5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

240sx 3" test pipe vs. Megan Test pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton

A HFC isn't a test pipe.
When cats go bad it smells like rotten eggs.

If your car is running right a TP shouldn't smell that bad.
When I had just my turndown on after the y I hardly smelled anything extra..just got a lot louder.
True

I didnt even realize we were talking about test pipes for a moment there.

I've thought about test pipe myself but might just go with another hi-flow cat (new this time)
Old 02-25-2015, 06:48 AM
dot dot dot ...

TP adds power. And a small amount of noise if on a 2.5" exhaust, not much with a 3" (noise that is).
Old 03-05-2015, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Trout
Hello, I just figured I'd resurrect this thread briefly instead of starting a new one. I'm looking to grab a 3" resonated test pipe from Ebay for my 2003 SE, however I'm having a little bit of trouble deciphering which one I need to get, as the original listings in this thread are very old and outdated, and no longer available.

Is there a specific year of 240 sx that I need to purchase for this? This one looks like it may work, but is a lot more expensive than what I was expecting to pay according to other thread results: DME 3" Stainless Resonator Cat Delete Test Pipe 89 94 240sx s13 Silvia SR20DET | eBay
I ordered the test pipe listed above, however, I fail to see how this is resonated upon receiving it. Would a resonated design have some sort of design modifications in the interior of the pipe to reduce exhaust volume, or is the shape of the pipe key in resonating the pipe? What I received seems to just be a straight through test pipe.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:30 AM
dot dot dot ...

I ordered the test pipe listed above, however, I fail to see how this is resonated upon receiving it. Would a resonated design have some sort of design modifications in the interior of the pipe to reduce exhaust volume, or is the shape of the pipe key in resonating the pipe? What I received seems to just be a straight through test pipe.
Mine is not resonated, though it looks that way. Perhaps because they want to give the impression it's still a cat. Not sure. A 3" exhaust w/TP is actually quieter than a 2.5" exhaust with TP in my opinion and a few others agree with me. I'd assume it may quiet it down some if it were actually resonated, but good luck finding one that it.

This is how mine looks inside.
Name:  89F800EF-8804-42E5-97C5-1F64F250C030.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  70.0 KB

And on the outside (center):

Name:  566E0756-1DAC-4087-9F79-C7B42ADEF5F5.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  67.5 KB
Old 03-05-2015, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Mine is not resonated, though it looks that way. Perhaps because they want to give the impression it's still a cat. Not sure. A 3" exhaust w/TP is actually quieter than a 2.5" exhaust with TP in my opinion and a few others agree with me. I'd assume it may quiet it down some if it were actually resonated, but good luck finding one that it.

This is how mine looks inside.

And on the outside (center):

Mine looks the same as yours inside. After digging around some more, I came across a Canadian shop that sells resonated test pipes, I wish I would have seen them before ordering from Ebay.

http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/i...nator5_web.jpg

Also available as a resonated catalytic converter bypass dump pipes, this bypass pipe is also manufactured in full 304 3” stainless with full stainless flanges.

Manufactured in-house, these huge resonated catalytic replacement pipes are made from polished 304 stainless tubing with full 304 stainless flanges. Complete with gaskets, and special metal locknuts (no need for lock washers or loctite), these Bypass Pipes are designed to maximize exhaust flow, yet allow some noise reduction with the perforated and packed wrap inside the resonator unit.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:09 PM

Well it looks like it's back to the drawing board, it turns out the pdm racing shop closed down, and the proprietor only works part time now filling orders. He said it's not worth it to make the resonated test pipes, as he had to machine the flanges, and hardly anyone bought those test pipes. And further he also mentioned that the resonated test pipe only offered a small noise reduction compared to the normal test pipe.

