5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Shaved locks for security???

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 07:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Shaved locks for security???

I posted on here the other day that my keys were lost by the performance shop that installed my supercharger..."SUPPOSEDLY"! Since then I've gotten the new keys and gotten them all re-programmed so if somone does try something fishy with the old keys, they wont be able to start the car. Unfortunately, they will still be able to open the doors. Possible solutions...buy all new locks which will run over $700 after install costs, new alarm system or...shaved locks. Question though...since there are only 2 locks on the car (driver's door and trunk), does anyone knkow if its possible to instead of having a body shop shave and repaint the door, to buy a driver's side rear door handle which is identical to the front one except it has no lock, and replace it taking out the stock door handle? Seems like it would save money. The trunk would have to be done by a body shop.... I figure the car is keyless entry anyway, and this will prevent anyone from getting into the car without breaking the glass or making a heck of a commotion prying the door or trunk! Let me know...

Deac
Old 01-02-2002, 07:18 AM

Re: Shaved locks for security???

Originally posted by Deac
I posted on here the other day that my keys were lost by the performance shop that installed my supercharger..."SUPPOSEDLY"! Since then I've gotten the new keys and gotten them all re-programmed so if somone does try something fishy with the old keys, they wont be able to start the car. Unfortunately, they will still be able to open the doors. Possible solutions...buy all new locks which will run over $700 after install costs, new alarm system or...shaved locks. Question though...since there are only 2 locks on the car (driver's door and trunk), does anyone knkow if its possible to instead of having a body shop shave and repaint the door, to buy a driver's side rear door handle which is identical to the front one except it has no lock, and replace it taking out the stock door handle? Seems like it would save money. The trunk would have to be done by a body shop.... I figure the car is keyless entry anyway, and this will prevent anyone from getting into the car without breaking the glass or making a heck of a commotion prying the door or trunk! Let me know...

Deac
Until your battery goes dead from leaving your lights on and the keyless entry doesn't work, or the car decided it doesn't like your remote. Sounds kinda risky.

Stereodude
Old 01-02-2002, 07:20 AM

Re: Re: Shaved locks for security???

Originally posted by Stereodude

Until your battery goes dead from leaving your lights on and the keyless entry doesn't work, or the car decided it doesn't like your remote. Sounds kinda risky.

Stereodude

Forgot to mention I'm gtting a new alarm so the stock remote wont work anymore...
Old 01-02-2002, 07:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: Shaved locks for security???

Forgot to mention I'm gtting a new alarm so the stock remote wont work anymore...
Sounds like you're adding even more risk into the equation there.

Stereodude
Old 01-02-2002, 09:34 AM

Get the shop to pay for the re-key. They lost the thing in the first place.

If you want to shave the key off a 2K it's easy, get a rear driver door handle. The key hole is in the handle assembly. No putty, no paint.
Old 01-02-2002, 09:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Go back, and have them pay for new locks. They're the ones who lost the keys, and now your car is a target for the person with the keys (if they stole them). If shop won't pay for it, take them to court. Just my $.02
Old 01-02-2002, 02:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: Shaved locks for security???

get an upgrade alarm. i worked at a car alarm/video/audio place this summer and i found that the aftermarket remotes are pretty crappy. they MAY have better range but not in my case. i got my nissan factory alarm upgraded and my remote works from hundreds (yes, hundreds) of yards away. but like stereodude said, WHAT IF your battery goes dead or WHAT IF your remote stops working for whatever reason. that may be a problem.
Old 01-02-2002, 03:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Shaved locks for security???

Originally posted by Newman96SE

get an upgrade alarm. i worked at a car alarm/video/audio place this summer and i found that the aftermarket remotes are pretty crappy. they MAY have better range but not in my case. i got my nissan factory alarm upgraded and my remote works from hundreds (yes, hundreds) of yards away. but like stereodude said, WHAT IF your battery goes dead or WHAT IF your remote stops working for whatever reason. that may be a problem.
Going to get a ne alarm tomorrow...teh shop agred to pay for the new key,remote and reprogramming....I xcalled Nissan parts today though and they say you cant use the rear drivers side door handle to replace the stock one! Has anyone actually done this?
Old 10-02-2002, 12:15 PM

Re: Shaved locks for security???

If the shop lost the key how'd you drive it home from the shop in the first place? I guess you had a spare, but still thats very irresposible to leave the car unlocked like that.
Old 10-02-2002, 01:46 PM

Re: Re: Shaved locks for security???

Originally posted by Stereodude

Stereodude
On my 2k1 if I leave the lights on as soon as I remove the key from the ignition even if the lights switch is on the lights goes off.

Cheers

AA
Old 10-02-2002, 02:08 PM

On my 2k1 if I leave the lights on as soon as I remove the key from the ignition even if the lights switch is on the lights goes off.

not the dome light, or any interior light.