5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Beaten by a Civic!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 07:27 AM

Beaten by a Civic!

Happy New Year folks! I have a 2K2 SE and got into a highway onramp race with a 98ish Civic yesterday... and I was soundly beaten! I felt pretty pathetic until I saw the Civic pull over with smoke pouring out of it. I guess sometimes it's better to have a reliable slower stock car than a hopped up unreliable fast car. I still hate being beaten by little four banger hatchbacks though.

Take it easy,
Kerr
Old 01-02-2002, 07:30 AM

Re: Beaten by a Civic!

That civic must have been heavily modified to beat u.

GC

Originally posted by haylo75
Happy New Year folks! I have a 2K2 SE and got into a highway onramp race with a 98ish Civic yesterday... and I was soundly beaten! I felt pretty pathetic until I saw the Civic pull over with smoke pouring out of it. I guess sometimes it's better to have a reliable slower stock car than a hopped up unreliable fast car. I still hate being beaten by little four banger hatchbacks though.

Take it easy,
Kerr
Old 01-02-2002, 07:46 AM
Very sound, Mike

At what speed? Auto or Stick? When did it end? By how much did you get beaten?

Take it easy,
Kerr
Old 01-02-2002, 07:51 AM

Re: Re: Beaten by a Civic!

This person was no doubt running either a Vortech Supercharger or one of the MANY turbo systems available.
Old 01-02-2002, 08:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

he probably had to do "MAD MOD" to beat you, but you'll only do a "LITTLE MOD" to beat him again =)
Old 01-02-2002, 08:47 AM

I beat a Civic on New Year's Eve.

Rolling down 95 and I see a lowered black Civic hatchback with tint, exhaust and wing. Play with him a little and we don't get anywhere. I pull ahead and he gets caught in traffic. Then about 5 minutes later, I see him pull up and start weaving in and out to get away from me. I pull up right on his @ss and then the left most lane opens up. There is enough room for both of us. I pull out first and gun it, O/D off ... and then he disappears. Either he was embarrased that I beat him again or he didn't want to race.

But he really did seem like he wanted a go at it.
Old 01-02-2002, 09:09 AM

I once saw a guy on 95 with a lowered integra with all the mods, and his little cute sticker said "Girl Power"
Old 01-02-2002, 10:02 AM
I'm needing a caw

Probably had NOS, then promply blew the motor. Good Kill! hehe
Old 01-02-2002, 10:09 AM

one almost got me too

I was getting on the highway and one was behind me...I got in the fastlane and started accelerating (in third gear) and he was on my ***...all of a sudden I hear him kick on it and try to pass me...I just gave it gas and got to 100 mph (in third) and he got to my rear passenger door and that was it because the highway split and we were going in different directions but I could'nt believe how quick that little P.O.S. was. I had the wifey in the car too. I think if I would've dropped down to second and kicked it he would'nt have got so close to me but instead I just rolled on in third. That little bastard had to have been modded I would think
Old 01-02-2002, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Probably had NOS
Or a motor swap.
Old 01-02-2002, 10:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Beaten by a Civic!

Originally posted by FastCougar
This person was no doubt running either a Vortech Supercharger or one of the MANY turbo systems available.
hehe..it's ok...judging by the aftermath(smoke coming our from his motor), he was probably running 300 shot of NOS just to beat u!!
Old 01-02-2002, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by Cisco
That civic must have been heavily modified to beat u.

GC
define "heavily".

Good death poster, but remember, for every civic that's faster than you, there's 10-15 civics that you're faster than.
Old 01-02-2002, 11:38 AM
PhatGuy

Re: Re: Re: Beaten by a Civic!

Originally posted by Driven EF9

define "heavily".

Good death poster, but remember, for every civic that's faster than you, there's 10-15 civics that you're faster than.
10-15?? Try 100-150 or even 1000-1500!

Old 01-02-2002, 11:42 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Beaten by a Civic!

