5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th vs 6th gen planing on buying advice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:12 PM

5th vs 6th gen planing on buying advice!

Hi i am new to the forums and new to cars in general. I am planing on buying me a car and so far through all the search i have done, i decided to go with a nissan maxima as my first car.

Most of my friends that drive have nissan maxima 5th and 6th gen, i've sat in both 5th and 6th and i like them both. Personally i would want newer generation just because it is newer. However i am debating. I currently have $4,000 CASH to spend to buy a car.

I was thinking to buy a car around 100,000 miles, however i do not know if it is a right decision. I need all info i can get about this car and where to look for one. I currently live in new york city and i am looking to buy a car that is not from the city and preferably driven by a grandmother that maintained the car in a dealership ! how ever it is highly improbably since i have been searching craigslist for about a month and haven't found a deal that seems appealing to me.

I was doing search on this forum and haven't found much information besides how to install parts and etc. Didn't see much pricing information and part pricing, maintenance, and life expectancy for 5th and 6th gen in particular.

Also there are different maximas such as SE, GLE and i am not sure if there is any other ones, if any one can tell me differences please. I heard that SE means sport package however it was a drunk conversation and i'd like to hear from others as well.

Waiting for reply, thank you guys !
Old 01-16-2012, 07:16 PM

5.5 gen with 6mt. (2002-2003)

Old 01-16-2012, 07:22 PM

I highly doubt you'll fing a 5th or 6thgen maxima with low milage for 4K, good maitainence and serviced by the stealership. Maybe 6-7K. Go for the 5thgen first but if you do find a good deal on the 6th you should be nice.

Not sure if you're into the manual or auto but you'd definitely want to look for the 6thgen or earlier because the 6.5gen doesn't come in manual. You'll get what you pay for so it's about hoping and keeping your fingers crossed that you get a car with a good engine and tranny for your budget. Good luck man
Old 01-16-2012, 07:23 PM

a 6th gen in the $4k range probably has lots of issues...look for a 5th gen(2000-2001) or 5.5 gen
Old 01-16-2012, 07:32 PM

i do not want manual transmission since i live in nyc. How much it costs to replace transmission ?
Old 01-16-2012, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by niknyc
i do not want manual transmission since i live in nyc. How much it costs to replace transmission ?
Then you definitely should be swaying to the 5.5gen or 6thgen 6spd manual transmission. Honestly I couldn't tell you how much a tranny cost because I haven't replaced mine. Got a 04 SE 6spd with 213K on it and I haven't had a single problem there.

My only major issue is the rattling from the tensioners, which is normal on the VQ's after a while. Doubt i'll do the belt, I'll just wait till it blows and get a engine with low mileage
Old 01-16-2012, 07:39 PM

5.5 gen
Old 01-16-2012, 08:29 PM

is it good for the 1st car ? how reliable it is
Old 01-16-2012, 08:37 PM

for that price, n the mileage you might be only limited to a 00-03... me personally would search for a 6th gen, just for future tuning capabilities
Old 01-16-2012, 11:46 PM

my vote is 5.5 gen, there are a ton of members here with 5.5 gens with well over 100K, these cars will run forever if you take care of them.
you are not going to find a decent 6th gen for $4k, stick with a 5.5 gen, its an awesome car, like someone here said, if you would find a 6th gen with low miles for 4k, there would be something wrong with it, unless you got lottery lucky...
and yes the SE is the sports edition, the gle is the more luxury edition, the se has a more stiff/sport suspension and the gle will come in leather always, while its an option with the se
the auto should have a 5th gear since its only 4 but its a killer trans, you wont have to worry about replacing it
btw, just found this on craigslist
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/ctd/2790696002.html
and
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/ctd/2794547843.html
cash talks and i think you'd be able to get those prices down to 4k
good luck man, you wont regret a max
Old 01-17-2012, 06:09 AM

I would say 5 or 5.5 gen. It is your first car. Spend as little as possible because you will beat it up, especially in NYC. IMO, parts are a little more expensive on a maxima than lots of other cars. Do you plan on working on your own car? Or basics like oil changes and brakes? This is a great car that can last a while but it is important that you are willing to keep up with it and perform preventative work. Sounds like you have much to learn. This site will help you a lot. Just be willing to work a little.

