5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

EXHAUST SYSTEM

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
All thanks to your sound clips and my crocodile arms.
HA...Ha...ha! Crocodile arms!!! I'd call it a good buying decision. <IMHO> For the price SRS is probably one of the best exhaust buys available. SRS beats it's closest competition (Megan) on all the most important factors. Availability, price, fitment, and sound. Quality wise it's probably better than the other E-Bay offerings. How can you go wrong? Granted, if you're looking for "Moar Power" it's a no brainer and Cattman's the best way to go! So how do you like yours? I'm really starting to love the sound now that it's getting broken in.

Last edited by BobPezz; 11-12-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:10 PM

Yeah i wanted to get 3" exhaust but the srs looks like a great value and should net a few ponies. Ill be installing it next saturday and then post some videos.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:53 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by BobPezz
HA...Ha...ha! Crocodile arms!!! I'd call it a good buying decision. <IMHO> For the price SRS is probably one of the best exhaust buys available. SRS beats it's closest competition (Megan) on all the most important factors. Availability, price, fitment, and sound. Quality wise it's probably better than the other E-Bay offerings. How can you go wrong? Granted, if you're looking for "Moar Power" it's a no brainer and Cattman's the best way to go! So how do you like yours? I'm really starting to love the sound now that it's getting broken in.
I completely agree with each of your assessments. I love the sound. Went to a huge car meet, today. I heard a few 350Zs and G35s with aftermarket exhaust(strangely, only a couple Maximas). I gotta say, I think my exhaust sounded better than the majority of them. It's a subjective thing, but I think the only way to get a better sound would be to have the money to buy the Cattman. Now, I just need to replace my tired hangers so that I stop getting that periodic clang.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:08 AM
Banned

You could alway shop on flea-bay for some 2.5 cat-backs at a fair price.. megan is a good chose, I happen to really like the look of the SRS. Or you could go the route i did and go to your local exhast shop and have them make custom make you one with your pick of muffler from them or ebay..... and if you have money to give away you could give cat-man a call
Old 11-15-2011, 02:03 PM

I completely agree with each of your assessments. I love the sound. Went to a huge car meet, today. I heard a few 350Zs and G35s with aftermarket exhaust(strangely, only a couple Maximas). I gotta say, I think my exhaust sounded better than the majority of them. It's a subjective thing, but I think the only way to get a better sound would be to have the money to buy the Cattman. Now, I just need to replace my tired hangers so that I stop getting that periodic clang.
Easy fix! Just go to your local auto parts store and get a set of shock bushings(approx $5.00). To space the hangers away from the underbody. CMax came up with the idea and it works like a champ. (See my pictures.)
Old 11-15-2011, 03:14 PM

cattman exhaust... /thread and i dont care what u call noise
Old 11-16-2011, 11:04 AM

Just received the srs exhaust and it sure is nice for the money. Welds are all perfect and it is definitely either 409 or 304 stainless. Bob did you hear it sounds like a metal ball rolling around in the muffler? I picked it up and it moves depending on which way i turn the muffler. Not sure if something is broken inside or what.

Now the fun part of installing it on jack stands...
Old 11-16-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
AGREED, if your cash let's you but the SR-S is not a bad price....
Old 11-16-2011, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by 02AutoMax
Just received the srs exhaust and it sure is nice for the money. Welds are all perfect and it is definitely either 409 or 304 stainless. Bob did you hear it sounds like a metal ball rolling around in the muffler? I picked it up and it moves depending on which way i turn the muffler. Not sure if something is broken inside or what.

Now the fun part of installing it on jack stands...
It's 100% 304 including the flanges. I don't remember if there was any rolling around noise in my muffler. Might be weld slag, maybe you can shake it around and whatever it is will fall out. Just get the car up REAL high on the right rear side, swear a lot, and the muffler flange will go through. That's the hardest part I had with the install. I suggest stopping at your local auto parts store and getting some shock bushings (~$5.00) to shim the hangers (see my pictures).
Old 11-16-2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
AGREED, if your cash let's you but the SR-S is not a bad price....
It's probably the best choice for the price. Especially if you want a quiet exhaust, without any rasp or a fartcan "potato launcher" muffler.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:59 PM

this
Old 11-16-2011, 07:32 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by 95VQ30
No, no. This. They will negotiate(Thanks, Bob!) to a much lower price and they ship wicked fast!
Old 11-16-2011, 07:38 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
3"? I'll give that to you. 2.5"? Well, SRS is very well made considering the short money. Mo's 4th gen has a Cattman 2.5. Ask him if it sounds $600 better than mine. As mentioned previously: You've got the coin? Cattman. You're looking for a performance exhaust to replace the stock and you want the best sound and quality you can afford on a budget? SRS. Or custom if you can find a shop in your area that's extremely cheap.

Now....

/thread
Old 11-16-2011, 08:56 PM

No, no. This. They will negotiate(Thanks, Bob!) to a much lower price and they ship wicked fast!

