5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Proper diagnostics for troubleshooting long shifts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 07:36 PM

Proper diagnostics for troubleshooting long shifts?

I have a 2k maxima and the shifts are long and just don't feel right. I have the original TCM in it which is a 31036-3y100. From some reading it seems that this is a problem unit. I installed a 31036-4y900 that I got from a guy on the forums and the shift from 1st to 2nd actually seems worse. It also downshifted hard. It's just very long to shift, but doesn't "flare" between gears.

Now, god knows when the last time the trans fluid got changed before I got this car. It has 125,000 miles on it now and I got it at 118,000 and changed the tranny fluid immediately (pumped out the entire contents) it smelled pretty stinky but I think I have seen worse.

Now, What is the proper procedure for narrowing down the problem? I am willing to buy a new TCM if I absolutely have to, but definitely won't without being sure it's actually the problem and the issue isn't the valve body etc..

I know the previous owner isn't a gearhead and drives like an old lady. I also know that I drive like an old lady. I doubt this is due to abuse.

I don't want to, and can't afford to just throw parts at this problem.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it.

Evan
Old 12-27-2011, 08:01 PM

Do you have a CEL light or is your O/D light blinking? it could be your imagination, the TCM, the solenoid pack inside the transmission, It could also be a sensor on your tranny as to some cases when they are going bad they will affect your tranny performance(Nissan service tech told me this). Does it change the length of the shifts depending on how aggressive you press the accelerator or is it always just long? I feel like my 2 to 3 shift is a bit long but my front engine mount needs replacing and I'm unsure if that affects shifting being the powertrain moves a little more so. Im going to replace that before I start thinking my tranny is being weird.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:02 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-body-mod.html

Tons of threads if you search and only a qualified mechanic can truly answer your question, but I'd start with the Nissan TSB solution kit listed in the link.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:04 PM

No CEL or blinking O/D light. I don't think it's my imagination and if I ignore it I am concerned I may just burn something up. My mom had a maxima years ago 2001 AE that was new, and if memory is correct it was not acting like this at all.

I will take note tomorrow how long the shifts are according to how cold the car is and throttle %.

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by DCZC
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-body-mod.html

Tons of threads if you search and only a qualified mechanic can truly answer your question, but I'd start with the Nissan TSB solution kit listed in the link.

Thanks for the link.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:27 AM

Alright, I spoke to the PO of this TCM that I have and he said he actually did test it and it worked fine with no goofiness in his car.

Shifts are lethargic after the trans warms up at part throttle. They are slow at WOT all the time. The 1-2 seems the worst.

When the trans was cold shifts were firm and positive. As the trans got hot they got soft. I also noticed it took me really stomping on the gas to get it to downshift to 1st at a 5mph roll this morning. I am going to go ahead and check the TPS tonight.

I have seen some reference to MAF voltages. I did change my maf without having the dealer reprogram the car. While I know I should, unless someone thinks this is a likely scenario I will put that off until last.

Thanks for the help everyone. I know these threads pop up with some regularity. I have come up with a lot of good info searching as well.

Evan
Old 02-29-2012, 08:19 PM

Still working on this one. Installed a newer "updated" TCM just in case. That fixed my crap downshifts but didn't do much for upshifting. I did check my dropping resistor which is fine. Next logical step trans solenoids? Adjust the bands? I see lots of mention of shift kits but I am hoping to fix the problem not mask it accidentally.

Thoughts?

Thanks