5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Man our cars hate the cold weather when cold starting!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 03:20 PM
RussMaxManiac

Man our cars hate the cold weather when cold starting!!

I don't get it with Nissan's. They are really sensitive when the weather gets really cold. Shifter hard to shift (even with MT-90. Can't get it into 1st or R easy. Even 2nd shifts are hard. Touchy clutch, and car has a touchy gas pedal as well....hhehehee..

Oh well!

Old 01-01-2002, 03:46 PM

Hmmm....I think my Max kicks *** in the cold weather...the Stillen intake likes the cold air, especially when I start the car up.
Old 01-01-2002, 03:51 PM

hmmmmm...my car had a hard time too. I started it and it bogged down. Then I cranked the key again and the rpms dropped and stayed under 1000rpms, and after it warmed up it went back to normal.
Old 01-01-2002, 04:14 PM
PhatGuy

Re: Man our cars hate the cold weather when cold starting!!

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
I don't get it with Nissan's. They are really sensitive when the weather gets really cold. Shifter hard to shift (even with MT-90. Can't get it into 1st or R easy. Even 2nd shifts are hard. Touchy clutch, and car has a touchy gas pedal as well....hhehehee..

Oh well!
Don't you live in Texas? I live in the coldest capital city in the world! I even have a block heater installed. I don't know too many Max owners (especially with 01+) with block heaters! If I didn't have a manual I would get an auto starter installed. (yes I realize I can have one installed but like leaving it gear on top of the hand brake when parked)

It is 9 degrees (F) outside right now! It is going to be -10 (F) later this week. Now that is cold!

PS With wind chill it gets damn cold!

Old 01-01-2002, 04:17 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Man our cars hate the cold weather when cold starting!!

Originally posted by PhatGuy

Don't you live in Texas? I live in the coldest capital city in the world! I even have a block heater installed. I don't know too many Max owners (especially with 01+) with block heaters! If I didn't have a manual I would get an auto starter installed. (yes I realize I can have one installed but like leaving it gear on top of the hand brake when parked)

It is 9 degrees (F) outside right now! It is going to be -10 (F) later this week. Now that is cold!

Yea but its gonna be in the 20s tonight. heheheheh!

Old 01-01-2002, 04:19 PM
PhatGuy

Re: Re: Re: Man our cars hate the cold weather when cold starting!!

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

Yea but its gonna be in the 20s tonight. heheheheh!
Once my car is warmed up it runs extremely well! Very fast out on the highway fo' sho' !

Damn cold = damn fast!

Old 01-01-2002, 04:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Darn, why do you live there, It sounds horrible. I thought it was cold here in New England{30F now}.
Old 01-01-2002, 04:52 PM
Got Bent?

26 F here right now... teens in the morning....

taking empty twisty roads to work =
Old 01-01-2002, 04:55 PM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
26 F here right now... teens in the morning....

taking empty twisty roads to work =
Yea, as soon as my car reaches somewhat warm, the car hauls butt!!! But try entering a entrace ramp with your car sitting all day at work, and your work is right off the access road of a busy freeway!! LOL! We just moved (work) and I was having a bit of trouble getting going smoothly! I think I might idle for a while at work before I leave to let it warm up more than my usual 15-30 sec.

Old 01-01-2002, 04:59 PM
Got Bent?

definitely don't punch it when the engine is cold.... I keep it under 2.5k - 3k rpm when the temp gauge is showing no reading. I would just let it warm up in the parking lot a little longer
Old 01-01-2002, 05:02 PM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
definitely don't punch it when the engine is cold.... I keep it under 2.5k - 3k rpm when the temp gauge is showing no reading. I would just let it warm up in the parking lot a little longer
Yea. I was shifting under 3k, but the car being cold, that was making it shift rough.

Old 01-01-2002, 05:07 PM

After car is warm, and its night time with a temp of 20, nothing sounds better than WOT with the stillen intake. Well i shouldn't say that, a S/C would sound nice too
Old 01-01-2002, 07:10 PM

Guide to a perfect cold start

Originally posted by DieselFX82
hmmmmm...my car had a hard time too. I started it and it bogged down. Then I cranked the key again and the rpms dropped and stayed under 1000rpms, and after it warmed up it went back to normal.
You have to slide in behind the wheel, caress the dashboard, whisper nice things to your max, turn the key, and then she will come to life with a roar.

I live in MN, y'all have nothin' on this. We had a max gathering last weekend, the temp topped out at 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

Lemme tell ya, there is nothing like sitting down in cold max and hearing the springs crack loose from the ice that has formed on them. It goes BLAM! Damn scary noise. Thank God I don't have to park outside very often...but unless your garage is heated and insulated, garages don't help much either.

