5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2.5" or 3", Please step in

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
LOL you two crack me up. I do know that about myself, I love to share information, but this is one area I will not do it.
Why? Because sound clips don't work.

The only usable information here that would work is dyno sheets on stock VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE before and after with each product, this information is not something we have, or will get, period.

The other reason being, there's not much need for it in the 5th forums, the fact is most guys have the 3.5, and the 3" is the exhaust for the 3.5, there's no argument, but on the DE-K, I think it's a very viable argument, one that should gather more insightful ideas and thoughts/recommendations, rather than the 'GO 3" or go home" comments (no offense boys, I knew I'd get those answers , but lets actually put this to reason shall we?
QFT
Old 09-03-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Clashez
I can't speak for other 3'' set-up, but mines doesn't have a fart can sound/loud or drone.
Must be all the Merrell bends. And don't you mean 3" ID
Old 09-03-2011, 07:43 PM
The original VQ...

Sorry good call meant to include that, short list:

-SRI with Velocity stack, will be a tuned CAI sometime in the future, no time right now
-Timing Advance
-Trying to get my hands on a Cattman Y-Pipe, but a Y-pipe will be part of this equation regardless of the make
What are you use to do the timing advance on a 00-01?
Old 09-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Banned

Must be all the Merrell bends. And don't you mean 3" ID
Yea 3'' ID , your never going to let up on the mandrell bent thing are ya
Old 09-03-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
What are you use to do the timing advance on a 00-01?
Knight_yyz did it with a program on his laptop, I will not profess to know exactly how he did it, but I can't see why the different engine should make a difference, it's not like an Engine specific modification.

Yea 3'' ID , your never going to let up on the mandrell bent thing are ya
Nope
Old 09-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Banned

you love the twin loop, I Know u do and all it's Merrell bends
Old 09-03-2011, 11:35 PM

My big 3 concerns with a 3" exhaust, in order:

1. Raspy/ricey exhaust note.
If you go cattman 3", this will not happen. I cannot speak for other 3" setups.
2. Loss of low end power. This is one large area that no one has commented on, and one of my big concerns with the 3" approach.
Nope, I definitely felt an improvement in low end power. Other 3.0 4th gens have also reported an improvement in low end power.
3. Too loud (I have a 16 month old, and I'm just not into a loud exhaust, just a nice deep throaty tone is the most I want, otherwise, would prefer stock dB.
It is loud. Though I think I remember cmax03 posting about using a cone silencer insert on his 3" exhaust. Might be something worth looking into.
Responses in red.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:08 AM

Fine.

It's been proven on every motor except the VE's (Maybe Aaron used a 3" on his setup?? I never looked into VE's, never interested in them....) that the Nissan V6 responds well to a 3" piping, Z guys have known this since the inception of the VG30E back in the day.

So with us having a way better designed motor from the ground up not see benefits from a 3".... We have a higher VE than the VG30E's so it'd be silly to put anything on the car (in terms of performance) less than 3".

Honestly I was short with you because if you have to ask the question then you really shouldn't be that interested in the performance of your car and just stick with a stock exhaust and replace the muffler, get nearly the same sound, because nissan did do some magical work with their stock Y-pipe, quite more efficent then other similar setups of it's age.

I found out my answer because of my research outside of Maxima.org, it may come as a shock to you but all engines run off of the same principle... Get air, add fuel, ignite the fuel and release the exhaust... Engines are big air pumps, so when you can not find the answer to your performance problem on the limited resources here... Think outside of the box.... Go find another similar motor (TONS OF THEM) and see what they have done... We're not inventing the wheel here... Everything we have done/are doing/will do has ALREADY been done.

So get a 3" if you want the most power out of your motor, any less is holding it back in every way imaginable, k? done.

Please no more silly losing low end nonsense, we don't own overhead valve V8 motors, we flow quite a bit more air then they do especially for our displacement.

Last edited by aackshun; 09-04-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:25 AM

I just ordered what I think was the second-to-the-last 3" Cattman for the 00-03. There might still be one available. While I realize I have a VQ35DE (with headers +fastcat), and you a DE-K, I am also concerned about it being too loud. With that in mind (at least for long trips), I picked up a G35 sedan muffler to have custom-fit to the rear-section slip-joint. I will have them mandrel bend a 3" pipe, even though the muffler is only 2.5" inlet. A relatively quick muffler swap should then be feasable, or at least so goes the theory.

