5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

LED light strips on my maxima (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 06:19 PM

LED light strips on my maxima (pics inside)

Ok so a few weeks ago i picked up some white led light strips from walmart just for the hell of it, they came with double sided tape already attached, were a decent color, and were quite bright. I figured i would either find a good spot to place them on the interior as accent/footwell lights or try to use them as drls on the outside. I went with option 2 and decided to place them inside the small slits in the bottom of the front bumper on my 5th gen. I decided to place them there because for one everybody always mounts those strips on/in the headlights somewhere and i wanted to try something different, and two, it was a pretty discreet location that IMO didnt look too tacky. I ran the wires back into the cabin and used a multimeter to find a power source i could tap in to that would always have power (as long as the key was in). I ended up splicing into mirror adjuster next to the steering wheel. I also picked up a little red rocker switch for $2 so i could turn the lights off during the night if i wanted. After i finished the project everything worked just fine and i feel overall proud of my handiwork (i know its not a huge project like rebuilding a tranny or whatever, but i accomplished something.) Here's a few pics of what it looks like. Comments are welcome, just be nice

With parking lights (ebay halos) and led strip on:

With headlights and led strip on:

With the led stip only (camera flash on):

The red rocker switch (looks cleaner in person)

Tell me what you guys think! and ill have a daytime pic up soon.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:33 PM

Old 08-24-2011, 07:04 PM
Banned

not feeling it, maybe cause it looks to close
Old 08-24-2011, 07:13 PM

The lights look ok! The switch looks like it wore jeans and t-shirt to the Prom....
Old 08-24-2011, 07:18 PM

I can not wait for this halo/LED strips fad to die off. That car looks so confused. It's a Nissan, but it wants to be something more. It couldn't decide if it wanted to be a BMW or an Audi, so it went with a little bit of both.

Seriously people, stop it. Halos and LED strips are not cool. They're dumb and played out.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:33 PM

Haha i knew there would be that kind of response, and thats ok. I like the way it looks. I wish there was a better place to put them but whatever i like where they are. As for the switch ill probably be getting something better soon, it looks pretty out of place but its a $2 switch so whatever. Im sure you guys think it looks rice but whatever, to each his own. I dont use them all that much outside of the daytime as they dont serve any lighting purpose as night, thats the reason i wired a switch. As for the car trying to look like something it isnt, thats not why i've set up my lights this way. I did it because i like how it make my MAXIMA look. I've kinda had an led obsession recently (you should see the interior...) but if you guys are "too cool" for that its fine. Thanks for the feedback
Old 08-24-2011, 07:38 PM

im just amazed you chose this route and not fog lights, personally I think it looks tacky but I dont have to drive your max...you do! so do what you want its your car be happy
Old 08-24-2011, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by BigLou55
im just amazed you chose this route and not fog lights
I was just thinking the same thing.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:55 PM

Where's Rochester on this?
Old 08-24-2011, 08:00 PM

really reallllllllly off with his head
Old 08-24-2011, 08:20 PM

I think they look hot!! The Audi's have the same kind of lights just right under the headlights though....so I don't see why they would be illegal. The only think I don't like is the switch....where you mounted it is cool...just looks a bit off. I just installed neon lights under my dash inside the car...and the switch I used is a circular black switch....when it's on it has a little red LED on the one side that lights up to let you know its on...I would have went that route...a smoother looking switch..but hey man...it's nice I like the lights.....it's your max and whatever you want to do with it go!! I like when people put diversity in their Maximas...shows their personality and creativity...that great man! Don't worry about other people on this forum....(BUT YOU DID ASK FOR OPINIONS).....I found out real quick some people on here are just ignorant. So do what you want with YOUR Maxima......
Old 08-24-2011, 09:51 PM
Got Retrofit?

I hate seeing threads like this.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:55 PM

^^ Lol that GIF really drew me in for some reason, I watched it a few times.

OP your brave, I must say. I'll be nice and say that its not THAT awful, just a little much for my taste. Your really have to do something about that switch though, its an eye sore.

