5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Brembo Big Brake Kit for the 5th/5.5 gen maxima

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 05:42 PM

Brembo Big Brake Kit for the 5th/5.5 gen maxima

As many of the members have seen on this forum, there is another option for a Big Brake Kit for the 5th gen and the 5.5 gen maxima.

This kit utilizes 4 Piston Brembo calipers from the Mitsubishi Evolution 8/9 with 6th gen maxima 12.6" rotors. A custom relocation bracket is made on a CNC machine using T6061 aluminium that bolts up to the 5th gen and 5.5 gen maxima knuckle. Stock maxima lines also bolt up the Brembo Caliper so the option of Stainless Steel Lines is also possible. As far as pads go, there are plenty of aftermarket pads that fit the Brembo caliper including Hawk HPS, Hp+, and other pads. No centerting rings are required since the kit using a Nissan Rotor.

Now I am trying to see if there is an interest from the maxima community for a production run of relocation brackets. The end-user will of course source the Brembo calipers from places like ebay or junkyards and etc. Pads and rotors can be bough from places like tirerack or even the group deal section of this forum.

As far as wheel clearance goes, 17" wheels are a required size with the appropriate offset/spoke design to clear the calipers.

I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions in regards to this option. Is there an interest from the community for at least a production run of 3-5 brackets?

Retails value of the brackets is set at $200 for a set that includes OEM nissan studs to secure the brackets to the knuckles and the rest of the hardware. Even though the price does seem kind high, please consider that I do have to purchase aluminium blocks to machine the brackets from.

Here is some more information/threads/pictures in regards to this set-up.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...rembo-bbk.html

Somewhat relevant thread

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...y-5th-gen.html

Thank you for your time and consideration.
-Vas

Discuss

Calipers and brackets

Brackets and caliper installed on a knuckle

Last edited by Shift_Max; 01-23-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:35 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

****...meaner look and better stopping than my 6th gen bbk....and i have the rotors...hmmmmm
Old 01-23-2012, 06:49 PM

Two questions: 1. could the bracket be made to fit another size rotor or is that too hard to change without test fitment? 2. would there be a group deal price if several were interested?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:12 PM

if you could clearly show the additional stopping power to be greater than the outright practicalness of the 6thgen BBK, you may get some interested people.
Originally Posted by Cant_Get_Ryte
****...meaner look and better stopping than my 6th gen bbk....and i have the rotors...hmmmmm
thats a very good point.....all the 6th gen bbk people are one step closer.

Matt should have a clear/honest opinion on this, and you may want to post it the advanced braking/chassis section
Old 01-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Banned

Will the brackets also work with the 300zx calipers? if so i'll take 3 sets.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:13 PM

Those are good questions guys.

1) I would be able to have the bracket modified to fit another size rotor. However for that to happen that would require me having the physical rotor to use as a mock-up. The reason I used a 6th gen 12.6" rotor was because of the price of the rotor, the availability of it from multiple companies, and it is a pretty good fit for the Brembo Caliper. There is no pad over-hang either which is a good thing.

2)I already have the bracket design and all the dimensions drawn up so all that is needed to enter production is a couple of members as well as me buying enough aluminium to produce the brackets. I am willing to work out some kind of group deal though if there are more then 3 people interested in this. Please do keep in mind that a block of aluminium from McMaster is roughly $75 and that is enough for 1 set of brackets. There is/will be a lead time of about 2 weeks so please keep that in mind.

3) These brackets only will work with the Brembo Caliper from the Evolution 8/9. They will not fit the 300zx caliper.

4) As far as stopping power, at this point it will be difficult for me to replicate that especially since I do not own a 6th gen bbk. Please do keep in mind that the Brembo Caliper is a 4 piston design and it is much lighter then the iron 1 piston nissan caliper.

Edit: Caliper weight is 8 pounds

Last edited by Shift_Max; 01-24-2012 at 04:26 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:28 PM

Edit: Do something for the rear now, and i will marry you kthx

Last edited by aackshun; 01-23-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:17 PM

My question is with this being done what would be the smallest wheel available for the cars now??... I planned on getting 16" GXE wheels or 240sx wheels and some radials for track season, would this still be possible??

EDIT: failure to read the complete staement... anyways any idea on the smallest offset of 17" wheel will this thing fit???.... id love is but man I do want my 16's lls

Last edited by Grand_hustle17; 01-23-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:19 PM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

i will take one for the 13" cobra rotors if these brackets work on the z32 calipers
Old 01-24-2012, 04:39 AM

Please understand guys that at this moment I am not doing anything utilizing the 13" Cobra rotor or the 300zx Calipers. These brackets are specific to the 12.6" 6th gen maxima rotor and brembo caliper.

