5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Weird Grinding/Scrubbing noise only when car is cold...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 10:01 AM

Weird Grinding/Scrubbing noise only when car is cold...

I have a 2000 Max Auto SE with 179K. within the last couple of weeks I have noticed that my car makes a scrubbing sound when the car is cold(it almost sounds like the tires are scrubbing against something(this is only an attempt to describe what it sounds like I dont want to mislead anyone to thinking its brake related because im almost convinced its engine related)). Im sure its not that because as soon as the car reaches normal operating temperature the sound goes away completely no matter what the outside temperature is the sound goes away when the car warms up. The only thing done to the car recently was an oil change and I use Pennzoil 5w30(non synthetic) as I always had. I did add uv dye to the oil to locate an oil leak(wonder if the dye reduces the viscosity that much?) my oil leak isnt pouring out...its a small drip and I only really see a difference on the dipstick on long trips( I make sure my oil level correct EVERY time before I drive my car and yes I know its a bit much but that just me). However I have not been on any long trips since August. Since school has started I only drive my car about once a week or so. Oh yea I do have a small leak for my PS fluid but again its not even a drip with that leak(no fluid level changes). I changed my return line tranny hose as well but I added the proper amount back to the tranny that I lost from the hose and such and that leak is no longer a factor. with all that said I'm just stumped and dont even know where to start I have no SES light just an ABS light that has been on since the summer...I hate it when I cant figure out whats wrong so I can just fix it and move on. ANY HELP or INPUT will be greatly appreciated. and yes I did search but the only related issues I found were only at cold-start up not when the problem persist while the car is cold .

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
I cant believe I forgot to mention that this noise only happens when i press the accelerator, when I let off or press the brakes the noise goes away. and this happens until the car reaches normal operating temp. and the colder it is outside the worse it sounds until the car warms up.

http://s1238.photobucket.com/albums/...t=carnoise.mp4

the noise occurs at the following times and you wont see any video I turned off the video light so you can focus on the sound(this is all while the car has not warmed up yet and at each time interval I have begin accelerating(This is my first time recording for stuff like this so i'm trying not to waste 3 minutes of your life lol) car is stock under hood
1:08-1:12
1:45-1:49
1:58-2:01
2:33

Last edited by BigLou55; 11-05-2011 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Uploaded Video
Old 10-31-2011, 12:12 PM

Very hard to tell from your description. It could just be that the calipers are tight when you start up in the morning. Mine does that once in a while the first or second time I tap the brakes when I just get going in the morning - makes a scraping or some other weird sound then it goes away.

A while back it did have a more persistent scraping noise - it turned out to be a bent dust shield rubbing on a rotor.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by EuroDriver
Very hard to tell from your description. It could just be that the calipers are tight when you start up in the morning. Mine does that once in a while the first or second time I tap the brakes when I just get going in the morning - makes a scraping or some other weird sound then it goes away.

A while back it did have a more persistent scraping noise - it turned out to be a bent dust shield rubbing on a rotor.
Same here. With the humidity here, the rotors can get a light coat of rust on them and as the car rolls, it makes a scraping noise. After the brakes are applied a few times, it goes away. I've also had the dust shield issue, and even some debris that created noise as well.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:54 PM

Yea i know what it sounds like when rust accumulates on the rotors, Its not that because Im use to that sound being I only drive about once a week I get rust sound about every time I get in my car now.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:18 PM

Ever changed the passenger side motor mount?

Last edited by 03VQMAX; 10-31-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:29 PM

Yup I just changed my passenger mount about 5 months ago with a brand new one. I think i know the noise you are referring to because I had major vibration on the passenger side until i swapped that and no more vibration...ES torque mounts are next but I gotta figure this out before I proceed to anything else.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:18 PM

If you could perhaps make a short video with the audio of the sound, perhaps the guys can better help to zero in on the issue.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ghost_54
If you could perhaps make a short video with the audio of the sound, perhaps the guys can better help to zero in on the issue.
Ill try to make it this weekend and figure out how to post it up here
Old 10-31-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by BigLou55
Ill try to make it this weekend and figure out how to post it up here
You can load it up on "You Tube" (no cost to you) and it will provide you with a linking code which you can then post here ... or create a Free "Photo Bucket account and you can upload a short video there and it will also provide you with the linking code which you then post here for all to few.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:53 AM

bump...added video link to original post
Old 11-05-2011, 11:29 AM

I had the same kind of sound (I think?). I just replaced all of my motor mounts and the tranny mount and the sound is gone. I have an 01 i30 with about 182k on it. I know you said you replaced it, but it worked for me.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:58 AM

Well I have only replaced my passenger mount, I have just gotten my ES inserts in the mail and just have the press them in my set of manual mounts, and well I had no plans of replacing my tranny mount but I think it would be best to have them all new. im trying to replace my torque mounts over thankgiving break if time permits. thanks for you input I never considered the mounts being the issue but it does sound logical.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:45 PM

My apologies for bumping an old thread, but I'm wondering if the OP was able to solve the grinding noise by replacing the motor or transmission mounts?

I'm having the exact same sound only when the car is cold and I'm on the accelerator. Started happening recently with the change to cold weather.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:31 AM

Check your motor mounts.

Originally Posted by 03blackSE
My apologies for bumping an old thread, but I'm wondering if the OP was able to solve the grinding noise by replacing the motor or transmission mounts?

I'm having the exact same sound only when the car is cold and I'm on the accelerator. Started happening recently with the change to cold weather.
Bumping this because I hate to leave things unfinished, if I can help it.

It was the rear motor mount. It was on my to do list anyway but when I was replacing the torque mounts (front and rear) the rear mount where the bolt goes through was completely separated from the rest of the mount (will minimal rubber attached). So when the car was cold this amplified that extra bit of vibration you have when the engine is cold and you accelerate, putting more load on that rear mount. After it warms up it just would go away. Anywho I installed ES mounts and the noise I described above went away, btw those ES mounts are awesome! Had them for about 2.5 years now. There is vibration in the steering wheel with the ES mounts, but only when you are sitting idle (like at a traffic light). As soon as I press the accelerator it goes away. So I would personally say the upgrade is worth it. Hope this helps someone!