Eventually I will also dyno both setups to find out how much less power my "quiet" setup has. Just my $.02...
Old 09-04-2011, 06:57 AM

Headers, fast-cat, cattman 3.0" cat-back and a G35 muffler... that reads like a pretty awesome exhaust setup. The Infiniti muffler should quiet things down a bit.

Ever since Brian's announcement a few days ago, there's a sense of urgency on the Org about snapping up the last Cattman products. Although I already have two Cattman exhaust parts, I'm a little jealous of people getting in on the last set of headers and 3.0" cat-backs; (incremental upgrades for me, too late in the game).

Anyway, good for you, tcb_02_max.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun
it'd be silly to put anything on the car (in terms of performance) less than 3".
Honestly I was short with you because if you have to ask the question then you really shouldn't be that interested in the performance of your car and just stick with a stock exhaust and replace the muffler, get nearly the same sound, because nissan did do some magical work with their stock Y-pipe, quite more efficent then other similar setups of it's age.
From an all out performance standpoint it seems the 3" is the way to go. However, I am looking at more here than just the max output and performance. I actually stated I DON'T want it loud, a concept I think you missed in this thread.

Performance is one of the things I'm quite interested in on this car, but it certainly isn't the only thing. That should be obvious by the amount of appearance and suspension mods I've done prior to any serious performance modifications. The fact is, this is a DE-K, it's not going to be that fast regardless, I just want to make sure I spend my money wisely.

I don't understand some people's inability (not directed at you specifically aackshun) to understand a simple concept that is brought up around here consistantly:

ie. My stock exhaust is rotten/needs to be replaced, OEM is too expensive, I am willing to increase the overall volume of the exhaust for some extra ponies, but I don't want it to sound ricey or too loud (attracting cops/family minded). I also don't want to lose low end power.

This concept gets bashed around here constantly, I don't get it, this isn't a muscle car forum, most of us are older guys with a family, the fact is, there are a LOT of us that would rather stay low-key, but still want to see some performance increase.

I found out my answer because of my research outside of Maxima.org, it may come as a shock to you but all engines run off of the same principle... Get air, add fuel, ignite the fuel and release the exhaust... Engines are big air pumps, so when you can not find the answer to your performance problem on the limited resources here... Think outside of the box.... Go find another similar motor (TONS OF THEM) and see what they have done... We're not inventing the wheel here... Everything we have done/are doing/will do has ALREADY been done.
Of course, it's not a shock to me that engines are similar, same basic principles, etc, etc, it's insulting to me that you'd say something like that. You are an educated individual, I've noted that from your posts around here. At the same time, clearly you haven't noticed that I'm the guy that overanalizes everything, researches until his eyes bleed, then when I can't come up with solid answers or still want an opinion, I post.

Especially considering the most direct comparison is the Honda Accord V6 5th gen, 3.0l.
There is the closest matchup in performance, displacement, exhaust and intake.
By your theories and comments, this engine should also be great with a 3" exhaust, right? Well the fact is, it sounds terrible with a 3" exhaust, but fine with a 2.5" exhaust.

Also, torque/low end is decreased quite a bit on those engines with a 3" as opposed to a 2.5" (stock engine), that though, I don't have dynos to prove, that is mostly from Honda Tech's I know out West and in Southwestern Ontario, guys that race these things, and only deal with Hondas.

Please no more silly losing low end nonsense, we don't own overhead valve V8 motors, we flow quite a bit more air then they do especially for our displacement.
This concept/idea of losing low end power with a large exhaust on a stock motor is not silly nonsense, it's a fact, based on proven calculations, and real life trials, like you said, it's as old as automotive engines themselves, this is not a new concept. Now, if you're saying that there ISN'T any loss on the low end on the VQ30, well then that is news to me, and exactly the information I am looking for. I must ask though, where did you find that out? I have not been able to find that information anywhere. I seriously hope this is true.

Originally Posted by tcb_02_max
I just ordered what I think was the second-to-the-last 3" Cattman for the 00-03. There might still be one available. While I realize I have a VQ35DE (with headers +fastcat), and you a DE-K, I am also concerned about it being too loud. With that in mind (at least for long trips), I picked up a G35 sedan muffler to have custom-fit to the rear-section slip-joint. I will have them mandrel bend a 3" pipe, even though the muffler is only 2.5" inlet. A relatively quick muffler swap should then be feasable, or at least so goes the theory.

