5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2.5" or 3", Please step in

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011 | 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by BobPezz
This system has been on the car since March and is starting to show some surface rust spots, so far not too bad for 8 mos.

Looks good. ?? does 1 tip stick out a little farther than the other? I can't tell if its angles or pic but looks like left tip is a little further out.
Old 10-04-2011 | 12:23 PM

Not to jack byt I dnt wana start a new thread but were can I get a bigger mid pipe or a mandrel exhaust?
Old 10-04-2011 | 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by 7speed
Looks good. ?? does 1 tip stick out a little farther than the other? I can't tell if its angles or pic but looks like left tip is a little further out.
Yes, one tip is shorter than the other to match the curve of the bumper.
Old 10-04-2011 | 01:09 PM

Yes, one tip is shorter than the other to match the curve of the bumper.
That's intentional? It looks wrong having one tip longer than the other.

I suppose you could always cut them off and have some decent tips welded on.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-04-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-04-2011 | 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
It looks wrong having one tip longer than the other.
That's what she said!

Old 10-04-2011 | 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
That's what she said!
Did she? Did she really? Because last time I looked down and counted...

I think you mean, "That's what he said." Except no one actually says that.
Old 10-04-2011 | 02:04 PM

That's intentional? It looks wrong having one tip longer than the other.

I suppose you could always cut them off and have some decent tips welded on.
I thought EXACTLY the same thing BEFORE putting it on. It looks good on the car though, matches the curve of the bumper nicely, and one could imagine it's something Nissan stylists might do aesthetically. Ah Ha! I just noticed, now that I'm a contributing member I can attach some sound files as a zip. I KNOW you all really want to hear this exhaust! Only as a subjective comparison judgement, for you Rochester.

I think I'll go try that now! Where's the AAA batteries for my digital sound recorder?

Last edited by BobPezz; 10-04-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-04-2011 | 02:13 PM

It looks good on the car though, matches the curve of the bumper nicely, and one could imagine it's something Nissan stylists might do aesthetically.
I couldn't imagine it, because I'm pretty sure OEM exhaust tips are evenly matched. But whatever, Bob... you like it, and it's your exhaust.

For future reference, Borla and Magnaflow make some really attractive, high quality exhaust tips, if ever you get the itch to make it look something other than it does now. I've often thought of cutting off my 3" SS tips from the Cattman muffler for something with a little more style... but I never got around to it.

And now it's too late to matter.
Old 10-04-2011 | 03:10 PM

bigger is better "thats what she said"
Old 10-04-2011 | 04:12 PM

I couldn't imagine it, because I'm pretty sure OEM exhaust tips are evenly matched. But whatever, Bob... you like it, and it's your exhaust.

For future reference, Borla and Magnaflow make some really attractive, high quality exhaust tips, if ever you get the itch to make it look something other than it does now. I've often thought of cutting off my 3" SS tips from the Cattman muffler for something with a little more style... but I never got around to it.

And now it's too late to matter.
Well, at this point I won't change a thing. As far as looks. Do you remember the stock 00-01 muffler with the big chrome oval around the rusty dual tips inside it? IMHO the offset tips are beautiful compared to that hideous thing! I think the stock 02-03 dual tips are equal length, but don't they still have the steel tube inside a chrome tube thing going on? As for the Cattman muffler, don't mess with perfection.

Anyway, here's my 1st. try at recording and attaching a .wav file in a .zip file to allow attaching it to the message. I positioned the digital recorder approx. 3' from the muffler tips at roughly a 45deg angle. It's not exactly perfect, but good enough to get an idea of the exhaust sound. Oh well THAT was a FAIL. Guess the .ORG will only accept pictures.

Last edited by BobPezz; 10-04-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-04-2011 | 04:28 PM

Do you remember the stock 00-01 muffler with the big chrome oval around the rusty dual tips inside it? IMHO the offset tips are beautiful compared to that hideous thing!
I'll give you that. Although I'm really not liking the tips on this ebay catback, they do look much, MUCH better than the chrome covers on the OEM tips. So that's a fair point.

As for your audio file, zip it up, go into "Advanced" mode on the post, scroll down and click "Manage Attachments".
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Test.zip (11.3 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Rochester; 10-04-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-04-2011 | 04:34 PM

the stock 00-01 muffler with the big chrome oval around the rusty dual tips inside it? IMHO the offset tips are beautiful compared to that hideous thing!
I agree with you on that oval tip. The first thing (mod?) I did to my car was to cut that damn thing off. I cleaned up the tailpipe tips and shot the muffler and tips with black ceramic header paint. It looks so much better now that way.
Old 10-04-2011 | 04:37 PM

You know what? This discussion actually has some value for me now. It points out the very first thing I should do with the G37... cut the factory tips and weld on something decent.

