5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

OEM vs Aftermarket alternators

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 07:22 PM

OEM vs Aftermarket alternators

The dash Brake and battery light came on a few days ago and the alternator finally gave out today. Ive searched but didnt see a thread comparing the quality of aftermarket versus OEM alternators. Courtesy nissan sells them for 263.34, which is quite steep. I was wondering if anyone had terrible experiences with remanufactured or aftermarket alternators? Input is well apreciated
Old 01-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Banned

well i was a rebuilder for many years alt/starter and water pump.it all comes down to how many reclaimed parts they used IMO using reclaimed bearings is a problem waiting to happen.rectifiers and regulators are a so/so issue everyone reuses them if they can the biggest problem is the stator/rotor and bearings.too much air gap between the rotor and stator causes high rpm turn on and lower output amp at idle.see if you can find a local rebuilder here is one in jersey:732-727-4486 give them a call they can test replace only what needs to be replaced and if you go that route get new bearings!
Old 01-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

For what's it's worth, I had the alternator on my previous 99 replaced with a Bosch rebuilt. The first one the garage installed ( I had no time to diy) seized within a minute of restart, but the second was fine until I was rear-ended 2 years later. I have a rebuilt (source unknown) on my present 02 that was installed in June 09 by the last owner, and it's been fine. I see $125 +40 core online from another source I use .. Courtesy's at $265 is a rebuild also, and I'm pretty sure it's an outsource rebuild. Personally, I'd either buy online or go local if the price is competitive-exchange is easier in case of a problem.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:23 AM
Get Off My Lawn

I've had good luck with local rebuilders. They are smaller and seem to take greater care/ do better work than the mass rebuilt peices from auto stores. I've consistently found that the small rebuild shops are cheaper as well, and they offer similar warrenties.

But, when one is stuck needing their car, it is easier to just pull the old and take it to Autozone for replacement. Limited down time.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:33 AM

I had bad experiences when I had my Honda. Alternator went bad (after 185k miles..ORIGINAL) and had to replace it. Went ot Autozone...bought a rebuilt Duralast alternator (forgot how much money...not more thna $100) lifetime waranty. Had mechanic install it because on the Honda it was under the engine and you actually have to remove the driveshaft to get to it. SUCKS! But anyway drive it around for about 2 months....charging system light comes on. Have it checked and its the alternator BAD....so I have a lifetime warranty (part only not labor for mechanic) and replaced it with another Autozone DURALST piece for free. Paid mechanic and he installed. This time mechanic told me that rebuilt alternators, especially Duralast was garbage and WHEN, not if, this one fails buy a new one from dealer. So drove the car about 3 months this time...charging system light AGAIN! Had it checked and it was alternator piece of CRAP!!! This time went to Honda dealer and paid like $260 for one and had mechanic put it in. I got rid of the car at 256k miles on it and alternator NEVER gave me any problems! So my experience get NEW alternator...not that re-built GARBAGE!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:28 AM
Banned

i've worked for both types Big as in BlueChip,Excel Automotive,SJS Automotive and small ones getting it done right doesnt really mean going to a small place.larger places sometimes just swap all soft parts because price/cost is less then testing labor and teardown but you do loose quality in the output %.i say goto a local rebuilder get it done right!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:39 AM

I'd go for a rebuilt one. I mean when you buy an aftermarket used/rebuilt you're basically taking a gamble. Try to find one with about a 1yr warranty and you should be good.

I mean it's not a 100% that the OEM will be the best choice but the aftermarket is a cheap and effective way of not paying the OEM price. Choose the one that gives you the longest one just incase. Good luck man
Old 01-16-2012, 08:59 AM

I got mine from advanced auto parts with lifetime warranty. I believe OEM offers 1 year warranty so even if mine breaks sometime later, it will cost 70% less to fix.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:40 AM

Bosch Reman. $122 from Arizona Autohaus. I've installed literally hundreds of Bosch Reman starters and alternators. Never once had a warranty claim. Not one. And even if it does go bad, Bosch offers roadside assistance, hotel stay, meals, etc, if you're out of town when it happens.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:28 PM

Seems like a good spot to ask the question since we are comparing ALL max alternators. Are there any that provide a greater amperage output than others?
Old 01-16-2012, 02:03 PM

i've had very bad experiences with aftermarket rebuilt alternators and starters. I always tell customers that its a matter of how long it'll last till you need to swap it out. I found a distributor who sells brand new alternators and starters at great price. He claims it comes from the same factory that sells the starters to nissan. On the case of the starters, they even have the nissan logo in the casting just don't have the name "nissan" printed. I've always insisted on these new parts. They are a bit more that rebuild, cheaper than from the dealership. I have never had one come back for a warranty replacement.

