5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Broken Y-pipe at flex pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 02:53 PM

Broken Y-pipe at flex pipe

So last night when going out for a little run, my car got unexpectedly louder... got on it in second and it was screaming all of the sudden. After getting it home and havin a look, broke at the front of the y-pipe that's only a couple months old.

It's actually a cattman, and it pisses me off since I paid $500 after shipping for it, but I really don't wanna go through the whole shipping PITA. Do you guys think I have to replace the flex section, or can I reconnect it to the y section somehow? I only ask because it's not corroded or torn really, it just looks like it pulled out.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:00 PM

Pictures are the only way you're going to get a decisive answer. If it's brand new, contact brian and see if he will cover the costs to have it repaired locally.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Pictures are the only way you're going to get a decisive answer. If it's brand new, contact brian and see if he will cover the costs to have it repaired locally.
Agreed I heard the flex sections are kinda weak but think they got at least a 1yr warranty if not mistaken, guess ill be checking mine here and there...GL keep us posted...
Old 01-11-2012, 06:12 PM

That sucks, for sure. First thing I would do is call Brian.
Are your motor mounts & exhaust hangers in good shape?
Old 01-12-2012, 10:08 AM

Hangers and mounts are in good shape, I'm really not sure how it happened. I don't think pics will do any good, it's completely disconnected at the front of the flex, it only took a light tug to fully remove it, and the end that disconnected dosent really look torn or damaged to bad. The whole exhaust system is off the car, and im def not drivin it like that so I guess the next step is to contact Brian.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:48 PM

Probably was too tight on the flex section, like when you installed it did you have a little play on the flex or was it just tight, people say perfect fitment and all that but some have problems I was one with my exhaust didn't mind much but when you pay that pretty penny your like ****.....GL...keep this updated to see what Brian has to say...
Old 01-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Banned

Ive noticed when doing the last few max exhaust systems that most aftermarket systems are made to use the oe cat or same brand as exhaust cat.take for instance i have a megan exhaust and a fastcat when all bolted up i had to strech the flex section so after it ripped loose the first time i went and got 2 1/2" vibrant exhaust flanges and used them as spacers.i have sense corrected the issue by getting a magnaflow SS cat and custom fitting it to work oe cat is 14" space needed with megan exhaust 16.5".so you may have been stressing the flex.so unbolt everything and let it lay at the unstressed location then measure between ypipe and catback.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:59 PM

I just put a 2.5" Cattman axel back on and holy christ all mighty was the fitment good, better than stock for f sakes!

I now truly understand why everyone gives him such high praises, his exhausts are simply the best there is.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:29 PM

I just put a 2.5" Cattman axel back on and holy christ all mighty was the fitment good, better than stock for f sakes!

I now truly understand why everyone gives him such high praises, his exhausts are simply the best there is.
Maybe cause Axel Back....

Here are some pics from Me had Headers and Fastcat on then tossed back on the 3'' Exhaust and the **** was on the heatshield, before on other 03 Max wasnt that bad but didnt have Headers so now it pushed it more back.....All Cattman products from Headers-y-pipe Fastcat and 3'' Exhaust, still love this system but had to pay 40 bucks to a Muffler shop to Fix....

Old 01-14-2012, 06:35 PM

The guy said if I do the clamp on hanger on bottom picture it will put a sh1tload of tension and soon will rip the flex section...when it was just the exhaust it was about 1/4 to 1/2 inch away from the shield but still not centered....
Old 01-14-2012, 11:24 PM

3" is much tougher too. The 2.5" fit's so well. I dun care I'm happy it looks great. If I was keeping the car I'd do the rest of the exhaust, that flat spot behind the cat is BRUTAL!
Old 01-15-2012, 06:46 AM

I just emailed brian as I finally got time, so we will see what his ideas are.