Because Infiniti does the same lazy-azz thing, putting crappy chrome covers over rusty steel tips.

Something like this, if not exactly these... although pricey at $137/ea.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-04-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-04-2011 | 04:41 PM

I'll give you that. Although I'm really not liking the tips on this ebay catback, they do look much, MUCH better than the chrome covers on the OEM tips. So that's a fair point.

As for your audio file, zip it up, go into "Advanced" mode on the post, scroll down and click "Manage Attachments".
It absolutely looks better on the car than off. Does this look as bad as you expected?

And I purposely took this pic at the angle that emphasizd the tip offset.

As I said it nicely matches the curve of the bumper. Unique yes, but IMHO way more tasteful than some of those potato launchers sticking out a mile from the valance.
Old 10-04-2011 | 04:46 PM

As I said it nicely matches the curve of the bumper. Unique yes, but IMHO way more tasteful than some of those potato launchers sticking out a mile from the valance.
More tasteful than fart cans? Well, yeah.

I don't care for the rolled edge, the gap between the tips, the tapered neck, nor the uneven length. But I'm really picky about details like that.

You got a fair exhaust for a fair price, likely an upgrade over OEM and better looking, too. It's a win for you, Pezz. You don't have to make me happy. It's not my car.
Old 10-04-2011 | 04:48 PM

I agree with you on that oval tip. The first thing (mod?) I did to my car was to cut that damn thing off. I cleaned up the tailpipe tips and shot the muffler and tips with black ceramic header paint. It looks so much better now that way.
Heh...heh! Same thing here, cut that sucker right off! I sprung for 2 AZ rolled chrome tips that barely fit (rubber hammer install) on the pipes to hide 'em.
Old 10-04-2011 | 05:00 PM

More tasteful than fart cans? Well, yeah.

I don't care for the rolled edge, the gap between the tips, the tapered neck, nor the uneven length. But I'm really picky about details like that.

You got a fair exhaust for a fair price, likely an upgrade over OEM and better looking, too. It's a win for you, Pezz. You don't have to make me happy. It's not my car.
Oh I agree, it's a matter of taste. I'm a bit OCD on that stuff too, but I like rolled tips and the unique offset after my initial WTF when seen off the car.

BTW; I did exactly as you said with the zip file, difference is yours was an accepted format jpg in the zip. I was trying to send a wav in the zip and the file was rejected.

Last edited by BobPezz; 11-24-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2011 | 05:11 PM

Heh...heh! Same thing here, cut that sucker right off! I sprung for 2 AZ rolled chrome tips that barely fit (rubber hammer install) on the pipes to hide 'em.
I had thought about putting chrome/stainless tips on, but the blacked out look of the exhaust started to grow on me, so I left it alone. I was thinking about extending out the tips a bit further since they're recessed so far back behind the bumper cover, similar to these Dinan tips.

Old 10-04-2011 | 07:01 PM

All this talk tonight about exhaust tips... so I went out to the garage, got out the Meguiars Metal Polish, and cleaned up the Cattman muffler and tips. Over 4 years now, and it all still looks new. My only regret was not taking as good care of the SS surface in the first few years, as I have in the last two.

But anyway... to the point of the recent conversation... the exhaust tips are supposed to be even length. It would look really weird otherwise. It makes more design-sense that the line from tip-to-tip be perpendicular to the orientation of the car... not adhering to any curve in the bumper.

I'm looking at the exhaust, imaging what it would look like if the outermost tip were recessed a half-inch, and it's just wrong.

That's my 2-cents.
Old 10-04-2011 | 07:24 PM

All this talk tonight about exhaust tips... so I went out to the garage, got out the Meguiars Metal Polish, and cleaned up the Cattman muffler and tips. Over 4 years now, and it all still looks new. My only regret was not taking as good care of the SS surface in the first few years, as I have in the last two.

But anyway... to the point of the recent conversation... the exhaust tips are supposed to be even length. It would look really weird otherwise. It makes more design-sense that the line from tip-to-tip be perpendicular to the orientation of the car... not adhering to any curve in the bumper.

I'm looking at the exhaust, imaging what it would look like if the outermost tip were recessed a half-inch, and it's just wrong.

