5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

guys help me out pleeeaassee

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 10:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

guys help me out pleeeaassee

i f*cken hate cops. Today i was going through a checkpoint, and i even turned on by dome light so my tints owuldnt be that obvious( I have 20% all around) legal is 35 in front. So anyway, the cop comes up to me with my dome light and tells me to pull ova to the side cuz my tints are too dark. so ok i pull ova. And another cop gives me a ticket for illegal tint. and also a drives license ticket because i didnt have one with me.

I tried to explain to the cop that my windows arent that dark at all, and its because it was a dark street. and he says to me. If it was me, i wouldnt give u this ticket, but now since u got pulled ova here by the other officer i have to. He didnt even use the machine or anything to check the percentage just gave the ticket to me. IS there any way that i can fight this off??? please help.
Old 12-28-2001, 10:03 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Yes, if it is legal tint, they should test it. "It looks too darK" wont hold up in court if you fight it. As far as driving without your license...that was your own stupid mistake.
Old 12-28-2001, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg
Yes, if it is legal tint, they should test it. "It looks too darK" wont hold up in court if you fight it. As far as driving without your license...that was your own stupid mistake.
legal is 35, i ahve 20. but the cop didnt test it when he gave me the ticket. ALso drivers license isnt a problem, i just make a copy of it and its dismissed...
Old 12-28-2001, 10:30 PM

I don't get why you're of the opinion you should get out of this... your tint is illegal, you got a ticket for illegal tint. You can go fight it in court and probably win, but you'll spend your time for a ticket that carries no points and can't be that much money. What if they say "ok, test it"? Then you're screwed anyway. Just pay the ticket.
Old 12-28-2001, 10:33 PM

if you want to fight for the ticket for ur tint, i would suggest you to get rid of your tint. Cuz if they do test, maybe u'll get in more trouble.
Old 12-28-2001, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by tapwr3000
if you want to fight for the ticket for ur tint, i would suggest you to get rid of your tint. Cuz if they do test, maybe u'll get in more trouble.
watever why would they waste their time and tell me to test it at their station. Plus i can say that he didnt use the machine wich he didnt. plus the street was very dark with hardly any light.. what do u think? the ticket has no price on it...
Old 12-28-2001, 11:09 PM

if you go to court and fight it, the judge can say that the tint on your car right then needs to be tested. If they do an accurate test then, and find that you lied you can be in deep ****. Now you could strip your tint and have it done legal and then fight the ticket, but hey that's more than the ticket will cost you.

Personally I say just pay it, and go on with your life. It would not be worth the trouble to fight it when the potential for more serious legal problems is there.

Yeah he was a a$$ and didn't test it, yeah the street was dark ... blah, blah, blah ... but you are illegal and got caught! Be a man and take your medicine and pay the ticket.
Old 12-28-2001, 11:11 PM

WHY??? b/c sometimes PO can really be biatch-azzes (but again, they r just tryin' to PROTECT US)
Old 12-28-2001, 11:21 PM

In PA...

The cops in PA are not allow to give you a ticket for tints at night. They will try and give you a ticket for something else. Did the checkpoint happen at night?

It makes sense, you really can't tell how dark tint is at night. I guess thats one great loop hole in PA.
Old 12-28-2001, 11:31 PM

EXACTLY!

I agree completely.

Suck it up, move on with life.

Originally posted by ispeed
if you go to court and fight it, the judge can say that the tint on your car right then needs to be tested. If they do an accurate test then, and find that you lied you can be in deep ****. Now you could strip your tint and have it done legal and then fight the ticket, but hey that's more than the ticket will cost you.

Personally I say just pay it, and go on with your life. It would not be worth the trouble to fight it when the potential for more serious legal problems is there.

Yeah he was a a$$ and didn't test it, yeah the street was dark ... blah, blah, blah ... but you are illegal and got caught! Be a man and take your medicine and pay the ticket.
Old 12-28-2001, 11:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: guys help me out pleeeaassee

Bro, I can understand you venting and being ****ed. There are a lot of laws out there that aren't fair.

Sounds like they got you on stuff that they can ticket you for. It sucks, there are bigger tickets they could have gotten besides you ( even the guy that ticketed you seems like he thought you shouldn't be cited ). But, sometimes that's life... it happens to most of us.

You took a chance and got caught; situation sucks, wish it didn't happen... sorry...
Old 12-28-2001, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by zgrm100
i f*cken hate cops. Today i was going through a checkpoint, and i even turned on by dome light so my tints owuldnt be that obvious( I have 20% all around) legal is 35 in front. So anyway, the cop comes up to me with my dome light and tells me to pull ova to the side cuz my tints are too dark. so ok i pull ova. And another cop gives me a ticket for illegal tint. and also a drives license ticket because i didnt have one with me.