To anyone who has had experience with this: any idea how this is repaired, do I need a new flex section(it's not corroded or torn) or can it be reconnected and how? Also generally what kind of costs would I be looking at from a muffler shop to do these type of repairs. Normally I would do my research and tackle this myself but my tiny garage is full of sleds, and my snowy driveway isn't to appealing right now. Input is appreciated as always, thanks brothers
Old 01-15-2012, 07:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brl24
I just emailed brian as I finally got time, so we will see what his ideas are.

To anyone who has had experience with this: any idea how this is repaired, do I need a new flex section(it's not corroded or torn) or can it be reconnected and how? Also generally what kind of costs would I be looking at from a muffler shop to do these type of repairs. Normally I would do my research and tackle this myself but my tiny garage is full of sleds, and my snowy driveway isn't to appealing right now. Input is appreciated as always, thanks brothers
get you a new SS flex section make sure its lined look up vibrant exhaust then search amazon for the size you need.if your not good with welding a shop should charge about $40 to do this.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:58 AM

I used the Vibrant Performance Turbo lined flex section on my customized Headers for my 3rd Gen Maxima and the turbo-lined flex section is an over engineered piece for a N/a car......I ordered my thru sportcompactwarehouse.com or use amazon.com....
Old 01-15-2012, 08:18 AM

3" is much tougher too. The 2.5" fit's so well. I dun care I'm happy it looks great. If I was keeping the car I'd do the rest of the exhaust, that flat spot behind the cat is BRUTAL!
Are you selling you car with the Cattman rear section on there....
Old 01-15-2012, 12:31 PM

You mean these (2) crimped spots?

Old 01-15-2012, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
Are you selling you car with the Cattman rear section on there....
Yuuup. I had to fix a busted flange at the rear of the B pipe anyways, and the ugly old muffler tips have always bugged me. It looks great now. Lines right up with the Stillen rear lip rather than being inset like stock

Originally Posted by CMax03
You mean these (2) crimped spots?

YES!! My god that's terrible! I'm having a hard time not dealing with it now that I've looked at it closer, it's robbing so much from my car
Old 01-26-2012, 12:39 PM

Little bit delayed here, I've been really busy, but here's where I'm at. Brian emailed me back saying that I can send the pipe to him and he will fix it free of charge, but I just don't have the time to ship this thing and wait and all that nonsense. Ive called all the muffler shops in my area(custom and non), most of which wouldn't even quote me to remove and replace. It's not like I can drive all around town letting everyone look at it for a quote, with it sounding like a NASCAR and having the power of a golf cart. The best quote I did get was $300... fffffffff that, they think everyone is a moron.

So looks like I'm doin this myself, not what I wanna do in the middle of winter but it is what it is. I'm just waiting to order the new flex, but have never done this so my knowledge is minimal. From my inspections of the flex that is currently attached, it looks like the end attaches to the pipe by going over the outside of the it and being welded on the end? If that's the case, I should be able to just grind off the weld bead, and it should come out, no?

Next ill need the flex pipe, I know it's 8" long bu can't measure the ID/OD of the pipe yet (since the end of the flex is still in there), I think it's 2.75". I have someone who can help me do the welding, so putting the new one on shouldn't be a problem. Any insight from those who have done this is appreciated
Old 01-26-2012, 12:44 PM

Yuuup. I had to fix a busted flange at the rear of the B pipe anyways, and the ugly old muffler tips have always bugged me. It looks great now. Lines right up with the Stillen rear lip rather than being inset like stock

YES!! My god that's terrible! I'm having a hard time not dealing with it now that I've looked at it closer, it's robbing so much from my car
Oh wow thats intense.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Brl24
From my inspections of the flex that is currently attached, it looks like the end attaches to the pipe by going over the outside of the it and being welded on the end? If that's the case, I should be able to just grind off the weld bead, and it should come out, no?