Originally posted by PhatGuy

I don't know have you guys been to the import shootouts lately. There are many civics that are in the 9 sec arena. So far I haven't heard of a max doin 9's. Also they civic with the japan spec B16A motors are quite quick too.
Old 01-02-2002, 11:44 AM
I'm needing a caw

If he had a motor swap, he probably would not have blown the engine

Originally posted by madmax2k

Or a motor swap.
Old 01-02-2002, 11:46 AM
PhatGuy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beaten by a Civic!

Originally posted by CIRCO

I don't know have you guys been to the import shootouts lately. There are many civics that are in the 9 sec arena. So far I haven't heard of a max doin 9's. Also they civic with the japan spec B16A motors are quite quick too.
I agree! But look at the statment made! How many civics are on the road and been sold since they were first introduced many years ago? How many of them are mid 14 1/4mile cars or better? Gimme a break!

So he is saying that 6.66%-10% of civics on the road can beat a 2k2 Maxima? ie. assume a 1,000,000 Civics sold.... 66,600-100,000 civics are faster than a 2k2 maxima? That is hillarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-02-2002, 11:47 AM
I'm needing a caw

Great that's about .5% of all the hondas that exist, you will never see 99,9% of these civics on the street and I have raced too many Japan civics here in the States that often.

Again I think the guy had a huge shot of NOS.

Old 01-02-2002, 11:52 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beaten by a Civic!

I agree! But look at the statment made! How many civics are on the road and been sold since they were first introduced many years ago? How many of them are mid 14 1/4mile cars or better? Gimme a break!

Take it easy guy I know they sell millions more. I own a max too mind you. I am just saying there are some badasses out there! I had a R6 and got beat by the Venom CIVIC. Try and get back on the track after that.
Old 01-02-2002, 11:54 AM
Telus.net

Have you guys seen the movies where a Civic hatchback beat a Dodge Viper and another beat the newer Corvette? I got it off Morpheous.

Old 01-02-2002, 11:56 AM
PhatGuy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beaten by a Civic!

Take it easy guy I know they sell millions more. I own a max too mind you. I am just saying there are some badasses out there! I had a R6 and got beat by the Venom CIVIC. Try and get back on the track after that.
Thanks for the insight! I was directing my comments to him (Driven) regarding his statement not you.. sorry! Anyone who believes that 6.66-10% (1:10-1:15) of civics are faster than a 2k2 Max........ i don't even know how to comment on this??

Old 01-02-2002, 11:56 AM

....come on! look at those civic/integras in 9sec 1/4miles...do they look like u can just drive that car everyday? granted, there are some JDM spec civic/integras running turbo/nitrus japanese motor(which does 1/4 in high 12 to low 13s and much more street applicable than those gutted race cars), but comparing Maximas to those 9 sec honda is not fair. Sure! if someone decided to build the VQ motor, supercharge(or turbo) it, intercool it, NOS, gut out the entire enterior, put on race rubbers, put in a racing tranny and get phat sponsors...we'd be into 8s!!!(oh, u don't trust me..well, just remember the 7 sec V6 Ford Foucs by team Hoyos..)
Old 01-02-2002, 11:58 AM
I'm needing a caw

You mean the one w/ a Civic so modded it probably won't last 20k miles without blowing up and the Vette that was probably bone stock, under warranty and will last 150,000 miles?

No I haven't

Originally posted by Telus.net
Have you guys seen the movies where a Civic hatchback beat a Dodge Viper and another beat the newer Corvette? I got it off Morpheous.
Old 01-02-2002, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Telus.net
ooo!!! i know who didn't drive home that night...hehe...the civic probably blew motor afterwards...
Old 01-02-2002, 12:04 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by irvine78

ooo!!! i know who didn't drive home that night...hehe...the civic probably blew motor afterwards...
Like the guy who raced the 2k2 Max in this thread (orignal post).

