5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

'02 Fuel Filter. Got pics? Got Part # ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 09:19 PM

'02 Fuel Filter. Got pics? Got Part # ?

Well, my Max started randomly dying on me or shutting off completely while driving. Pretty sure its a fuel issue b/c its starts right back up. Since buying the car I haven't done a fuel filter, and after researching on here found out that it should be done every 15k-30k miles.

I stopped at autozone, and advanced and they said it's "unserviceable". But after reading on here, I was under the impression that there is a in-line fuel filter under the hood.

Does anyone have pics of the location? and a OEM part number?

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:29 PM

It's in the tank and is "unserviceable" according to the dealers, but as you apparently read on the forums, it can be replaced...
Old 03-19-2012, 06:04 AM

The location is under the rear seat (have to pull out the rear seat). Not hard to access at all just be careful of the gas spraying out if there is still pressure in the line. A couple of quick searches should lead you to the part number. Make sure you get the o-ring as well.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

I don't know about every 15K or 30K miles...I would say more along the lines of 60K.

Just follow the write-up and be careful with the lines, especially the fuel line in the fuel assembly where the filter and fuel pump are. I ended up cracking one of my lines the first time (although it still held firm) and broke it the second time. They are a real pain in the butt and it helps to have a second person with those.

A new filter and o-ring (top of gas tank) should run you about $25 to $30 from the dealer.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:36 AM

http://nissanpartsasap.com/nissanpar...&illust_seq=01

filter: 16400-2Y505
o-ring: 17342-01A00
Old 03-19-2012, 11:57 AM

And here's your write-up: http://www.shiftice.com/fuel_filter.html

Easy and inexpensive maintenance item. However, be sure to put a big towel around the area when you disconnect that fuel line. It will squirt, and not in a good way.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:10 PM

Awesome! Thanks so much for the help!

Just got it installed and it starting right up now! I took it for a little test run and it feels like its pulling much harder, like back in the day when it had 20k on the clock! (Now 177k) The true test will be on the commute tomorrow to see if it dies ever or has trouble starting.

Thanks for all the help with part numbers and links, the writeup was probably one of the easiest things to ever follow, so thanks to whoever set all that up!

On a side note if I were to do this again, I would run the gas until almost empty so I could wipe out the siphon tray that fuel pump assembly pulls from because there was some debris in the there that I couldn't get out 100% with having a 1/4 tank.

Originally Posted by OnOiShNo0dl3Z
The location is under the rear seat (have to pull out the rear seat). Not hard to access at all just be careful of the gas spraying out if there is still pressure in the line. A couple of quick searches should lead you to the part number. Make sure you get the o-ring as well.
Thanks so much for the tip on the gas under pressure! If I didn't read this and use a Towel to block the spray of fuel my car would've been done for!

Last edited by NmexMAX; 03-23-2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
And here's your write-up: http://www.shiftice.com/fuel_filter.html

Easy and inexpensive maintenance item. However, be sure to put a big towel around the area when you disconnect that fuel line. It will squirt, and not in a good way.

Easy for a mechanic maybe, but easy for the average enthusiast, I doubt it. Not that I have done it myself, but I have read up on it. Getting the fuel pump assembly out seems straight forward enough. It's after that things appear to get more intense.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by spock
Easy for a mechanic maybe, but easy for the average enthusiast, I doubt it. Not that I have done it myself, but I have read up on it. Getting the fuel pump assembly out seems straight forward enough. It's after that things appear to get more intense.
No, the pump assembly comes right apart. The trick is to figure out a way to hold back all the clips at the same time so the halves can separate. But seriously, that's the most complex thing. WTF, spock? I'm just a keyboard jockey, you're the one who works with his hands on HVAC devices every day. This is a no-brainer for you.

Be a man. Change your fuel strainer.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:30 AM

I'm looking to get a new fuel pump or maybe just a new fuel filter for my 00 Max as I'm having what seems to be the same problem. I found a fuel pump from autopartswarehouse that comes with a new filter as well. And then there's a fuel pump from autozone which doesn't say whether or not it comes with a filter, but says I'll need to get a fuel strainer as well. Being that I need my car to get back to school after this lovely spring break, I'm looking for a quick solution to this and if I have to order the parts then I'll be doing overnight shipping. Which way should I be leaning towards? Just a filter? Autopartswarehouse fuel pump with filter? Or autozone fuel pump and strainer? Or perhaps even another route altogether.