As fas as wheels, I can elaborate on that. The OEM wheel Size on a Evo 8 is 17x8 with a +35 offset. And the design of those wheels is a flat face. That gives people a rough idea of what kind of specs they would need in a wheel for it to clear the calipers. Please do keep in mind that even with calipers like the 300zx or the Wilwood or these Brembo, you do sacrifice the ability to run high offset wheels or really small diameter wheels.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:02 AM

I am in!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2012, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
My question is with this being done what would be the smallest wheel available for the cars now??... I planned on getting 16" GXE wheels or 240sx wheels and some radials for track season, would this still be possible??

EDIT: failure to read the complete staement... anyways any idea on the smallest offset of 17" wheel will this thing fit???.... id love is but man I do want my 16's lls
just have to suffer w/ lightweight 17s...either that or keep your OEM front brake setup and switch out before you hit the track
Old 01-24-2012, 05:26 AM

To the individuals that might be interested, would you guys be willing to put some kind of deposit down? This way I would be able to purchase aluminium to start the small production run. This is if there are at least 3 people to jump on this. But as of now it looks like there is only 1 individual that has posted interest in this.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:10 AM

*scratches head* why are you considering running 16s??? Is it for street racing or something?

Just shave down your stock calipers and get good pads if you're only concerned about running 16s (or 15s).

Better yet, just be an F1 car and use 13's

17s/18s have the best selection in tires (for our cars) for the road course, anything smaller for our cars and you have to run too big of a sidewall unless you have like a 255 or something huge, which again I don't see too many guys running 16x9 or 16x10s here anyways.

This mod is for people who corner their car, not for people who accelerate in straight lines and then slow down.

And if you just want it for show then just get the brake caliper covers, they're just as effective.

Last edited by aackshun; 01-24-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:22 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Shift_Max

Now I am trying to see if there is an interest from the maxima community for a production run of relocation brackets. The end-user will of course source the Brembo calipers from places like ebay or junkyards and etc. Pads and rotors can be bough from places like tirerack or even the group deal section of this forum.
Eff yes there is.

It's also dependent on spoke design. There may be some "aggressive" (not in offset) spoke designs and with the right offset, it might work.

But no way are GXE 16's nor 240's going to clear this. IMO, I could and may be wrong. On that note, Shift, do you have a rough (or precise) measurement ball park similar to what Jeffs & Matts method? i.e., measure from this point and x.xx" is required to clear this.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-24-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:51 AM

^^^

To answer your question in regards to measurements on clearance, i do not have any especially since the wheels that I own all clear any big calipers. I just know for a fact some OEM wheels will not work at all. For example like the 5th gen and the 5.5 gen OEM wheels, 6th gen 17s and 18s, some of the 350z wheels.
And you are correct about spoke design of the wheel having an impact on clearance. Wheels like the AE 18's which were offered on the 350z will clear the calipers.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun
*scratches head* why are you considering running 16s??? Is it for street racing or something?

Just shave down your stock calipers and get good pads if you're only concerned about running 16s (or 15s).

Better yet, just be an F1 car and use 13's

17s/18s have the best selection in tires (for our cars) for the road course, anything smaller for our cars and you have to run too big of a sidewall unless you have like a 255 or something huge, which again I don't see too many guys running 16x9 or 16x10s here anyways.

This mod is for people who corner their car, not for people who accelerate in straight lines and then slow down.

And if you just want it for show then just get the brake caliper covers, they're just as effective.
Its for drag racing and seeing as though running around with 16's have been working for me then I'll keep em.....

You do know I don't trailer my car to the track right?? Like I drive my car daily and go around turns too u know..... srry I didn't know this was absolutely only limited to cars that autocross
Old 01-24-2012, 07:32 AM

Nice mod. It's weird when others say it won't fit,or it can't work,especially the stealership .Someone always finds a way. Great job on them big brakes.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:51 AM

Its for drag racing and seeing as though running around with 16's have been working for me then I'll keep em.....

You do know I don't trailer my car to the track right?? Like I drive my car daily and go around turns too u know..... srry I didn't know this was absolutely only limited to cars that autocross
It really is though, it's overkill for the daily oh I will go up this mountain pass twistie really aggressively. There are plenty of options for more than enough braking power, and if calipers+rotors don't do the job then you can look elsewhere for more braking power.