Eventually I will also dyno both setups to find out how much less power my "quiet" setup has. Just my $.02...
Congrats! And you just gave me an incredible idea, fittin the G muffler is an excellent match to the 2.5" EVO2 Greddy catback, thoughts? As I recall, the sedan muffler is the only one that will work on our cars right?

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 09-04-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:54 AM

Congrats! And you just gave me an incredible idea, fittin the G muffler is an excellent match to the 2.5" EVO2 Greddy catback, thoughts? As I recall, the sedan muffler is the only one that will work on our cars right?
While going that route, weld on a decent set of polished tips. The chrome sleeve tips on the G are a particularly tacky detail for an otherwise fantastic car.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
While going that route, weld on a decent set of polished tips. The chrome sleeve tips on the G are a particularly tacky detail for an otherwise fantastic car.
Yes, truthfully I'd like to find a good stainless muffler, something like the old Frankencar muffler, that would give me a sound comparable to the G35 muffler.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:25 AM

This is some good reading. Where's my coffee? Ahh, here it is!
Old 09-04-2011, 08:29 AM

Yes, truthfully I'd like to find a good stainless muffler, something like the old Frankencar muffler, that would give me a sound comparable to the G35 muffler.
You rarely catch a glimpse of the actual muffler body, whereas you always see the tips. Just saying, for perspective.

The Frankencar muffler & tips were a beautiful thing, but super silent and very restrictive. The value in the Frankencar cat-back was in the pipes and the appearance. Performance, not so much.

There was a moment at last year's Maxus, where there was a small group of people near my car and, Byrdman164's car (who has/had the old Frankencar muffler). We were revving our respective cars and having a conversation with Brian Catt's about exhausts. It was kind of enlightening. (And a high-point for me at Maxus2010, which was mostly a lame experience.)

Last edited by Rochester; 09-04-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:54 AM

You rarely catch a glimpse of the actual muffler body, whereas you always see the tips. Just saying, for perspective.
A very good point. I would just install tips on my AE muffler, but the inlet is only 2.25" IIRC, so the G35 would be much better suited to a Greddy 2.5" catback. I guess i need to go junkyard shopping.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Banned

This set-up is very much like the Frankencar muffler. I got a freind that runs this with obx headers purs smooth
2000-2003 MAXIMA CATBACK SRS TYPE-RE EXHAUST $329.99
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAXIM...item3361c337e9

OBX Cat back Exhaust System 00-03 Nissan Maxima US $229.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-C...item2566c66940
Old 09-04-2011, 09:20 AM

A very good point. I would just install tips on my AE muffler, but the inlet is only 2.25" IIRC, so the G35 would be much better suited to a Greddy 2.5" catback. I guess i need to go junkyard shopping.
If the muffler body isn't polished SS, then perhaps some black hi-temp, black paint would look good on it, contrasted with the polished tips.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:26 AM
Banned

TunerMaxima3000 Have you thought about just going to a muffler shop and having them put one togethier with a muffler of your chose from flea-bay

order 4 Mandrel U Bends 2.5 or 3'' what ever wets your whistle, A muffler of your chose you can have an exhast shop tailer make you cat-back..... like me

but if your going to go 2.5 i would just order 1 of the set-up from my other post

Stay tooned for my next thread how to build your own Mandrel bent 3'' cat-back , lots of pic's video and more

Last edited by Clashez; 09-04-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
This is some good reading. Where's my coffee? Ahh, here it is!
For the most part. Just about every thread has it's share of unwanted nonsense, both on- and off-topic. However, most of Tuner's threads are chock full of interesting information, thorough research and great pictures.

Stay tooned for my next thread
An unintentional word-choice with spot-on accuracy. I enjoyed that.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-04-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:50 AM

This concept/idea of losing low end power with a large exhaust on a stock motor is not silly nonsense, it's a fact, based on proven calculations, and real life trials, like you said, it's as old as automotive engines themselves, this is not a new concept. Now, if you're saying that there ISN'T any loss on the low end on the VQ30, well then that is news to me, and exactly the information I am looking for. I must ask though, where did you find that out? I have not been able to find that information anywhere. I seriously hope this is true.
Go read through the 4th gen cattman 3" thread if you don't believe us.

I'm outta here.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:09 AM
The original VQ...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news , but a 3" catback isnt going to give a bolt on 3.0 nissan any more HP then a 2.5 catback would.

