretty confused on which 1's will need them
The secondaries provide measurements that compare against measurements from the primaries. You need to spoof the signal coming from the secondary O2 sensors.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-26-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:36 AM

You just need a o2 dual simulator like this. Don't know if they are still selling them, but just an example.

http://www.o2simulator.com/index.php...products_id=10
Old 08-26-2011, 02:31 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Nah i just have i hard time reading people i guess bud As far as the rear cat im going to have to agree to disagree, Not trying to be a jackass but i just don't see how it's possible on the car no matter if your the best tech in the world or not ??
I know this is beating a dead horse and you seem to feel adamant about it, but it's a pet peeve of mine to hear an inaccuracy echoed in multiple threads. It is possible(and has been done by numerous individuals) to gut the rear cat while attached to the engine with the manifold in place.I didn't have someone else gut my cats. I did it. I don't get any merit badge for it, but I do feel I get the credibility since I've got the experience here.

I chose to not go this route because it would be extremely difficult without a lift and there are possible consequences for debris to become a potential problem. However, it is physically possible. If you would like, I would be more than happy to explain it over the phone. Genuinely. I actually like talking more than writing. It allows for more dynamic conversation. PM me if you are willing to banter back and forth. If not, I'll try to let sleeping dogs lie on this topic. Deal?
Old 08-26-2011, 04:02 PM

I know this is beating a dead horse and you seem to feel adamant about it, but it's a pet peeve of mine to hear an inaccuracy echoed in multiple threads. It is possible(and has been done by numerous individuals) to gut the rear cat while attached to the engine with the manifold in place.I didn't have someone else gut my cats. I did it. I don't get any merit badge for it, but I do feel I get the credibility since I've got the experience here.

I chose to not go this route because it would be extremely difficult without a lift and there are possible consequences for debris to become a potential problem. However, it is physically possible. If you would like, I would be more than happy to explain it over the phone. Genuinely. I actually like talking more than writing. It allows for more dynamic conversation. PM me if you are willing to banter back and forth. If not, I'll try to let sleeping dogs lie on this topic. Deal?

Hey what can i say i have been wrong before and im sure i will again.If it can be done it's not a smart or efficient way to do that job and not to mention all the debris from the cat getting shot and stuck up in the manifold.Love to see how much oil the car would burn after doing that either it's sketchy as heck in my eyes but to each his own.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:44 PM

Hey what can i say i have been wrong before and im sure i will again.
That would have been a fine place to stop, and yet...

If it can be done it's not a smart or efficient way to do that job and not to mention all the debris from the cat getting shot and stuck up in the manifold.Love to see how much oil the car would burn after doing that either it's sketchy as heck in my eyes but to each his own.
If you like, I could give you my mechanic's phone number, and you could explain to him what is and isn't smart. However, I don't think it would go over too well.

Now, that might sound snarky, but it's all in good fun, champ. And nelledge is right (again, damn him)... it's time for you to get off this horse.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-26-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:42 PM

That would have been a fine place to stop, and yet...

If you like, I could give you my mechanic's phone number, and you could explain to him what is and isn't smart. However, I don't think it would go over too well.

Now, that might sound snarky, but it's all in good fun, champ. And nelledge is right (again, damn him)... it's time for you to get off this horse.
Well im sure he's a hell of a lot better at what he does than i am but sometimes i just can't see why people do things the way they do but it is what it is i guess.One guy does it one way..The other guy does it another way,This is all a bunch of horse **** We should be trying to help the future cat gutters not going back and forth about how it got done because in the end all that matters is that it got done I think me and you feed of each others knowledge on here sometimes and we should keep it that way
Old 08-26-2011, 06:43 PM

The rear cat is the one against the firewall right
Old 08-26-2011, 07:50 PM

Is it OK if I admit how much I enjoy watching 036mtmax struggle with his stubborn streak? It was fun.

For perspective, this was the guy who cut his teeth on the Org six months ago after swapping 4 or 5 different gear fluids in his 6MT until he got the one that felt just right. That kind of OCD attention to detail explains a lot about why he can't walk things back.

It's all good, 036mtmax. The Org is better for having you around this year.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:58 AM

welp didnt get much done today at all, i went out and had a hell of a night for my b-day, but anyway ill get back to this shyt in the morning... btw the rear cat is a beeeeoootttccchh to gut... the materical inside is frikin metal and no matter how much you hit it with the air chisel itll just smush together and begome a bigger mass of metal, this craps insane lol owell well see how it goes tomorrow.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:36 AM

welp didnt get much done today at all, i went out and had a hell of a night for my b-day, but anyway ill get back to this shyt in the morning... btw the rear cat is a beeeeoootttccchh to gut... the materical inside is frikin metal and no matter how much you hit it with the air chisel itll just smush together and begome a bigger mass of metal, this craps insane lol owell well see how it goes tomorrow.

Dude i have never thought it was possible to see a mechanic drop as many f bombs as he did that night he gutted my rear cat Try to get an air chisel that will go through the cat completely in one end and out the other. it seemed to go a lot faster that way.Keep us posted man nice work
Old 08-27-2011, 04:41 AM

These are the anti-foulers you want from autozone 18mm's you have to drill out the small hole inside with a 1/2 inch bit
There was two set's of 18 mm foulers there (long and short) i got the longer ones

Last edited by 036mtmax; 08-27-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:48 AM

These are the anti-foulers you want from autozone 18mm's you have to drill out the smell hole inside with a 1/2 inch bit

For some reason, those are smaller than I thought they'd be. How long has it been now that you've used these to spoof your rear sensors?

