5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

EXHAUST SYSTEM

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by kbcnd
Not trying to thread jack here, my question goes along with the OP's.

I'm in the market for a new exhaust set; there is current 133xxx miles on the OEM one and I think it's time for a change. I planned on keeping stock headers, but if I need to/should change them, I will, budget permitting. I want something that has a nice deep tone to it at idle but it not overwhelming when cruising. I've done searching and looking around and I can't seem to find everything that I need in one place.

Basically, what I am in need of, is exactly what parts would I need to buy and from what manufacturer in order to accomplish my goal. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
See my post. In that recording the mic was only 3' from the muffler.
My exhaust is quite quiet as this in car recording shows. Listen carefully, you can hear the turn signal clicking.

For more information see this thread.
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ml#post8249660
Originally Posted by evoTimer
this may help: Mandrel Exhaust Systems <click there

Flowmaster and Flowtech make beautiful sound, but they will destroy your performance since they have more backup pressure than OEM mufflers
Don't know about mine, but I could see the inlet through the muffler tips and right through the resonator.

Last edited by BobPezz; 03-10-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:00 AM

Would this setup be worth the money / install effort? Also, does anyone have this setup and if so did you notice any lower end power gains and does it have a nice tone? (don't want a fart can or rasp).

Finally, would this be a simple bolt on application or would I have to do modifications?

Sorry, not too mechanically inclined. Thanks y'all!
Old 10-09-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by kbcnd
Would this setup be worth the money / install effort? Also, does anyone have this setup and if so did you notice any lower end power gains and does it have a nice tone? (don't want a fart can or rasp).

Finally, would this be a simple bolt on application or would I have to do modifications?

Sorry, not too mechanically inclined. Thanks y'all!
For more information see my posts in this thread.
I'm not going to re-post everything about my exhaust here.

Last edited by BobPezz; 03-10-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:48 AM

Would it be better to get a 3" or 2.5" exhaust if I still have stock headers and y pipe? The difference in price at a shop is not much so I just wondering if there will be any gains between the two?

Might get a y pipe down the road if that matters.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by 02AutoMax
Would it be better to get a 3" or 2.5" exhaust if I still have stock headers and y pipe? The difference in price at a shop is not much so I just wondering if there will be any gains between the two?

For more information see this thread.
I'm not going to re-post everything about exhaust here.

Last edited by BobPezz; 03-10-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:49 PM

Cost difference between 2.5" and 3" is usually pretty substantial. Especially if it's mandrel bent. There are many reasons for this, so I'm wondering how you're getting away with little cost difference at a shop?
Old 10-15-2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Cost difference between 2.5" and 3" is usually pretty substantial. Especially if it's mandrel bent. There are many reasons for this, so I'm wondering how you're getting away with little cost difference at a shop?
Sadly none of the shops can do mandrel bends or want to mess with piecing together mandrel bends so only option is crush bent which i know is not the best which is why the cost difference is little.

Im not looking to get every hp out of the car so would a 3" crush bent work?
Old 10-15-2011, 09:24 AM

yes it will work but I'd have to let someone else comment on the sound it will make. The 3" systems are normally quite a bit louder.

As long as you put a decent resonator and keep your stock cat it should be ok I would think.....
Old 10-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Banned

Tuner what type of resonator do you suggest for the most quiet operation.right now i have a megan catback and the darn thing is just too noisy and after i drop this new engine in i want to keep it quiet.i know if i dropped my cattman in it would be a little better noise wise but im saving it for a 6mt if i find a nice one.but anyway i have 3 of the megan systems to hack up if i need to im even considering getting one of those mufflers off a X5 its got that valve like the nissan oe but its a stainless steel unit with a 2.5 inlet.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:42 AM

Another Successful Install/Satisfied SRS Exhaust Customer!

