5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tein SS Coilover Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 08:34 AM

Tein SS Coilover Leaking

I have a 2000 SE; bought it with Tein SS Coilovers that have about 10K. The front right is leaking (2 Weeks ago) an today its hitting Really hard on any minor bump...Now I currently don't have any money to fix it but I'd like to know if I wait until summer; are there major problems I'll face? An what are fix prices I've heard anywhere from 150 to 290 for one coilover. Insights?
Old 01-19-2012, 08:42 AM
Got Retrofit?

The coil will start to leak more over time but you won't see any major problems from it.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:44 AM

Will it effect the ride? What do you think are cost to fix it. I just don't wanna ruin these coilovers because I know there expensive and they look good.. I'm in college currently and you know what that means...broke
Old 01-19-2012, 08:47 AM

I am in the same situation with my Tein SS. The shock on the drivers side front has a broken seal so the shock oil is leaking out.
I have contacted Tein in regards to this and they gave me two option. The first one is to remove the shock and send it to them so they replace the seal and put new shock fluid in it or the second option of just buying a brand new shock. My warranty is out already so Tein won't cover the work however they do provide a warranty on their labor/ parts.

I have decided to just buy a new shock which IIRC is around $200 from them. So at this point I really do not care about the current shock since I will just replace it with a new one. But if you plan to send yours out to Tein, that is a different story.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dominicanaso
Will it effect the ride? What do you think are cost to fix it. I just don't wanna ruin these coilovers because I know there expensive and they look good.. I'm in college currently and you know what that means...broke
Read my post but to answer your question, the shock will not be able to dampen properly when it is low on fluid. Most likely when the shock piston compresses, it will not come back up on its own.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:51 AM

I have a 2000 SE; bought it with Tein SS Coilovers that have about 10K. The front right is leaking (2 Weeks ago) an today its hitting Really hard on any minor bump...Now I currently don't have any money to fix it but I'd like to know if I wait until summer; are there major problems I'll face? An what are fix prices I've heard anywhere from 150 to 290 for one coilover. Insights?
I take it you don't have contact with the original buyer?

Tein may offer a discount at minimum on rebuid due to the low mileage, but really, mileage can't be proven so the only thing they could go off is the age of the coilovers, and you need an original receipt for that.

I'd be more likely to assume that the previous owner fed you a line of crap. 10,000 miles for those coilovers is nothing.

In either regard, your problem still exists. DO NOT continue driving it. Your estimates on rebuild costs are accurate. If you let this go even another week you could be looking at complete replacement. The sooner they get it the more parts are salvagable and as such, the less it will cost to rebuild.
Suck it up and send that thing out for repair right away. If you can find a OEM strut in the meantime your Coilovers will adjust close enough to stock height that you can run the OEM strut temporairly. Wreckers should be a good stop for that. this is of course assuming you can't afford the down time.

I'd also contact the previous owner on the off chance that he has more info or the old struts handy
Old 01-19-2012, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
I take it you don't have contact with the original buyer?

Tein may offer a discount at minimum on rebuid due to the low mileage, but really, mileage can't be proven so the only thing they could go off is the age of the coilovers, and you need an original receipt for that.

I'd be more likely to assume that the previous owner fed you a line of crap. 10,000 miles for those coilovers is nothing.

In either regard, your problem still exists. DO NOT continue driving it. Your estimates on rebuild costs are accurate. If you let this go even another week you could be looking at complete replacement. The sooner they get it the more parts are salvagable and as such, the less it will cost to rebuild.
Suck it up and send that thing out for repair right away. If you can find a OEM strut in the meantime your Coilovers will adjust close enough to stock height that you can run the OEM strut temporairly. Wreckers should be a good stop for that. this is of course assuming you can't afford the down time.

I'd also contact the previous owner on the off chance that he has more info or the old struts handy
Some good advice here if he plans to have that current shock rebuilt. However IIRC a shock rebuild is half the price of a brand new shock so its around $100. Plus the downtime you have to send it to California and then wait for it to come back. Personally I would just spend the extra $100 for a new shock and continue to drive on this one. I have been doing so since last fall.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:03 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
Some good advice here if he plans to have that current shock rebuilt. However IIRC a shock rebuild is half the price of a brand new shock so its around $100. Plus the downtime you have to send it to California and then wait for it to come back. Personally I would just spend the extra $100 for a new shock and continue to drive on this one. I have been doing so since last fall.
I would just buy a new one as well.

OP, your ride shall suffer.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:29 AM

It's only one of them an not driving it is not an option Its my only car an its needed for work and school. So replacing the strut will fix it temporarly. In the summer ill just buy a whole new coilover that is if they sell them seperately. But i cant afford anything so i cant suck it up..Will raising it help anything I mean it's low right now?..but thanks for all the advice it helps a lot
Old 01-19-2012, 10:34 AM

Just continue to drive on it and save your pennies for a new shock.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:55 AM

200 for a new shock isn't bad. I just hope to god the others don't suffer because that one is suffering. Difficulty of a new chock installation? Thanks Shift_Max
Old 01-19-2012, 11:04 AM

I would think such expensive CO's would have an individual number on it? some kind of sticker with a production date? Start by calling them but don't mention you bought them second-hand because the warranty might not carry over. not saying Tein would act like this and wash their hands of the COs but would be easier to not mention it unless you have to. my 2c
Old 01-19-2012, 11:26 AM

200 for a new shock isn't bad. I just hope to god the others don't suffer because that one is suffering. Difficulty of a new chock installation? Thanks Shift_Max
You can jack the car up and take a look at the seals on the coilovers. Just pull up on the dustboot and see if the area where the piston enters the shock body is dry.

