5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Poly Mounts + Torque Link = Beneficial?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 06:21 AM
^ Jeff™

Poly Mounts + Torque Link = Beneficial?

I was thinking about this the other day after installing some mounts I ended up getting from Puppetmaster. Just some random thoughts and open to discussion.

Do poly mounts and torque link seem overkill as they essentially are doing the same thing?...or do they benefit each other?

Also curious on the torque link by itself. If a torque link is keeping the engine stable on one side wouldn't it create more wear on the opposite (driver's) side mounts or tranny or possibly axle?
Old 11-22-2011, 06:32 AM

I can't speak of the mount's because there sitting in a box in my room because i havn't had time to throw them in but IMO they kind of do the same thing (limit engine movement) I did have the torque link and i liked it alot, There's alot of ajustment and fine tuning you can do with it to get your car feeling just the way you wan't. My buddy made the mistake of doing the link before the mounts and adjusted the link to tight which squashed his MM's and made them start leaking. But together from what i hear snugs the front end up pretty nice.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:37 AM
dot dot dot ...

The combination that you speak of has been my favorite mod to this car. Most noticeable and in a good way.

For me it complimented the VB mod, but as you are a 6MT, it may benefit in ways I don't even know about being auto and all.

I'm also convinced it's worth some whp since more of your power is headed to the ground.

Is it possible to gain 15 peak whp from a catback?
Old 11-22-2011, 07:02 AM
^ Jeff™

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
The combination that you speak of has been my favorite mod to this car. Most noticeable and in a good way.
Just curious but did you have the mounts first and then the torque link miles later?...or both at once?
Old 11-22-2011, 07:07 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by MrEous
Just curious but did you have the mounts first and then the torque link miles later?...or both at once?
I'd say maybe about 2 days apart or something like that. I didn't buy the ETL shortly after, as I already had all parts and just installed them on different days.

Considering the ease of installation for the ETL, price and the flexibility to remove it when not wanted or needed just adds to it's value.

I need it on mine since I now have sparks manifold.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:08 AM
^ Jeff™

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I'd say maybe about 2 days apart or something like that. I didn't buy the ETL shortly after, as I already had all parts and just installed them on different days.

Considering the ease of installation for the ETL, price and the flexibility to remove it when not wanted or needed just adds to it's value.
Ok cool thank you...
I need it on mine since I now have sparks manifold.
OT but have you dyno'd after?
Old 11-22-2011, 07:27 AM
You embarrass me.

Love the combo. NWP Link + ES MMs feel great, especially how these factory mounts will age. Hoping to add knight_yyz's side mounts to finish off the set. Engine movement is my b****.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:26 AM

I have the ES Mounts and subframe bushings. The engine does not move AT ALL and helps BIG TIME with wheel hop and acceleration. I do not have NWP Torque Link so I can't speak for that, but I feel that I don't need it now, honestly.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

More anchoring of the motor can't hurt. The motor mount inserts were one of the single best mods I had for throttle response. Can't say they helped with XX whp, but I'm sure it helped a little.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:47 PM

Sentra with Stock engine mounts, notice the engine's movement without ES motor mounts
http://upload.streetfire.net/video/Sent ... 111916.htm

03 Max with Headers (not tuned) and short ram on stock engine mounts, notice the engine movement:
http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/l...1Skidzrun1.mp4

This is a Max with the lower crossmember engine mounts and sub-bushings changed to ES motor mounts and sub-bushings

Pic's of the engine mounts that were swapped for ES mounts on my 03 Max.

I don't have the torque link engine brace, and can only imagine that it would add even more support to eliminating the unwanted engine movement and assist in transferring all the engines torque straight to the wheels and ground ... as Puppetmaster has stated having the two mod's working together can only be a good thing.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:23 PM

I was thinking about this the other day after installing some mounts I ended up getting from Puppetmaster. Just some random thoughts and open to discussion.

Do poly mounts and torque link seem overkill as they essentially are doing the same thing?...or do they benefit each other?

Also curious on the torque link by itself. If a torque link is keeping the engine stable on one side wouldn't it create more wear on the opposite (driver's) side mounts or tranny or possibly axle?

I was thinking about getting poly mounts and tq link too. I might just start with the mounts and see how that feels first.

You still getting hop/scrub after your mounts?
Old 11-22-2011, 09:34 PM

I would say they would go good together....GL...
Old 11-22-2011, 10:04 PM

Looks like I'll be ordering some NWP Torque links!!!
Old 11-23-2011, 12:22 AM

I have the poly mounts in the entire front suspension on the car and shifter bushings as well as the torque link, the combo is epic!!!
Old 11-23-2011, 05:44 AM

im sure poly mounts and TQ link are a bit much. I have poly tranny and passenger side mounts and its pretty stiff. Was thinking of getting the TQ link. Everyone that has one has felt a difference and for the price you cant beat it
Old 11-23-2011, 06:04 AM

I've been driving a 2003 6MT since Summer of 2002, carefully modded year over year since 2006.

In April 2009, I had Energy Suspension solid polyurethane Torque Mount bushings installed. It immediately, and thereafter, became my favorite mod to the car. Few modifications are as transformative as this. The NVH it introduces is an entirely new and visceral quality for your near-luxury 4-door, and admittedly it's can be too much for some people. Personally, I love it. On the performance side, it makes your car feel *much* more responsive to the throttle.

In June 2010, I bought and installed the NWP Torque Link. After 1+ year of the solid poly bushings, I got to experience the previous year's upgrade moment all over again. There is a great deal more NVH with the Torque Link, but it also contributes significantly with all the same benefits of the solid torque mount bushings. I drive 24/7 with the Torque Link installed, although I take it off for the winter when the snow tires go on.

My advice is not to do both at the same time, you'll probably freak out with all the NVH, and immediately disconnect the Torque Link. Start with the bushings, assess things over a few months, then go to the next level.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:20 AM
^ Jeff™

Originally Posted by 7speed
I was thinking about getting poly mounts and tq link too. I might just start with the mounts and see how that feels first.

You still getting hop/scrub after your mounts?
I have subframe bushings to go in still and some other various poly stuff...
...more or less I was just trying to see the viability of adding the Torque link and possibly saving the money for elsewhere.

I'll do what Rochester suggested and just work my way up to a TQ Link further down the road. I have the other poly stuff to put in first anyway and I'd rather feel the benefit of each mod first instead of everything at once.

(Oh, no wheel hop but I'm not trying to kill my clutch either - lol)
Old 11-23-2011, 06:29 AM

I'd rather feel the benefit of each mod first instead of everything at once.
Good for you. That's exactly how to best enjoy this hobby, by taking your time to experience the nuances of each mod, and anticipating future plans.