5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

This is not my year, RIP 2002 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 03:30 PM

man.. totally sucks. I once had a lady do a u-turn from the right lane across my lane and totaled my bmw.... my bright side in that was i got about 50% more than i paid for that car... bought it for 9500, insurance cut me a 14.3k check... awesome.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:57 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

In arizona right now, different ISP so I can post. Tried switching DNS servers but since it still has to go though time warner, it won't work.

Probably going to do the precat delete and J pipe on the Accord, pretty good gains, in the 20 hp range from what others are saying. Cold air intake too, they are actually real CAIs too!

No idea where Nationwide took the car, but the engine was quite strong and didn't use oil.

I wasn't going that fast, maybe 45 or so when I hit the water, but back tires near the wear bars in 1" of water in a curve and slight dip on an absolute crap road and I spun and just never seemed to slow down until I hit a light pole. No pole, and other than the tires on the passenger side having to be remounted all would have been fine.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:48 AM

Wow man sorry for your loss. At least you were able to walk away with minimal damage to yourself. Car can be replaced!
Old 10-16-2011, 10:18 AM

Damn sorry but youre lucky to have your life
Old 10-16-2011, 01:07 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

kind of amazing being in two serious car wrecks this year without being injured, but my bike wreck resulted in a grade 3 shoulder separation. Go figure.

BTW, averaged just over 30 mpg on my way to Phoenix in the Accord, from Globe to Surprise, AZ, drove 195 miles and still have 3/4 of a tank of gas!
Old 10-16-2011, 05:33 PM

Sorry to hear that. We'll miss you in the Max forum. You've always had great contributions.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:02 AM

Sorry to read about this!
I actually bought myself an 06-V6-6MT EX J30 last month too
I finally got tired of not finding a good 6MT 5.5 with all the features I wanted and the Accord came along at just the right time...
With the 6MT, the accord is a seriously fast machine.. yes, the 5.5. has the bottom end tq but mid range and upper rpms that j30 just takes off!
So far its giving good company to my 5th gen and E46 330ci
Old 10-17-2011, 11:34 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Mine has the 5AT, about as quick as my 4AT 5.5 gen, but like you've noticed you trade the bottom end of the VQ35 for the top end pull of the J30. Mileage is a lot better, 281 miles since I filled up and I'm just under a half tank.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:30 AM

That sucks but glad to hear you are okay.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:11 PM

Cars will come and go, good to know you are in 1 piece and looks like functioning well. Good luck with the H.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:56 AM

That was quite a hit! Sorry to hear you've had a rash of bad things happen to you. Hopefully things get better and the other posters are right about your health being more important than a car.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:39 AM

I just had a head on accident, luckily just 35 mph, wifey and I are ok. The car took a huge hit. The other party paid $ 9,300 to get it repaired.

As I said cars can be repaired, we all need to be thankful for no injuries.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:28 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I'm sorry to hear that! I'm glad you're ok.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:40 PM

sucks to hear about totalling the max. glad you are ok, and were able to find a replacement quick.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:08 PM

wow man. that really sucks. that car is mangled. i feel like i'm beating a dead horse, but atleast you made it out without serious injury.

wow.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:16 PM

Glad you are ok....cars are just cars and can be replaced....

I had a 2003 accord ex-l v6......great car, silky smooth as well......Look into upgrading the RSB to a TL sway, add a nice HFP suspension and be done
Old 10-29-2011, 09:21 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Cutler
Glad you are ok....cars are just cars and can be replaced....

I had a 2003 accord ex-l v6......great car, silky smooth as well......Look into upgrading the RSB to a TL sway, add a nice HFP suspension and be done
Yeah, looking at the TL Type S anti-roll bars too. Superb gas mileage, on my way to Arizona, between El Paso and Benson, AZ, we got 32 mpg averaging 73.9 mph, trip computer was only off by 0.5 mpg. Still miss the VQ35 midrange torque but the top end rush is nice.

Finally can get back on maxima.org at home, seems Time Warner fixed their DNS cache issue.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:36 AM

saw on the NWP thread of you mentioning this accident and figured you had a story..i'm sorry man. i'm glad you're ok though
Old 11-14-2011, 12:57 PM

Scott before you go, can you give us some detailing tips and great products to use? I'm trying to get that swirl free finish
Old 11-15-2011, 09:00 PM

Wow that picture is crazy
Old 11-16-2011, 05:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Didn't see this thread until today. Sorry about the car but I'm glad you're okay. All the best with the Honda - I have two myself now.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:20 PM

didnt see this until today too... daaaaaamn that sucks terribly... well if you really do want another 5.5

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/2694021070.html

saw this on the ghustle thread
Old 11-20-2011, 11:11 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by luvlexus101
Scott before you go, can you give us some detailing tips and great products to use? I'm trying to get that swirl free finish
I have a thread stickied in our detailing forum. You absolutely need a good DA polisher and proper washing techniques to maintain a swirl free finish.