I love how much more simple a technique this is than using a Sim.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:20 PM

Damn hurricane! i cant even go out side and work on the cat....i could do it in the garage but i really dont want all that dust and debris flying everywhere...i dunno maybe ill bolt up the front manifold now.. just not too motovated today :/, o and with those antifoulers you have to buy a two pack then drill only 1 of them put them both together and then screw in the o2? basically 1 pack works for 1 sensor...
Old 08-27-2011, 02:31 PM

Damn hurricane! i cant even go out side and work on the cat....i could do it in the garage but i really dont want all that dust and debris flying everywhere...i dunno maybe ill bolt up the front manifold now.. just not too motovated today :/, o and with those antifoulers you have to buy a two pack then drill only 1 of them put them both together and then screw in the o2? basically 1 pack works for 1 sensor...

Drill both of them out.You put one in the y next to the oil pan which i threw a you a pic of and there's another one above that one you put the other fouler in there.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:33 PM

I would tell you to put the foulers in first if you have the y dropped because the one above the 02 pictured is kind of a pita to do on the car unless you have an 02 sensor removal tool
Old 08-27-2011, 07:00 PM

036mtmax I would like to thank you for that picture. Do you have the stock Y pipe or what?
Old 08-27-2011, 08:09 PM

For some reason, those are smaller than I thought they'd be. How long has it been now that you've used these to spoof your rear sensors?

I love how much more simple a technique this is than using a Sim.

I think close to a thousand miles now, i have purposely driven alot lately to see if the cel will come back on...My mechanic checked it with his scan tool a week later and he said it's not monitoring it so i shouldn't ever have a problem with them (hopefully)
Old 08-27-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Xpcgamer
036mtmax I would like to thank you for that picture. Do you have the stock Y pipe or what?

Not a problem xpc, and yes it's the factory y pipe just with the heat sheilds removed
Old 08-28-2011, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Xpcgamer
Do you have the stock Y pipe or what?
Hence the 180 degree bend so that the two collector pipes have an even length. The heat shield on the OEM y-pipe hides that design.

Right now, there's a whole crew of people over in that Cattman Y-pipe Group Buy who are receiving their orders this week. I'm curious how many (if any) will be gutting their pre-cats as part of the install.

Apparently there are three y-pipes still available for purchase.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:11 AM

^^^ interesting! i really want 1 but i need to just do this shyt in steps.. next step is to put everythign back together and finish gutting the rear cat ! then ima get a test pipe then maybe the ypipe..
Old 08-28-2011, 08:41 AM

Hence the 180 degree bend so that the two collector pipes have an even length. The heat shield on the OEM y-pipe hides that design.

Right now, there's a whole crew of people over in that Cattman Y-pipe Group Buy who are receiving their orders this week. I'm curious how many (if any) will be gutting their pre-cats as part of the install.

Apparently there are three y-pipes still available for purchase.

Rochester, did you notice a louder sound or power gain at all when you did your y ??
Old 08-28-2011, 08:42 AM

^^^ interesting! i really want 1 but i need to just do this shyt in steps.. next step is to put everythign back together and finish gutting the rear cat ! then ima get a test pipe then maybe the ypipe..

Instead of a test pipe you can always gut the rear cat while the y's down
Old 08-28-2011, 09:11 AM

Rochester, did you notice a louder sound or power gain at all when you did your y ??
Yes and yes, but neither with a "Holy ****!" moment. Everything I've done on the car has been incremental and cumulative. Things like headers or coilovers would have been a drastic change. However, looking back now I should have gone both routes, because I'd be that much more happy.

Anyway, looking at exhaust mods only, the history goes back a number of years:

2007 - Cattman 2.5" cat-back
2008 - Cattman y-pipe
2011 - Gutted pre-cats

The uneven length of the y-pipe immediately created a deeper tone to the exhaust, which I like. And from low-end to high, there was a small, noticeable increase in power, commensurate with the advertised gains of 8-12 HP. Also something to like.

Of course, with hindsight, I should have purchased the headers (added noise notwithstanding), but hindsight is a blind date.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:55 AM

I'm hoping my y is coming this week, and I plan on gutting the pre cats. I think I have to get a new maf this week before, as my car won't even idle now :l
Old 08-28-2011, 12:01 PM

Instead of a test pipe you can always gut the rear cat while the y's down

Well ya thats what i was going to do all along but my ypipe isnt actually "dropped" its still attached to the main cat because i still cant get those 4 nuts loose... im thinking the only way to get it off is to cut the studs and drill them all out.. what a pain in the a** that will be... and also i read that with the main cat gutted itll sound funny, any 1 have experiance with that?
Old 08-28-2011, 06:05 PM

Well ya thats what i was going to do all along but my ypipe isnt actually "dropped" its still attached to the main cat because i still cant get those 4 nuts loose... im thinking the only way to get it off is to cut the studs and drill them all out.. what a pain in the a** that will be... and also i read that with the main cat gutted itll sound funny, any 1 have experiance with that?

Im not sure if you have access to a torch to heat the bolts up but i know my mechainic had to torch a couple bolts to crack em loose and as far as gutting the main cat idk. I bought a megan racing one on ebay and cut an inch out of it and re-welded it because there made in inch bigger for some reason and it will push your exhaust tips out an inch and looks stupid.

Quick Reply: Hmm thinking about cutting the cats this week..