5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Blacking out grill/headlights/bumber - Sterling mist

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 08:11 AM

Blacking out grill/headlights/bumber - Sterling mist

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about blacking out the headlights/grill on my Maxima, and have a few questions. I have a sterling mist paint on my car, and I think blacking out only the headlights and grill looks odd with that body color...

Sparks03max did this back in '08, this is where I got the pictures below from:

I think it would look better with the bottom portion of the bumper also blacked out. I did some very basic photoshop on this and came out with 2 options. While both look good IMO, I'm not sure which one to go with... What's your input on this?

Option 1:

Option 2:

I'm thinking about using matte paint for the bumper. I don't think a shiny finish would look good.

Last edited by Gizm0; 01-17-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:25 AM

If it were my car. I'd paint the inside of the headlights body colour (Sterling Mist) And install the Malibu clear lenses in the signals. As an alternative, I might consider buying Silver high quality 3D CF wrap. Metrostyling sells good stuff. Get the silver though. Then when you take it apart you can see what it might look like, if it jives, do it, if not, just run with the body colour idea.

The grill I wouldn't touch.

The bumper, I've examined, and IMO, you can't do that properly, it'll look silly. The lines in the bumper don't flow for what you're trying to accomplish. You'd have to follow the curved portion just an inch or so wider than where you did in your 'chop', and that would still look bad.

I recommend A front lip over all options.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:34 AM

Thanks for you input TM3000 That's why forums are good, they allow you to avoid ****ups.

Also, since my windows are tinted silver, and I have the titanium wheels, the black headlights/grill/lower bumper may look out of place?
Old 01-17-2012, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Gizm0
Thanks for you input TM3000 That's why forums are good, they allow you to avoid ****ups.

Also, since my windows are tinted silver, and I have the titanium wheels, the black headlights/grill/lower bumper may look out of place?
post a couple shots of your car as it sits from the front - angle, and straight on.

And NP man, I've been through that sooo many times lol. I was going to do something similar with the rear stillen lip, even planned on installing a trim piece to help break up the paint job so it looked OEM. At the end of the day, it just won't look good in anything but a picture.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:38 AM

Virginia requires a front license plate.

That pretty much screws up your plans for painting the lower bumper, IMO.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:41 AM

Old 01-17-2012, 08:46 AM

Well for me, that locks it up. Get a front lip. It seems like you're finally at the point where you want to do something to spruce up the front of the car. That's what you need man. Nothing else you do will satisfy you that much.

And in my experience, these headlights are too much of a PITA to reseal, they give so many headaches, and while after doing it enough you'll learn to get it right, IMO on your colour, it's just not worth it. Leave them be.

Again, get the lip, and re-evaluate if you want to get into any more up front.

OAN Buffing and clearcoating those lenses will make you fall in love with the headlights all over again. They're due. Cool pic with the retro train too!

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 01-17-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:46 AM

Nice photos, OP. And yes, the 5.5 gen looks so-o-o much better without the front plate. You get no argument from me. Wish I didn't have to have one in NY.

However: http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/c...es/antique.asp
"Unless the vehicle was manufactured for one license plate only, you must display license plates on the front and the rear of your vehicle."
Old 01-17-2012, 08:49 AM

Oh, and 110% do NOT paint your bumper, you'll regret it, trust me it just won't work in real life, those pics just verify it.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Nice photos, OP. And yes, the 5.5 gen looks so-o-o much better without the front plate. You get no argument from me. Wish I didn't have to have one in NY.

However: http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/c...es/antique.asp
"Unless the vehicle was manufactured for one license plate only, you must display license plates on the front and the rear of your vehicle."
I have a WV license plate , and no, i'm not married to my sister so no need to have one in the front.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:52 AM

OP. Where are you in VA? The state requires it but depending on location, you can get away without having one. This is from personal experience.