I tried to explain to the cop that my windows arent that dark at all, and its because it was a dark street. and he says to me. If it was me, i wouldnt give u this ticket, but now since u got pulled ova here by the other officer i have to. He didnt even use the machine or anything to check the percentage just gave the ticket to me. IS there any way that i can fight this off??? please help.
but you already said that you are below the legal limit.(35% and yours is only 20%). how are you going to fight it? what if they do bring out the 'machine'(whatever that is) to measure the tint? then you are really screwed!! at least you are allowed to have 35% tint. in Cali, it's 0% tint for the front window..
Old 12-28-2001, 11:57 PM

Re: Re: guys help me out pleeeaassee

Originally posted by irvine78

the 'machine'(whatever that is)
Old 12-29-2001, 06:05 AM

Originally posted by irvine78

but you already said that you are below the legal limit.(35% and yours is only 20%). how are you going to fight it? what if they do bring out the 'machine'(whatever that is) to measure the tint? then you are really screwed!! at least you are allowed to have 35% tint. in Cali, it's 0% tint for the front window..
0% tint? That would basically mean a painted windshield. I hope you mean that, like here in Ontario, you can't have any film on the windshield.

The law in Ontario basically says that it is up to the officer's discretion as to whether or not it is too dark. There is no 'legal limit'. If the cop don't like it, you're done.

I got fined about 4 years ago for window tint on my truck. I told the justice of the peace that I bought the truck from a dealership that way and didn't know it was illegal. I also told her that I paid to get it removed once I got the fine. She asked me what it cost to remove and she deducted that from my fine. $120 fine became $20.

With my Max http://www3.sympatico.ca/akrusvar/2k2Max/2k2004.jpg I've got 35% all around, except the windshield of course. It's dark enough IMO.

My advice to you:
1) strip the tint off the car;
2) put a 'legal' tint on;
3) plead with the JP to lower the amount;
4) accept the fine regardless.

Albert
Old 12-29-2001, 10:47 AM

One other thing to check BEFORE you go to court. Is window tinting a first offense? In the state of Virginia, a cop CANNOT pull you over for illegal window tinting. They have to pull you over for something else. And even if they do pull you over for something else, they CANNOT issue you a ticket for window tinting WITHOUT issuing you a ticket for something else as well. I had this happen to me, and the PO lost in court. I cited that the law stated that window tinting was a SECOND OFFENSE, and because I was never given a FIRST OFFENSE ticket, the ticket could not legally be given to me. Now, since you got the "failure to show license" ticket, and you can get that thrown out, I am not sure about whether or not you can use this excuse to get out of the window tinting one. So here is my advice, either pay the ticket (cheap), or find a lawyer (cheap to expensive) to help you out, or try it for yourself (possibly spend the night with Bubba and his "friends" for lying in court). It's up to you.
Old 12-29-2001, 12:49 PM

all u need to do is go to your eve doctor and tell him the sunlight bothers your eyes and that you dont like to wear sunglasses he will then right you a prescription for the windows and you just carry the prescription with you in the car and the police cant touch you. and yes it does work
Old 12-29-2001, 02:07 PM

all u need to do is go to your eve doctor and tell him the sunlight bothers your eyes and that you dont like to wear sunglasses he will then right you a prescription for the windows and you just carry the prescription with you in the car and the police cant touch you. and yes it does work

ARE YOU FOREAL???? if it works, that would be cool.....than i don't have to worry about getting caught for my 20% tint all the time
Old 12-29-2001, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by tapwr3000

ARE YOU FOREAL???? if it works, that would be cool.....than i don't have to worry about getting caught for my 20% tint all the time
It might work. Not in CA though. They tell you to take the illegal tint off and get one of those slide up and down shades with the suction cups that grandma uses.
Old 12-29-2001, 02:39 PM
dko
duck and cover

Originally posted by NoHalo
Bro, I can understand you venting and being ****ed. There are a lot of laws out there that aren't fair.
i'm not gonna win any friends with this, but I think it is fair. if i were a cop i would be pretty nervous walking up to a limo-tinted car, god knows if the passanger doesn't have a glock. cops already have to deal with a lot of sh|t, you might as well make it easier on them.

on the flipside, i've heard that the optometrist note works, but i don't see why the judge wouldn't just say two magic words: "Wear Sunglasses."
Old 12-29-2001, 02:48 PM

Y DO HATE COPS SO BAD? THEY WERE JUST DOING THEIR JOB! IF YOU FIND THAT YOU HAVE TO PUT ON YOUR DOME LIGHT EVERY TIME YOU SEE A COP, TAKE THE TINT OFF! THE TINT LAW IS THERE FOR A REASON. A POLICE OFFIFER WAS KILLED IN THE 80'S WHEN HE PULLED OVER A CAR THAT HAD DARK TINT ON. HE COULD NOT SEE WHO/WHAT WAS IN THE CAR! SO IN THE PROCESS OF THE STOP,THE DUMB AZZ JERK SHOT AND KILLED THE OFFICER. THAT'S WHY THE LAW WAS MADE,AND THATS WHY YOU GOT A TICKET FOR IT. AS FAR AS NO DRIVER'S LICENSE ON YOU,THAT'S YOUR DUMB FAULT.STOP CRYING AND TAKE IT LIKE A MAN!
Old 12-29-2001, 03:16 PM