I suggest you get the GLE btw. Go for comfort instead of a stiffer suspension in NYC.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:13 AM

at my post being deleted.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
Then you definitely should be swaying to the 5.5gen or 6thgen 6spd manual transmission.
My only major issue is the rattling from the tensioners, which is normal on the VQ's after a while. Doubt i'll do the belt, I'll just wait till it blows and get a engine with low mileage
First, he says he DOESN'T want a Manual tranny and you recommend a manual tranny?

Second, the automatic Maxima tranny is more reliable than the Manual is.

Third, your car doesn't have a timing belt, it has a chain. You should be doing the tensioners, as it's not a hard or costly job, swapping an engine however, is, especially if you have to deal with the downtime of not having the car.

My $0.02 to the OP: Don't buy a maxima for your first car. Buy a civic, neon, etc. Your first car will get the crap kicked out of it because you're just learning to drive, where to park, etiquite, etc, etc. Also you're just learning about things like how and when to check your oil, how to maintain a car, checking brakes and tires, learing how much a car ACTUALLY costs to drive, and so on. As much as anyone here will tell you that the Maxima is a great choice (it really, really is a great choice for a vehicle), it's not the best first car In MY opinion. A cheaper Maxima would do you best as a second or third car.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 01-17-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
First, he says he DOESN'T want a Manual tranny and you recommend a manual tranny?

Second, the automatic Maxima tranny is more reliable than the Manual is.

Third, your car doesn't have a timing belt, it has a chain. You should be doing the tensioners, as it's not a hard or costly job, swapping an engine however, is, especially if you have to deal with the downtime of not having the car.

My $0.02 to the OP: Don't buy a maxima for your first car. Buy a civic, neon, etc. Your first car will get the crap kicked out of it because you're just learning to drive, where to park, etiquite, etc, etc. Also you're just learning about things like how and when to check your oil, how to maintain a car, and so on. As much as anyone here will tell you that the Maxima is a great choice (it really, really is a great choice for a vehicle), it's not the best first car In MY opinion. A cheaper Maxima would do you best as a second or third car.

that 2nd is not accurate..you must not have seen thread in teh 6th gen subforum with them trying to sue nissan for the ****ty transmissions that the 04-06 i believe, 6th gens dealt with...the 6th gen manual trans are ok, but i'd personally...get a 5.5, if i got another nissan..but like i said in my POST THAT WAS DELETED

my heart isnt w/ nissan

at the end of the day...i'd almost vouch to agree..but i kinda almost disagree..ALMOST...when i was returning my car to stock and going through it to make sure everything was ok and replacing components...i come to realize, at least the 5th gen...the car is pretty simple to work on. only big job i did was the valve cover gaskets...it took me longer than usual because i didnt know about the 4 'hidden bolts' and when i found out my hand was almost too big to get to them..but after i got that out...it was pretty much a breeze. w/ that said...its not bad to maintain...only big cost aside from possible trans failure are the coilpacks and those go out one by one. not to mention there are always part outs so you can always get a used set of coilpacks. granted on the 5.5, replacing coilpacks and plugs are more difficult than the 5th gen...guess i'd go back to 5th gen if i had a choice. but the 3.5 is more fun..

Last edited by phatboislim; 01-17-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
that 2nd is not accurate..you must not have seen thread in teh 6th gen subforum with them trying to sue nissan for the ****ty transmissions that the 04-06 i believe, 6th gens dealt with...the 6th gen manual trans are ok, but i'd personally...get a 5.5, if i got another nissan..but like i said in my POST THAT WAS DELETED

my heart isnt w/ nissan

at the end of the day...i'd almost vouch to agree..but i kinda almost disagree..ALMOST...when i was returning my car to stock and going through it to make sure everything was ok and replacing components...i come to realize, at least the 5th gen...the car is pretty simple to work on. only big job i did was the valve cover gaskets...it took me longer than usual because i didnt know about the 4 'hidden bolts' and when i found out my hand was almost too big to get to them..but after i got that out...it was pretty much a breeze. w/ that said...its not bad to maintain...only big cost aside from possible trans failure are the coilpacks and those go out one by one. not to mention there are always part outs so you can always get a used set of coilpacks. granted on the 5.5, replacing coilpacks and plugs are more difficult than the 5th gen...guess i'd go back to 5th gen if i had a choice. but the 3.5 is more fun..
I knew someone was going to chime in on that second comment. I was directing that more at the 5th gen trannies, as the 6th gen seems to be a pipe dream for the OP considering his price range and expectations. In that respect, the automatic is surely more reliable. Anyone who argues that isn't examining life to overhaul costs, repair costs, down time, etc, etc. The 5 and 6 speed manuals are great trannys, but they're not as reliable as the Autos in the 4th and 5th gen.