I would clear the headlights and get a front lip.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:52 AM

I have a WV license plate , and no, i'm not married to my sister so no need to have one in the front.
Profile fail, then.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Well for me, that locks it up. Get a front lip. It seems like you're finally at the point where you want to do something to spruce up the front of the car. That's what you need man. Nothing else you do will satisfy you that much.

And in my experience, these headlights are too much of a PITA to reseal, they give so many headaches, and while after doing it enough you'll learn to get it right, IMO on your colour, it's just not worth it. Leave them be.

Again, get the lip, and re-evaluate if you want to get into any more up front.

OAN Buffing and clearcoating those lenses will make you fall in love with the headlights all over again. They're due. Cool pic with the retro train too!
Thanks! Yeah, my headlights are due for a buffing/clearcoating. I'm waiting for spring time to do that.

Is the eBay lip any good? I like the Stillen alot, but $200 compared to $75 makes me hesitate. Unless I can get the stillen cheaper from somewhere else...
Old 01-17-2012, 08:58 AM

I would save your pennies for a stillen lip. Quality and fitment is much better.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:00 AM

Profile fail, then.
Originally Posted by Shift_Max
OP. Where are you in VA? The state requires it but depending on location, you can get away without having one. This is from personal experience.
I live in Bluefield, VA but still have an address in WV where my car is registered.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:02 AM

The Stillen front lip will look bulbous and ill-fitting on the wrap-around, and will completely cheapen the look of an otherwise awesome car. If all you do is see the lip from the front, then winning. But if you're a detail kind of guy, that design fail will drive you nuts.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:05 AM

Stillen looks better then the Maxtunning lip / replicas which is far worse then the Stillen. In the end, it is all a personal preference. I think the Stillen lip looks great.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:12 AM

The Stillen front lip will look bulbous and ill-fitting on the wrap-around, and will completely cheapen the look of an otherwise awesome car. If all you do is see the lip from the front, then winning. But if you're a detail kind of guy, that design fail will drive you nuts.
Rochester> That's what I'm thinking too... I hate to see cars out there on which the owner added body parts, but it looks unbalanced. It gives it a ricer look...

I feel like if I add a Stillen lip, it will make the front end look heavy and may look like something is missing like side skirts and rear bumper lip... Like you said, it may look great from the front, but looking at the car from the side may look awkward... i'm running out of options...

Looks like the cleanest look will come from clearing the turning signal lens, and maybe replace the orange bumper lights with clear ones, and keep the red bumper lights on the rear...
Old 01-17-2012, 09:24 AM

Well, you already have the OEM Sideskirts. They look great, IMO. It's identical to the AE skirts, but in a one-piece design, rather than two.

Stillen makes a side kit that matches their front lip, but then you completely lose that nice, crisp line, and things get all thick and rounded. It just doesn't work for me, although some people here love it; (as seen through rose colored glasses.)

Smoked marker lenses will look good against your Sterling Mist paint, IMO. Rears, too.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:40 AM

Sterling Mist just isn't the color for the kind of paint mods you have in mind.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:55 AM

Black will go with anything man. You just gotta go with the concept. I mean if you do the grill and the headlight and leave the rims in the silver and the windows untinted then you'll notice it.

Try Satin black, paint the rims same colour, tint the windows and paint the headlight housing to match the concept. Go for it man you'll love it.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:04 AM

The windows are already tinted silver. You can't see it well on the pics I already posted, but see below a pic from when I bought the car. 50% front and 35% rear

Old 01-17-2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
I would save your pennies for a stillen lip. Quality and fitment is much better.
yuuup. Don't buy anything but urethane, it'll just break.

Can someone please post a picture of SM with this setup? I know there are quite a few running it. personally I think it looks fine. Anything without a drop isn't going to look mint, but I don't get the impression you want to go there, at least no time soon.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
personally I think it looks fine. Anything without a drop isn't going to look mint, but I don't get the impression you want to go there, at least no time soon.
And therein lies the separation of taste, because I think most all cars that are dropped look ridiculous. If your eye is irresistibly drawn to the space between the tires and the car for whatever reason, and a critical assessment simply has to be made (sic), then I'd say continuity is key to the ride height. Meaning, an equidistant gap is preferable between the tires and the fender, for as much as the fender's design allows.

