5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

U-turn question for you 5th genners

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by essential1
Turning radius isn't a problem for me. sure its not as good as other vehicles, but the way you guys describe it makes it seem like the car is damn near undrivable. I've never had to do a 3 point turn at an intersection. Just turn the wheel quickly to full lock and/or take the turn just a tad bit wider. After daily driving the same car for a while, one would think this would come natural over a short period of time.

Now parking spaces on the other hand, I understand. I usually reverse in though.
I couldn't have said it better myself +1000000000000000000000000
Old 02-09-2012, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by BigLou55
Anyone with decent driving ability can make up for a cars wide turn radius, I was being funny and serious at the same time...if you can't make up for what the car lacks then a 5th gen isn't for you.
Not a question of being ABLE to compensate for a poorly designed steering system, but rather, not WANTING to NEED to.

For some, it doesn't matter. For me, I want a car that steers at least half-way as good as it SHOULD for it's size. The 5th gen doesn't, not even close. Driving ability or adaptation has nothing to do with it.

Let's say you buy a new car and it freaking stinks on the inside. I mean it's disgusting, but it only smells when you park, and it's impossible to change it.
So you should just suck it up and use your superior mental control to overcome the smell everytime you park.

Overkill? Yes. But the point is, just because something IS a certain way, doesn't mean you NEED to 'live with it' and adjust to it. Saying that personal ability and driving skill is the proper and righteous way to deal with the insanely large steering radius on this car is just Ignorant.

Either way, you were somewhat kidding apparently, I just personally felt it a touch of a jab saying that we "can't make up for what the car lacks" because we're not good enough drivers. F'ing hogwash. Can you do a job that requires a 7/8 deep socket with an adjustable? Yes, you CAN, but it's a pain in the neck, your ability to use the tools has nothing to do with it, it's the fact that the tool is WRONG in the first place.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Not a question of being ABLE to compensate for a poorly designed steering system, but rather, not WANTING to NEED to.

For some, it doesn't matter. For me, I want a car that steers at least half-way as good as it SHOULD for it's size. The 5th gen doesn't, not even close. Driving ability or adaptation has nothing to do with it.

Let's say you buy a new car and it freaking stinks on the inside. I mean it's disgusting, but it only smells when you park, and it's impossible to change it.
So you should just suck it up and use your superior mental control to overcome the smell everytime you park.

Overkill? Yes. But the point is, just because something IS a certain way, doesn't mean you NEED to 'live with it' and adjust to it. Saying that personal ability and driving skill is the proper and righteous way to deal with the insanely large steering radius on this car is just Ignorant.

Either way, you were somewhat kidding apparently, I just personally felt it a touch of a jab saying that we "can't make up for what the car lacks" because we're not good enough drivers. F'ing hogwash. Can you do a job that requires a 7/8 deep socket with an adjustable? Yes, you CAN, but it's a pain in the neck, your ability to use the tools has nothing to do with it, it's the fact that the tool is WRONG in the first place.
You took that comment for more than what it was worth, really. My statement had no aim set for any individual and I definitely wasn't looking down my sights on it.
Your car smelling when its parks was an overkill analogy and didn't make a point. If the car stunk I wouldn't even WANT to cope with it because its a lot more noticeable than a wide turn radius. If you have a 5th gen you have four options for the wide turn radius: 1. Deal with it and adjust 2. Get rid of the car 3. Come up with a way to reduce to wide turn radius without screwing up another component of the vehicle 4. Get over it and do nothing. As essential1 said people were talking as if the car is impossible to drive and its just simply not the case.
I never said it was THE way(definitely the cheapest) to deal with it I said it was how I dealt with it because of my ability to adjust. At some point everyone will have to adjust to something. People do their best to make things ergonomic for society but its just not possible because you can't please everyone.

Seeing as how you still have your 5th gen and your input on this problem you appear to want to change it and more power to you bro. You did a great job on the 5.5 gen grill into 5th gen mod(Ill be contacting you with any ?'s about that), plus LEDs, so maybe the turn radius could be your next task.

Your deep socket analogy was interesting. But it appears you were using an assumption that I'm saying adjust to the wide turn radius is the answer, which is WRONG(I explained my comment further up). It seems like your saying its wrong to adjust your driving to the car you choose to drive, this case being the 5th gen. But every car drives different so I hope you weren't saying that.

The 5th gen was designed with this turn radius. Is it bad? yes. On the other hand lets say the MAF sensor goes bad and I can't rev over 2500 rpm. Am I gonna adjust my skill and stay in the slow lane every time I go somewhere? Nope I going to get a new MAF sensor so I can drive the car how it was designed to be driven. I'm not big on performance mods so I just drive the car as it was designed and im ok with that, as I'm positive many aren't and that's cool too. I enjoy reading a good s/c thread.

I'm in college and this was one of the cars I was willing to get within my budget, I did my research on the car and had an idea of what I was getting into before I purchased it(common issues, turn radius, tranny, etc). I got over it quickly because its a great car(my first car ever) to have, reliable, easy to work on, and generally fun to drive. Me wanting an 03 6spd demonstrates im over the turn radius among other things.

Just keep in mind your reading words so how things are meant can seem very different than if you actually heard me say it.