After discussing things with him, I'll likely pick up a 3" high flow cat from him. He was emphatic that there is a large noise difference between the high flow cats and test pipes, and the droning from the 3" exhaust is already bad enough as is. Although I do find myself very tempted to install the 3" test pipe to try it out, however that would make it difficult to return.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:30 PM

Well it looks like it's back to the drawing board, it turns out the pdm racing shop closed down, and the proprietor only works part time now filling orders. He said it's not worth it to make the resonated test pipes, as he had to machine the flanges, and hardly anyone bought those test pipes. And further he also mentioned that the resonated test pipe only offered a small noise reduction compared to the normal test pipe.

After discussing things with him, I'll likely pick up a 3" high flow cat from him. He was emphatic that there is a large noise difference between the high flow cats and test pipes, and the droning from the 3" exhaust is already bad enough as is. Although I do find myself very tempted to install the 3" test pipe to try it out, however that would make it difficult to return.
Just buy it(3"tp) try it if you don't like it put it up for sale.on the classified section
Old 03-06-2015, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by nestorlugo
Just buy it(3"tp) try it if you don't like it put it up for sale.on the classified section
I already have the test pipe on hand, I just haven't installed it yet. I certainly did consider selling it here if it's too loud, I may actually pick up a new high flow cat, try both pieces out, then sell whichever one I don't care for.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:52 PM
Bad *** Newb

There's no reason not to use the TP. It's cheap, it works perfectly and isn't going to make enough of a difference in sound to matter. Resonated is pointless on 3" as mentioned.

As far as I'm concerned my exhaust is too quiet with headers/test/cattman 3"

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 03-06-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn

Flomasta! Lmao.....jkjkjk
Old 03-07-2015, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
There's no reason not to use the TP. It's cheap, it works perfectly and isn't going to make enough of a difference in sound to matter. Resonated is pointless on 3" as mentioned.

I am quite curious about system volume with the cattman Y pipe, test pipe and 3" cattman exhaust as well. I think I use my phone sound meter program to grab volume levels with the current high flow cat installed, then do the same with the test pipe installed so that I have some quantifiable data to use instead of just using my ears.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:54 PM

I ran the sound meter program on my way to work tonight, these numbers are nowhere close to accurate, but nonetheless they provide a baseline volume for the disintegrating high flow cat that I'm running.

When idling, the meter registered 70db, cruising with very low engine load (say 1300rpm or so) registered 80db, and regular freeway cruising speed (90km/hr in 6th gear) registered 88db. Once I get the test pipe installed (hopefully tomorrow if my sore neck dies down) I'll post up results for that as well.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:00 PM

I installed the test pipe this afternoon, overall the installation wasn't too bad, I just had to cut one of the 4 bolts out with my grinder. It ended up actually being quieter than the high flow cat (had a hard time believing that would happen). At idle after fully warmed up the meter read as low as 69db, and at highway speed of 110km/hr it was registering 88db, at a higher rpm than the same reading with the high flow cat at 90km/hr.

Subjectively the test pipe sounds quieter as well, easy cruising at moderate speeds is remarkably quiet compared to what it sounded like with the high flow cat. The best part of this is the removal of the horrible rattlings sounds that were eminating from the high flow cat. After removing it, I could see that the substrate inside had separated, there were 2 large pieces that were rattling around.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:34 PM
Bad *** Newb

I installed the test pipe this afternoon, overall the installation wasn't too bad, I just had to cut one of the 4 bolts out with my grinder. It ended up actually being quieter than the high flow cat (had a hard time believing that would happen). At idle after fully warmed up the meter read as low as 69db, and at highway speed of 110km/hr it was registering 88db, at a higher rpm than the same reading with the high flow cat at 90km/hr.

Subjectively the test pipe sounds quieter as well, easy cruising at moderate speeds is remarkably quiet compared to what it sounded like with the high flow cat. The best part of this is the removal of the horrible rattlings sounds that were eminating from the high flow cat. After removing it, I could see that the substrate inside had separated, there were 2 large pieces that were rattling around.
I could see the turbulence causing more noise. I went to much smaller mufflers on my Z32 that weren't messed up inside like the old ones and it's much quieter and sounds IMMENSELY better.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:44 AM
dot dot dot ...

3rd person confirmed. (That I'm aware of) I too thought I was losing it.