A 3" is plenty for 400+ WHP 5.7 LS1 cars, its overkill for a maxima with a ebay intake and a y-pipe like 97% of the owners on here have.

All your going to get is more noise and drone.

If your boosted or have some serious motor work then 3" will make a differance, other wise your waisting your time and money.

Last edited by maxspeed96CT; 09-04-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:32 AM

I remember reading somewhere in one of Cattman's posts about using the 3" exhaust on a 3.0 De-K. He said it would be beneficial if the engine had alot of mods, such as cams, tune, etc., not just your basic bolt-on's.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by schmellyfart

I'm outta here.
:matt93se: slow 4th gener
Old 09-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Banned

I remember reading somewhere in one of Cattman's posts about using the 3" exhaust on a 3.0 De-K. He said it would be beneficial if the engine had alot of mods, such as cams, tune, etc., not just your basic bolt-on's.
I read the same thing i think it was about the vq30de tho
Old 09-04-2011, 12:00 PM

This set-up is very much like the Frankencar muffler. I got a freind that runs this with obx headers purs smooth

OBX Cat back Exhaust System 00-03 Nissan Maxima US $229.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-C...item2566c66940
Good Finds and Good Prices..
Old 09-04-2011, 12:35 PM

From an all out performance standpoint it seems the 3" is the way to go. However, I am looking at more here than just the max output and performance. I actually stated I DON'T want it loud, a concept I think you missed in this thread.

Of course, it's not a shock to me that engines are similar, same basic principles, etc, etc, it's insulting to me that you'd say something like that. You are an educated individual, I've noted that from your posts around here. At the same time, clearly you haven't noticed that I'm the guy that overanalizes everything, researches until his eyes bleed, then when I can't come up with solid answers or still want an opinion, I post.

Especially considering the most direct comparison is the Honda Accord V6 5th gen, 3.0l.
There is the closest matchup in performance, displacement, exhaust and intake.

Also, torque/low end is decreased quite a bit on those engines with a 3" as opposed to a 2.5" (stock engine), that though, I don't have dynos to prove, that is mostly from Honda Tech's I know out West and in Southwestern Ontario, guys that race these things, and only deal with Hondas.

Ok it seems to me as if you want the impossible, like CMax03, best performance with whisper quietness, the only thing you can do is get the 3" and do the cone inserts like he's talked about.

On top of that, I will give you a bit of advice that isn't on this forum since you don't quite believe in the concept of researching outside of maxima.org.

Adding metal to the exhaust. Look at BMW's stock exhaust systems. There's random sections of added different elements of metal that way the exhaust can not drone at all because the motor will never make the perfect frequency to vibrate the whole thing causing "drone".

With my current setup (and pretty much anything like it with equal length headers/hi-flo cat/catback) it get the cattman drone between 2100-2600rpms where it's just straight "BUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" througout the rear of the cabin.

If I wasn't interested in shaving off as many lbs as possible I would have done the thing I suggested, but I just either drive 60 or 78mph on the highway so I don't have to hear it.

I'm glad NMEMEMEMEMEMEMexMax did this for me, according to this graph I have lost low end, but my setups have been quite wierd throughout my 4th gen's ownership, so I can't compare my expierience to most.

But I was wrong in previous post, Compared to a 2.5 I have lost low end, but with my lightened flywheel I'm not below 3600 @ the track so 2.5" 30DE's only see tailights from me off the line

NMEMEMEMEME needs to confirm this but this is another VQ30DE with Cattman Headers, Cattman Fast Cat, Cattman 2.5" vs my OBX 3.5 Headers, High Flow Cat, Cattman 3".

I hate to be the bearer of bad news , but a 3" catback isnt going to give a bolt on 3.0 nissan any more HP then a 2.5 catback would.

A 3" is plenty for 400+ WHP 5.7 LS1 cars, its overkill for a maxima with a ebay intake and a y-pipe like 97% of the owners on here have.

If your boosted or have some serious motor work then 3" will make a differance, other wise your waisting your time and money.
Run that by me again????

Last edited by aackshun; 09-04-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:36 PM

I like that Too bad the shirt isn't tighter fitting!
Old 09-04-2011, 12:54 PM

Wow that's actually really, really tempting,thanks I'm gonna message them to see what shipping is to Canada.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:59 PM

If the muffler body isn't polished SS, then perhaps some black hi-temp, black paint would look good on it, contrasted with the polished tips.
Hmmm great idea John

Have you thought about just going to a muffler shop and having them put one togethier with a muffler of your chose from flea-bay
Yes I have, this was the route I was going to go on my 4th gen, but I don't have the time to get into that these days. I could never pay someone to do it, I'm able to do it myself. I can however justify a complete cat-back system for the right price.

