5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Lots of problems with my Maxima.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Lots of problems with my Maxima.

Let me start off by saying I have researched and searched this site for possible answers to no avail. Now let me tell the whole story so I may get some good honest opinions on what to do.

Around a month ago a good friend of mine gave me his 2000 Maxima SE 5 speed. The reason he gave me the car was he took the intake manifold back in November off to change rear valve cover gasket as it was leaking severely. According to him he had some trouble getting the intake off because he was unaware of the bolts an the back of intake holding it securely to the block. After figuring out the problem and replacing all necessary gasket he went to start the car and it was a no start. He gave up and let the car sit for a couple of months. I got the car and immediately took the manifold off to discover some stuff unplugged and the EGR tube going into the bottom of the intake not secured properly. I started it. It ran but with a sever miss. After replacing the coil pack that had went bad the car ran great for 1 whole day.

The problems I have developed.
1.After revving engine or coming to a stop from high speed the car will die. It will also randomly idle down and die while sitting at stop light. Researched and replaced MAF and IACV. Same problem. I have scanned the computer no codes and no CEL. I am afraid he cracked the intake trying to "pry" it off. I have searched for vacuum leaks but cannot find any. I am stumped. Right now I have to Throttle stop screw screwed out to make the car idle higher( 1300 RPMS ) and occasionally the car will still die after revving or stopping but not as much. I will also randomly die immediately after starting it.
2. It has started making a "pinging" or spark knock noise at 3 thousand RPM. The engine also feels sluggish. It just does not feel as if it has the power it should. Also note it only makes this noise after warming up. It has new plugs and 2 new coil packs. Again no CEL.
3. Clutch seems to have a mind of its own. One minute it will let let out straight off the floor the next at the very top. Its very confusing as the car has a new trans and clutch. It was also bled properly.

My friend states, and he is very trustworthy, the car never had any of these problems before his attempted repair (besides the weird clutch). Just wondering if anyone has any ideas as I love this car and plan on keeping it as my DD (selling other car eventually). I am just about ready to buy a complete lower mileage used engine with all sensors and put that in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !!
Old 03-30-2012, 04:38 AM

I'de run a compression test on the cylinders.