"WoW guys I beat a 2K2 Max today on the street! I blew up my car but hey man I still won! I guess I won't be able to buy a new collection of baggy *** pants, wooden bead necklace (or fake ice) and a tennis visor that I wear upside down and sideways this month!"

Old 01-02-2002, 12:07 PM

"WoW guys I beat a 2K2 Max today on the street! I blew up my car but hey man I still won! I guess I won't be able to buy a new collection of baggy *** pants, wooden bead necklace (or fake ice) and a tennis visor that I wear upside down and sideways this month!"

Old 01-02-2002, 12:15 PM

How Friggin' True!!!

But Hey you never know, maybe they think they are Sponsored by McClaren,Infiniti, or Cosworth and get a New Engine After Every Race!

Old 01-02-2002, 12:18 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by Empz
How Friggin' True!!!

But Hey you never know, maybe they think they are Sponsored by McClaren,Infiniti, or Cosworth and get a New Engine After Every Race!

Ya right! Thats what happens when club kids that take too much E buy cars! = Rice Civics/Rice Mentality! Or should I say when mom and dad buy them their first car and they put all their Quickie Mart salary into mods and rice.

Club Kids + Too much E + Fast and Furious = New age RICE monsters...

Old 01-02-2002, 12:20 PM

Come on, don't feel that bad. You can beat everyone on the road. Even with my SC, I would lose a race every now and then. However, when my SC is taken out soon, I will be a heck lot slower.
Old 01-02-2002, 12:22 PM
I'm needing a caw

Well, there is a guy with a pretty old civic DX hatch running an endyn supercharger and built longblock. I understand he's putting out about 400 reliable hp. Makes pretty good money racing people. So fast street civics exist and aren't owned by stupid kids.

Ya right! Thats what happens when club kids that take too much E buy cars! = Rice Civics! Or should I say when mom and dad buy them their first car and they put all their Quickie Mart salary into mods and rice.
Old 01-02-2002, 12:25 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Well, there is a guy with a pretty old civic DX hatch running an endyn supercharger and built longblock. I understand he's putting out about 400 reliable hp. Makes pretty good money racing people. So fast street civics exist and aren't owned by stupid kids.

I realize that since the guy who dynoed my car has a 11 second Civic. But there is more riced out Civics than sub 14 second civics that is for sure!

Old 01-02-2002, 12:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Beaten by a Civic!

Sorry, maybe i should exaggerate more:
20-25.

Mind you, I'm only basing it on people who have MODIFED vehicles.

If you notice, there's actually a lot more people who are doing swaps into hondas, mainly cause the price to do one is getting quite cheap. And a hybrid civic/crx/accord can be quite fast. Who knows what the civic had, as the two gentlemen never traded secrets. so, why assume?

too bad the civic was smoking afterwards. Probably a radiator hose or a leaky gasket.

PhatGuy, question: what's your utter dislike towards Hondas without any true knowledge of the vehicles?

I mean, I dislike all hondas short of CRXs and Preludes, but, least i know a good deal about the cars I dislike. You seem to show hatred without knowledge or experience. Just base it on the minority of those who choose to "rice" out their hondas. It's almost to a point of racism, if you ask me. You seem to show hatred towards anyone who drives a Honda. Do you want to talk about this? I can help you.

Let's avoid another Maxima vs. every other car that isn't a Maxima or Honda vs. Maxima thread. They're tiresome and lack interest, especially when no facts are posted by either side.