I would recommend getting a good used oem part from a junk yard for like $30-$40 bucks or spend the extra cash and buy the brand new quality parts.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Banned

The factory that supplies Alt/starters is Hitachi NO OTHER! as far as casings they are WAI forgings trust me i know oe quits making parts for starters and alt's 2 years after original production of the model number.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:39 PM

after considering all the info i decided to get it rebuilt. Sure enough the guy that rebuilds alternators near me left a few months ago. So i then decided to head to the local auto parts store. It was $114 after the core is brought back. wasnt expecting the alternator to go but since it did replacing the belt is also highly advised.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 02max245
after considering all the info i decided to get it rebuilt. Sure enough the guy that rebuilds alternators near me left a few months ago. So i then decided to head to the local auto parts store. It was $114 after the core is brought back. wasnt expecting the alternator to go but since it did replacing the belt is also highly advised.
if you didnt start yet go spray the tensioner nut right NOW! also when you change it be very careful of the oil cooler hard line that runs below the a/c compressor most of the time its so rusted it leaks just looking at it. to be safe get you a 2ft piece of heater hose and 2 clamps from the autoparts store just in case.read the post on here about changing the alt you do not need to remove the rad or fans just be careful and if your jacking it up please use jackstands.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by cjandura
if you didnt start yet go spray the tensioner nut right NOW! also when you change it be very careful of the oil cooler hard line that runs below the a/c compressor most of the time its so rusted it leaks just looking at it. to be safe get you a 2ft piece of heater hose and 2 clamps from the autoparts store just in case.read the post on here about changing the alt you do not need to remove the rad or fans just be careful and if your jacking it up please use jackstands.
iam doing it tomorrow before i leave for school. Thanks for the tips. Iam sure it wont go as easy as planned lol.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:32 PM

I am on my 5th autozone alternator in less than 2 years. Yeah you get warranty, but sucks having to deal with the ****. I can change it in 15 min now, from all the times iv done it. so invest in quality part. OEM.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:31 PM

Tensioner nut is worst part of job. I end up taking car to mechanic because was not able to remove that nut.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally Posted by ffcbairn
Seems like a good spot to ask the question since we are comparing ALL max alternators. Are there any that provide a greater amperage output than others?
You can have your stock unit wound for higher output.
There was a company where you could get these new, but I couldn't find the info.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:20 PM
DAP

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
I had bad experiences when I had my Honda. Alternator went bad (after 185k miles..ORIGINAL) and had to replace it. Went ot Autozone...bought a rebuilt Duralast alternator (forgot how much money...not more thna $100) lifetime waranty. Had mechanic install it because on the Honda it was under the engine and you actually have to remove the driveshaft to get to it. SUCKS! But anyway drive it around for about 2 months....charging system light comes on. Have it checked and its the alternator BAD....so I have a lifetime warranty (part only not labor for mechanic) and replaced it with another Autozone DURALST piece for free. Paid mechanic and he installed. This time mechanic told me that rebuilt alternators, especially Duralast was garbage and WHEN, not if, this one fails buy a new one from dealer. So drove the car about 3 months this time...charging system light AGAIN! Had it checked and it was alternator piece of CRAP!!! This time went to Honda dealer and paid like $260 for one and had mechanic put it in. I got rid of the car at 256k miles on it and alternator NEVER gave me any problems! So my experience get NEW alternator...not that re-built GARBAGE!!!
I had the same problem with my CRX. I always bought Honda parts but skimped on the alternator to save money. A few years later the alternator only intermittenly charged the battery. The deep discharge ruined my fairly new battery plus I ended up going to the dealer to get a new alternator.

You save now but end up paying later. The dealer alternators are totally rebuilt, good as new. Most of the lower priced one's at the auto store, they diagnose them and just replace whats bad.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:34 AM

would a new napa alt be good, made by rayloc?
Old 11-23-2012, 11:59 AM

I would trust a used original part over a new rebuilt part, im happy with my 2006 56k miles murano alternator in my 2003 maxima
Old 11-23-2012, 02:53 PM

I ended up getting a cheap off brand alternator from a local parts store, 110.xx dollars. Its been almost a year and so far no problems.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:01 PM

Got a completely brand new one of Amazon for 115.00. I brought a remanufactured one first and it was defective. got money back and went new...No problems
Old 11-24-2012, 05:43 PM

I used autozone one on my car and has been working great. Lifetime warranty too
Old 02-06-2013, 02:20 PM

I just bought a Rebuilt Duralast from Autozone with lifetime warranty. It cost 160.00 with core exchange. It works perfectly fine. Its a Hit or Miss with Autozone but sometimes it all comes down to how much money you have to spend.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:34 PM

My latest alternator is from O'Reilly's. It's a 100% rebuilt unit, with new bearings, brushes, etc. Only the casing itself is the reused part. Lifetime warranty, and I also have one of their starters (lifetime warranty) as well. So far, so good.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:44 PM

ok nobody has mentioned this but i feel that a used OEM unit is better than a NEW aftermarket unit, so i always try to find a low mileage OEM unit. i just put a 50k OEM nissan alternator in my maxima and it works great, been about a year but ive installed duralast starters in cars that never even fired up once.

OEM USED > NEW AFTERMARKET
Old 02-09-2013, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by DjHackStyle
ok nobody has mentioned this but i feel that a used OEM unit is better than a NEW aftermarket unit, so i always try to find a low mileage OEM unit. i just put a 50k OEM nissan alternator in my maxima and it works great, been about a year but ive installed duralast starters in cars that never even fired up once.

OEM USED > NEW AFTERMARKET
That's a true statement......I've got a used 2003 altenator that I'm keeping for a rainy day.....