The first winter with my max, the temps started dropping and I noticed my car idled at <600 rpm when I would cold start it, and the engine would kill if I put it into drive before letting it warm up for five minutes. The dealer did an easy reprogram and I have not had a cold start problem since. VRA-VRA-VROOOOM, every time.

But ya gotta whisper to it.
Old 01-01-2002, 10:12 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by emax95

Darn, why do you live there, It sounds horrible. I thought it was cold here in New England{30F now}.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=85319

Very clean, safe and beautiful city! It is Canada's Capital and is also the Hi Tech Mecca of Canada.

Old 01-01-2002, 11:13 PM

how much did engine block heater cost/installed?
Old 01-02-2002, 03:41 AM

Originally posted by costcowholesale
how much did engine block heater cost/installed?
It comes standard on Canadian Maximas. So there is no cost.

Stereodude
Old 01-02-2002, 06:52 AM

Winter Forecast

I've noticed that my max definitely pulls more with the colder air. I haven't really linked the problems starting to the temperature though. Sometimes the thing doesn't want to turn over when it's 95 out or when it's 20.

As a meteorologist, I can tell you that you'll be in good shape if you live in the northern tier of states. The forecast is for below normal temperatures this winter from Upper Rocky Mountain states to the Northeast and for above average temps in the southwestern states. Everybody else near normal.
Old 01-02-2002, 07:24 AM

Re: Winter Forecast

Originally posted by steelymatt
I've noticed that my max definitely pulls more with the colder air. I haven't really linked the problems starting to the temperature though. Sometimes the thing doesn't want to turn over twhen it's 95 out or when it's 20.
Too bad the tires get harder when it's colder reducing your traction. Makes taking advantage of that extra power from the cold difficult.

Stereodude
Old 01-02-2002, 07:25 AM

We got our '02 Max SE last week and my '00 Alty SE has been sitting dormant in the garage since then. I got in to take it to work this morning and it wouldn't even start up. I've never had that problem with any of my Nissans, even after being away for a week on vacation or something, so not sure why it gave up the ghost. Maybe it's just sad that I favor the new Maxima so much more now.
Old 01-02-2002, 11:03 AM
PhatGuy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Man our cars hate the cold weather when cold starting!!

Originally posted by Stereodude
It comes standard on Canadian Maximas. So there is no cost.

Stereodude
Actually it isn't standard since most of the Maxima owners I know in this country do not have them. I know a lot of guys locally who didn't get them installed either. So I'm not sure where you are getting your info.

Old 01-02-2002, 11:36 AM

Oil

Originally posted by DieselFX82
Maybe you car bogged down because the oil is too thick for cold weather. What weight are you using ? Lighter is better for the cold months.
Old 01-02-2002, 11:48 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Man our cars hate the cold weather when cold starting!!

Actually it isn't standard since most of the Maxima owners I know in this country do not have them. I know a lot of guys locally who didn't get them installed either. So I'm not sure where you are getting your info.
Yeah I don't know where I'm getting my eroneous information from either... Oh yeah... that's right... I'm getting it straight from Nissan.

http://www.nissancanada.com/eng/cars.../features.html

Stereodude
Old 01-02-2002, 01:50 PM

We just had one of our coldest nights this winter (-27C) and my 2k2 started with just a twist of the key. I never use the block heater unless I know it's going below -35 and I'm not even using synthetic oils yet. I try to let it warm up for a minute before launching it though...
Old 01-02-2002, 02:32 PM

I'm with Spartan on this. I gets "Sub Cold" in MN. I have noticed the performance on my 01'SE has increased (no mods) but my "windows" have slowed way down when I roll them up or down. Almost like they don't want to move.
Old 01-02-2002, 03:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Man our cars hate the cold weather when cold starting!!

yeah I don't have it in my 99 GLE & thats as loaded as you can get in 99. So how $$ did it costed?
Old 01-02-2002, 08:58 PM

Hahaha, agreed.

Originally posted by Ollie
I'm with Spartan on this. I gets "Sub Cold" in MN. I have noticed the performance on my 01'SE has increased (no mods) but my "windows" have slowed way down when I roll them up or down. Almost like they don't want to move.
The windows are pretty pathetic in arctic temps. I roll up to the drive thru at McD's or the bank teller and roll the window down...and the teller and I watch the window go down like it's sinking in quick sand...she laughs and I roll my eyes. The dealer has been absolutely no help on this one at all.
Old 01-03-2002, 06:31 AM

Re: Hahaha, agreed.

Originally posted by Spartan5

The windows are pretty pathetic in arctic temps. I roll up to the drive thru at McD's or the bank teller and roll the window down...and the teller and I watch the window go down like it's sinking in quick sand...she laughs and I roll my eyes. The dealer has been absolutely no help on this one at all.
It seemed like when I bought the car last March they didn't have this problem but since the Oct. time frame, they've been getting slower and slower - almost to a stop.
Old 01-03-2002, 10:23 AM
PhatGuy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Man our cars hate the cold weather when cold starting!!