Too much... 4x4 .

Too little... clown car.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:09 PM

I think OEM looks just right.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:15 PM

And therein lies the separation of taste, because I think most all cars that are dropped look ridiculous.
I don't want to misinterpret what you are saying here, but do you think the 5/5.5 gen dropped looks ridiculous?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:25 PM

I don't want to misinterpret what you are saying here, but do you think the 5/5.5 gen dropped looks ridiculous?
On OEM 17" SE Rims... yeah, pretty much. On quality 18" rims with a nice equidistant gap, that would look better. 19" rims are a bit of a stretch to pull off well. And anything over 19" is a 3-ring spectacle of silliness.

But overall what I'm saying is that it seems like a nonsense priority. But since priorities are personal, that's just my opinion. And when it comes to dropping your car, I am very much in the minority on the Org. (However, I've also been shaving for three decades, so take that however you want.)
Old 01-17-2012, 12:36 PM
Banned

On OEM 17" SE Rims... yeah, pretty much. On quality 18" rims with a nice equidistant gap, that would look better. 19" rims are a bit of a stretch to pull off well. And anything over 19" is a 3-ring spectacle of silliness.

But overall what I'm saying is that it seems like a nonsense priority. But since priorities are personal, that's just my opinion. And when it comes to dropping your car, I am very much in the minority on the Org. (However, I've also been shaving for three decades, so take that however you want.)
Old 01-17-2012, 12:56 PM

Old 01-17-2012, 12:56 PM

i think i like option 3 ^
Old 01-17-2012, 12:58 PM

Old 01-17-2012, 01:28 PM

Back in the summer there was an ad up in the classifieds for an 02 sterling mist GLE. He put black plasti-dip on the front bumper like in option 1, along with a blacked out grill and wheels. I can't find the thread right now but there were lots of pictures and it and it looked pretty nice IMO. I would go with option 1.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:37 PM

I kind of like that vybz! And I like the plasti-dip idea also. Can it be removed easily? Or once it's on it doesn't come off?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:44 PM

I kinda like option 2- jbut before you make a commitment; ust use plastidip to try it out and if you don't like it- peel it off.

That will only cost you a massive $7-8 and a couple hours.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:07 PM

If it were me, I'd keep the front end completely stock...oh wait it is basically me! Blacked out headlights/grille/bumper just don't do much for me on a Sterling Mist car IMO.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:15 PM

I wish I had a black, or merlot max...
Old 01-17-2012, 02:59 PM

I wish I had a black, or merlot max...
Considering what you're driving, I'm thinking your real regret was not finding that TE in Polished Titanium.

But when buying a used car, things like color become a nice-2-have coincidence. I've been looking for a particular car/color for almost two months now, and if it doesn't work out by Springtime, I'm going to have to compromise.

At which point I'll be taking the advice I'm going to give you right now: appreciate what you have, because it is what it is.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by cjandura

#maximadoneright
Old 01-17-2012, 04:22 PM

^ That's just GORGEOUS!!!!!
Old 01-17-2012, 04:27 PM

^Yeah that's the look I'm going for.... not

Considering what you're driving, I'm thinking your real regret was not finding that TE in Polished Titanium.

But when buying a used car, things like color become a nice-2-have coincidence. I've been looking for a particular car/color for almost two months now, and if it doesn't work out by Springtime, I'm going to have to compromise.

At which point I'll be taking the advice I'm going to give you right now: appreciate what you have, because it is what it is.
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what I have. I love my ride. If I could change two things, it would be the paint color, and also having black leather interior instead of tan leather...

Quick Reply: Blacking out grill/headlights/bumber - Sterling mist