Though this is slightly off topic. I mentioned the SRS exhaust in the http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ml#post8249660 thread. After seeing/hearing my Maxima SRS CatBack. My brother bought the ($200 inc./shipping) SRS CatBack for his daughter's Accord and we installed it today. To be brief, the biggest PITA was getting the stock exhaust off the hangers, SRS fitment/install was excellent, and the entire job including setup/cleanup took under 2hrs. on ramps. The sound (with the included silencer) is probably as pleasant as you'll ever hear on a Honda with a "Potato Launcher" muffler. It's quiet inside/outside the car with No Farting, Rasp, etc. And you can't hear the car driving away after about 20'.

Last edited by BobPezz; 03-10-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
yes it will work but I'd have to let someone else comment on the sound it will make. The 3" systems are normally quite a bit louder.

As long as you put a decent resonator and keep your stock cat it should be ok I would think.....

Yeah I'm not to worried about sound. I have friends that have had cars with little to no muffler and it was loud but by no means to loud to drive daily.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:06 PM

Sadly none of the shops can do mandrel bends or want to mess with piecing together mandrel bends so only option is crush bent which i know is not the best which is why the cost difference is little.

Im not looking to get every hp out of the car so would a 3" crush bent work?
Don't think it'd be worth crush-bending a 3in (or any size for that matter; just my .02). I always thought mandrel bends were better for flow, unless you don't care and just want some piping.

Last edited by Nexus67; 10-15-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:53 PM

It's a tough call, I say if you can get Mandrel bent 2.25" or 2.5" that would be much better than crush bent 3" for a cat back system. Although that could easily be argued.

Basically, cost is what it comes down to, if you're getting this done and installed for less than $150, and you only want it fixed, get the 3" crush.
If you want to free up some ponies and get a decent SS system on the cheap, that SRS seems like a half-way good product, certainly should be better than a crush bent slapped together muffler shop job. And you can pick that SRS system up shipped in the states for about $250, kind of a no-brainer if you want something cheap.

Anything with a 22" resonator or something close to that will cut out the raspyness that we all hate so much. And the noise and tone is then set by the muffler, so you have to make that call on your own. There's lots of threads on 'which muffler', although the search is on the fritz.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:23 PM

Yeah I'm having a hard time choosing which route to go because my stock exhaust is rusted on to tight for me to get it off(already tried and rounded off the nuts) so if I get a catback a shop will have to install it and then that will cost more then having a shop make up a 3" crush-bent exhaust.

I'm wondering if even though it might be crush-bent would be better then a 2.36" mandrel bent exhaust like the SRS.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:41 PM

Worth a look if it hasn't been posted already (they need to fix their website though, that 00-04 doesn't look right, for obvious reasons)

http://forums.nicoclub.com/3-perform...y-t530687.html

Last edited by Nexus67; 10-15-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:02 PM

Yeah I'm having a hard time choosing which route to go because my stock exhaust is rusted on to tight for me to get it off(already tried and rounded off the nuts) so if I get a catback a shop will have to install it and then that will cost more then having a shop make up a 3" crush-bent exhaust.

I'm wondering if even though it might be crush-bent would be better then a 2.36" mandrel bent exhaust like the SRS.
Where do you get the 2.36"? I think that SRS is 2.5", just the metric equivalent, so not presisely 2.5" but close.

And I would just cut the bolts from the cat and remove the rest, replace it with the SRS system by yourself and pocket the extra money. The only hard part is getting the car up high enough to fit the b-pipe over the axel.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

when I posted that both "Flowmaster" and "Flowtech" have high backup press; it's because they usually are constructed w/ restriction walls/tunnels (chambered) or if it's a see through it has a louvered core.. very bad for performance
"Cherry Bomb Glass Pack Muffler" are a great example for Louvered Core

when it's a see through muffler / resonator, you got make sure it's a DRILLED CORE not Louvered Core

Last edited by evoTimer; 11-03-2011 at 03:38 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by BobPezz
Not always true. http://www.zshare.net/audio/94751406a92f8016/ Caveat Emptor!

