5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just installed ES mounts

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 03:51 PM

Just installed ES mounts

So I had my ES torque mounts installed on my car this morning and the vibration that occurs when the brake is applied in gear or when I'm in park is quite bad, my review mirror shakes. How can I remedy this? From what I've read, there should not be that much vibration. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:57 PM

You have an AT or MT?
Old 01-16-2012, 04:12 PM

Based on his post I think it's safe to say A/T.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:28 PM

AT would be correct. Shifts are definitly better, but the vibration is crazy
Old 01-16-2012, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by kbcnd
AT would be correct. Shifts are definitly better, but the vibration is crazy
Damn I wonder what it could be got my ES inserts in box waiting for a day off to get em pressed in with some other suspension parts to install....
Old 01-16-2012, 04:46 PM

I know it may not sound logical, but drive the car hard for the next few days. They will break in a little quicker.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Banned

i'm wondering what the person that installed them did because we all know that the ES mounts do not fit the AT motor mounts.unless the OP had a set of MT mounts with him for the install.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:55 PM

I agree with TallTom as I have had my ES mounts and sub bushing in for well over a 1 1/2 and at first yes there was a noticeable increase in the vibration at idle but once you started to move it was gone. I really don't even notice the slight increase in vibration anymore ... So give them a week or so to brake in and of course the slight increase in vibration was well worth it when I consider the fast improvement in the engine torque being delivered straight to the wheels and ground.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:58 PM

Aftermarket mounts you always get some sort of a vibration. My poly mounts are the same way you will get use to it
Old 01-16-2012, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by cjandura
i'm wondering what the person that installed them did because we all know that the ES mounts do not fit the AT motor mounts.unless the OP had a set of MT mounts with him for the install.
It does help to have a very cleaver good friend toolie (Ray kight_yyz) that lives only minutes away from me ... he fashioned an insert which he pressed into my front mount to allow the ES bushing to fit

But you are correct one would need to use manual mounts for fitment
Old 01-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ghost_54
It does help to have a very cleaver good friend toolie (Ray kight_yyz) that lives only minutes away from me ... he fashioned an insert which he pressed into my front mount to allow the ES bushing to fit

But you are correct one would need to use manual mounts for fitment
That is some great work he does.i like the sleeve's he did for you.i'm going to be picking up a set of his mounts as soon as the little bugs are worked out.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Banned

i just hope someone didnt just slip the ES mounts into place on the OP's AT mounts and have them all moving around loose that would be slimey!
Old 01-16-2012, 05:07 PM

He most definitely has a gift, I have been following his protype thread with great interest and I have no doubts whats so ever that he will come up with a new design for the tranny side mount ... his work has always been top notch
Old 01-16-2012, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by cjandura
i just hope someone didnt just slip the ES mounts into place on the OP's AT mounts and have them all moving around loose that would be slimey!
That most definitely would be a concern if his mechanic attempted to reuse the original front mount on the AT as they don't make an ES bushing big enough to fit it without fashioning an insert like Ray did on mine ... hopefully the OP picked up a front manual mount before the install and he just needs to brake them in a little
Old 01-16-2012, 05:20 PM

That most definitely would be a concern if his mechanic attempted to reuse the original front mount on the AT as they don't make an ES bushing big enough to fit it without fashioning an insert like Ray did on mine ... hopefully the OP picked up a front manual mount before the install and he just needs to brake them in a little
the rear ones are the same on MT and Auto right or are they different also order a front MT one from ebay to knockout and do the ES inserts, I heard they are the same for the rears...Thanks....
Old 01-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Banned

Both my AT mounts were the same size.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
the rear ones are the same on MT and Auto right or are they different also order a front MT one from ebay to knockout and do the ES inserts, I heard they are the same for the rears...Thanks....
The rear mount on my AT was the same as that on the manual ... it is just the front mount on my SE Titanium edition that required the insert or change the front mount to be the same at that used on the manuals.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:31 PM