That's my 2-cents.
And you are totally entitled to your opinion on this. It's why Baskin Robbins has so many flavors. You have to admit it's been a great conversation tonight though. Got you thinking about the 1st mod for the G37 and polishing the Cattman masterpiece. As for me, recording and trying to share the sound of a decent inexpensive exhaust system.
Old 10-04-2011 | 07:32 PM

One tip for those with stainless exhaust when it comes to cleaning. Use four ought (0000) steel wool. Spray on an all purpose cleaner, scrub, and rinse. It will get off all the crap that can stick to the steel. It makes polishing the stainless so much easier.
Old 10-04-2011 | 07:55 PM

VQ30DE-K / SRS Type-RE CatBack Exhaust Sound File

Another try at sharing the VQ30DE-K / SRS Type-RE CatBack Exhaust sound file. FYI; I positioned the digital recorder approx. 3' from the muffler tips at roughly a 45deg angle. It's not exactly perfect, but good enough to get an idea of the exhaust sound. If this works. See this post http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ml#post8249660

Last edited by BobPezz; 03-10-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-04-2011 | 08:08 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Another try at sharing the VQ30DE-K / SRS Type-RE CatBack Exhaust sound file. FYI; I positioned the digital recorder approx. 3' from the muffler tips at roughly a 45deg angle. It's not exactly perfect, but good enough to get an idea of the exhaust sound. If this works.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/947383577b41fd80/
It works! And...

I am really, really surprised at how throaty(more growl than I expected) that sounds. I am impressed.

Now, shut it down. Your neighbor called the cops.
Old 10-04-2011 | 08:22 PM

Another try at sharing the VQ30DE-K / SRS Type-RE CatBack Exhaust sound file. FYI; I positioned the digital recorder approx. 3' from the muffler tips at roughly a 45deg angle. It's not exactly perfect, but good enough to get an idea of the exhaust sound. If this works.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/947383577b41fd80/

I like it
Old 10-04-2011 | 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
It works! And...

I am really, really surprised at how throaty(more growl than I expected) that sounds. I am impressed.

Now, shut it down. Your neighbor called the cops.
It actually worked WOW! Thanks for the reply. The SRS is no joke, just not a popular brand like Greddy, HKS, Megan, Stillen, etc. I would've loved to get a Cattman 2 1/2", but they were out of stock, out of production, and being superseded by the 3" exhaust. That at the time was just starting production with no firm delivery date. I was nursing a muffler literally hinging to break off at the pipe and had to get a replacement fast. Ordered a Megan, Back ordered as well, got the SRS, glad I did. FYI; My neighbor loves the sound of my exhaust! And he's got a G20 with a Turbocharged SR20VE and 3" cat/resonator deleted exhaust! Not to mention the SRS is really pretty quiet, not as loud as the recording sounds. The mic was pretty close at 3' from the muffler, I can hear the fuel pump whirring while the car's idling when standing outside.

Last edited by BobPezz; 10-04-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-04-2011 | 08:43 PM

My neighbor loves the sound of my exhaust! And he's got a G20 with a Turbocharged SR20VE and 3" cat/resonator deleted exhaust!
A boosted SR20VE Neo? What does he have that engine in?
Old 10-04-2011 | 08:43 PM

I like it
Thanks! Maybe TunerMaxima3000 will re-think the G35 muffler idea when he hears the SRS.
Old 10-04-2011 | 09:38 PM

Ugh Tunermaxima3000 sold that 5.5, and the dumbshyt that bought it blew the engine up (apparently). He's now trying to take me to the cleaners, I even offered to pay the tow bill and give him his money back, and take the car back, he won't do it, he wants over $2000 more than he even paid for the car! Guess I'm going to court.

Worst part is the safety was done through my shop, and although it was legal, this guy is getting the ministry of transport involved, and he's already pretty well got me fired and my bosses job is in jeopardy as well.

Yippee!!! BTW I love where this thread is going. All this OCD tip talk is very intriguing, if I weren't so tired and down from reading litigation paperwork and brochures, I'd chime in a bit more.
Old 10-04-2011 | 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Ugh Tunermaxima3000 sold that 5.5, and the dumbshyt that bought it blew the engine up (apparently). He's now trying to take me to the cleaners, I even offered to pay the tow bill and give him his money back, and take the car back, he won't do it, he wants over $2000 more than he even paid for the car! Guess I'm going to court.

Worst part is the safety was done through my shop, and although it was legal, this guy is getting the ministry of transport involved, and he's already pretty well got me fired and my bosses job is in jeopardy as well.