Hell, it's kinda overkill for me, and I go to the track once a month, but that ride I got in a M3 one time had me hooked, I've convinced myself that I need better braking power at all cost, I already have the lightweight 17s and proper tire size, I just need better bite on all four corners.

OP Question:

What is to be done about the lines?

Last edited by aackshun; 01-24-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:13 AM

As far as lines, the OEM 5th gen/5.5 gen lines bolt right up to the caliper. This is because the Brembo caliper uses a banjo bolt just like the oem calipers. Now you always have the option of going with Goodridge SS lines and they will bolt up as well since they are a replacement for the OEM lines.

Now to give you guys a rough idea on pricing,

Brembo Calipers can be usually found on ebay from roughly $300-$350 for the front set. Sometimes they are even equipped with decent pads already and all the hardware. Empty calipers can be even cheaper.
6th gen rotors I have found on Tirerack for $60. These are blank Centric rotors which are produced by Powerslot rotors.
Goodridge SS lines for all 4 corners are roughly $100 if you want to upgrade.
Then pads average on tirerack average from $60 and up depending on the type of pad/material.

Considering the price, it is a great upgrade IMO. Plus the added benefit of less weight from the lighter caliper.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:19 AM

It really is though, it's overkill for the daily oh I will go up this mountain pass twistie really aggressively. There are plenty of options for more than enough braking power, and if calipers+rotors don't do the job then you can look elsewhere for more braking power.

Hell, it's kinda overkill for me, and I go to the track once a month, but that ride I got in a M3 one time had me hooked, I've convinced myself that I need better braking power at all cost, I already have the lightweight 17s and proper tire size, I just need better bite on all four corners.

OP Question:

What is to be done about the lines?
I'm sure ppl don't use the maximum braking at all times but it looks better in the wheel and it stops better, good enough to get it..... I mean who really care for the exact stopping distance between the 2??.....
Old 01-24-2012, 08:24 AM
dot dot dot ...

Can't forget about brake fluid, if you're AX'ing.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:48 AM
^ Jeff™

Good job Shift_Max...now I see why you were asking about Evo Brembos in my thread.

Brembos are at a better cost off the Evo 8/9 than they are from a 350z/G35 so that's a plus as well! Good luck.
(nice weight savings too)
Old 01-24-2012, 10:34 AM

^ Thank you

I do agree with you that the Brembo calipers from the 350z/g35 are over-priced for some odd reason. I usually see those go for around $700ish just for the front alone.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:25 AM

I'm sure ppl don't use the maximum braking at all times but it looks better in the wheel and it stops better, good enough to get it..... I mean who really care for the exact stopping distance between the 2??.....
Then why don't you have "NISSAN" or "MAXIMA" welded to a 6th gen caliper? Or get those fake covers on 6th gen brakes? Or Altima SE-R Calipers? You can shave those down to fit 16s and you would achieve what you want.

Or just get 17s and call it a day

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Can't forget about brake fluid, if you're AX'ing.
SUPA BLUE AWL DAE ERR DAE
Originally Posted by Shift_Max
^ Thank you

I do agree with you that the Brembo calipers from the 350z/g35 are over-priced for some odd reason. I usually see those go for around $700ish just for the front alone.
The scary part is that they SELL at those prices

This is an awesome find/mod/creation man, thanks a lot definitely on my tax to-do list.

Last edited by aackshun; 01-24-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:10 PM
^ Jeff™

I saw some Evo Brembos on eBay for ~100 each a minute ago...

Old 01-24-2012, 12:58 PM

Then why don't you have "NISSAN" or "MAXIMA" welded to a 6th gen caliper? Or get those fake covers on 6th gen brakes? Or Altima SE-R Calipers? You can shave those down to fit 16s and you would achieve what you want.