To replace the shock is simple. Nothing too difficult at all.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
Refresh fail on my part. If a new one is only $200 don't mess around just buy a new one.

I know you CAN drive on it, but it's not safe IMO. Not on the front. Our suspension relies pretty much soley on that strut assembly, you're going to damage other components the longer you leave it. It's hard on the upper strut bearing/mount, wheel bearing, control arm, axel, etc, etc. Not to mention excessive tire wear.

Add to that the safety factor of decreased, uneven braking, handling, etc, etc., and it makes no sense to keep driving it for $200. Buy the part NOW, and drive the car carefully until it arrives and install it immediately.

When you do the install, I recommend you pressure wash and service/lube all the other coilovers, clearly they're due for it.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
I would think such expensive CO's would have an individual number on it? some kind of sticker with a production date? Start by calling them but don't mention you bought them second-hand because the warranty might not carry over. not saying Tein would act like this and wash their hands of the COs but would be easier to not mention it unless you have to. my 2c
2nd owner loses warranty on almost everything. I do know for a fact this applies to Suspension/Coilovers.

However, you'd be very hard pressed to get warranty anyways unless you have the original receipt and it's within a year or two of purchase. And how do they know you're not the original owner if you have the receipt? They don't
Old 01-19-2012, 11:55 AM

the previous owner must of had the car SLAMMED for those struts to blow after 10kish. The Tein Basics were ones that I looked at when developing my goals but I didn't think they could possibly be worth nearly 1k.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:24 PM

Nah the Basics are junk. they're not worth their weight.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:35 PM

It's not slammed slammed and I confirmed it actually has 23k on them an it's not like it leaking bad..I'll take photos it's very slight but I'm the type of person that notices everything. When tax returns come in (soon) ill just buy the shock then an do it; ill call tein an see. An i should buy the shock directly from tein correct..Until then Im crossing my fingers nothing else happens. I'll probably check back into the thread within a few weeks
Old 01-19-2012, 02:50 PM

Ah that sounds' more reasonable.

Good deal man let us know, the difference in temperatures is the hardest thing on them. Lifting the boot and spraying some penetrating oil won't hurt.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:00 PM

If you're going to wait until tax returns then perhaps you can get Tein's Street Advance coils (the replacement for SS).
Old 01-19-2012, 03:04 PM

Well according to him he only needs one shock. No point in buying a complete new set of coilovers.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:25 PM

That's actually what I meant (perhaps I shouldn't have said 'coils'; plural) . If he can get the replacement for the newer model coil then he may as well.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:48 PM

It's $75 for an overhaul build. This includes fresh oil, new seals, and a thorough cleaning. If it needs "extra" parts from damage then they'll assess and the price can hike up to $200. This 'worse case scenario" would be bent pistons, damaged shock body, etc,...

Here's the link. I called for you. Downtime is 14-28 days to the East facility:
http://www.tein.com/service/price_list.html
Old 01-31-2012, 04:53 AM

Im just checking in again, I got part of my tax return and before I go ahead and order the spring..If I replace the shock am I guaranteed to fix this? or Could it be something else..
Old 01-31-2012, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by OOmaxSE
It's $75 for an overhaul build. This includes fresh oil, new seals, and a thorough cleaning. If it needs "extra" parts from damage then they'll assess and the price can hike up to $200. This 'worse case scenario" would be bent pistons, damaged shock body, etc,...

Here's the link. I called for you. Downtime is 14-28 days to the East facility:
http://www.tein.com/service/price_list.html
$75 is not bad but 14-28 downtime is a while especially if it is your only car. And if the shock needs more parts, might as well buy a new one.

Im just checking in again, I got part of my tax return and before I go ahead and order the spring..If I replace the shock am I guaranteed to fix this? or Could it be something else..
What do you mean order the spring? Call them up and see if they have a shock in stock and what the current price is. If your current shock is leaking and you verified it ( raise dust boot and look for fluid where the piston enters the shock body ) you need to have it fixed.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:07 AM

Shock* That's what I meant. I emailed them unfortunately they don't open until 930 -_- anxious to get it and hopefully install it my self...Everytime I hit a pothole my heart sinks to the ground. Have to pay a price to ride low in Maine..
Old 02-01-2012, 08:03 AM

It just needs a rebuild. There's a download form on their site you'll have to fill out and send to them along with the shock (shock body ONLY or they'll charge). This means you'll take apart the upper mount, spring, and perches.

They'll contact you within 2 days of arrival and charge you a $20 non-refundable "service" fee. BUT, if you choose to rebuild it the $20 will credit towards the total cost of the rebuild. Whatever parts it needs they will tell you at the time of the $20 service... and you'll have a brand new coilover.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:16 AM

Actually now looking at the locations of where Tein offers overhaul service, they now have a location on the east coast in Georgia for Tein SS. That was not available before and the shocks had to be sent to CA.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:24 AM

do the tein SA ride as smooth as the SS? I'm looking to purchase a set of SA..