5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How to change engine mount and transmission mount?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 03:20 PM

How to change engine mount and transmission mount?

Hey,
I changed the bottom two mounts (electricals), there were good instructions on those.

Does anyone have instructions on how to change the other two (non electrical) ?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:24 AM
Suspension Yoda

Pretty much same theory. Support engine, remove mounts, line everything back up, bolt it back up.

Transmission mount - remove airbox and battery. You can't miss it.

Transverse - you'll have to remove the wheel to get the bolt facing downwards. A U-joint helps.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:27 PM

Thanks. To do it I need to jackup engine with the carjack and piece of wood under oil pan?
Old 03-26-2012, 12:49 PM

yes oil pan to crossmember
Old 03-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Suspension Yoda

You don't necessarily need to jack it up to support the engine/transmission while the 2 mounts are out - as the other two can bear the weight.

But you will have to jack it up to relieve pressure on the 2 mounts so that you can remove them, and a jack will also help to raise/lower the engine slightly as you line everything back up to reinstall.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:17 PM

You can also get to the bottom of the side mount from under the front bumper between the splash guard if you dont feel like jacking up your car and/or taking your wheel off. You need a swivel and and swivel socket and a long extension. I broke a swivel getting it loose but it was a harbor freight special...
Old 03-26-2012, 01:55 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Pretty much same theory. Support engine, remove mounts, line everything back up, bolt it back up.

Transverse - you'll have to remove the wheel to get the bolt facing downwards. A U-joint helps.
This. Except for the passenger mount...

No need to remove the wheel, but you can. It can be reached from under the hood(this takes forever) or with stacked extensions from underneath the front of the engine.

Edit: Someone beat me to it. ^^^
Old 03-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Suspension Yoda

Lol yea. Wheel doesn't HAVE to come off, but it helps. And removing the splash guard also helps.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:48 PM

Thanks a lot. Would it be a lot easier to change to mounts at once or I can do one by one? Also I checked infinitipartsusa and mounts are pretty expensive. Can you refer me to the cheapest oem mounts?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:20 AM
Suspension Yoda

You can do one by one, except for F/R - it's best to do both at once because the labor is identical whether you do one or both - they're both mounted on the same crossmember.

Also, you do NOT have to replace F/R with electric mounts. You can replace them with non-electric mounts from a Max with manual transmission.

Plenty of aftermarket options - check www.rockauto.com, NAPA, etc.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:55 PM

Thanks. I actually replaced F and R. At first I put regular not wired from ebay, but they were horrible. A lot of vibration. So then I spend bunch of money and put OEM wired mounts and that was a huge difference, well worth the money. Car speeds VEERY QUIET.

So I am planning on getting OEM mounts for left and right. So if you will find place better than infinitipartsusa, please let me know

Thanks
Old 03-28-2012, 04:50 AM
Suspension Yoda

Interesting.

You can try www.nissanpartsasap.com - they have pretty competitive prices. Their shipping calculator is a bit on the high side - I tend to call to confirm the order (if I go with them)

You can also try Rusty @ Gunn Nissan. Here's the info:
http://forums.maxima.org/dealership-...ntonio-tx.html
Old 03-03-2013, 06:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

For transmission mount access, will I also have to remove the metal plate hat the battery sits on?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:05 AM
Suspension Yoda

I don't remember 100%, but I'm thinking no.

However if you do, you do. Not a big deal.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by finaoxl
For transmission mount access, will I also have to remove the metal plate hat the battery sits on?
I changed the transmission mount 2 weeks ago and I didn't have to touch the battery at all, let alone the metal plate, except for disconnecting the positive terminal, as a precaution. You should go ahead and remove them if you feel more comfortable having the extra room to maneuver the main connecting bolt. I tackled that bolt from under that plate, using a ratchet with an extension bar.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I don't remember 100%, but I'm thinking no.

However if you do, you do. Not a big deal.
Ok, true not a big deal. Just wanted to know how labor Intensive it will be. Ive already changed the side mount with no problem. F/R were changed 40, 000 miles ago. So im gonna do the trans mount today. How about the duralast ones sold at autozone? Its the only place I can get one from today.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Nelsito65
I changed the transmission mount 2 weeks ago and I didn't have to touch the battery at all, let alone the metal plate, except for disconnecting the positive terminal, as a precaution. You should go ahead and remove them if you feel more comfortable having the extra room to maneuver the main connecting bolt. I tackled that bolt from under that plate, using a ratchet with an extension bar.
NICE! I have all the tools i need to tackle the job, (thanks to harbor freight being <10 mins away, lol!) So i didnt want to make the job longer than necessary. i think i will start with this method and go from there. thanks to both you and djfrestyl for a speedy reply on this early Sunday morning. You guys are lifesavers! Going outside to try my luck.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by finaoxl
NICE! I have all the tools i need to tackle the job, (thankis to harbor freight being <10 mins away, lol!) So i didnt want to make the job longer than necessary. i think i will start with this method and go from there. thanks to both you and djfrestyl for a speedy reply on this early Sunday morning. You guys are lifesavers! Going outside to try my luck.
Took me an hour but I got it done. Drives like a different car. Thanks for the assstance Nelsito65 and djfrestyl.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:12 PM

Good work, it's crazy everyone says don't get the oem wired motor mounts , get the manual, but the manual ones have a vibration

I changed the front motor mount to the oem wired one because thats what came up when I looked for a replacement , then I was told manual mount is fine and I'll save money, So I ordered a manual rear mount installed and car vibrates like crazy, now i got to do this again in the rear for a smoother ride
Old 03-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Suspension Yoda

You probably got cheap replacement mounts.

Quality manual mounts don't have a vibration. Or your engine is not very healthy and has a very bad idle.

I thought I was doing the work?
Old 03-03-2013, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by kingofny1997
Good work, it's crazy everyone says don't get the oem wired motor mounts , get the manual, but the manual ones have a vibration

I changed the front motor mount to the oem wired one because thats what came up when I looked for a replacement , then I was told manual mount is fine and I'll save money, So I ordered a manual rear mount installed and car vibrates like crazy, now i got to do this again in the rear for a smoother ride
You probably got cheap replacement mounts.

Quality manual mounts don't have a vibration. Or your engine is not very healthy and has a very bad idle.

I thought I was doing the work?

I replaced my electronic mount to regular mount (OEM) on my GLE with no vibration problems.
ES or Red Lion insert bushings are also a great, low cost replacement.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Suspension Yoda

There WILL be a noticeable difference in vibration with ES mounts. But it should be minimal or nothing with quality non-electronic replacement mounts.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

i have to replace the tranny mount on mine but dont have the to tools, any1 close to Philly that might want to help me on this?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Suspension Yoda

I'm off exit 8a on NJ Turnpike. Let me know if you want to drive up. About 50 minutes from Philly.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lontar1
i have to replace the tranny mount on mine but dont have the to tools, any1 close to Philly that might want to help me on this?
I thought you were in Florida, Boricua. I could've helped.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:33 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Originally Posted by Nelsito65
I thought you were in Florida, Boricua. I could've helped.
Relocated to Philly back in January, but I drive back and forth, love the drive, Yeah right. Thanks but I lost my tools before the move, long story, and buying new tools is out of the question at this moment.