As far as the rest, this car is not horridly complex to work on, but not easy either. For a beginner with absolutely NO knowledge, it's very, very far from he easiest car to work on. You have to remember Slim, you've got a decent amount of mechanical knowledge compared to most. And you actually have some level of common sense that most do not.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:50 AM

that last comment made me feel intelligent in regards to cars for a second lol

but one last rebuttal...5speed manual trannies arent as bad as 6th gen auto trannies, but they arent the best either. at the end of the day, especially w/ the manuals..you just have to remember that nissan's "4 door sports car" theme..is BS lol..if it wasnt, they wouldnt have issues...not to mention its common in nissan manuals across the board to have transmission issues. before my transmission went on my 5th, the guy that lived across from me had a 6 speed 350z..had the same noise (failed transmission) he got rid of it before the trans failed...i saw a ad on a G35 on a local forum..actually two G35s...'throw out bearing noise' but at the end of the day..trans failure. nissan/infiniti's are luxury cars, so to speak to be handled delicately for the most part. at least in the regards to transmissions. the engines are stout as hell
Old 01-17-2012, 07:25 AM

I agree the Nissan is a great car but not a great first car, and you won't find a decent one with 100k miles or less for $4k dollars. I would get a Honda Accord or something else as a first car. This is my second Nissan the first being a 97 SE manual and the only issues I had with it were the alternator and starter, and I drove it like I stole it. Earn your wings ******* out a Honda or Toyota, (I hate seeing trashed Maximas) and call it a day.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:30 AM

Psh what does that mean bro? My first car was an 5.5 6 speed and i drive it daily in queens man. Manual transmissions are built to take more abuse, and the 03 maxima gave the least issues out of the whole 5th gen range, from the statistics seen. 02-03 is the way to go, 6th gems give so many issues. Search the org, there's a thread with guys trying to file a lawsuit against Nissan because of transmissions going bad on them.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Maxgig
I agree the Nissan is a great car but not a great first car, and you won't find a decent one with 100k miles or less for $4k dollars. I would get a Honda Accord or something else as a first car. This is my second Nissan the first being a 97 SE manual and the only issues I had with it were the alternator and starter, and I drove it like I stole it. Earn your wings ******* out a Honda or Toyota, (I hate seeing trashed Maximas) and call it a day.
good luck ******* out a toyota
Old 01-17-2012, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by clintb3astwood
the 03 maxima gave the least issues out of the whole 5th gen range, from the statistics seen.
Really?

everything I've ever seen points to the 2001 maxima as the most reliable. Proven VQ30 with all the bugs worked out except for that silly IACV valve. They fixed the starting and alternator issues that plagued the 4th gen.

The 5.5 burns oil infamously, and based solely on that it's a bit of a gamble when purchasing a cheap one with higher miles and lack of good service records. there's tons of blown engine threads, etc. You just DON'T see that in the 5th gen.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by BigLou55
a 6th gen in the $4k range probably has lots of issues...look for a 5th gen(2000-2001) or 5.5 gen
Winner.

My $0.02 to the OP: Don't buy a maxima for your first car. Buy a civic, neon, etc. Your first car will get the crap kicked out of it because you're just learning to drive, where to park, etiquite, etc, etc. Also you're just learning about things like how and when to check your oil, how to maintain a car, checking brakes and tires, learing how much a car ACTUALLY costs to drive, and so on. As much as anyone here will tell you that the Maxima is a great choice (it really, really is a great choice for a vehicle), it's not the best first car In MY opinion. A cheaper Maxima would do you best as a second or third car.
Runner Up.

OP, Tuner is giving you good, grown-up advice. You're new to cars, and you live in NYC. Buy a reliable beater for the next year or so (Honda Accord), then reassess where your priorities and finances are.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:45 AM

he could come pick up my 5th gen for $2800 before Feb...
Old 01-17-2012, 08:52 AM

Really?

everything I've ever seen points to the 2001 maxima as the most reliable. Proven VQ30 with all the bugs worked out except for that silly IACV valve. They fixed the starting and alternator issues that plagued the 4th gen.