Here is where I put my switch for my illuminated footwells, drilled a whole in the bottom of the coin holder and tapped into the 12v socket:

Last edited by MAXXED_816; 08-24-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:56 PM

Old 08-24-2011, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
heheh.

The switch is temporary, i dont like it myself. As for the foglights(warning: off topic), im actually gonna get some eventually, once my money is a bit more freed up. Only thing with foglights is matching them to the headlights, hids are what first comes to mind, but from what i hear that requires plenty of modification. I could go for "super white" bulbs, but those are so hit/miss. I was thinking of trying to custom fit some good quality led foglights but fitment + price is the issue.

But this mod was just a quick $15 dollar thing i did. Not sure if it will be permanent, and had a feeling i would get negative feedback. But that's ok guys, at least i know that my car isnt rocking a 3 foot spoiler, fart can, and underglows. Although i can understand how some might think i have a few too many LEDs .

Last edited by borlamaxima; 08-24-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:36 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by borlamaxima
Only thing with foglights is matching them to the headlights, hids are what first comes to mind, but from what i hear that requires plenty of modification.
35W H3C HIDs should require no modifications and should be safe to run.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:46 PM

I like it....good spot to put them instead of headlights like all others...the switch is A switch so who cares what they think lol...hatterz
Old 08-24-2011, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
35W H3C HIDs should require no modifications and should be safe to run.
i did not know that, i will do some research on that tomorrow, thanks.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:48 PM

Honestly, in my opinion it's just a bad look on the car. Nobodys has really said it yet, but they're just cheap looking. That is not meant for a maxima, more like a 4-banger civic or wrx. They automatically look ricey to me.
I'll he honest, I also had a set of eBay '02-03 style' with the halos like yours, and for the first two months I thought they were cool, but then realized that it just isn't right for THIS car- and I think that is what the problem is with your LEDs. I went back to my original headlights after I anniversary edition'd them and I couldn't be happier.... They just look right on the car.
You should also know, that of you follow the org crowd, you will find that they are mostly very conversative, and like to keep it classy. I cannot comment on other maxima forums, but that is the case with this one.
In my opinion they should come off the car immediately!!! I do however give you credit for originality -(term used loosely) and for posting and opinion based thread on here.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:03 AM
The original VQ...

Looks bad, plus you used some cheap leds . They are just spread to far apart.

I think this is the look your going for which can look good. but you did not achieve it .

Old 08-25-2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by MAXXED_816

This is the EXACT type of switch I have installed for my LED lights under the dash in the footwells as well....except the light is red not blue.

Only thing with foglights is matching them to the headlights, hids are what first comes to mind, but from what i hear that requires plenty of modification.
If you can do this LED light mod on the front of your car you can do HID fogs as well. I did them on mine...the only real "mod" I had to do was cut the wire of the LED bulb and push it through the little rubber holes of the foglamp.....not hard...just splice the wire. It's fairly simple...you will see what I'm talking about when you take the foglight out and look at it. I also had to push the little metal piece that covers the bulb in the foglamp forward with a screw driver because the HID bulb was longer than the stock and it was touching this piece....didn't want to ruin the bulb so just pushed that metal piece forward about 1/4" no big deal.....like I said once you take it apart you will see. The hardest part about doing HID fogs is finding a place to mount the ballast...thats it.

PS: The HALO lights look cool to me!! I like them!
Old 08-25-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
Where's Rochester on this?
Sleeping.

And Flanker84's animated GIF was hilarious! I must have stared at that thing for 30 seconds.

OP, I don't think the issue is that your lights look aligned poorly, or that the light itself clashes. And sure, your rocker switch is pretty tacky, but it's a temporary until you get something clean, right?

Honestly, the problem here is that you installed a look-at-me banner on your car. Without that light strip, if a cop sees you on the road, he's going to subconsciously categorize you as just another 4-door sedan. But when he sees those light strips, the assumption is that here's a kid who thinks his car is more than it is. In a split second, that introduces all the predispositions that apply to youth, such as inexperience and questionable judgement.

In other words, you just set yourself up for profiling.