Y DO HATE COPS SO BAD? THEY WERE JUST DOING THEIR JOB! IF YOU FIND THAT YOU HAVE TO PUT ON YOUR DOME LIGHT EVERY TIME YOU SEE A COP, TAKE THE TINT OFF! THE TINT LAW IS THERE FOR A REASON. A POLICE OFFIFER WAS KILLED IN THE 80'S WHEN HE PULLED OVER A CAR THAT HAD DARK TINT ON. HE COULD NOT SEE WHO/WHAT WAS IN THE CAR! SO IN THE PROCESS OF THE STOP,THE DUMB AZZ JERK SHOT AND KILLED THE OFFICER. THAT'S WHY THE LAW WAS MADE,AND THATS WHY YOU GOT A TICKET FOR IT. AS FAR AS NO DRIVER'S LICENSE ON YOU,THAT'S YOUR DUMB FAULT.STOP CRYING AND TAKE IT LIKE A MAN!
W@rd
Old 12-29-2001, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by zgrm100

I think you should fight the ticket and lie in court about your tint level. And I hope the judge catches you and fines you double and I hope wherever you live it is a crime to lie to a judge and/or the police and they throw you in jail on the spot.

You're a baby. Quit your whining, pay your ticket, and if you keep the tinted windows then don't waste our time by posting about it again in the future when you get another ticket.

And because of this you hate cops? That would make about as much sense as me saying I hate people that say "ova" instead of "over" or "cuz" instead of "because". Do you hate your parents when they caught you stealing from the cookie jar and sent you to your room? I really don't hate you, but you definitely deserved a ticket with your attitude.

Tony
Old 12-29-2001, 07:51 PM

Dude is it really that big of a deal. Pay the ticket and go on with life. There or worse things in life than getting a ticket.
You even said your tint was illegal, so stop b!tching about it and pay the stupid ticket. The guy is just doing his job. Give him some credit for PROTECTING people.
Old 12-29-2001, 07:56 PM

(Although you might want to look into getting your "caps lock" key fixed.)

Originally posted by pcante1
Old 12-29-2001, 07:59 PM
Administrator

why are you guys arguing wit this kid? he is the same one said he would buy Stolen TL-S head lights.. can you understand why he would hate cops?
Old 12-29-2001, 07:59 PM
dko
duck and cover

Re: Re: Re: guys help me out pleeeaassee

Originally posted by clee130

(Although you might want to look into getting your "caps lock" key fixed.)

hmmm... i said pretty much the EXACT smae thing in the post right above his, yet i get no 'werd' or 'right-on' or anything. i guess being beige really does put me under the radar...
Old 12-29-2001, 08:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: guys help me out pleeeaassee

... the caps drew attention to him ... here you go:

Originally posted by dko
hmmm... i said pretty much the EXACT smae thing in the post right above his, yet i get no 'werd' or 'right-on' or anything. i guess being beige really does put me under the radar...
Old 12-29-2001, 08:08 PM
dko
duck and cover

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: guys help me out pleeeaassee

Originally posted by clee130
... the caps drew attention to him ... here you go:

shweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
Old 12-29-2001, 08:13 PM

what legal tint can i have on all windows (most on each) in california... obviously no tint on the front (damn it)
Old 12-29-2001, 08:50 PM

Well speaking of stupid loop-holes, a lot of states allow people to have tint on the back windows. This would mean that the guy in the back seat can shoot the cop with the glock instead of the guy riding shotgun (no pun intended). If the law is intended to allow cops to see inside the car, then why do they allow rear tint?
Old 12-29-2001, 09:53 PM

Re: Re: Re: guys help me out pleeeaassee

Originally posted by Burton069

Well speaking of stupid loop-holes, a lot of states allow people to have tint on the back windows. This would mean that the guy in the back seat can shoot the cop with the glock instead of the guy riding shotgun (no pun intended). If the law is intended to allow cops to see inside the car, then why do they allow rear tint?

The law is there to prevent you from backing into stuff at night...

It's happened... to people on this board... no names shall be mentioned...

-Tom Z.
Old 12-30-2001, 06:47 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
why are you guys arguing wit this kid? he is the same one said he would buy Stolen TL-S head lights.. can you understand why he would hate cops?
Really? I didn't know that. Thanks. That sheds some light on it.

Tony
Old 01-04-2002, 02:50 AM

r u guys sure that an optometrists note would work? What does the note have to say? Also where can i find out the laws if window tinting is a first or second offense?
Old 01-04-2002, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by Weasel
I don't get why you're of the opinion you should get out of this... your tint is illegal, you got a ticket for illegal tint. You can go fight it in court and probably win, but you'll spend your time for a ticket that carries no points and can't be that much money. What if they say "ok, test it"? Then you're screwed anyway. Just pay the ticket.
Just to disagree a little with Weasel, I got a ticket for illegal tint on my Max about a month ago.....$135 bucks flat out. It is expensive....

As far as fighting the ticket, you can take it to court and fight it but what if they walk outside and test it right then....your case is over then for sure. I agree with Weasel, pay and move on.