Puppetmaster-removing the intake resonator on the Accord was like doing a GAB on a 5.5 gen, plus now I am running premium in it, according to the lead engineer of the 7th gen Accord, the car was rated at 240 hp using regular fuel to give it a competitive advantage over the Altima and Camry, both of which require premium. He says using premium fuel gives you 10 hp and 10 lb-ft torque over the stock rating. Between the two, I have noticed improved power in the midrange and top end. Its as quick as my 4AT 5.5 gen, maybe even quicker above 75 or so (thanks to the extra gear) and gets 4-5 mpg better mileage on the freeway. Still no match for my 6MT 5.5 gen though, at least in terms of acceleration.

I got 280k miles out of my first Accord so I know you can put a ton of relatively trouble free miles on them.

Grand_hustle17-only way I'd get another 5.5 gen is if it is a 6MT. Plus I really can't see laying out money for a car from the rust belt. I do appreciate the heads up though.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:25 PM

I really doubt that switching to premium fuel will net you an extra 10 HP and torque. But, whatever, you drive a Honda now.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:45 PM

^ LMAO, yeah that really sounds like a Honda statement. a 2-4 octane bump nets 10 hp? Not buying that
Old 11-20-2011, 10:24 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by spock
I really doubt that switching to premium fuel will net you an extra 10 HP and torque. But, whatever, you drive a Honda now.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...1-accord_x.htm

Torque is the key to quick starts from dead stops. Accord's 240-hp V-6 is rated 212 pounds-feet of torque. Altima's 240-hp V-6 is rated 246 lbs.-ft.

The Accord V-6 ratings assume regular-grade fuel, and Honda will market it as a regular-fuel engine. But — pssst — it's good for another 10 hp and 10-plus lbs.-ft. on premium, acknowledges V-6 engineer Asaki.
The 240-horsepower Accord V-6 trumps Camry's 192-hp V-6 and uses regular fuel instead of Camry's premium (although Accord's will jump 10 horsepower or so on premium, V-6's chief engineer says).
Lead engineer on the 7th gen Accord says otherwise...and we have 93 octane here, so that's a 6 point bump. Guarantee my AV6 will run with a 4AT 5.5 gen. Now if I could only swap the VQ35 and 6MT from my last Maxima into my Accord...
Old 11-21-2011, 06:45 AM

LOL yeah but that would kill your amazing fuel mileage!

I dunno still sounds like a tall tale to me. But who am I? I'm sure it performs better at the minimum, so give er!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:12 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
LOL yeah but that would kill your amazing fuel mileage!

I dunno still sounds like a tall tale to me. But who am I? I'm sure it performs better at the minimum, so give er!
Getting lows 20s in town, 30-32 freeway. The 5th gear is more of an overdrive than 6th was on my 6MT 5.5 gen. Been using premium since I first put gas in it. ECU reset helped a lot at part throttle too, car felt sluggish just driving around. I bought the car from my Dad who mostly used it to drive to and from work and that included a lot of rush hour driving. Resetting the ECU is pretty easy. Key on (but not starting) with gas pedal pushed down for 5 seconds, key off (but not removed), foot off gas for 2 minutes, restart and drive. No more full throttle performance but part throttle is definitely better. Just wish it would downshift more quickly when you get on the gas, my 4AT 5.5 gen downshifted immediately, there is a lag in my AV6 unless you completely floor it. Seems to be normal.

Still rather have the 6MT 5.5 gen.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Getting lows 20s in town, 30-32 freeway. The 5th gear is more of an overdrive than 6th was on my 6MT 5.5 gen. Been using premium since I first put gas in it. ECU reset helped a lot at part throttle too, car felt sluggish just driving around. I bought the car from my Dad who mostly used it to drive to and from work and that included a lot of rush hour driving. Resetting the ECU is pretty easy. Key on (but not starting) with gas pedal pushed down for 5 seconds, key off (but not removed), foot off gas for 2 minutes, restart and drive. No more full throttle performance but part throttle is definitely better. Just wish it would downshift more quickly when you get on the gas, my 4AT 5.5 gen downshifted immediately, there is a lag in my AV6 unless you completely floor it. Seems to be normal.

Still rather have the 6MT 5.5 gen.
So.. at least you still would want your 6SPD 5.5, and u could try adding a Grounding Kit for that downshift issue I noticed a huge improvement, also transmission cooler made recognizing most shifts difficult
Old 11-21-2011, 01:46 PM
RR5

So hang on, you mean to tell us you hit a patch of water on a otherwise dry road causing you to lose control and crash? That is straight up a call to a lawyer my friend. Otherwise, on the dry road you'd drive by without incident. Thus the apartment complex is at fault for creating the water puddle. Not even to mention the city for not having a proper water draining system.