Traffic court sucks. It just does.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:12 AM

Im not going to be mean but placement is bad. Either under headlights or behind the grill looks the best and cleaner

Last edited by altezzablazes; 08-25-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:49 AM

Those lights are illegal? If so why? Audis have them....just in a different position.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:57 AM
dot dot dot ...

OP, you're entitled to your likes.

Regulars: You guys kill me Saved gifs for future reference.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:30 AM

IMO... OP, bake open your headlights and put them inside. Also, get some fog lights as well.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by MAXXED_816
^^ Lol that GIF really drew me in for some reason, I watched it a few times.
A mod must not have liked that GIF so much... (since it's gone now)

Back on topic. This is what I did for my power to Radar Detector, but same idea. Radio Shack...

Last edited by nismopc; 08-25-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:19 AM

OP... Your courage and determination it's huge!

And follow the advice of other members that recommends you a more discrete button. Seriously, when I see your pic with that big button I almost think that I was looking a plane's cockpit!
Old 08-25-2011, 11:32 AM

But that's ok guys, at least i know that my car isnt rocking cheap egay headlights, autozone leds, and no drop. Although i can understand how some might think i have a few too many LEDs .
What???
Old 08-25-2011, 03:44 PM

i like it but i think you should have put the strips right under the headlights similar to the audis
Old 08-25-2011, 05:28 PM

I was the first to post a response in this thread with a What was wrong with that?
Old 08-25-2011, 08:26 PM

Old 08-26-2011, 03:40 PM

ebay projectors and walmart leds.. aiiiiight!!

Rochester, all 5th gens are subject to that suspicion considering how cheap they've become. No joke. Ask any cop.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by auveeb
Rochester, all 5th gens are subject to that suspicion considering how cheap they've become. No joke. Ask any cop.
Damn it. You may be right. I was thinking the 5th gen was nondescript enough... but if I were a cop, I'd know better. Maybe I'm projecting too much.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Sleeping.

And Flanker84's animated GIF was hilarious! I must have stared at that thing for 30 seconds.

OP, I don't think the issue is that your lights look aligned poorly, or that the light itself clashes. And sure, your rocker switch is pretty tacky, but it's a temporary until you get something clean, right?

Honestly, the problem here is that you installed a look-at-me banner on your car. Without that light strip, if a cop sees you on the road, he's going to subconsciously categorize you as just another 4-door sedan. But when he sees those light strips, the assumption is that here's a kid who thinks his car is more than it is. In a split second, that introduces all the predispositions that apply to youth, such as inexperience and questionable judgement.

In other words, you just set yourself up for profiling.

Traffic court sucks. It just does.
Interesting point.....but i dont use them very much at night, as they're kind pointless, and they're much less obnoxious during the day.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:26 PM

Kind of knight rider-esk.... should make them go side to side and wig-wag
Old 08-26-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
In a split second, that introduces all the predispositions that apply to youth, such as inexperience and questionable judgement. In other words, you just set yourself up for profiling. Traffic court sucks. It just does.
The police here profile alot. The city here is talking about cutting 6 million from the police budget, so they want your money. Since the beginning of spring, I've seen the local cops set up speed traps where I used to see very little if any police activity. US 1 is now patrolled heavily, morning noon and night. I've never seen so many cars get pulled over for speeding in my life here. They're so desperate to make money from tickets that I actually got pulled over, at night on a dimly lit road because my window tint looked too dark. And I did get cited for my front windows and it cost me $100. Even checkpoints are becoming more common to check your car for any and every illegal mod in the books.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
What???
Wow really.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:53 AM

but i dont use them very much at night, as they're kind pointless, and they're much less obnoxious during the day.
Good thinking. I use my fogs during the day (fog rewire mod) for the same reason: just a little extra something to let oncoming traffic be aware of me without being obnoxious, or keeping my headlights on.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:01 AM
Banned

it's funny cuz u would think if they couldn't see a car coming in the broad day light, they also wouldn't notice fog lights on during the day....... people

Quick Reply: LED light strips on my maxima (pics inside)