I jurat installed the knight poly drivers mount insert a week ago. At first the vibration annoyed me enough to consider selling out and putting the stock mount back in but just tonight I noticed that the vibration has died down considerably. I
Old 01-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Banned

The rear mount on my AT was the same as that on the manual ... it is just the front mount on my SE Titanium edition that required the insert or change the front mount to be the same at that used on the manuals.
On my old 03 that was stolen it was an electric mount like the front.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:08 PM

I had knight_yyz fashion the mounts for me and I had a shop press the inserts in. So I know it's not the mounts. I was wondering if there was a "break in" time. I'll drive hard and see if that helps. I read a post earlier about someone with a similar issue. He did idle relearn and that improved it. Is that logical? Or worth a shot?
Old 01-16-2012, 07:20 PM

I had knight_yyz fashion the mounts for me and I had a shop press the inserts in. So I know it's not the mounts. I was wondering if there was a "break in" time. I'll drive hard and see if that helps. I read a post earlier about someone with a similar issue. He did idle relearn and that improved it. Is that logical? Or worth a shot?
Did he have to do the same for the rear one or no? On ourtesy says the same part number but I will measure tomorrow the rear if I can...
Old 01-16-2012, 07:25 PM

No. Only the front had a sleeve. The rear just looked cleaned out.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:36 PM

Changing the soft OEM rubber torque mounts for a set of poly urethane ES mount which are very firm (hard) is going to increase the engines vibration transfer to the cars frame that is simply a given, an idle relearn is going to little to soften the vibration transfer. Changing the torque mounts is done to eliminate the engines forward and backward movement which assists in transferring the torque straight to the wheels and ground and to assist in eliminating wheel hop. Once you are in motion you really should feel no excessive vibration (I feel no vibration when in motion) at idle there will be a slight amount of vibration, at first when mine were installed it was very noticeable but after a few days days I barely noticed it.

OEM mounts are soft and designed to absorb the vibration, on our AT we have an electronic front mount that softens at idle and then becomes firm when in motion ... poly urethane mounts are firm all the time which is why there will always be that increase in vibration at idle ... I still have to say give the new install a few days to settle in, like any new install one feels the effects straight away sometimes good and sometimes not as expected always best to allow the new install to settle in before making a full assessment.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:38 PM

Give it some time.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:46 PM

well I now know what to expect when I have my ES mounts installed in my car
Old 01-16-2012, 07:51 PM

No. Only the front had a sleeve. The rear just looked cleaned out.
Did you also change all the smaller sub bushing that are where the cross member bolts go through that reattaches it back up under the engine?

I also replace these smaller bushing with ES ones which would also increase the vibration transfer, but as i stated above after a day or two of driving it really was not that noticeable anymore.

Last edited by Ghost_54; 01-16-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:57 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Is increased NVH after polyurethane mount install really a surprise to some? Also, I've never owned an AT Maxima but I still know the teeth-jarring reviews at idle. It'll get a little more tolerable after a few weeks, but it's not going to be smooth again.

This thread strengthens my belief that not all mods are for all people.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:04 PM

^^^ agreed which is why I said some mods work very well and as expected while others do what they are meant to do but with less desirable results than expected.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:07 PM

i did replace the subframe bushings as well. I did my research before getting these installed and the consensus seemed to be that little to no vibration increase was noticed. So it did surprise me when I started the car and the rear view mirror looked like it was having a seizure. I did expect some increase in vibration due to the stiffer mounts, this much was just unexpected. I'll give it a few weeks and see how things play out; I'm sure part of it will just be the mounts settling in and me settling in and meeting in the middle. I'm also about to change all of my plugs, so that may help some as well. I appreciate all of the help yall!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:27 PM