The 5.5 burns oil infamously, and based solely on that it's a bit of a gamble when purchasing a cheap one with higher miles and lack of good service records. there's tons of blown engine threads, etc. You just DON'T see that in the 5th gen.
Well, there's a site I went to and it shows statistically the common issues in cars. From the trim make make models and year. For example when I was thinking of buying the 03 g35, it showed 127 issues compared to the 04 which had like 76. There was a chart and it showed a bar graph and the 03 had the lowest. Now the 04-05 Omg lol. Don't even get mr started on the American cars, they were in the thousands lol. Maximas in general give issues with crank position sensors, cam position, coil packs, maf, a/c compressor failure which I have seen alot in the 5th's valve cover leakage, and so on so fourth. Though the 3.5 engines burn oil they are still good but those 3.0s can take a serious beating. You can boost one with no engine build and it can take it, now the 3.5....well.....lol :x at most 5lbs. But not to deviate from the point, just do research on common issues these cars give so if they do arise its not a shocker Mr OP.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:55 AM

^Well said. Althouth the 3.5 is no joke either. It's just more of a gamble if it's not watched like a hawk, especially if boosting.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:56 AM

i think you're only gonna get one answer to this question in the 5th gen forum...
Old 01-17-2012, 03:11 PM

great guys keep the tips coming, so far after this thread i am thinking on nissam maxima GLE 2002-2003 however will do more research. I appreciate for having ya'll here !
Old 01-18-2012, 11:23 AM

I don't understand why people are claiming that a Maxima isn't a "good first car" one bit, but whatever.

Given your goal of around $4k I would look for an 00-01 to increase your chances of getting a quality first car. There is no reason to be concerned with trying to find a car with under 100k miles, the 3.0 will last far beyond that kind of mileage with ease.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:38 AM

^ to address this:

Civic/equivalent compact/midsize:
Cheap on gas, insanely reliable, very cheap to repair, parts are very cheap, tires are cheap, easy to work/learn on. Extremely common so parts are available and everyone knows how to work on them. Cheap to buy with low miles, easy to drive, park, manouver, etc. Quick response handling and braking, safe. No real power.

Maxima:
lots of power for a first car, especially if he gets the 5.5. Torque steer, understeer, poor handling, insufficient braking, hard to park/manouver. Parts are mid-range for cost, tires are more expensive, big ticket items are more expensive, more parts to break, more electronic issues, expensive on fuel, even at 27 MPG that some members claim, it's expensive to put petro in this car especially if you DRIVE it.
Inexpensive car in the market it's in, but you'll still be stuck getting something older with higher miles, and that compounds into more expensive to run/repair and more likely to break down and need repair.

I love the maxima, I chose it again and again when comparison shopping. As we all love this car. It's a GREAT car. But the 5th gen and up just isn't great for a first car.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:50 AM

great guys keep the tips coming, so far after this thread i am thinking on nissam maxima GLE 2002-2003 however will do more research. I appreciate for having ya'll here !
That seems to be a good car for NYC. I have an '02 SE with aftermarket springs that are slightly stiffer than stock. I have to say that some of the roads in Manhattan and Queens make me feel like my fillings are coming out of my head. Sometimes I wished I stayed with the factory SE springs (until I get out onto the NJ turnpike to head back to Philly, then the smooth road makes me forget about it).

If you need service on your Max, whichever one you decide on, there is a great garage up in Uniondale that specialized in Maximas. Since I moved to NYC in August, it's the only shop I will go to.

Also, there is another messageboard dedicated to Max/Infiniti owners in the NYC area. I'm on there with the same name as here. http://forums.nycmaximas.org/
Old 01-18-2012, 12:04 PM

^ to address this:

Cheap on gas, insanely reliable, very cheap to repair, parts are very cheap, tires are cheap, easy to work/learn on. Extremely common so parts are available and everyone knows how to work on them. Cheap to buy with low miles, easy to drive, park, manouver, etc. Quick response handling and braking, safe. No real power.

Maxima:
lots of power for a first car, especially if he gets the 5.5. Torque steer, understeer, poor handling, insufficient braking, hard to park/manouver. Parts are mid-range for cost, tires are more expensive, big ticket items are more expensive, more parts to break, more electronic issues, expensive on fuel, even at 27 MPG that some members claim, it's expensive to put petro in this car especially if you DRIVE it.
Inexpensive car in the market it's in, but you'll still be stuck getting something older with higher miles, and that compounds into more expensive to run/repair and more likely to break down and need repair.

