5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Wheel Skins - Options and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 08:30 AM

Wheel Skins - Options and Questions

So I'm looking at wheel skin threads on google and on the org and they seem like a good way to fix worn steering wheels.

So far, I found this website to have pretty good pricing:
www.dccarcare.com

I've also found something called the "Superior Superskins" on Amazon, which are sold at about half the price of a "Wheelskins" wheel skin, but people seem to complain about how the holes aren't large enough, making installation a pain and taking way more than 2 hours to complete.

So onto the questions:

1) Has anyone used wheel skins WITH the Heated Steering? If so, please comment on how it has been affected and whether or not it is still working well through the extra layer of leather.

2) Is it safe to say that this is considerably thinner than having one of those walmart steering wheel covers? How much thicker has it made the steering wheel?

3) Has anyone tried Superskins, or have any experience to compare wheelskins and superskins?
Old 09-27-2011, 08:57 AM

Had a wheelskin on my previous car....loved it. Take your time on installation, remember its right in front of you, and if you make it look like cr@p, you're looking at it every second you're driving.
I took mine off the car and did it at the kitchen table.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
Had a wheelskin on my previous car....loved it. Take your time on installation, remember its right in front of you, and if you make it look like cr@p, you're looking at it every second you're driving.
I took mine off the car and did it at the kitchen table.
Sound's good. Did you have a heated steering wheel? Did it make it feel alot thicker, or did it still feel close to normal? I'm hoping for a very small change in thickness.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by OnOiShNo0dl3Z
Sound's good. Did you have a heated steering wheel? Did it make it feel alot thicker, or did it still feel close to normal? I'm hoping for a very small change in thickness.
No heat, a bit thicker, obviously, but grippier. Felt GREAT in your hand.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:19 AM

Nice, I really think I should order one. The top of my steering wheel's all torn up and I can easily see and touch the wire from the heated steering.

I just want to make sure that I can still feel the heat nicely through the leather, but it seems to be unanimous that it looks great.

Was yours size 'C' by the way? Don't know if you'd happen to remember.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by OnOiShNo0dl3Z
Nice, I really think I should order one. The top of my steering wheel's all torn up and I can easily see and touch the wire from the heated steering.

I just want to make sure that I can still feel the heat nicely through the leather, but it seems to be unanimous that it looks great.

Was yours size 'C' by the way? Don't know if you'd happen to remember.
On my Honda? No idea.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I put one on my 02 earlier this year. It adds a little thickness but not too much. You will want to touch up and smooth the damaged area before putting the wheelskin on. The installation will take a while so give yourself a few hours if you choose to do it. I went with the plain black one and I wish I had gotten the europerf on the sides to match the actual steering wheel. It still looks OK but it could look better. I used some zip ties around the wheel as I was installing it in order to keep things tight as I worked around the wheel. Gloves are a MUST for pulling the thread tight. I started without them and still got a hell of a blister.

I have noticed that the spots where my hands usually are have gotten slightly dull. The leather does not appear to be as resistant to whatever you might get on your hands as the factory wheel is. It says on the directions that certain chemicals might damage the finish of the leather. It's still better than before I put it on though.

Last edited by jruss21; 10-10-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the reply. I've already installed it this weekend and yea, i use some cloth and duct tape to try to smooth it out. slightly noticeable still but better than leaving the tear alone.

Did the baseball stitch and it took easily 4 hours. Didn't use gloves though, didn't seem to hurt that bad.

I have the original black as well and i suppose the europerf would work well with the spokes, but I actually really like how mine turned out.

As you mentioned, it does add a bit of thickness but nowhere near as much as the regular pepboys or walmart wheel covers.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm glad I'm not the only one that took 4 hours installing it.

I was thinking about trying some kind of protectant but I haven't had time to look into it
Old 10-10-2011, 11:25 AM

Personally, I won't be installing these skins because my steering wheel leather is just as good as the day I drove the car home 9 years ago, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious what these things look like.

There are at least two of you here in this thread who are proud of this mod... so get out there and take some pictures already!
Old 10-10-2011, 12:17 PM

If mine didn't have a giant wire exposing tear on the top from the previous owner, I probably wouldn't have installed one either.

Others have installed them on here with pics before and I remember seeing pics from pulling up a thread.

I don't really have a camera but if I can get a hold of one i can get some pics up.

Here's some pics I was able to dig up from another 5.5 gen owner:

Before:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f35/RIPGreenSHO/WheelSkins%20Steering%20Wheel%20Cover/before1.jpg

After:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3...ver/after2.jpg
He seem's to have gotten a two tone europerf.

The original single tone only has one seam at the bottom instead of 4.

Last edited by OnOiShNo0dl3Z; 10-12-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well my wheel was doing pretty good but it was starting to flake off at the top of the wheel where my hand is a lot of the time. It wasn't gouged or anything. It was annoying me so I put the wheelskin on.

I'll see about pics. I don't have much free time and I've got a ton of stuff to do.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

heated steering wheel, here

hey man, see you ended up getting the cover. i was eyeing wheel skins as a cover for my 03 E39, but i’m also worried about getting the cover and the heated steering wheel is barely felt or damages the cover. id appreciate your feedback and experience with your cover
Old 10-15-2021, 03:43 PM

your question is 10 years later. i have a heated wheel too and thought about covers, but I just used some black tape it looks good and is minimal.