Also a fuel filter and fuel strainer are two different things correct? Because there's this which looks like the strainer from autozone http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...QQBS68018.html

And this which looks like more of an actual filter
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...EC0433022.html

Last edited by 00MaxMayne; 03-23-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by 00MaxMayne
Also a fuel filter and fuel strainer are two different things correct?
Nope. Nissan doesn't call it a "fuel filter", they call it a "fuel strainer", and it's a component of the pump, which is in the tank, accessed from underneath the back seat.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:06 AM

There is a strainer and a filter. The filter is inside the assembly you pull out of the tank and the strainer is literally hanging on the bottom of that assembly. It is a prefilter to strain out large debris before entering the filter.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:08 AM

The strainer is that rectangular bag to the far left in this picture.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:17 PM

Well, look like that was only part of the problem. After coming to a complete stop after being caught by a train crossing, it died. Didnt stutter or anything , just died. Started back up after a few cranks.

I think i'm going to start looking further down the fuel system, injector(s)possibly clogged?
Old 03-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Banned

Maby coil or MAF do you have a cel?look up the MAF cleaning thread and give it a try it wont hurt anything.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:38 PM

Bad MAF wouldn't really result in his car completely dying though. Worth a shot i guess...
Old 03-29-2012, 05:27 PM

Curious, OP did you ever find a solution to this problem? I feel like I may be having the same problem, I changed the fuel pump and fuel filter this week and my car drove for about 10 miles before dying on me once again. I'm going to check to make sure my vacuum hoses and MAF are alright but I don't think those are my problems.

I have a CEL but can't get my car to a shop to get it checked out and I don't have a reader of my own.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:08 PM

Failing crank or cam sensors can cause this issue.

It may not cause a SES light to trigger until the sensor is all the way dead, however.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:07 PM

Need a couple answer as well,i have a bad fuel pump on my 01 car is bone stock except berk intake i was thinking about getting walbro 255 fuel pump and also regular do you guys think its ok to go with high pressure fuel pump and i will be doing some mod's later not anytime soon also whats a good regulator?
Old 03-30-2012, 03:41 AM
RR5

Originally Posted by Stonelove670
Need a couple answer as well,i have a bad fuel pump on my 01 car is bone stock except berk intake i was thinking about getting walbro 255 fuel pump and also regular do you guys think its ok to go with high pressure fuel pump and i will be doing some mod's later not anytime soon also whats a good regulator?
Just go with a salvage yard part. I picked up the fuel pump assembly for $70 shipped.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by 00MaxMayne
Curious, OP did you ever find a solution to this problem? I feel like I may be having the same problem, I changed the fuel pump and fuel filter this week and my car drove for about 10 miles before dying on me once again. I'm going to check to make sure my vacuum hoses and MAF are alright but I don't think those are my problems.

I have a CEL but can't get my car to a shop to get it checked out and I don't have a reader of my own.

Not yet, I have a CEL too and im the same boat, I am going to start a new thread on this problem now.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:22 PM

I just replaced my filter at 98k miles with a Beck/Arnley replacement filter from Amazon. To those considering the Beck/Arnley filter, I do not recommend it. It looks identical to an OEM filter and my idle is better after changing it, but the plastic tabs on the filter do not line up properly and must be trimmed/bent slightly in order to get it to fit in the fuel pump assembly.

I will be ordering an OEM filter from courtesy to keep in my garage in case the Beck/Arnley ever gives me problems.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:55 PM

I replaced my fuel filter a few years ago and noticed no difference whatsoever in acceleration or fuel economy.

I'm sure there is a benefit, but nothing noticeable nor measurable. As long as you're not constantly driving on fumes or a near-empty tank, I think Nissan is correct in just leaving it be. I certainly won't do it again. Do-able, but a pain in the ****, and it's a job only recommended for intermediate to advanced DIYers.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:30 PM

For the benefit of those looking to change the fuel strainer, here's another good writeup: http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...up-thread.html

I just did mine today, along with plugs and PCV valve (to cure insane pinging), and all together, it made a huge difference in increased performance.