5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help..prob with suspension noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 04:15 PM

Help..prob with suspension noise

I had tien h-tech springs and tokico illuminas installed and my front passanger and rear driver side makes noise when turning slowly...it sounds like a creaking then pop...was something installed incorrectly or maybe tightened too much?
Old 10-17-2011, 04:12 AM

It does sound like something was installed incorrectly. Did you get new bump stops, bushings, etc?

From what you are describing, sounds like the spring maybe twisting. Also, If I remember correctly, the top hat needs to be facing a particular direction.

Also, did they install the spring isolators on the bottom of the spring/perch? It's pretty much a thick rubber condom of sorts so the metal spring does not chafe against the spring perch.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:54 AM

I get the same sounds. I did replace the strut mounts and bump stops on all four corners with new oem parts. I also installed the top hats facing the correct direct and spring sleeves properly. I have narrowed it down to either using the crappy gsp brand axles because the passenger side axle from them is the same as the automatic (this means the axle is not long enough). I like to think that using an axle that is too short and turning the car fully (which is when the noises occur) is causing the axle to hyper-extend.

The other culprit could be the weak motor mounts. I have heard they cause a pop sound if faulty.

What axles are you running?
Do you have a 6 speed?
How do your mounts look?
Old 10-17-2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
It does sound like something was installed incorrectly. Did you get new bump stops, bushings, etc?

From what you are describing, sounds like the spring maybe twisting. Also, If I remember correctly, the top hat needs to be facing a particular direction.

Also, did they install the spring isolators on the bottom of the spring/perch? It's pretty much a thick rubber condom of sorts so the metal spring does not chafe against the spring perch.
That sounds like it could be the problem...would u happen to know the torque specs for the suspension bolts on a 02? Or where I can find them without buying a Hanes Manuel.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by 02whitemaximase
I get the same sounds. I did replace the strut mounts and bump stops on all four corners with new oem parts. I also installed the top hats facing the correct direct and spring sleeves properly. I have narrowed it down to either using the crappy gsp brand axles because the passenger side axle from them is the same as the automatic (this means the axle is not long enough). I like to think that using an axle that is too short and turning the car fully (which is when the noises occur) is causing the axle to hyper-extend.

The other culprit could be the weak motor mounts. I have heard they cause a pop sound if faulty.

What axles are you running?
Do you have a 6 speed?
How do your mounts look?
It has to be something with the springs/struts...because after I had them changed that's when I started hearing these sounds.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:27 AM

I understand your point but you have to remember lowering the car can cause a little more stress on parts such as the axles.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by 02whitemaximase
I understand your point but you have to remember lowering the car can cause a little more stress on parts such as the axles.
I went from s-tech's with kyb's(that were on the car for 5 years)to h-techs with illuminas..I didn't have this problem before..
Old 10-17-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by joeyd
That sounds like it could be the problem...would u happen to know the torque specs for the suspension bolts on a 02? Or where I can find them without buying a Hanes Manuel.
I don't have the torque specs off hand, but when I installed all mine, I just snugged them down real good without a torque wrench. All was fine. I have the link to the factory service manuals in my signature if you wanted to download and take a look.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by joeyd
I had tien h-tech springs and tokico illuminas installed and my front passanger and rear driver side makes noise when turning slowly...it sounds like a creaking then pop...was something installed incorrectly or maybe tightened too much?

I don't know I'm still on factory suspension but twice I've heard a pop like that but only while making a left turn while accelerating.

Its like 2 pop sounds but my boots and stuff look fine. I don't know if its a worn bushing or what..........

Last edited by 7speed; 10-17-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:22 PM

Had vogtlands and KYB Gr2s installed a couple months ago and all was fine till about a month ago and I now have the sounds that the OP describes. Can't seem to figure out the cause. All I know that it annoys me to no end.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the same problem. New strut assembly, stock springs, new strut bearings (dealer), stock springs. Everything lines up fine, all "out" marks lined up. Any fixes or solutions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:49 AM

I have read recently that the sway bar end link can be the culprit. I get the same sound and I installed new ebay end links. The problem may be the fact that I used ebay end links istead of moog. I will attempt to rememdy this noise by first rebuilding the passenger side oem drive shaft because I still think this sound is mostly due to the slightly shorter than oem GSP axle. (As I stated earlier, the GSP 6 speed passenger axles are the same as the automatic units which is not the correct length.) If that doesn't fix the problem then new moog endlinks it is.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Suspension Yoda

A fresh suspension can also help you identify problems that were previously masked by a blown/noisy strut.

eg your passenger side motor mount.