5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Auto climate control lights on and off

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 08:55 AM

Auto climate control lights on and off

I have had the lights behind my auto climate control going on and off randomly for some time now. Not all at once, some times it's the left side, middle, or right but usually not all three at once. I took it apart the other day and everything "looks" fine, but I am no electrical genius so I wouldn't know. Sometimes if I wack the console, they will turn on or off, so a loose connection somewhere maybe.

I'm gonna pull it out again after work tonite, but have no idea what to look for beyond corrosion and loose connections. So any experience in this area would be appreciated
Old 11-23-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Brl24
I have had the lights behind my auto climate control going on and off randomly for some time now. Not all at once, some times it's the left side, middle, or right but usually not all three at once. I took it apart the other day and everything "looks" fine, but I am no electrical genius so I wouldn't know. Sometimes if I wack the console, they will turn on or off, so a loose connection somewhere maybe.

I'm gonna pull it out again after work tonite, but have no idea what to look for beyond corrosion and loose connections. So any experience in this area would be appreciated
common problem with the 3 little blue lights going out. just replace them and take it from there. They are $3 a piece from nissan. Search for it and you will find it. And since you allready took it apart it will be really easy for you.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:53 AM

mine does the same thing... only the left side though... i smack it and it comes back on... usually when u smack it and it comes back on after a smack its the spring in the bulb and ur actually re attaching it... it has been colder latley where i am... and as soon as it started getting cold is when it started doing it..im going to replace the bulbs back there and see if it stops... urs might be a different issue if its all of them... its not common for bulbs to burn out together... just like how u rarely see both ur headligts burn out at once... worth ashotto replacethe bulbs
Old 11-23-2011, 12:47 PM

Ya I was gonna try just replacing them anyway, and the Canadian price is actually 6.50 a piece haha we get hosed here. I wasn't sure if they would work intermittently like that if they needed to be replaced, but I'll pick them up after work and give em a try
Old 11-23-2011, 01:04 PM

My left side is out. I've been debating whether or not to attempt to replace the bulb since I don't know how to get in there to do it. Maybe I'll do some Org searching and see what I come up with.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:45 PM

It's pretty easy man, pop the top vent from the side with a rag and screw driver, and remove the shift boot or cover if your autotragic, then under the change holder there is a phillips screw to remove. Then you can pop off the rest of console that goes up under the climate control, where you remove two 8mm bolts.

There is two more up top to remove, then the whole assembly comes out, disconnect all the plugs in the back and then you can remove the climate control from that rack by unscrewing the the two screws on each side. From there just be careful, there are four small screws u need to remove and then it's just clips. The bulbs are blue and twist out from the back of the little switch board
Old 11-25-2011, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
My left side is out. I've been debating whether or not to attempt to replace the bulb since I don't know how to get in there to do it. Maybe I'll do some Org searching and see what I come up with.

I'll save you some searching, T-Behr. Here's a writeup I did a while back.

http://home.comcast.net/~kcmurphy72/i30/HVAC.pdf
Old 11-25-2011, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Montego Murph
I'll save you some searching, T-Behr. Here's a writeup I did a while back.

http://home.comcast.net/~kcmurphy72/i30/HVAC.pdf
That's a really nice writeup