Yep I also ordered from them, great price and definitely arrived quickly.

Installing it tomorrow and will post videos. (Decided to just have a shop install since I am an impatient person)
Old 11-17-2011, 04:10 AM

3"? I'll give that to you. 2.5"? Well, SRS is very well made considering the short money. Mo's 4th gen has a Cattman 2.5. Ask him if it sounds $600 better than mine. As mentioned previously: You've got the coin? Cattman. You're looking for a performance exhaust to replace the stock and you want the best sound and quality you can afford on a budget? SRS. Or custom if you can find a shop in your area that's extremely cheap.

Now....

/thread
Most shops can't do mandrel bends, but will piece together mandrel bent sections. It's >crush bent pipe but <mandrel bent pipe, the sectioned pipe could inhibit flow. You may not get the nice welds and stainless flanges on the SRS, not to mention the sweet sound!
Old 11-17-2011, 01:05 PM

Well I got the exhaust installed this morning and have only gone about 20 miles. It sounds good! Under 2k can't even notice it but the "drone" zone 2k to 3k you can sure hear it. I'll try and get a video tonight with a better camera but so far I am liking the sound.

Great find BobPezz
Old 11-17-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by 02AutoMax
Well I got the exhaust installed this morning and have only gone about 20 miles. It sounds good! Under 2k can't even notice it but the "drone" zone 2k to 3k you can sure hear it. I'll try and get a video tonight with a better camera but so far I am liking the sound.

Great find BobPezz
Glad you like it! It'll get quieter and sound even better when it breaks in and gets some carbon inside. At least the "drone" sound is pleasing, sometimes I find myself turning off the stereo just to hear the exhaust. Did you find out what the rattle inside the muffler was? BTW; What do you guys think of the offset tips? Not so bad after all! (Just for You "Roch")
Old 11-17-2011, 08:44 PM
J. Ortega

So what price will they come down to? I am planning on buying an SR*S exhaust to put around the holidays. I see that they want 329 + shipping. Do you think that they will take around $250?
Old 11-18-2011, 04:33 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by jortega999
So what price will they come down to? I am planning on buying an SR*S exhaust to put around the holidays. I see that they want 329 + shipping. Do you think that they will take around $250?
They have previously sold it for 300 shipped. I think that's more than reasonable for the product. There's a chance you could get the price down further, but I seriously doubt it. Go into it with the perspective that it's 250 for the exhaust and 50 for the shipping and you probably won't be disappointed.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:46 AM

They have previously sold it for 300 shipped. I think that's more than reasonable for the product. There's a chance you could get the price down further, but I seriously doubt it. Go into it with the perspective that it's 250 for the exhaust and 50 for the shipping and you probably won't be disappointed.
That's the deal I got. For that price it's a great buy.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

megan exhaust are 2.5 right. and as far as 3inch giving more hp eas this dyno prove?
Old 11-19-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by gprsho
megan exhaust are 2.5 right. and as far as 3inch giving more hp eas this dyno prove?
There's reports that Megan is LOUD & RASPY, and that availability is questionable. I almost went with Megan but thankfully it was unavailable at the time I ordered. So I ended up with the SRS exhaust and couldn't be happier!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:49 PM

Alrighty, my question is I took off the muffler and I want to remove the resonator...will the car be too loud and will it still wake up my neighborhood with only a 40 series flowmaster?
Old 01-31-2012, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by zsolt117
Alrighty, my question is I took off the muffler and I want to remove the resonator...will the car be too loud and will it still wake up my neighborhood with only a 40 series flowmaster?
YES!!!!!! I have a 4th gen with a custom 2.5" exhaust no resonator and a Flowmaster muffler and it's loud as hell....I'm about to change up the setup cause my buddy liked it alot at first but it started taking it's toll on him....Sounded like a garbage truck....
Old 02-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

02 Max SE, Exhaust issues

I have an '02 SE, and i noticed a knocking sound while i was driving. So i took a look under the car to find that the stock exhaust was loosely resting on the metal bars, causing the knocking sound, even though the mounts seem to be tight. It is loose from the catalytic converter all the way to the tips of the muffler. I also noticed an exhaust leak where the muffler meets the exhaust pipes. It is very corroded. My questions are how i can properly secure the exhaust system, and should replace the whole exhaust system, or just the muffler. and i would love recommendations on aftermarket exhausts because i do not know anything about them.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by 13thCav
I have an '02 SE, and i noticed a knocking sound while i was driving. So i took a look under the car to find that the stock exhaust was loosely resting on the metal bars, causing the knocking sound, even though the mounts seem to be tight. It is loose from the catalytic converter all the way to the tips of the muffler. I also noticed an exhaust leak where the muffler meets the exhaust pipes. It is very corroded. My questions are how i can properly secure the exhaust system, and should replace the whole exhaust system, or just the muffler. and i would love recommendations on aftermarket exhausts because i do not know anything about them.
Go to NAPA and purchase all new exhaoust isolators....Look in their exhaust book (Walker).....