Besides, a good muffler will cost enough money to make the wholething a moot point. living in Canada has it's disadvantages

^ these are some of the millions of opinions that are on the other side of the "go big or go home" fence. This is why I thought it was a reasonable question to ask, even though I've researched the crap out of it, it's been near impossible to come to a solid conclusion, and I've been unable to find any dyno sheets.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:08 PM

Ok it seems to me as if you want the impossible, like CMax03, best performance with whisper quietness, the only thing you can do is get the 3" and do the cone inserts like he's talked about.

On top of that, I will give you a bit of advice that isn't on this forum since you don't quite believe in the concept of researching outside of maxima.org.

Adding metal to the exhaust. Look at BMW's stock exhaust systems. There's random sections of added different elements of metal that way the exhaust can not drone at all because the motor will never make the perfect frequency to vibrate the whole thing causing "drone".

With my current setup (and pretty much anything like it with equal length headers/hi-flo cat/catback) it get the cattman drone between 2100-2600rpms where it's just straight "BUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" througout the rear of the cabin.

If I wasn't interested in shaving off as many lbs as possible I would have done the thing I suggested, but I just either drive 60 or 78mph on the highway so I don't have to hear it.

I'm glad NMEMEMEMEMEMEMexMax did this for me, according to this graph I have lost low end, but my setups have been quite wierd throughout my 4th gen's ownership, so I can't compare my expierience to most.

But I was wrong in previous post, Compared to a 2.5 I have lost low end, but with my lightened flywheel I'm not below 3600 @ the track so 2.5" 30DE's only see tailights from me off the line

NMEMEMEMEME needs to confirm this but this is another VQ30DE with Cattman Headers, Cattman Fast Cat, Cattman 2.5" vs my OBX 3.5 Headers, High Flow Cat, Cattman 3".
Originally Posted by schmellyfart

I'm outta here.
You guys have the wrong impression. My 'retort' if you want to call it that, was simply because I felt insulted by aackshun, who implied that I don't know what I'm talking about and that I haven't researched.

Like I said above, I've researched, and many other places than the org man, just as you have. The thing is, I didn't find any conclusive evidence that would say, a 3" is better than a 2.5" for my application. Let alone any evidence that it's worth the added cost and noise.

Now that dyno sheet, if it's a comparison as you say, is extremely useful to see, thanks so much for posting that man! Because you've clearly found more info in this regard than I have, care to drop the misconception that I'm a blundering idiot, and I'll drop the misconception that you posted without really reading my thread, and then you can just share some of the research and hard facts that you've found that brought you to the 3" conclusion?

Oh and I have to note, by that dyno, I would say that the 2.5" vs. 3" on the VQ30DE-K is still a very viable argument. Despite higher overall numbers with your setup, I see drastic low-end power loss on that dyno.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:09 PM
The original VQ...

Run that by me again????

Looks to me like your comparing two different cars instead of back to back run of 2.5" vs 3.0" , which is realy apples to oranges. You can take two stock maximas run them back to back and chances are one will make more Hp then the other. Its just how it is.

And if your comparing numbers done on two diffrent dynos , then all of your comparisions can be used as toilet paper and nothing more.. Because even with the correction factor all machines are calibrated slightly different and no two are exactly alike .

So long story short you did nothing but spend more money
Old 09-04-2011, 01:20 PM

Looks to me like your comparing two different cars instead of back to back run of 2.5" vs 3.0" , which is realy apples to oranges. You can take two stock maximas run them back to back and chances are one will make more Hp then the other. Its just how it is.

And if your comparing numbers done on two diffrent dynos , then all of your comparisions can be used as toilet paper and nothing more.. Because even with the correction factor all machines are calibrated slightly different and no two are exactly alike .

Yeah I guess your right, because of the epic differences in two dynojets can lead to such a big difference of 5whp and 11 ft/lbs, even with different shaped curves too! guess I spent all that money for nothing

It could also because my maxima is the JDM spec model which comes with 5whp and 11 ft/lbs more too, guess my 3" is just a hunk a junk.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:54 PM
The original VQ...