I am not a laywer but at least make some calls.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:58 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
So.. at least you still would want your 6SPD 5.5, and u could try adding a Grounding Kit for that downshift issue I noticed a huge improvement, also transmission cooler made recognizing most shifts difficult
After looking over the install of an aftermarket transmission cooler on a 7th gen Accord, I'll take my chances.

Maybe better grounding would help the downshift issue, who knows? I've noticed a lot of newer cars are slow to downshift though, probably built into the computer to help city mileage.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:02 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by RR5
So hang on, you mean to tell us you hit a patch of water on a otherwise dry road causing you to lose control and crash? That is straight up a call to a lawyer my friend. Otherwise, on the dry road you'd drive by without incident. Thus the apartment complex is at fault for creating the water puddle. Not even to mention the city for not having a proper water draining system.

I am not a laywer but at least make some calls.
I know they don't have the sprinklers on all the time anymore. One of the cops said the watering had been an issue for months there but she wasn't specific what the problems have been. Its really up to my insurance whether or not to go after the complex, I did tell them about the flooding and what the cop said.

I have a couple friends who are lawyers and they both said it would be a hard case to win unless a lot of people had been having accidents there. Didn't help my rear tires were almost on the wear bars but not sure even if they had full tread depth it would have helped with water that deep. Another issue is the road is so rough that once you lose traction, you bounce around enough it makes it hard to get traction back.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:34 AM
RR5

Originally Posted by Scottwax
I know they don't have the sprinklers on all the time anymore. One of the cops said the watering had been an issue for months there but she wasn't specific what the problems have been. Its really up to my insurance whether or not to go after the complex, I did tell them about the flooding and what the cop said.

I have a couple friends who are lawyers and they both said it would be a hard case to win unless a lot of people had been having accidents there. Didn't help my rear tires were almost on the wear bars but not sure even if they had full tread depth it would have helped with water that deep. Another issue is the road is so rough that once you lose traction, you bounce around enough it makes it hard to get traction back.
That still is terrible! However I would not let that go without some sort of fight. Only takes one or something to set a precedence.

In the bigger picture, if you can walk away from a crash that is really all that matters.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:54 AM

Scott, being a J30 owner myself... I have to say I have so fallen in love with it over our Maxima now:
1. Chassis feels solid, there is no flex like the noodle structure of the maxima.
2. Steering feel is more BMW like than typical Jap cars.
3. I have the 6MT and boy it loves to rev... I test drove 3 5.5 6MTs and this motor just feels super refined compared to the maxima, its smooth, silent and develops power so linearly you dont even realize you are at such high speeds.
4. The seats are much more supportive in all ways than the max, the side bolsters actually hold you, in my maxima even with the upgrade to seats from an 03, I still slide around, in the accord the bolsters have terrific support especially while cornering.
5. The shifter and shift action of the honda is simply years ahead of the maxima, you click through each slot as though its second nature, compared to that the maxima comes across as a vague shifter.. I would even goto the extend of saying I prefer it to my 330ci.
6. Freeway driving- the accord is actually rated at 69db at 70mph which shows they paid good attention to sound deadening... between adding about 70lbs of mass loaded vinyl, a lot of raammat, second skin sludge... I was finally able to bring my maxima down to 68 from the mid 70s it had. I can only imagine how quite it will get if I do the same treatment to the accord.

Stock for stock and in manual trans form, I am so sure it would be a drivers thing!

Last edited by kukx30de; 11-22-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:03 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Wish the 6 speed had been available in the sedan in 2004, but I bought the car from my Dad so not sure if he would have ordered it with a 6 speed anyway. The VQ35 is stronger under 5k, the J30 stronger above 5k so in normal city driving, the Maxima feels quicker. Once you get on it though, both feel pretty good.

Build quality is definitely better in the Accord, as you've pointed it, quieter, better seats, less chassis flex but it is a 3 year newer design vs the 5/5.5 gen cars. My ex-wife had a Civic with a manual transmission and Honda sure does a nice job with shifter feel. Not quite what I had in my '74 Z/28 with a Hurst shifter, but not that far off either. What I don't understand is why HIDs are still not even an option on the Accords. Doesn't make any sense when all their competition has them.

Agree, stock for stock (4AT vs 5AT and manual vs manual) would be pretty close. The biggest advantages I would give to the Maxima is the price ($3-4k less used), midrange torque and HIDs. Accord's advantages are quieter, better seats, nicer overall interior. If I hadn't been able to get the Accord for the payoff on my Maxima, I would probably have just waited on another 6MT 5.5 gen to show up for sale.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:04 PM

ARE YOU PARTING OUT?
Old 11-24-2011, 08:44 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by 914max
ARE YOU PARTING OUT?
My insurance company picked up the car in early September. No idea where they took it. I do have 6 coils packs that I bought and never used.