5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Nwp spacers + oem gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 07:34 PM

Nwp spacers + oem gaskets?

I'm seriously thinking about installing an oem gasket on either side of the spacer for the plenum. This will ease the future removal for plugs, coils, whatever. The oem gasket port holes are actually larger than the spacer port holes, so there will be no restriction.
I'll use silcone on the im as I don't forsee a need to remove it in the years left that I run this car.
Any thoughts on why I shouldn't?
Old 09-04-2011, 07:48 PM

I don't see how it's going to help removal/install? But additional gaskets without equal port sizes can cause unwanted turbulence in the intake flow, think- air flowing over your sunroof, now crack the sunroof just a bit, think of how much that messes up the smooth air flow over the sunroof.

In real-world DD application, you'll never notice it though, so if it's going to help you somehow I say go for it.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:55 PM

Help removal/install by not having to deal with silicone adhearing the spacers to the uim. I would think it would be a pain as far as lifting off the mani and cleaning off the old silicone.
The port holes are very close in size, so I don't think turbulance will be an issue.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:21 PM

I used 2 oem gaskets as well and it works just fine. I'm sure it doesn't cool down the intake as good as it should but you can still notice the gains. Definitely a good idea if you plan on removing the uim again.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by spock
Help removal/install by not having to deal with silicone adhearing the spacers to the uim. I would think it would be a pain as far as lifting off the mani and cleaning off the old silicone.
The port holes are very close in size, so I don't think turbulance will be an issue.
Ah I see, forgive my lack of knowledge on the spacers. They're run with the OEM gasket on the LIM side, and then you just silicone the UIM side?

Seems to me that you could just reverse the two and save the additional gasket if you really wanted, but no harm either way I suppose.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Toolie

From the horse's mouth....

Ray,

Yes, two OEM gaskets will work on the TB, Elbow, and Upper Intake Manifold
(UIM) Spacer. But I have not tested this on the two lower spacers.

The best way to apply the RTV to prevent it from squeezing out is to only
apply a paper thin coating around each intake port. When you torque
everything down, you should not see any RTV squeeze out.

But, with the OEM gaskets sandwiched around each Spacer, you will not have
the best airflow. What I have done in the past on my race engine is apply
RTV to the bottom of the UIM Spacer and stick it to the LIM itself. Then, I
used 1 OEM gasket on top of the UIM Spacer and installed the upper manifold.
This way, I was able to remove the UIM easily at the race track and check my
spark plugs if needed.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

Aaron Kimball
NWP Engineering, Inc.
www.NWPEngineering.com
252-747-7672
Old 09-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Toolie

Personally I don't see how using OEM gaskets will restrict airflow. I have removed my upper manifold so many times and I am personally tired of removing RTV sealant. There is only one product I have found that partially works and it is very caustic and causes skin to burn... I am going to try to use pairs of OEM gaskets to test this out.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:02 AM

Using silicone on the im side of the plenum spacer sounds like the best route for me. Thanks Ray.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:07 AM

Got the spacers installed and all is well. I used an oem gasket on the top side of the uim spacer only. Everything else is siliconed. This will allow much easier removal/installation of the uim in the future if required. I also changed the left valve cover with a 6th gen one. It took longer than I thought, but I took my time and I was a little hung over.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:47 AM

Got the spacers installed and all is well. I used an oem gasket on the top side of the uim spacer only. Everything else is siliconed. This will allow much easier removal/installation of the uim in the future if required. I also changed the left valve cover with a 6th gen one. It took longer than I thought, but I took my time and I was a little hung over.
Just in time for tomorrow's drive to the shop for that y-pipe. It's a shame you won't have any real time between the two mods to assess the spacers.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:26 PM

I actually had to postpone the ypipe install until next week. So, that will give me a little time to run with just the spacers. I put about 30 miles on today but haven't beat on it yet, (had the wife with me and she's very emotionally upset right now due to a tragedy @ her work). I'm happy to say that I can't detect any whistling noise that I've read about.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

no whistling sound?..pity :)

..I was considering the mod for that very reason..and yes, I'm kidding .
A question for you though, my fellow canucks. I thought one of the added benefits of the NWP spacers was the fact they eliminated the need (and cost) of the OEM gaskets, is that not correct?
Old 09-06-2011, 02:13 PM

Yes, that is correct. The only reason that I used a single oem gasket was so that I wouldn't have to fight the silicone if I have to remove the uim in the future.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:46 PM

I'm happy to say that I can't detect any whistling noise that I've read about.
Same here, spock. I don't know what all these comments are about whistling phenolic spacers, but I don't have it AFAIK. And that's a good thing.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by StevieB
..I was considering the mod for that very reason..and yes, I'm kidding .
A question for you though, my fellow canucks. I thought one of the added benefits of the NWP spacers was the fact they eliminated the need (and cost) of the OEM gaskets, is that not correct?
90% of gaskets can be replaced with silicone if you really want to go that route. The spacers have nothing to do with it.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:14 PM

I think you may be missing the point a little, here. The spacers are a definite improvement over stock gaskets or silicone alone. They tremendously reduce the temp of the uim after operating temp. is reached, sitting, idling or off.
There's also that thing about increased mani runner length.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:05 PM
^ Jeff™

...good idea. I'm about to 're'-install some spacers/UIM on my new '03. I'll go the route of using the intake side gasket for future removals.
(spark plug changes & possible KS replacement)
Old 09-06-2011, 07:21 PM

I think you may be missing the point a little, here. The spacers are a definite improvement over stock gaskets or silicone alone. They tremendously reduce the temp of the uim after operating temp. is reached, sitting, idling or off.
There's also that thing about increased mani runner length.
If you're referring to me, I didn't miss that at all. Ideally, running the OE gasket on either side of the spacer would be the best way to go for thermal reasons, and for increased runner length purposes as well, but the downside is additional friction in the intake flow, and of course, cost.

Personally I like to run OE gaskets with a thin bead of RTV sealant around the sealing points on my mating surfaces.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Toolie

I have removed my upper manifold 3 times since the spacer install and I absolutely hate removing the RTV sealant that is still stuck to the phenolic. It is a major PITA. Even with silicone gasket remover made by the manufacturer that I got the RTV sealant from, it still doesn't come all the way off. You still have to scrape and reapply the remover a few times. This is why I emailed Aaron to see if it would be possible to sandwich all the phenolic with OEM gaskets. I already have one set kicking around so I just need another and I will try it out. If I'm not happy I will cement the lower to the block again with the rtv and do what Spock did to have better access to the rear plugs and injectors.

As to the whistle. You only get the whistle at a certain throttle position. It happens during acceleration at about 30-40% throttle. If you have a cone filter and you get it just right it will sound like a small turbo spooling up.