Yeah I guess your right, because of the epic differences in two dynojets can lead to such a big difference of 5whp and 11 ft/lbs, even with different shaped curves too! guess I spent all that money for nothing

It could also because my maxima is the JDM spec model which comes with 5whp and 11 ft/lbs more too, guess my 3" is just a hunk a junk.

Please leave and dont come back, your comparing 2 diffrent dyno jets, 2 diffrent maximas in two different parts of the country.... do I need to continue?

I could of made a chart using paint shop and stated the same results lol
Old 09-04-2011, 01:58 PM

I can see how a De-K has the potential to make more power with a 3" exhaust, but wouldn't that almost require to have headers and a high flow cat or a test pipe and tune to do it?

I have thought of going 3", but my engine has over 165,000 miles on it, and I would probably want to do a rebuild, raise the compression and get cams for it and a Greddy E-manage ultimate.

With my particular car, all I have as far as engine mods go are a Berk sri with Apexi filter, and a grounding kit. My current exhaust is the factory setup with the resonator deleted. I was thinking about going with a Y-pipe since my 2000 fed spec would eliminate both factory precats, a high flow cat and something like a Megan or BRM 2.5" exhaust. I had thought about 3", but I'm not sure if I would get any significant gains from that over a 2.5" with my current engine mileage and engine mods. At least that's the conclusion I came up with after doing some brainstorming.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:58 PM

This.

I actually was planning to paint the muffler high-temp flat black, and am still undecided on the tips. On the one hand, the stock look would keep it low-profile, but I currently have shiny Megan tips right now, so that eye-candy would surely be missed.

If you do decide to go with a G35 muffler, check out g35driver.com - good-condition sedan mufflers show up every once in a while. And fyi the mufflers are 14" long for 03-04 / 16" for 05-06, so the earlier ones are slightly louder.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Banned

Wow that's actually really, really tempting,thanks I'm gonna message them to see what shipping is to Canada.
Yea this is the set-up i was going to go with before i decided to do the 3''1/2 cat-back twin loop set-up..
Old 09-04-2011, 05:00 PM

Please leave and dont come back, your comparing 2 diffrent dyno jets, 2 diffrent maximas in two different parts of the country.... do I need to continue?

I could of made a chart using paint shop and stated the same results lol
Yes please continue maxspeed96ct-sama since you know everything about the VQ that there is to know. You speak with such confidence about the 3" not making power over the 2.5" so I'm quite sure you have had every single setup there is to have on the Maxima and dyno'd and tracked them all, please with your wealth of knowledge and experience take pity on us noobs and take us to school, matter fact since you know so much you can actually make a more accurate chart in paint than a dynojet can of our car's performance......

I mean hell, since I am the only one posting dynographs to back up what I'm saying, I'm sure you can just type really long paragraphs with big words to impress us....

Last edited by aackshun; 09-04-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:42 PM

LMAO at this.

Oh to clear it up aackshun,are you running the stock DE on that '99? And that was versus a 4th gen with a DE-K or a 5th gen? Just to get the numbers straight, because if that's a VQ30DE with 3" against a VQ30DE-K with a 2.5", then I'm on board for the 3"

Please clear that up.

Originally Posted by tcb_02_max
If you do decide to go with a G35 muffler, check out g35driver.com - good-condition sedan mufflers show up every once in a while. And fyi the mufflers are 14" long for 03-04 / 16" for 05-06, so the earlier ones are slightly louder.
Thanks man, great info, I'm digging up info on the G35 muffler
Old 09-04-2011, 06:07 PM
The original VQ...

Yes please continue maxspeed96ct-sama since you know everything about the VQ that there is to know. You speak with such confidence about the 3" not making power over the 2.5" so I'm quite sure you have had every single setup there is to have on the Maxima and dyno'd and tracked them all, please with your wealth of knowledge and experience take pity on us noobs and take us to school, matter fact since you know so much you can actually make a more accurate chart in paint than a dynojet can of our car's performance......

I mean hell, since I am the only one posting dynographs to back up what I'm saying, I'm sure you can just type really long paragraphs with big words to impress us....
It has nothing to do with being a maxima know it all, its just common auto knowledge a good 2.5 exhaust will flow plenty for a 200 Hp 3.0 motor.

Im glad you have fancy dyno comparisons, they are about as usefull as **** on a bull. But if it makes you feel better then cool , but please dont manipulate others ..

Quick Reply: 2.5" or 3", Please step in