5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

15 Minute 5.5gen Belt Change....

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 07:20 AM
Get Off My Lawn

15 Minute 5.5gen Belt Change....

Of course it helps when 90% of everything in your way is NOT in your way!

Yes, did the belt change in about 15 minutes. Did this as part of a lot of other repairs/mods I was doing at the time. I will say this, there was not better time for having to do everything I did. Everything I was working on seemed to require something else I was working on to be removed....so it worked out great! Here is the list of stuff I've done over the last couple weekends.

- Replaced blown radiator.
- Installed Cattman Headers/y-pipe and fastcat. Also extended front a rear primary O2 harness. NOTE: I failed to find any mention the rear electrical harness plug could be extended. So, maybe it's now common knowledge, but the rear plug can be extended down to reach the rear primary....I actually had about 1-2" of slack in the rear, much more than I could get for the front.

- Replaced front elect motor mount ($30 shipped ebay) with manual mount.
- Re-sealed lower oil pan. (Then learned it was the notorious oil cooler.)

- Installed new seals for the oil cooler. There were two different sizes, I went ahead and bought both....both fit on the cooler....so I used BOTH. One appearently is NOT enough or these things wouldn't leak like they do!

- Replaced belts. So, yes, with the crossmember, exhaust, and splash guards already removed, changing the belts was a snap!

So, all in all...everything I did required the removal or draining of something else I was working on. Couldn't have worked out better! Just thought I'd share.

Still need to replace rear passenger caliper that's been sticking for 8 months; subsequently replace rear brakes. I figure that can wait till after Christmas! Besides, the caliper had nothing to do with anything else I was working on at the time!
Old 12-19-2011, 07:34 AM

Good job Chris, car probably drives like new now. How many miles on the engine?
Oh btw, I haven't install the oil catch can you gave me...
Old 12-19-2011, 08:01 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Got about 145k miles on the odo. Checked the pre-cats and primary, could still see a good amount of light through them. Even though they appear to have had some miles left in them, I'm still glad I got the Cattman set-up!

It's alright about the can, I know how it is! I tell you though, I am absolutely glad I waited to do the belts....I bought them back in the spring! That rear bolt on the power steering pump is ridiculous to get to with all that crap in the way!!!!!
Old 12-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Took the car for a drive finally. Very noticeable power and torque gains! Really excited about getting a 2.5 catback after tax return!! Wrapped headers smoked for about 25 minutes after initial startup. Going to have to watch the front O2 Primary, but the wrapped headers I can put my hand on for a couple seconds while running at fully warmed up. So, shouldn't be too bad. Very excited about no CEL!!

Certain I got all air out of coolant lines. No squeels on the belts!

Bad thing...I found fresh oil under the car. Jacked it back up...appearently in re-sealing the oil pan, I forgot to re-tighten the oil drain plug, ugh. So, no more leaks!
Old 12-19-2011, 04:34 PM

NIce job on the belt change. I have a mystery leak right now that seems to be coming from the oil pan. Only drips when car is running parked on a incline in the driveway. I can't pinpoint it, but now I'm wondering if it is the oil cooler. Any way to tell for sure?
Old 12-19-2011, 04:39 PM

Nice job...just installed my Headers also day afterr Thanksgiving...
Old 12-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Get Off My Lawn

SE - the only way I could say to know for sure is to do a close inspection. If the oil is coming from a point around where the lower pan bolts up...maybe.

My oil cooler leaking looked like I had oil dripping/ leaking from the rubber coolant line that connects to the cooler on the back side of the engine. Not certain at the time, I thought it looked like the lower oil pan was leaking but I was confused as to why it seemed the oil was coming from higher up...there was oil above where the lower oil pan mated to the upper pan. Didn't do my research before I removed the lower oil pan....it was tight as could be, no leaks. That's when I started looking closer and researched. Again, I put both seals on mine as I read some replaced theirs only to have them leak again in a year or so. I also used a VERY light coating of black rtv on the mating surface of the upper oil pan....just for peice of mind!

Rods, you got mail!
Old 12-19-2011, 05:53 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Here are some images related to the Cattman Header install and lengthening of the front and rear primaries.

Overall engine bay:

Rear Extension: I know it's poor quality and dark, but should give an idea. The extended rear wires actually run upward in the image from the main harness located at the bottom of the picture.

Front Header:
Old 12-19-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by 02 SE
NIce job on the belt change. I have a mystery leak right now that seems to be coming from the oil pan. Only drips when car is running parked on a incline in the driveway. I can't pinpoint it, but now I'm wondering if it is the oil cooler. Any way to tell for sure?
Very possible to be the oil cooler line mine developed a small leak at 175,000km. right where the circled area is

Chris very nice install on the headers

Last edited by Ghost_54; 12-19-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Ghost: thank you! You mentioned yours was leaking, but if it was that line you show, it would be leaking coolant, not oil.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:52 PM

Yes it is a oil coolant line but it is a brownish color almost like oil texture but of course not oil ... just thought that 02 SE would want to check it out as he said he had a small leak.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:29 AM

Nice job Chris. Let me know when I can call you. Send me a pm, I'd love to talk about the cattman install in detail so I am ready in a couple of months.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:34 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally Posted by Ghost_54
Yes it is a oil coolant line but it is a brownish color almost like oil texture but of course not oil ... just thought that 02 SE would want to check it out as he said he had a small leak.
You're absolutely right! That line seems prone to rust, I noticed a couple sections on mine too that I want to keep watch on.

02Whitemaxima: You got mail!
Old 12-20-2011, 10:11 AM

i just had that oil cooler O-ring leak. nice easy fix.

nice work Chris Gregg, sounds like a lot of work
Old 12-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Was a lot of work, but very worthwhile and rewarding! Believe it or not, the greatest satisfaction has been that replacing the front mount eliminated the 1-2 harsh shift I had. It was all worth that alone!