Next ill need the flex pipe, I know it's 8" long bu can't measure the ID/OD of the pipe yet (since the end of the flex is still in there), I think it's 2.75". I have someone who can help me do the welding, so putting the new one on shouldn't be a problem. Any insight from those who have done this is appreciated
I'm not by any means well versed on this, but I should think you can just get someone to weld this together. Find someone with Stainless rod for a TIG welder. Don't expect to pay less than $100 for the repair.

We get hosed in Canada for everything bro. Cheaping out will only lead to it rotting or leaking later down the road, especially with the salt beating the crap out of it. Paying less 90% of the time means you're getting someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

Is Brian willing to cover any costs? Even something under $100 at least to recoupe a bit of your expense, whether that be shipping expense or repair?

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 01-26-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:39 PM

I haven't asked bro, I'm gonna email him later and see what he says. Whatever I do has to happen this weekend, cus I haven't had my car for way too long
Old 01-26-2012, 03:43 PM

Yeah I hear you. I think you're going the right route trying to just rectify it.

If it broke right at the weld though, it doesn't make sense to me to replace the flex section, just get it cleaned and re-welded and call it a day.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:45 PM

It didn't break at the weld, the actual flexible piece came right out of the part that welds to the pipe.

I still have my stock y, that's in usable shape but was welded to the cat. So when I went to put my cattman on I had to cut it off, and weld a flange on the cat. So to use my stock y I would just have to weld a flange on it, then I could send my cattman back to Brian... Hmmm
Old 01-26-2012, 06:42 PM

^ if the flex section is busted I'd consider doing that man. If he's going ot cover shipping.

If not, then replace the flex section, they're cheap. I have one in my basement that's about 2.25" you can have it. I don't know if it's stainless though.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:45 PM

^^^That's what I would do. I'd try to negotiate some shipping deal as well. It's not fair to you that it failed in like 3 months.
Sounds like a faulty flex section, unless there was undo stress on it, in which case the flex would not be @ fault and you'd have to remedy the situation b4 installing the new flex.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:51 PM

So I just got the pipe back from cattman, haven't seen it yet since I am at work but I'm sure it's noice. I have some high temp ceramic coating I'm gonna put on tonite, but I have a question for this who have done this: it seems silly to coat the flex section as I think it will just flake off, although with the Canadian winters it would be nice to protect it some how. For anyone who has had there y-pipes coated, was the flex section done as well?
Old 05-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I used the DEI high temp exhaust coating. I sprayed my flex section as well and it has held up well thus far.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:04 PM

That's all I need to hear man, thanks
Old 05-18-2012, 09:17 PM

I assume that you had to foot the bill for shipping to and from?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:56 PM

Coating turned out nice, it was VHT flat aluminum ceramic header coating, about $15 Canadian and I can prob do my whole catback with it as well. As for the repaired y being back on, sweet Jesus its so nice not having an exhaust leak anymore. The quality and fit of the cattman are spot on, combined with gutted cats, it's back to being quiet but powerful and has a nice rumble at idle.

Brian repaired the pipe under warranty and paid the return shipping, so I only paid $45(with the $400 insurance) to ship from Ontario, Canada (plus $62 when ups dropped it off, some bs charge I will be looking into tomorrow, we get hosed here in Canada).

It took some time but either way, I'm very pleased with this pipe again.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:27 AM

Yea, brokerage fee. I just got a bill in the mail for brokerage fees for my recently purchased catback. I hate UPS.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:41 AM

Yea, I'll be paying some more soon when I order my eBay catback. I just don't understand how they can charge me for something that I'm not buying, and that I already paid "brokerage fees" on when I did buy it, it was a facking warranty repair.

As for the catback set-up, I'm sure I'm gonna hate the muffler on that eBay beauty, so I plan on doing something similar to what you did spock. I'll either have my stock muffler or a G muffler welded on, and then some fancy tips to finish it off I know you hinted towards me hearing it in person (I'm in Barrie by the way), but did you ever get a sound clip made? It's gotta sound pretty with the mandrel piping and the G muffler.