I love the maxima, I chose it again and again when comparison shopping. As we all love this car. It's a GREAT car. But the 5th gen and up just isn't great for a first car.
Ehh, I don't agree with most of your conclusions here but I'll let it be.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:12 PM

I knew someone was going to chime in on that second comment. I was directing that more at the 5th gen trannies, as the 6th gen seems to be a pipe dream for the OP considering his price range and expectations. In that respect, the automatic is surely more reliable. Anyone who argues that isn't examining life to overhaul costs, repair costs, down time, etc, etc. The 5 and 6 speed manuals are great trannys, but they're not as reliable as the Autos in the 4th and 5th gen.
not.
When you said the 5th gen manual trannies are not as good, exactly what/when did it go out under normal driving condition. Is it every 50k, every 100k. Crappy tranny for me is the ones that go out with no apparent reason every 40k like my old accord v6. Mine is at 138k and at cold condition it started to jerk like high gear with low rpm feel.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:15 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

^ to address this:

Maxima:

Well said. To disagree means one of a few things:

A) You are a new driver.
B) You have never matured from being a new driver
C) You live so far out in the sticks you haven't even seen another driver for years, and so don't have a basis for comparison.
D) You've never personally been on a real budget.
E) You're so emotional about cars you are incapable of following simple, procedural logic to determine the best outcome.
F) You are delusional.

There may be some other reasons, but I'm gonna pare them down to these... because I can.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
Well said. To disagree means one of a few things:

A) You are a new driver.
B) You have never matured from being a new driver
C) You live so far out in the sticks you haven't even seen another driver for years, and so don't have a basis for comparison.
D) You've never personally been on a real budget.
E) You're so emotional about cars you are incapable of following simple, procedural logic to determine the best outcome.
F) You are delusional.

There may be some other reasons, but I'm gonna pare them down to these... because I can.
I will say it again because this response is possibly even more absurd than the original you quoted, "I don't understand how a Maxima is not a good first car".
Old 01-18-2012, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by MintVQ35
I will say it again because this response is possibly even more absurd than the original you quoted, "I don't understand how a Maxima is not a good first car".
IDK what's so absurd... Nelledge and Tuner make perfect sense to me.

I'd even go so far as to say, they usually do.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:14 PM

Well I guess I live in a different world where an affordable 220hp sedan with a "Top 10 best Engine", plenty of interior & cargo space, good gas mileage, and decent exterior appearance is "not a good first car".
Old 01-18-2012, 01:14 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Your response is no longer valid. Reference reason C. Kingston, NH???

Originally Posted by Rochester
IDK what's so absurd... Nelledge and Tuner make perfect sense to me.

I'd even go so far as to say, they usually do.
It takes a certain... something...
Old 01-18-2012, 01:19 PM

Well you really got me there I guess huh? I suppose the fact that my location is 40 miles from Boston and I drive there everyday for work is null as well?
Old 01-18-2012, 01:22 PM

I will also come out and say that a 5th gen or 6th gen isn't the best choice for a first car. It's not a bad choice per se, but there are better vehicles to learn how to own a vehicle on. For $4000, you won't get much in a 5th or 6th gen, and any 4th gen you get will also probably be thrashed.

As stated, Civics and Corollas rule that space. Any 4 cyl Japanese car will actually do well, and the rest is preference, and for 4k you'll actually get something you don't need to air out or fix for a while.

Look OP, I don't mean to sound harsh, but you posted that you don't know the difference between SE GLE and so on trim levels. That also would, by extension, mean that details aren't your priorities. I mean, it's all on Google, edmunds.com, vehix.com, or wherever. You posted you're a new driver, and yes, in NY, so that stacks the odds further against you. Screw something up on the car (wheel meeting pothole, mirror hitting something, or tactile parallel parking), and any Maxima will cost a great deal more to make right again.

Simple fact: my 2001 Maxima SE20A costs about twice as much as my 2004 Toyota Matrix to operate. Mileage, and insurance make up most of that difference, although the fact that the 2001 is getting on in years and stuff needs to be replaced once in a while also adds to that cost. I am an old guy with no accidents for 21 years (knock on wood), yet insurance is that much higher. For that, the Max also gives me twice the driving pleasure.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:22 PM

Well you really got me there I guess huh? I suppose the fact that my location is 40 miles from Boston and I drive there everyday for work is null as well?
You commute 400 miles a week in a full-sized sedan?

:metalmax:
Old 01-18-2012, 01:24 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Don't get too serious. I've lived in Lebanon, Nashua, Manchester. I know your location very well. I'm just giving you a hard time. I can almost guarantee that if you're honest with yourself, one of those listed reasons fits. Even if it is slightly exaggerated for humor. Right? C'mon. Right?

Quick Reply: 5th vs 6th gen planing on buying advice!