My rearview rattles but thats from my sound system . The only people that would benefit from urethan bushings are people in the north that have to deal with salt and rubber deteriorating faster than normal. I have always used rubber bushings because I think the urethane bushings are kind of a joke and meant to rip people off honestly.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:52 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
My rearview rattles but thats from my sound system . The only people that would benefit from urethan bushings are people in the north that have to deal with salt and rubber deteriorating faster than normal. I have always used rubber bushings because I think the urethane bushings are kind of a joke and meant to rip people off honestly.
What a chain of absurd statements.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:24 AM

WOW??? ES bushings a rip off?? Dam, then I got ripped off having better shifter feel from my ES shifter bushings, and ripped off again from the subframe and motor mount bushings not allowing my engine to move up and down during acceleration. Then I got ripped off again when I installed the control arm bushings because my car handles better now........yeh....a real rip off. then again I live up north so thats the only reason I'm benefiting from them....
Old 01-17-2012, 06:45 AM

i did replace the subframe bushings as well. I did my research before getting these installed and the consensus seemed to be that little to no vibration increase was noticed. So it did surprise me when I started the car and the rear view mirror looked like it was having a seizure. I did expect some increase in vibration due to the stiffer mounts, this much was just unexpected. I'll give it a few weeks and see how things play out; I'm sure part of it will just be the mounts settling in and me settling in and meeting in the middle. I'm also about to change all of my plugs, so that may help some as well. I appreciate all of the help yall!
The results vary. Cars with manual transmissions experience less vibrations for they idle in "neutral" at lights which is a higher RPM than idling in "drive" like an Auto trans car. You will see a decrease in vibration over time so give it some time.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
WOW??? ES bushings a rip off?? Dam, then I got ripped off having better shifter feel from my ES shifter bushings, and ripped off again from the subframe and motor mount bushings not allowing my engine to move up and down during acceleration. Then I got ripped off again when I installed the control arm bushings because my car handles better now........yeh....a real rip off. then again I live up north so thats the only reason I'm benefiting from them....
I don't live up north but I guess I'm getting ripped off too...how dare I keep the engine from moving and transferring more power to the wheels...im so ashamed LMAO
Old 01-17-2012, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
Damn I wonder what it could be got my ES inserts in box waiting for a day off to get em pressed in with some other suspension parts to install....
No press needed...Cut in half like a shockeye bushing and insert bolt bushing!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by nelledge
This thread strengthens my belief that not all mods are for all people.
True words, nelledge.

OP, things will get slightly softer over time. Similarly, you will become accustomed to the new normal over time. Personally, it was such a rush for me getting solid poly mounts years ago, I could barely contain my excitement (). Honestly, I love it. Just about my favorite mod.

If you think poly mounts give you NVH, stay away from the NWP Torque Link. That will freak you out, man.

I have always used rubber bushings because I think the urethane bushings are kind of a joke and meant to rip people off honestly.
That was so stupidly ignorant... it deserves dome kind of dumbass award.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester

That was almost as stupid as this dude at the meetup talking about he swapped out his 95 Integra motor for an 89 Civic motor and claim police pull him over because its SOOOOO fast...LOL.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:23 PM

Had mine for about 4 months and I don't even remember what stock was like. You'll get use to it + they'll break in.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
ok then you tell me the advantages if your so smart. Longer lasting? why? rubber is fine and I just replaced my 16 year old bushings and they didnt even need replacing. Cheaper? no not at all. More readily available? Certainly not you can get moog bushings at your local auto parts store. So tell me why is it stupid to say urethane bushings are a waste of money unless you track your car for more than just fun? In the north where rubber deteriorates faster? Its probably a better solution yes but urethane is far from necessary. Next your gonna tell me why royal purple is the best oil for my car and how e3 spark plugs are the real deal too lol.

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 01-17-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:44 PM

Great to know to that they'll break in and I'm sure I'll get used to it. I absolutly love the change in the amount of torque going to the wheels. With the old ones I could tell the engine was rocking back and fourth and bouncing all over the bay, such a huge difference.

Quick Reply: Just installed ES mounts