5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

FM Reception with Aftermarket Deck

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 08:18 AM

FM Reception with Aftermarket Deck

Hey Guys

Yes I did try posting in the Audio section but not getting any views or responses. Anyone with a 5th gen and aftermarket deck have good luck with getting better FM signal quality?

It's gone to crap, I am using the diversity plug adapter from Metra and have the blue wire hooked up. I'll be pulling it back out this weekend triple checking the ground (I did ground the deck to a metal piece there) but then I also grounded the black wires from the harness to that same wire so I want to try pulling grounds from the harness and run them separately.

My old honda had no problem with a window antenna and aftermarket pioneer deck.

And for those that are going to respond with you upgrade the deck to get away from FM I like listening to morning shows on my drive in to work.

So what other suggestions to bring the FM quality back up to the way it was with the stock bose deck. On strong stations I'm pullling it in but as I'm driving it kind of gets weak some stations that pulled in fine on stock deck aren't very weak to the point I can't hear.

Thanks

Last edited by mau108; 02-03-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:29 AM

This is a really good question. I have the same issue with my aftermarket unit. I didn't have the problem on my Blazer, but for some reason I get AWFUL reception in my maxima. I just ignored it because I usually have my own music, but sometimes that gets old.

If/When you find an answer, please post.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:31 AM

I am in the same boat. I put in an aftermarket and now I get one radio station and I near Los Angeles and I can't even get those stations. Hopefully someone can give us a hint as to what to do.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Stopsignhank
I am in the same boat. I put in an aftermarket and now I get one radio station and I near Los Angeles and I can't even get those stations. Hopefully someone can give us a hint as to what to do.
Your issue sounds like you haven't hooked up the power (blue wire) to the power antenna wire on the harness. do that and you should start picking up more.

In my pioneer's manual it says the output on that blue wire is 300mah / 12v max. I'm wondering if that is not enough for the antenna amp, should I wire the blue wire from the harness (vehicle side) to the red ignition wire ? I wouldn't want to connect to the yellow wire as that is constant 12v, being hooked up to that it will kill my battery in no time with the vehicle off.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by mau108
Your issue sounds like you haven't hooked up the power (blue wire) to the power antenna wire on the harness. do that and you should start picking up more.

In my pioneer's manual it says the output on that blue wire is 300mah / 12v max. I'm wondering if that is not enough for the antenna amp, should I wire the blue wire from the harness (vehicle side) to the red ignition wire ? I wouldn't want to connect to the yellow wire as that is constant 12v, being hooked up to that it will kill my battery in no time with the vehicle off.
My reception is definitely worse with aftermaket deck and yes my blue antenna wire connected
Old 02-03-2012, 07:31 PM

I had the same problem when I bought my car last summer. For me, it was that the previous owner did not connect the blue wire. Once I connected that the reception was great. I've always had the aftermarket deck so I can't compare it to the stock deck but the reception is as good or better than what it was in my Jeep Cherokee with a stock deck.

I curious though, when I was first researching my problem I came across some posts that mentioned that some tints would interfere with the in-glass antenna. Do you have tint on the back window? I had been planning on taking my tint off and when I did that my reception MAY have gotten very slightly better, but it could have been just in my mind. Bt again, my blue wire was not connected and that is what made the real difference for me.

Good luck with your issue. I know I was missing my AM and FM very much until I had that blue wire discovery.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:50 AM

I had same issue, Used the metra 40-NI10 , did not work well, found a trick, using the same connector, where the 2 pin nissan connector plugs into the metra part, put it in backwords, when you do it right the little tab on the nissan plug will be opposite of the one on the metra part. i get all the stations now.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:23 PM

I checked it out and I did not hook up the blue wire. My previous Maxima had a power antenna and since this one does not I must have figured, why hook it up if I don't have a power antenna? Well I did that today and I do get better reception.

Who'd a thunk it?
Old 02-05-2012, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Professor
I had same issue, Used the metra 40-NI10 , did not work well, found a trick, using the same connector, where the 2 pin nissan connector plugs into the metra part, put it in backwords, when you do it right the little tab on the nissan plug will be opposite of the one on the metra part. i get all the stations now.
That didn't work. Got worse. Anyone think if we use the 40-NI11 instead of 40-NI10 would work better?

Old 02-08-2012, 10:08 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Installer who did the HU in my first Maxima said the best thing would be to purchase one of those 12" rubber antennas and stuff it up under the dash. Ended up not doing anything since I had a USB port and sound quality through my iPod was a lot better.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:17 PM

Your never going to get good reception through the the HU alone. The best bet if you must have good radio reception is to get an aftermarket antenna or get HD radio which is unbeatable in clarity