Yeah I don't know where I'm getting my eroneous information from either... Oh yeah... that's right... I'm getting it straight from Nissan.

http://www.nissancanada.com/eng/cars.../features.html

Stereodude
Well as you know the Maxima has been out for 21 years now in in other words there are a lot of Maximas on the road. And I don't know anyone personally who has a block heater installed on their Maxima from the factory (there might be?). As you can see there are other Canadians on here asking about them as well. I'm sure there are others with block heaters I just don't know them. A buddy of mine with an AE didn't get one either. I will ask my three 2K2 6spd friends after work for you? Maybe the 2K2 have them but not the prior 20 years...

Update: Just talked to Paul D. and he said the cord was kinda behind the battery. And only found it when he removed the air box to install his Stillen Intake.

The block heater issue in Canada is hit and miss. Some people got them some people didn't. I will check with all the 2k2 guys. I think the dealer install them rather than stock from factory. Would be interesting to find out since a lot cars aren't getting them.

Old 01-03-2002, 11:03 AM

tip for cold starts

in cold weather (or anytime)..

turn your key and don't start your car. Wait about 10 seconds. Then start the car.

When you turn your key, the pumps and stuff get power. If you just start your car it may take a few seconds for the fuel to pump into your injecors..give it a try..works for me.
Old 01-03-2002, 11:05 AM

I can't relate to this thread living in San Diego
Old 01-03-2002, 11:49 AM

My Canadian AE has one. It on the drivers side fairly well hidden but it's there.
Old 01-03-2002, 12:08 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by KanataMax
My Canadian AE has one. It on the drivers side fairly well hidden but it's there.
Hey check out the Canadian Roll call at:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=85319

A buddy of mine got an AE at Graham Nissan and it didn't have a block heater. I got my AE at Walkley and it did. This is interesting...

Old 01-03-2002, 12:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Man our cars hate the cold weather when cold starting!!

Well as you know the Maxima has been out for 21 years now in in other words there are a lot of Maximas on the road. And I don't know anyone personally who has a block heater installed on their Maxima from the factory (there might be?). As you can see there are other Canadians on here asking about them as well. I'm sure there are others with block heaters I just don't know them. A buddy of mine with an AE didn't get one either. I will ask my three 2K2 6spd friends after work for you? Maybe the 2K2 have them but not the prior 20 years...

Update: Just talked to Paul D. and he said the cord was kinda behind the battery. And only found it when he removed the air box to install his Stillen Intake.

The block heater issue in Canada is hit and miss. Some people got them some people didn't. I will check with all the 2k2 guys. I think the dealer install them rather than stock from factory. Would be interesting to find out since a lot cars aren't getting them.
There better be one on my 2002 6 speed that I bought from the dealer in Toronto. Nissan says it's standard and I want to see it. (although I can't say that southern michigan is that cold, but I still want it.)

Stereodude
Old 01-03-2002, 12:15 PM
PhatGuy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Man our cars hate the cold weather when cold starting!!

There better be one on my 2002 6 speed that I bought from the dealer in Toronto. Nissan says it's standard and I want to see it. (although I can't say that southern michigan is that cold, but I still want it.)

Stereodude
Ya just ask(remind) them before you pick up your car. I think the dealer installs these vs direct from factory.

Old 01-03-2002, 01:32 PM

Mine came from Graham with the blocker heater. Odd.
Old 01-03-2002, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by KanataMax
where exactly is it on the driver side?? maybe mine is hidden too
Old 01-03-2002, 02:19 PM

I am not good with the fahrenheit to celsius conversion when it comes to negative numbers.

Here today it is about + 5 celsius, so 41F. A few days ago it was -22. Now that is cold
Old 01-03-2002, 06:48 PM

My 00 SE 5speed runs really well, even in bitter cold. After I get it started, that is. Sometimes it almost does not want to turn over. I am going to try turning the ignition on for a few seconds before cranking it tomorrow. Oh, and I am in an insulated garage.

As for tires, I run Blizzaks in the winter, which love cold pavement. So traction isnt that much of a problem. They spin like hell above 50F though.
Old 01-03-2002, 06:54 PM

Re: Oil

Originally posted by jopa

Maybe you car bogged down because the oil is too thick for cold weather. What weight are you using ? Lighter is better for the cold months.
I'm using 10w-30 and Spartan5, I blew it some kisses and whispered some nice things and it worked started right up. thanks.
Old 01-03-2002, 07:07 PM

I'm pretty sure our GLE came with a block heater, but where exactly is it?? This just occured to me now.

What does the block heater look like and how do I use it??

Thanks.

btw, you Southerners haven't experienced cold starting, until you try starting a car in -30C!!

Quick Reply: Man our cars hate the cold weather when cold starting!!