Or just get 17s and call it a day

SUPA BLUE AWL DAE ERR DAE

The scary part is that they SELL at those prices

This is an awesome find/mod/creation man, thanks a lot definitely on my tax to-do list.
If you can do it then do it.... I don't wanna waste my time doing that........ they look better simply put.... why does anybody here own a cattman catback when a custom shop can do it for significantly less???........ ppl don't always buy crap fo function, sometimes its form n in this case I just like how this looks and my calipers will be seized up any moment now so yea, so what if I don't want to auto x or use the full stopping power for a BBK 24/7, doesn't mean I shouldn't get it.... ppl buy what they want.... why do ppl paint they interior house walls???? Ain't going up for a show nor display.......... I'm just bringing up random shyt to say everything in life doesn't have to equate to practicality, ppl just ant the damn thing, that's good enough

Last edited by Grand_hustle17; 01-24-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:04 PM

If you can do it the do it.... I don't wanna waste my time doing that........ thy look better simply put.... why does anybody here own a cattman catback when a custom shop can do it for significantly less???........ ppl don't always buy crap fo function, sometimes its form n in this case I just like how this looks and my calipers will be seized up any moment now so yea o what if I don't want to auto x or use the full stopping power for a BBK 24/7, doesn't mean I shouldn't get it.... ppl buy what they want.... why do ppl pint they interior house walls???? Ain't going up for a show nor display.......... I'm just bringing up random shyt to say everything in life doesn't have to equate to practicality, ppl just ant the damn thing, that's good enough
You're missing my point.

Lets put it this way.....

You want the cattman 3" because it sounds good and looks good, but you don't want to install the headers to get the full benefit of it.

The 3" isn't priced/made as a looks and sound exhaust, it's a performance mod.

Same as these calipers, they're meant for more than just the typical windy downhill road and on/off ramp queens, that's why you will NOT see any type of real serious braking kit for heavier cars like us are going to be for running 17" or bigger tires. It's the way the game is played on the track.

Last edited by aackshun; 01-24-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:15 PM

I won't be on a 16" rim all my life dude... I want regulr wheels for when I go on a "whatever hill" or turns too.... I didn't sa I wantedto buy a BBK to race at the track or nothing like that.... I just said I wanted a set..... I then ask will this BBK's clear 16's as I do like to drag race n when in do can I throw some 16's and drag radials on the car... simple.... I wasn't buying em with the intention tha they will improve on my 1/4 times
Old 01-24-2012, 01:21 PM

I won't be on a 16" rim all my life dude... I want regulr wheels for when I go on a "whatever hill" or turns too.... I didn't sa I wantedto buy a BBK to race at the track or nothing like that.... I just said I wanted a set..... I then ask will this BBK's clear 16's as I do like to drag race n when in do can I throw some 16's and drag radials on the car... simple.... I wasn't buying em with the intention tha they will improve on my 1/4 times
Well then I clearly misunderstood your post.

#imdone.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:27 PM

I'm down for a set ! My max desperately needs a brake upgrade!
Old 01-24-2012, 04:37 PM

If they for the factory 17s or the g35 17s, I'm up for a set!!!
Old 01-24-2012, 06:05 PM

Only b/c it hasn't been mentioned yet: would the weight of the one-piece 6th gen rotor make the weight savings of the caliper negligible?

(this is a general question for item info clarity only)
Old 01-24-2012, 06:39 PM

Factory wheels from the 5th/5.5 gen will not clear. However I am not sure about the 17's from the g35. I do know the 18's will clear since they g35 did come with the Brembo calipers.

As far as the weight, the 12.6" rotor is a bit heavier then the stock rotor. I do not recall the exact weight as of this moment but I can weigh it. However the caliper will offset the weight since the iron 1 piston caliper is much heavier then 8 pounds. The end package though (Brembo caliper and 12.6" rotor) will be lighter then the 6th gen Iron caliper and 12.6" rotor.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Shift...I am totally on board for this. Just say the word and I will put down a deposit. I was going to order a setup from fastbrakes in a couple of weeks, but this is perfect.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:15 PM

If it not too difficult, can I get the individuals that interested and will commit to 100% to post their names so I can have a tentative list of how many sets to produce. I am just trying to get a more exact quote for the aluminium.

Thank You guys.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:13 AM

Do it fellas, its crazy the way this thing can stop ! I had the wildwood bbk on my car with the 12.6 rotor they stop very good as well . Then i got these calipers for dirt cheap sent them out to TRG coating got some 13.1 cobra rotors and got some ferodo brake pads and got the braket made. It looks good and the brake power is worth every pennie . Not that many people have them .

Old 01-25-2012, 02:50 AM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

^^that's one sexy ***** right there.... yo im a pass by right after work so we can put the scanner and see what that code is
Old 01-25-2012, 04:17 AM

*jizz*
Old 01-25-2012, 06:05 AM
^ Jeff™

Originally Posted by phatboislim
*jizz*
OT - You're doing that a lot on Maxima pics.

Quick Reply: Brembo Big Brake Kit for the 5th/5.5 gen maxima