Doesn't sound bad, what exhaust is that again?
Old 11-09-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sick310
SRS Type-RE
Old 11-09-2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by maximalxl
here is how my car sounds....i went to my friends muffler shop and installed SpeedRex (it was done about 4 yrs ago and love it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ06-9YKEHM
Never heard of that brand of muffler. It sounds good.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:31 PM

Yeah i just bought the srs exhaust. Hopefully its a straight through muffler like the company said because i would hate to have to cut the muffler off.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:51 PM

Yeah i just bought the srs exhaust. Hopefully its a straight through muffler like the company said because i would hate to have to cut the muffler off.
I'm surprised, you sounded a little apprehensive about going with the SRS. I think you'll be satisfied, it's a good exhaust for the price. I don't think you'll cut off the muffler when you hear it! BTW; If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay?
Old 11-10-2011, 06:32 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

I'm surprised, you sounded a little apprehensive about going with the SRS. I think you'll be satisfied, it's a good exhaust for the price. I don't think you'll cut off the muffler when you hear it! BTW; If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay?
I completely agree! If you want it to be louder, you won't install an exhaust. I'm already thinking of adding a longer resonator. No rasp, but the drone cannot be described as slight. Thanks for the sound clips and reviews, Bob.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:18 PM

Yeah i meant cut it off and put on a different mufflerr. Drone is my worst fear. I have a mustang and the drone becomes annoying on long trips. I think i got a good deal. Only paid $290. How will the exhaust note change if a Y pipe is added assuming i keep stock cat
Old 11-11-2011, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by nelledge
I completely agree! If you want it to be louder, you won't install an exhaust. I'm already thinking of adding a longer resonator. No rasp, but the drone cannot be described as slight. Thanks for the sound clips and reviews, Bob.
How about, the drone is no worse than other catbacks. At least the tone isn't annoying, and with the radio on at moderate volume it's practically inaudible. Which IMO is pretty impressive for a 16" glass-pack resonator. Just an observation, drone seems to be an issue with mandrel bent Stainless systems in general. It may be due to the sonic differences of mandrel bent Stainless vs. crush bent Mild Steel. Stainless resonates differently than Mild Steel. And the restrictive crush bends may act like baffles in a muffler, restriction=quiet.

Last edited by BobPezz; 11-11-2011 at 04:36 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:07 AM

Yeah i meant cut it off and put on a different mufflerr. Drone is my worst fear. I have a mustang and the drone becomes annoying on long trips. I think i got a good deal. Only paid $290. How will the exhaust note change if a Y pipe is added assuming i keep stock cat
Good price! I have no idea how a Y-Pipe or Gutted Pre-Cats/Headers will change the sound. But I'll let you know when I get the Cattman Headers/Y-Pipe/FastCat installed. That said, I've got a 22"x4"dia Magnaflow BNIB, just in case the tone/volume gets obnoxious.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:34 AM

Sorry for the hijack and A little off topic, but can some one suggest me a good quiet 3" inlet, dual tip muffler.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:13 AM

Good price! I have no idea how a Y-Pipe or Gutted Pre-Cats/Headers will change the sound. But I'll let you know when I get the Cattman Headers/Y-Pipe/FastCat installed. That said, I've got a 22"x4"dia Magnaflow BNIB, just in case the tone/volume gets obnoxious.

Are you planning on getting a piggyback to tune or just going to assume it will be running fine? I plan on gutting the pre-cats and then getting a y pipe just because headers are a pain to put on and there are very few shops that will actually install headers without charging an arm and a leg.

I think your car will sound a little different due to having the 3.0L but should give me a good idea. When are you getting the Cattman headers?
Old 11-11-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by dnice02
Sorry for the hijack and A little off topic, but can some one suggest me a good quiet 3" inlet, dual tip muffler.