On a side note, based on a street race:
Some goofy LS1 owner thought it'd be funny to race me and my friend in his z32... well, the LS1 tried to run around me while i was in 2nd gear and he didn't start gaining until after 3rd gear where I let off knowing he would begin putting the hurt on me. Then he raced my friend's z32. That was much more embarrassing as the LS1 had to watch the Z32's taillamps disappear from 90mph-160mph where the LS1 had roughly 6 car lengths behind the Z. I'd never race a Z or a Supra on a freeway, that's asking to be murdered.
Old 01-02-2002, 01:41 PM

On the race itself, I was rolling at 35mph appx. one car length behind the Civic at the beginning of an uphill highway onramp. We both gunned it up the onramp and he pulled an additional car length on me by the end of the onramp (appx 90mph). We encountered some heavy traffic momentarily and slowed to appx 40mph, then gunned it again. This second time around, he pulled appx two car lengths on me, with me ending again in heavy traffic at about 100mph. He obviously over extended his car because so much smoke was pluming from it that it filled my car with the stench of gasoline for half a day.

I've had closer races with stock C5 Corvettes, which is why I'm so peeved about this one. Judging from his exhaust note, I believe he had a four cylinder engine (sounded just like all Civics with the crappy buzzing sound). I would also guess he had an SC as opposed to a turbo because he started out at low RPM and instantly had a lot of power.

I've never been into perfomance modding my cars because of reliability concerns, but this crap makes me want to do at least something.
Old 01-02-2002, 03:34 PM

I would also guess he had an SC as opposed to a turbo because he started out at low RPM and instantly had a lot of power.
Some food for thought, mind you, this is spectulation:
CRVTEC is a pretty popular swap now into civics/crxs. what it is is a 2.0L block with a B16 VTEC Head. The 2.0L block (B20) is typically from a CRV (hence CRVTEC). what this does is create a more torque, and more important, a more usable torque band. A CRVTEC is usually in the 140ft-lbs area in terms of torque rather than the typical 110ft-lbs. Granted, this number is far lesser than any respectable 6 cylinder, and downright embarrassing to a v8. But, you're pushing a 2500lb car around... torque isn't highly necessary.

This could potentially explain why he pulled away from you as he did. But, like i said, it's only spectulation. He could very well have a nitrous system or some other form of power adder. Just don't brush aside the hybrid hondas...they can easily be made to do high 13s, all motor...if the builder knows what he is doing.

I've never been into perfomance modding my cars because of reliability concerns, but this crap makes me want to do at least something.
Why? If you make your car faster, you'll still run into someone who has a faster car. Don't mod your car to just beat cars in street races. There's no fame or glory there.

Remember, there's always a faster car. Whether it be a Turboed Dodge Mini Van, a Ferrari 360 modena, or a honda civic. there's always someone who has spent more money on their car to make it faster.

Like i said, good death. and drive safe!
Old 01-02-2002, 04:03 PM

but you forgot stickers
Old 01-02-2002, 06:41 PM

Take it easy,
Kerr
U remind of a civic revving me at a stop light right before a freeway entrance.....I couldn't believe it! I barely heard his intake of some sorts as my windows were all rolled up...anyway, I merged onto the freeway and took up my lane and waiting for him to get side by side(freeway didn't have much traffic..) I see him coming and I'm at about 50mph in third, he gets aside of me and boom, I floored and he, no kidding here, just kinda dissapeared in my rear view mirror!! It wasn't close.......at least on this day, this little Civic got his @ss whipping..........third gear is the MAN!
Old 01-02-2002, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by 2kseman
sig.
hey, did you notice any gains with the chipped ecu? Also, any dyno runs to show any gain?

Finally, what all did the chip do, just do some better fuel maps?
Old 01-02-2002, 08:12 PM

Take it easy,
Kerr
For this you must be tarred and feathered
Old 01-02-2002, 09:57 PM

Take it easy,
Kerr
MWAHAHAHAHA, and now he has a heavily damaged hopped-up unreliable fast car. True performance is not a one time event, but rather consistency over time. It takes solid engineering to do that. Not just a nitrous bottle.
Old 01-02-2002, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by costcowholesale

but you forgot stickers
And the celly glued to the ear.
Old 01-02-2002, 10:37 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by costcowholesale

but you forgot stickers
Ya sorry forgot those too!

Quick Reply: Beaten by a Civic!