Yippee!!! BTW I love where this thread is going. All this OCD tip talk is very intriguing, if I weren't so tired and down from reading litigation paperwork and brochures, I'd chime in a bit more.
That guy here in Florida wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell with a lawsuit like that. That sucks you gotta go through all of that B.S.
Old 10-04-2011 | 09:54 PM

He actually has a case over something like that? Maybe it's different in Canada but as TBehr said once you sign the title over everything that happens from then on is the new owner's problem. Sorry to hear you're in that predicament.
Old 10-04-2011 | 10:30 PM

Yup, these guys are right. Paperwork for transfer of ownership wraps it up, tell em to get fccked.
Old 10-04-2011 | 11:46 PM

I guess I will continue to go through the hassle of making a very clearly-worded bill of sale which states, "No warranty, implied or expressed. Vehicle is sold 'As-Is,'" with both parties' signatures, as I learned from my father...
Old 10-05-2011 | 04:02 AM

A boosted SR20VE Neo? What does he have that engine in?
A 94 Infiniti G20 with J spec bodywork, carbon fiber hood/trunk, BBS wheels, coilovers/slammed, just to describe the stuff you can see. And lots of other mods to make you drool. VERY clean car! In fact my neighbor is the guy that I blame for getting me started thinking about modding the Max.
Old 10-05-2011 | 04:11 AM

Oh man, that truly stinks! I HATE litigious people/lawyers! I WAS married to an attorney, and some of the stories I've heard would make a preacher swear. It's gotten so bad here in RI. there's now a frivolous lawsuit law that nails the prosecution's ***** to the wall if the suit is deemed unnecessary.
Old 10-05-2011 | 05:47 AM

Matt, I'm so sorry this is happening, but like these other guys, I don't understand how you are responsible. You said, "the safety was done through my shop" -- what does that mean?

And if you offered a full refund and towing, how in the world can he legally hold you liable for another $2000? Where does that rationale come from?

This is very confusing.
Old 10-05-2011 | 05:54 AM

Huh I dont know what kind of **** you guys got going up there in the north but why would you even offer his money back And why would your job be on the line if the safety was legal?

Maybe Im just confused but this doesnt really make sense to me
Old 10-05-2011 | 07:25 AM

A 94 Infiniti G20 with J spec bodywork, carbon fiber hood/trunk, BBS wheels, coilovers/slammed, just to describe the stuff you can see. And lots of other mods to make you drool. VERY clean car! In fact my neighbor is the guy that I blame for getting me started thinking about modding the Max.
Sounds like its a badazz car for sure
Old 10-05-2011 | 10:38 AM

To clarify, I work at the shop that did the safety. I didn't personally do the safety but I had a peer at my shop do it.

This is why my job is on the line, we do not do safeties for resale, we're a trucking company. We only do safeties on vehicles we own. The boss stretched the rules for me and went against company regulations or whatever.

I agree though, I do not believe this guy has a case, I've spoken to paralegals, the police, and the ministry, and they all agree the guy is nuts and that I shouldn't even converse with him. Then if he takes me to court he'd be lucky to even get a fraction of the money back, and would still have to return the car.

The problem is not the money or the car to me, that just is what it is I don't really care. The problem is I've put my fellow workers jobs and my own job in jeopardy because this guy is out of his damn mind and is coming at me and everyone involved with everything he has. To his credit, he's shaken the ground pretty hard. In the end, I doubt it will have much impact, but the damage at my work is pretty much done.

I've been off today and most of yesterday due to this to try and sort it out.

I am still tempted to offer him the $5000 back one more time, if he says no I'll just tell him to get fcked and see him in court, and I'll get another job.

Thanks for the support boys sorry to take this thread OT. BUT IF I get the car back I'll have a good 6 speed tranny, mint black interior, new top end parts, and that Greddy EVOII Catback, oh and the G35 18" rims with almost new tires. I need tires for my 19"s so maybe it wouldnt be too bad
Old 10-05-2011 | 10:45 AM

I am still tempted to offer him the $5000 back one more time
You offered him his money back already, and he said no, i'm gonna take you to court instead? WTF??? Don't offer him his money back again. Call him out and tell him you'll see him in court!
Old 10-05-2011 | 02:09 PM

^ being the nice guy who finishes last that I am, I'm going to make the offer. This time I will not offer any more than to reimburse the cost of the car, not a penny more. He will have to cover all costs at the shop its at, retract all investigations, etc, etc. I'm sure he won't go for it anyways. If not, I'm done with it and I'll hear from him if I hear from him. I've already got a job offer on the table without even trying, for more money, so screw it.

Also, I contacted those Ebay sellers for the SRS exhaust, bargained, and received the following prices:

Single tip muffler, Shipped to my door in Canada: $305
I told him I'd prefer the dual tip, we'll see what he comes back with.

Dual tip from "Catbackking", shipped with insurance: $438
I told him that's too much, thanks anyways.

Like I said if i get this car back I'll just steal the Greddy EVOII off it and mount the G35 muffler to it. Waiting to see. I told the guy I'd attempt one last phone call with him at 6pm.

Quick Reply: 2.5" or 3", Please step in