I bought a 18" magnaflow 5x8 and had plans to install that and it was good size, but magnaflows mufflers are measure in I.D. and NOT O.D. so their 3" muffler is really 3.25 or something close to that. I am not sure if this would be loud but it was good size and straight through design. I think vibrate and some other smaller companies also make mufflers that may be a little more quiet. As long as you plan on getting a good resonator any muffler should work and keep it somewhat quiet. Otherwise get Cattman
Old 11-11-2011, 10:50 AM

I plan on using a magnaflow resonator. Are all magnaflow mufflers straight through design?
Old 11-11-2011, 12:52 PM

Yes they are. But good luck finding tips for the muffler. I used magnaflow tips that said 2.25" I.D. and they did not fit over the muffler so make sure you get the right tips so it will slip over the muffler. Are you having the exhaust custom made or did you buy the BRM piping?
Old 11-11-2011, 08:05 PM

Yes they are. But good luck finding tips for the muffler. I used magnaflow tips that said 2.25" I.D. and they did not fit over the muffler so make sure you get the right tips so it will slip over the muffler. Are you having the exhaust custom made or did you buy the BRM piping?
Going with a custom crush bent system
Old 11-11-2011, 08:15 PM

Are you planning on getting a piggyback to tune or just going to assume it will be running fine? I plan on gutting the pre-cats and then getting a y pipe just because headers are a pain to put on and there are very few shops that will actually install headers without charging an arm and a leg.

I think your car will sound a little different due to having the 3.0L but should give me a good idea. When are you getting the Cattman headers?
They're sitting in the box in the garage. As far as a tune I don't assume it'll run fine, though I haven't read much about needing one after installing them. Since I'm going with (the Cattman recommended) method of running the secondary O2 sensors after the Main Cat vs. a Sim. The ECU will have 4 channels of actual exhaust info to help compensate for the headers. The guy who's going to do the job was an Infiniti master tech for many years at Inskip. He got tired of working for Penske, freelances his own work and rents space at an exhaust shop. Definitely knows his stuff and he's friends with my neighbor(the G20 guy). My neighbor works for the Subaru division of a multi-brand dealership that also sells Nissan, so I might be able to get a Consult II session if necessary.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:09 PM

Going with a custom crush bent system
Hopefully you go to a shop that will actually believe 3" tubing will fit over the rear axle/suspension. Shops around here didn't want to bother because they thought it would not fit without banging around . I was not thrilled when I heard that.

So i settled on the srs exhaust which should be here around thanksgivings.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:20 PM

Hopefully you go to a shop that will actually believe 3" tubing will fit over the rear axle/suspension. Shops around here didn't want to bother because they thought it would not fit without banging around . I was not thrilled when I heard that.

From what I have read in the past, the 3" is a tight fit. Some have used washers to ship up exhaust hangers to keep it from banging.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:49 AM

I was looking at the SRS system, but since i have a 3.5 i prefer a 3'' exhaust for more power. Hopefully i can convince them that 3'' piping will fit.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:34 AM

I was looking at the SRS system, but since i have a 3.5 i prefer a 3'' exhaust for more power. Hopefully i can convince them that 3'' piping will fit.
Yeah thats why I wanted the bigger exhaust. I would take your car to a shop before you buy anything and make sure they will install a 3". If you live in a big city odds are you will find somewhere to install it. Good luck! Post videos when you are done.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:16 AM

Yeah thats why I wanted the bigger exhaust. I would take your car to a shop before you buy anything and make sure they will install a 3". If you live in a big city odds are you will find somewhere to install it. Good luck! Post videos when you are done.

SRS by Christmas.....well u make sure and do the same.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sick310
Originally Posted by nelledge
Originally Posted by 7speed
SRS by Christmas.....well u make sure and do the same.
Do I see a trend here?
Old 11-12-2011, 12:46 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Do I see a trend here?
All thanks to your sound clips and my crocodile arms.

Quick Reply: EXHAUST SYSTEM